Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 50 of 53
Re: OT: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 03:47

can we get a decision please? stones or led zeppelin?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2015 05:41

Turner68

I made the decision about 4 or 5 posts ago on behalf of the board. Zeppelin wins it.

Now let's move on to a little bit of Taylor/Wood.

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2015 05:45

Hairball
dcba
pricepittsburgh

The Stones always seemed to naturally flow into their various genres, whereas Zeppelin seemed to make the effort.

The problme for me is LZ's ventures into other genres often sound like a heavy-handed parody : to me the reggae-ish Dy'er Maker always sounded like a bad dull and boring reggae spoof.
Otoh I'd be hard-pressed to say the sublime "Wild Horses" is a parody of the country genre.

But then you have the Stones' reggae spoof/parody Hey Negrita,
or their cheesy cover of Cherry Oh Baby - both bad attempts at reggae imo.

On the other hand you have Zep's 'country-ish' Down By The Seaside - a great tune in all respects.

Hey Negrita - not reggae - how do people keep thinking it is?
Cherrry Oh Baby - obviously reggae - it's a cover of a reggae song.
Send It To Me - as reggae as the Stones would ever get for their own tune and their only tune that resembles reggae of all their officially released songs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2015 06:09

GasLightStreet

Because it pretty much is:

"All of us, independently and together, were into reggae, and it was also a mood of the time. I had this particular lick that I took into the studio and the others said, What are we going to start with? and I said, I've got this song. Charlie [Watts] was sitting behind his kit, so he was already into it and then Keith and Mick both got into the motion of it. That was 'Hey Negrita', which came together very easily. The key to getting a song across in this band is never to try and write all the words. If you've got the rhythm, you're lucky! Let Mick write the words and then you're in with a chance." -Ronnie Wood

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 31, 2015 06:54

Hairball
GasLightStreet

"All of us, independently and together, were into reggae, and it was also a mood of the time. I had this particular lick that I took into the studio and the others said, What are we going to start with? and I said, I've got this song. Charlie [Watts] was sitting behind his kit, so he was already into it and then Keith and Mick both got into the motion of it. That was 'Hey Negrita', which came together very easily. The key to getting a song across in this band is never to try and write all the words. If you've got the rhythm, you're lucky! Let Mick write the words and then you're in with a chance." -Ronnie Wood

I have to agree I wouldn't really consider Hey Negrita reggae music. It is a rather hard song to pin down really but it's closer to funk rock than reggae, imo. True reggae for me has a better defined instrumental back beat and a melodic bass line countering the song, imo. Maybe Ronnies original idea was reggae but once it got put through the Stones machine it became something different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-31 06:55 by Naturalust.

Date: July 31, 2015 07:21

Naturalust
Hairball
GasLightStreet

I have to agree I wouldn't really consider Hey Negrita reggae music. It is a rather hard song to pin down really but it's closer to funk rock than reggae, imo. True reggae for me has a better defined instrumental back beat and a melodic bass line countering the song, imo. Maybe Ronnies original idea was reggae but once it got put through the Stones machine it became something different.

I dunno, I've been listening to, collecting, and studying reggae for decades and the genre itself spans alot of different styles within.
Sounds like reggae to me, but maybe doesn't fit into your simple definition of "true reggae".
But as a compromise between our opinions, the writer of the link below calls it a "funky reggae rocker".

More on the tune:

Hey Negrita

"Reggae was one of Ronnie’s favorite style of choice when he first joined The Stones. Not only was Wood a fan of Reggae but he’s one of the few Rolling Stone members who can claim to have played on stage with Bob Marley, Woodie explained when he said, “I played with Bob Marley at the Oakland Coliseum when I lived in Malibu. One of his guitar players, Al Anderson, had had his guitar stolen so I brought a guitar up to the Coliseum for him, and Al said, “Come and play with us.” After a couple of songs on stage and I got the “You’re all right” look [from Bob Marley] and so I played right through the encore.”

Woodie’s experience with Marley on stage at the Oakland Coliseum inspired Ron’s guitar riff"

Date: July 31, 2015 07:40

Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball
GasLightStreet

I dunno, I've been listening to, collecting, and studying reggae for decades and the genre itself spans alot of different styles within.
Sounds like reggae to me, but maybe doesn't fit into your simple definition of "true reggae".
But as a compromise between our opinions, the writer of the link below calls it a "funky reggae rocker".

More on the tune:

Hey Negrita

"Reggae was one of Ronnie’s favorite style of choice when he first joined The Stones. Not only was Wood a fan of Reggae but he’s one of the few Rolling Stone members who can claim to have played on stage with Bob Marley, Woodie explained when he said, “I played with Bob Marley at the Oakland Coliseum when I lived in Malibu. One of his guitar players, Al Anderson, had had his guitar stolen so I brought a guitar up to the Coliseum for him, and Al said, “Come and play with us.” After a couple of songs on stage and I got the “You’re all right” look [from Bob Marley] and so I played right through the encore.”

