Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 53
Re: OT: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 19, 2015 08:56

stupidguy2
Still can't believe they got a Kennedy Center Honors and the Stones haven't. And probably won't any time soon.
The Stones will always be the eternal misfits and outsiders no matter hoe commercial and rich and corporate they are. And I love that.

I think they'd be the biggest thing ever honoured there.

Tell me I'm wrong, who would be bigger?

Date: March 19, 2015 10:36

Maybe I'm a bit slow here, but what is the "Kennedy Center Honors"? I've never heard of it...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 19, 2015 12:55

DandelionPowderman
Maybe I'm a bit slow here, but what is the "Kennedy Center Honors"? I've never heard of it...

[www.iorr.org]

peace

Date: March 19, 2015 12:58

Thanks, NL.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant stuff
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 19, 2015 16:50

Naturalust
beside the whole Band A vs. Band B thing is a bit adolescent.

peace

Of course it is, (you've got a very firm grasp of the obvious>grinning smiley<) But can you deny it isn't good fodder between blokes over pints?

Date: March 19, 2015 20:00

jazzbass
Naturalust

peace

Of course it is, (you've got a very firm grasp of the obvious>grinning smiley<) But can you deny it isn't good fodder between blokes over pints?

Well, yes I actually can. Possibly after the 15th pint or so I could see the conversation degenerating to this level.....right before the fight in the parking lot. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 19, 2015 23:58

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Still can't believe they got a Kennedy Center Honors and the Stones haven't. And probably won't any time soon.
The Stones will always be the eternal misfits and outsiders no matter hoe commercial and rich and corporate they are. And I love that.

I think they'd be the biggest thing ever honoured there.

Tell me I'm wrong, who would be bigger?

Yes, probably. But I still think the Stones are unlike any other epic artist or band that was so popular and successful.
Their music is kind of hard to really get, if you're not a fan. There are exceptions, but try explaining the greatness of Tumbling Dice to the unitiated: its a mess of sounds and beats. To us, it's a glorious groove, but we're special and get it. They're an aquired taste, the music is too rough, idiosyncratic, and not in a cutesy, indie kind of way. It's too unkempt. I can't explain it, but its easy to turn young kids onto the Beatles or Zeppelin or whoever. The Stones? That's a challenge. And the ones that get it, well....they're special.
It's like we're in on some weird frequency that no one else hears.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-20 00:01 by stupidguy2.

Date: March 20, 2015 02:30

jazzbass
Naturalust

peace

Were that true, wouldn't he already know that then? I mean, that he has a firm grasp of the obvious?

Or maybe that isn't so obvious?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 20, 2015 02:38

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:04 by camper88.

Date: March 20, 2015 07:36

treaclefingers
jazzbass
Naturalust

peace

Were that true, wouldn't he already know that then? I mean, that he has a firm grasp of the obvious?

Very firm grasp. I guess my adolescent tendencies, after a few pints. are more along the lines of Ginger or MaryAnn? Betty or Veronica? As far as Stones vs. Zeppelin, I'll take 'em both although the Stones have been in a bit heavier rotation, especially since I'm embracing the pre-Mick Taylor catalog. Aftermath and Between the Buttons are amazing me at the moment.

peace

Date: March 20, 2015 15:37

Naturalust
treaclefingers
jazzbass
Naturalust

peace

Very firm grasp. I guess my adolescent tendencies, after a few pints. are more along the lines of Ginger or MaryAnn? Betty or Veronica? As far as Stones vs. Zeppelin, I'll take 'em both although the Stones have been in a bit heavier rotation, especially since I'm embracing the pre-Mick Taylor catalog. Aftermath and Between the Buttons are amazing me at the moment.

peace

I can do these sober!

Date: March 20, 2015 21:48

camper88
stupidguy2

Sir Michael Philip "Respectable" Jagger, Knight of the Realm loves that, too.

This has to be satire, no?

