Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 48 of 53
Re: OT: New Zepp platter announcement
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:12

DandelionPowderman
I really thought that this was about Sepp Blatter, Mike! grinning smiley
thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:14

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
I really thought that this was about Sepp Blatter, Mike! grinning smiley
thumbs up

Me too, I thought "oh he's spelled Sepp wrong".........funny......

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:17

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out and me being a hardcore-fan of Zepps 3 first albums...I Think they lost it with IV trying to be Genesis all of a sudden....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:20

Uh-huh, this town's full of money grabbers
Go ahead, bite the Big Apple, don't mind the maggots, huh
Shadoobie, my brain's been battered
My friends they come around they
Flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter, flatter
Pile it up, pile it high on the platter....

Date: June 4, 2015 14:45

Come On
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out and me being a hardcore-fan of Zepps 3 first albums...I Think they lost it with IV trying to be Genesis all of a sudden....

Can't see that much difference between III and IV myself.

Yes, there's acoustic based songs on IV in Battle Of Evermore, Stairway To Heaven and Going To California.

But on III there's Friends, Tangerine, That's The Way.

Did they lose their harder edge on IV? Most definitely not - Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks and When The Levee Breaks are pretty hard rocking to my ears.

Yes, there's a recorder on the intro of Stairway To Heaven but I can't see any other resemblance to prog rock on the album.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:52

I really like Hotdog.........cool smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:52

guess the triple coda is the most interesting.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 4, 2015 14:58

If anything, they became more progressive on Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence (all of which I love).

Kinda weird that Coda got all those bonus tracks that seemingly belong on other albums. God, I'm getting a bit fed up with all those deluxe editions of albums. I love getting unreleased stuff, especially from the Stones, but just make a good Anthology kind of release and don't release the albums for the 10th time...

Date: June 4, 2015 15:03

LieB
If anything, they became more progressive on Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence (all of which I love).

Kinda weird that Coda got all those bonus tracks that seemingly belong on other albums. God, I'm getting a bit fed up with all those deluxe editions of albums. I love getting unreleased stuff, especially from the Stones, but just make a good Anthology kind of release and don't release the albums for the 10th time...

My favourite, apart from the first album thumbs up

Rain Song is pure excellence!

Date: June 4, 2015 15:09

Love Houses of the Holy too but never understood why they speeded Plant's vocals up on Song Remains The Same. I think there are a few other examples.

Never happened with the Stones, did it?

Re: OT: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 4, 2015 18:56

Zep slowed their tape speed down as well. When The Levee Breaks is slowed down.

Stupid roman numeral numbers. Please use Arabic. HA HA!

Posted by: LedZep1 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 19:20

Late to the game on this one, but as my name would suggest, I am team Zep. Its hard to compare a band that lasted 10 yrs versus one that is still going 50+ years later though.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 4, 2015 19:32

Welcome LedZep1! Your screen name DOES indicate a little bias grinning smiley Have you considered to compare a recent Stones performance on film with Zeps "Celebration Day"?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 4, 2015 19:34

I get the feeling Page is sitting at home watching how much fun the Stones are having out on tour and wondering how he can get Robert to change his mind about another Zeppelin reunion or Page/Plant tour.

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 19:38

I think Plant knows he is the weak link in the fence at this point and believes he can't do justice to many of the songs, especially the harder rock one and the ones that require a higher register. Plus, he seems to be enjoying himself doing his own thing. Sadly, I dont think he would do more than maybe a couple one offs at this point.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 4, 2015 20:22

^^ Very sadly, I don't think Plant will ever agree to do any more one-offs at this point. He keeps hiding behind the loss of his friend, Bonzo, when the biggest reason is what you mentioned -- he can't properly sing Led Zeppelin songs from before September 1971, when he blew his voice out, let alone the 4-5 albums in their catalog (which were still tough to sing live consistently). His voice is nowhere near what it was in 1980, let alone 1971.