Woodie’s experience with Marley on stage at the Oakland Coliseum inspired Ron’s guitar riff"

horrible song in any case.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 31, 2015 13:56

Turner68
Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball
GasLightStreet

More on the tune:

Hey Negrita

horrible song in any case.
It is a great song, dirty funky and funny, can't believe some stones fans don't don't like it, Then again I can't stand Time Waits for no one yet many love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-31 13:57 by Ket.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 31, 2015 14:13

There is no groove to Zeppelin, you cannot dance on it, it doesn't have soul. And the drummer is no Charlie Watts.

So the Rolling Stones win hands down.

Date: July 31, 2015 17:47

matxil
There is no groove to Zeppelin, you cannot dance on it, it doesn't have soul. And the drummer is no Charlie Watts.

If you haven't danced to Stairway to Heaven at a high school dance, you haven't lived.

Date: July 31, 2015 17:51

Hairball
GasLightStreet

OK, so... that does not make Hey Negrita reggae just because they were into reggae. I can certainly hear the influence of reggae in the song but it's not reggae. It's a slow groove tune where as Hot Stuff is a 'fast' groove tune.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 31, 2015 18:10

treaclefingers

If you haven't danced to Stairway to Heaven at a high school dance, you haven't lived.

Let me imagine this... Must look like St. Vitus dance (aka Sydenham's chorea) right?

The horror, the horror... grinning smiley

Date: July 31, 2015 18:31

matxil

lol. Thank God good rock music isn't judged by or created to your dance standards or we wouldn't have an awful lot of it. Plenty of Stones music that you can't dance to and John Bonham was a superb drummer, imo.

Date: July 31, 2015 18:37

Naturalust
matxil

lol. Thank God good rock music isn't judged by or created to your dance standards or we wouldn't have an awful lot of it. Plenty of Stones music that you can't dance to and John Bonham was a superb drummer, imo.

No shit!

Date: August 1, 2015 05:50

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet

OK, so... that does not make Hey Negrita reggae just because they were into reggae. I can certainly hear the influence of reggae in the song but it's not reggae. It's a slow groove tune where as Hot Stuff is a 'fast' groove tune.

17 rock-reggae crossovers
1. Rolling Stones — Hey Negrita (1976)

"Keith Richards found a likeminded reggae fan when Ronnie Wood joined the Stones, and the pair worked on Wood’s Latin-reggae riff with drummer Charlie Watts.
They achieved that rarest of things: a white classic rock band having a credible stab at reggae".

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Excerpt from Steppin' Razor: The Life of Peter Tosh
Steppin' Razor: The Life of Peter Tosh

"From then on, it won't be hard to spot the reggae influence on the Stones' music, whether they're covering Eric Donaldson's 'Cherry Oh Baby',
or writing originals like 'Hey Negrita', which has an obvious reggae feel and came from Ronnie Wood's love of the genre".

_________________________________________________________________________________

15 best reggae songs
#2. Hey Negrita, The Rolling Stones (1976)

"Classic Rolling Stones vocals dominate this hit from the album Black and Blue. The music is heavy with Latin keyboards, reggae riffs,
percussion and funky bass. The reggae influence is unmistakable without losing Stones's perfection."

____________________________________________________________________________________

Top 10 Reggae Rock Songs
#7 - Hey Negrita

"You couldn’t do the Top 10 Reggae Rock Songs without something from the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, perhaps, are the biggest reggae fans in all of rock and roll. Yet, it was then-new guitarist Ronnie Wood who created the riff for ‘Hey Negrita’ (although he would only get an “inspired by” credit on the album sleeve). This jammy ‘Black and Blue’ highlight showed how well the band could play with other genres – from a reggae riff to a funky bassline to Latin keyboards and percussion. And yet, ‘Hey Negrita’ still sounds like the good ol’ grimy Stones".

Date: August 1, 2015 07:02

i could name 50 reggae songs by peter tosh better than anything the stones did

Date: August 1, 2015 07:19

keefriffhard4life

Agreed, and I assume you're just referring to Stones reggae tunes (rather than "anything the Stones did" ).

As I stated earlier in this thread:
"...you have the Stones' reggae spoof/parody Hey Negrita,
or their cheesy cover of Cherry Oh Baby - both bad attempts at reggae imo".

Will be interesting to hear Keith's new cover of the Gregory Isaacs' 'Love Overdue', although I'm not really holding my breath.

Date: August 1, 2015 08:37

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Agreed, and I assume you're just referring to Stones reggae tunes (rather than "anything the Stones did" ).

Will be interesting to hear Keith's new cover of the Gregory Isaacs' 'Love Overdue', although I'm not really holding my breath.

yes I was talking about stones reggae tunes only

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2015 11:17

Turner68

Add a cap to the "s" of Stones and you get the correct spelling :
"Stones or led zeppelin" winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 1, 2015 11:34

<<If you haven't danced to Stairway to Heaven at a high school dance, you haven't lived.>>

But I never went to a high school dance. So it must mean... I haven't lived! That's it! I'm dead,... I'm dancing with mr. d.