Mick is Mick, but the music is what it is: raucous, messy and, to many, inpenetrable. In that sense, the Stones, as I said, for all their wealth and corporate-selling-out-ten-times-over are always going to be more than most mainstream music ears can handle.
The Beatles are the Beatles, and Zeppelin, even with their lyrical imagery of hobbits and mysticism or whatever...can still be pretty with pretty acoustin guitars, they can rock in a manly way, Plant's newfound pop/mainstreem success...all these things make them more accessible.
It's easier to get those bands.
Again, have you ever tried to explain why Tumbling Dice is a masterpiece to a non-Stones fan?
Impossible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-20 21:55 by stupidguy2.

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:17

stones,ccr,original skynyrd lineup,zeppelin

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:51

Again, have you ever tried to explain why Tumbling Dice is a masterpiece to a non-Stones fan?
Impossible.
Very astute it is a masterpiece. How a vocal so deep in the mix can be one of the greatest vocals of all time is mind blowing. Breaking all the rules, The RS...

Date: March 21, 2015 06:23

DoomandGloom
Impossible.
Very astute it is a masterpiece. How a vocal so deep in the mix can be one of the greatest vocals of all time is mind blowing. Breaking all the rules, The RS...

Exactly. I remember being in the car with a musician friend of mine, who was not a Stones fan. Didn't dislike them, and knew of the hits etc..
But I had always talked about Exile as if it was this sacred text. So im playing it and he's got this look...like flinching. It was noise to him. Just noise.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 21, 2015 09:22

stupidguy2

Impossible.

Forget that, have you ever tried explaining why Kanye West is a genius to a Stones fan? winking smiley

Date: March 21, 2015 09:53

stupidguy2
camper88
stupidguy2

Mick is Mick, but the music is what it is: raucous, messy and, to many, inpenetrable. In that sense, the Stones, as I said, for all their wealth and corporate-selling-out-ten-times-over are always going to be more than most mainstream music ears can handle.
The Beatles are the Beatles, and Zeppelin, even with their lyrical imagery of hobbits and mysticism or whatever...can still be pretty with pretty acoustin guitars, they can rock in a manly way, Plant's newfound pop/mainstreem success...all these things make them more accessible.
Impossible.

Hate to break it to ya but the Stones are about as mainstream as it gets these days. Sometime around 1989 they slipped into that river and have been paddling it ever since. Everybody loves the Stones at some level.

Just look at the "Who is wearing Stones Gear" thread and you'll see it's pretty much everyone. Trying to find a non-Stones fan to explain Tumbling Dice would be harder than actually explaining it.

Led Zeppelin seems a much stranger pick for Kennedy Center Honors than the Stones, imo. It would be easy to imagine that crowd rocking to the Stones warhorses, similar crowd at Stones shows these days, but seeing the First Lady and President moving to Whole Lotta Love really threw me for a loop.

peace

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 21, 2015 17:41

There is the aspect that 'classic rock' stations have Zep blocks and Zep hours and Zep days and call themselves the official Zep station for (enter area here) while the Stones... you'll hear JJF, maybe Tumbling Dice, goddamned Ruby Tuesday and of course, SFTD.

Zep? Loads of songs.

Posted by: Caliblues ()
Date: March 21, 2015 22:59

Very different yet same influences. The Rolling Stones are my favorite band ever and still exist. I think Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever, but thanks to Robert no longer exist.

Date: March 21, 2015 23:18

Naturalust
stupidguy2
camper88
stupidguy2

Impossible.

Hate to break it to ya but the Stones are about as mainstream as it gets these days. Sometime around 1989 they slipped into that river and have been paddling it ever since. Everybody loves the Stones at some level.

Just look at the "Who is wearing Stones Gear" thread and you'll see it's pretty much everyone. Trying to find a non-Stones fan to explain Tumbling Dice would be harder than actually explaining it.