Page and Jones came up with the down-tuning for the O2 gig in 2007. The problem is if they keep tuning down to keep up with Plant's declining voice, before long Black Dog will have to be played in the sub-sonic "Key of Whale."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 20:25 by 5stringTele.

Date: June 4, 2015 20:30

LedZep1
I think Plant knows he is the weak link in the fence at this point and believes he can't do justice to many of the songs, especially the harder rock one and the ones that require a higher register. Plus, he seems to be enjoying himself doing his own thing. Sadly, I dont think he would do more than maybe a couple one offs at this point.

Hard to imagine Robert Plant as a weak link in any fence. I imagine Page's dexterity isn't what it used to be either, not that he was ever a particularly precise guitar player in concert. I also believe Plant when he says he's just more interested in moving forward and wouldn't be happy doing the same thing today that he did in the 70's. His musical tastes have matured where Page seems so infatuated with the licks he played in 1971 it's hard to imagine him as anything but his own biggest fan.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Zep fan and have learned much from Jimmy Page but certainly not for a long time. The same goes for Keith actually.

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 20:53

Naturalust
LedZep1

Hard to imagine Robert Plant as a weak link in any fence. I imagine Page's dexterity isn't what it used to be either, not that he was ever a particularly precise guitar player in concert. I also believe Plant when he says he's just more interested in moving forward and wouldn't be happy doing the same thing today that he did in the 70's. His musical tastes have matured where Page seems so infatuated with the licks he played in 1971 it's hard to imagine him as anything but his own biggest fan.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge Zep fan and have learned much from Jimmy Page but certainly not for a long time. The same goes for Keith actually.

peace

Agreed about Page. He seems more concerned about popularity and living off the good old days. I have seen Robert Plant a couple times live in the last few years and really enjoy what he is doing. I am sad that I will most likely never get to see LZ live, but at this point not sure I even want to. THey are legendary for their live performances and anything at this point would be a bit of let down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 20:53 by LedZep1.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:03

The comparison in this thread is between the Stones and Zep, so labeling Page as somebody who is just relying on past hits isn't relevant. The Stones are playing a setlist that is 80-90% pre-1980 (or so). Page just wants the opportunity to do the same.

Page got a fair amount of airplay from the brief Coverdale/Page project that was abandoned (at least partly) because of his reunion with Plant. Listen to the album Merge, and you'll hear that Page definitely still had some licks in him in the 1990s.

Led Zeppelin was Page's creation. It was his perfect vehicle for his style of music. He doesn't want to change his style to match Robert's aging voice -- he tried that in Page/Plant, but as that drifted away from acoustic and orchestral to harder Blues-Rock, Plant bailed.

Date: June 4, 2015 21:06

LedZep1
I am sad that I will most likely never get to see LZ live, but at this point not sure I even want to. THey are legendary for their live performances and anything at this point would be a bit of let down.

I didn't see them either unfortunately but saw Page/Plant a couple times when they toured. It was fantastic, Plant still sang like a Rock God, they played tons of Zeppelin music and the drummer Michael Lee (RIP) was every bit as exciting as I imagine Bonzo ever was. I remember just being glued to watching this guy on the drums, he was truly an exciting performer.

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 21:14

5stringTele
The comparison in this thread is between the Stones and Zep, so labeling Page as somebody who is just relying on past hits isn't relevant. The Stones are playing a setlist that is 80-90% pre-1980 (or so). Page just wants the opportunity to do the same.

Page got a fair amount of airplay from the brief Coverdale/Page project that was abandoned (at least partly) because of his reunion with Plant. Listen to the album Merge, and you'll hear that Page definitely still had some licks in him in the 1990s.

Led Zeppelin was Page's creation. It was his perfect vehicle for his style of music. He doesn't want to change his style to match Robert's aging voice -- he tried that in Page/Plant, but as that drifted away from acoustic and orchestral to harder Blues-Rock, Plant bailed.

Its not a bad thing to want to play past hits. I am just saying that is what Page seems to want to do whereas Plant keeps making new albums and trying things to keep himself excited. I can see why both point of views would be enticing.