Date: August 1, 2015 11:44

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

ok, so anyway, who does reggae better, the stones or led zeppelin?

Date: August 1, 2015 17:45

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet

"Keith Richards found a likeminded reggae fan when Ronnie Wood joined the Stones, and the pair worked on Wood’s Latin-reggae riff with drummer Charlie Watts.
They achieved that rarest of things: a white classic rock band having a credible stab at reggae".

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"From then on, it won't be hard to spot the reggae influence on the Stones' music, whether they're covering Eric Donaldson's 'Cherry Oh Baby',
or writing originals like 'Hey Negrita', which has an obvious reggae feel and came from Ronnie Wood's love of the genre".

_________________________________________________________________________________

15 best reggae songs

"Classic Rolling Stones vocals dominate this hit from the album Black and Blue. The music is heavy with Latin keyboards, reggae riffs,
percussion and funky bass. The reggae influence is unmistakable without losing Stones's perfection."

____________________________________________________________________________________

Top 10 Reggae Rock Songs
#7 - Hey Negrita

"You couldn’t do the Top 10 Reggae Rock Songs without something from the Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, perhaps, are the biggest reggae fans in all of rock and roll. Yet, it was then-new guitarist Ronnie Wood who created the riff for ‘Hey Negrita’ (although he would only get an “inspired by” credit on the album sleeve). This jammy ‘Black and Blue’ highlight showed how well the band could play with other genres – from a reggae riff to a funky bassline to Latin keyboards and percussion. And yet, ‘Hey Negrita’ still sounds like the good ol’ grimy Stones".

And your point made still reveals that Hey Negrita is NOT reggae, as you highlighted, but influenced, like The reggae influence is unmistakable without losing Stones's perfection.. Having a reggae feel is does not make it reggae.

Date: August 1, 2015 17:54

Too Rude is reggae.

Words Of Wonder is reggae.

Send It To Me is... regggae-ish.

Hey Negrita is funk.

Zep's tune is not reggae by any means but, unlike Hey Negrita, oddly it carries the vibe of reggae. It's a joke anyway. As in, it was meant as a joke.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:02

GasLightStreet
Too Rude is reggae.

Words Of Wonder is reggae.

Send It To Me is... regggae-ish.

Hey Negrita is funk.

Zep's tune is not reggae by any means but, unlike Hey Negrita, oddly it carries the vibe of reggae. It's a joke anyway. As in, it was meant as a joke.

A lot of Bob Marley's stuff also has a reggae vibe.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:12

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet

15 best reggae songs

Top 10 Reggae Rock Songs
#7 - Hey Negrita

And your point made still reveals that Hey Negrita is NOT reggae, as you highlighted, but influenced, like The reggae influence is unmistakable without losing Stones's perfection.. Having a reggae feel is does not make it reggae.

Hahaha, well you must not have read these highlights then...

Or this?
"You couldn’t do the Top 10 Reggae Rock Songs without something from the Rolling Stones.

Evidently there are many critics, writers, fans, bloggers, etc. who label this song for what it is - reggae.
And simply put, there's really no denying it is what it is - reggae (albeit weak reggae).

But since you seem to be nearly the only one who doesn't think it's reggae, maybe you can give a little more insight on why you think it's not.
Simply saying "it isn't reggae" or "that doesn't make it reggae" repeatedly doesn't mean it's not reggae, and maybe a few words or citations would be helpful.
What exactly is your definition of reggae? And why would everyone (including critics, writers, fans, etc.) who thinks it is reggae be wrong in thinking so?

On the other hand maybe we should just agree to disagree.
Too much time spent on one of the Stones' weaker songs - I say reggae (bad reggae), and you say no, not reggae at all...period.

Cheers.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:00

Turner68
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

ok, so anyway, who does reggae better, the stones or led zeppelin?

actual reggae artists

Date: August 1, 2015 19:09

Again, as you pointed out again, Hairball, some of those things you quoted did not call it reggae. So I don't know why you keep insisting that I'm the only one that thinks it's not.

Anyway, the genre that reggae is, which comes from mento, is, to my ears, not present in Hey Negrita. Influence? Sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 19:11 by GasLightStreet.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:18

As I also pointed out, several of those things I quoted did call it reggae.
And I didn't insist you were the only one that thinks it's not reggae, I said you "seem to be nearly the only one who doesn't think it's reggae".

But again, we should agree to disagree.
I say reggae, you say not.
No big deal.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:27

Hairball
And I didn't insist you were the only one that thinks it's not reggae, I said you "seem to be nearly the only one who doesn't think it's reggae".

No big deal.

So a couple of quotes say it is reggae, out of a few, and whoever 'nearly everyone' is makes it reggae?

That's a load! Dude - it's NOT reggae. It just isn't. It's funk. If Hey Negrita is reggae than so is Hot Stuff if you want to go by what 'nearly everyone' and a couple of quotes say about Hey Negrita.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:27

Hairball

No big deal.

I would just like to point out that if Hey Negrita is indeed reggae it is fairly unique reggae. winking smiley I'm not sure there are many other reggae songs that sound quite like it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 50 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home