Led Zeppelin seems a much stranger pick for Kennedy Center Honors than the Stones, imo. It would be easy to imagine that crowd rocking to the Stones warhorses, similar crowd at Stones shows these days, but seeing the First Lady and President moving to Whole Lotta Love really threw me for a loop.

peace

While I appreciate SG2's take, I'm also not in agreement. LZ ahead of the Stones...not only that, the Who if memory serves, that just seems a bit odd.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 21, 2015 23:24

Caliblues
I think Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever, but thanks to Robert no longer exist.

I think you'll find the culprit is John Bonham.

Date: March 22, 2015 00:32

Naturalust
stupidguy2
camper88
stupidguy2

Impossible.

peace
The Stones have always been mainstream, shameless, in fact, in striving for commercial success and popularity. I'm not arguing they should be a Kennedy Center Honor recipient. I like the dichotomy: they personify rock and roll selling out, corporate partnerships, big concert tours, etc.. And Jagger is the biggest schmooze-king there is. But at the essence of the music is an imperfect, asymmetrical and raucous soulfulness that is less conventional than Zeppelin or the Who. Keith's guitar style, Jagger's singing style... It's the antithesis of conventional.
Like GasLight said, you won't hear Stones blocks on the rock radio stations like you do Zep. Here in Houston, we get a Zeppelin block at 9pm every night.
Sure, a lot of people know Start Me Up, Honky Tonk Women and the list goes on..
But they're almost like a novelty in some ways. I didn't know one Stones fan in high school, but the Zep, Who, ACDC shirts were everywhere.
The Stones are something different no matter how 'mainstream' they are are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-22 00:38 by stupidguy2.

Date: March 22, 2015 00:34

Aquamarine
stupidguy2

Impossible.

Forget that, have you ever tried explaining why Kanye West is a genius to a Stones fan? winking smiley

Yeah that too..

Date: March 22, 2015 00:50

stupidguy2
I didn't know one Stones fan in high school

Dude, you were obviously hanging with the wrong crowd. Us Stones fan were in the parking lot getting Stoned. smoking smiley

peace

Date: March 22, 2015 01:29

Naturalust
stupidguy2

Dude, you were obviously hanging with the wrong crowd. Us Stones fan were in the parking lot getting Stoned. smoking smiley

peace

I have to admit I was the only stones fan in high school. AC/DC, Zep and funnily enough, the Scorpions were big in my high school.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 22, 2015 05:38

I definitely think the Stones have more of an urban following than Zeppelin. Zeppelin had a way of transcending the redneck crowd like Skynyrd does. Go into a hard core biker bar some time. You'll hear bands like Molly Hatchet, ZZ Top and Led Zeppelin and nary a Stones tune. Probably had something to do with what they might perceive as Jagger's "gayness".

Date: March 22, 2015 06:00

treaclefingers
Naturalust
stupidguy2

peace

I have to admit I was the only stones fan in high school. AC/DC, Zep and funnily enough, the Scorpions were big in my high school.

1981-84..that's about right. And as jazzbass said, it may have had something to do with Jagger's persona - I remember cousins watching the Emotional Rescue video and laughing, using a certain homophobic derogatory term. I don't know how you old you are Naturalist, but in the early 80s, it wasn't popular being a Stones fan in suburban American.

Date: March 22, 2015 08:45

stupidguy2
treaclefingers
Naturalust
stupidguy2

peace

1981-84..that's about right. And as jazzbass said, it may have had something to do with Jagger's persona - I remember cousins watching the Emotional Rescue video and laughing, using a certain homophobic derogatory term. I don't know how you old you are Naturalist, but in the early 80s, it wasn't popular being a Stones fan in suburban American.

were your cousins smoking fags while they were watching the video? that might have had something to do with it!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 22, 2015 17:49

It's apples and oranges, but of course the Stones are ultimately the more important group ... if nothing else, in terms of their impact on the cultural and musical landscape.

But listening to the BBC Sessions this morning, I am blown away by the mighty Zep.

Drew

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: March 22, 2015 18:13

Jagger's "gayness"? Right because NOTHING screams masculinity like that lumberjack Robert plant.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home