As far as comparing Stones to Zep, I think Robert Plant had a better voice than Jagger ever did and I think that LZ live, although never having first hand experience, were probably better than the Stones even on an off day. They just had an electricity when those 4 got together and played. Truely lightning in a bottle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 21:15 by LedZep1.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:58

LedZep1
5stringTele

Its not a bad thing to want to play past hits. I am just saying that is what Page seems to want to do whereas Plant keeps making new albums and trying things to keep himself excited. I can see why both point of views would be enticing.

As far as comparing Stones to Zep, I think Robert Plant had a better voice than Jagger ever did and I think that LZ live, although never having first hand experience, were probably better than the Stones even on an off day. They just had an electricity when those 4 got together and played. Truely lightning in a bottle.

I saw them live a few times. The Stones were WAYYYY better live. When I saw Zep at MSG circa 1977 four of their songs clocked in anywhere from 10-20 minutes. Total bore. With Page and that silly wand thing God please make him stop. They were the classical indulgent band. When they were good, they were very very good. But when they were bad...sleep time

Date: June 4, 2015 22:04

^^^^ I suppose once the drugs took hold, then all bets were off for a good show.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:06

Probably true

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:45

I'll give my two cents about Stones vs. Zep:

1) Zeppelin's songs are way too long for me. Waaay too long. My local classic rock station does back-to-back Zep at 8 PM, and it never ends until at least a quarter after. There are some Stones songs I wish were longer, but not 8 minutes on average. yawning smiley
2) Zep's music simply does not move me the same way that the Stones manage. I'm sure that Zep's arrangements are "better" and more complex than those of the Stones, but it doesn't hit me as hard.
3) The lyrics of the Stones are, IMHO, far superior to those of Zeppelin... I don't even know what Robert Plant is singing about sometimes... "Stairway," a song I actually like, is incomprehensible as to the meaning in several spots... whereas the Stones, IMHO, sing more often about actual things and not fantasical places and events.

So basically, I think the Stones are better than Zep for all the above reasons. And I hate Robert Plant's voice.

Total: $0.02

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:37

Plant's voice is still great. He sings differently as well. More grizzled at times and that fits well. He still can hit the high notes. I see him next week in downtown Detroit. Can't wait! His work on Celebration Day show is fantastic. They all sound much better than anyone would have thought. Epic.

Plant just is sick of being chained to Zep. He wants to be his own man. Not compromise. Fair enough, he's earned it and I respect that.

Date: June 5, 2015 02:32

plants newer stuff is still great music

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 5, 2015 03:28

I actually probably love both bands equally. I know that may be a sin as a member here. I'm also a member of the Zep forum. The thing is they're are both so great for different reasons, it's really silly to have to try and pick who is better. Fact is, both are based on whichever mood you're in. I was raised on The Beatles because of my mom, and my dad liked The Who and The Stones, so I got a good introduction to both of them as a kid. So I always had a soft spot for The Who and Stones because of my dad (And sister who was a Stones fan during the early 80s). My brother was heavy into to AC/DC and during the 80s I was into Def Leppard. Noone nor me was into Zeppelin in the family. That's one reason I know my Zep interest is genuine, because I have no previous sentimental connection to them. A buddy gave me a bunch of their cds in 1994 when he got both their box sets, so I said screw it and started playing them, and I then knew what I had been missing. But that phase eventually wore off and then this year, over 20 years later, I started getting into them again. Then that led me to wanting to explore The Stones again and I started to discover all the great stuff I had been missing out on all these years that wasn't from Hot Rocks or Rewind.

So for me it's all good. Both are awesome (Along with The Beatles and The Who) and when I shuffle my Beatles/Who/Stones/Zeppelin playlist, I can't go wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 03:31 by pricepittsburgh.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 5, 2015 13:59

Just saw this on Facebook...could it be true????

[www.tmrzoo.com]

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 5, 2015 14:09

No way.....old article dated April 1 - April Fools

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 48 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home