Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2015 16:23

The old joke is true... geezer gives up smoking weed, hears the Grateful Dead and says "What is that horrible music?"

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 13, 2015 17:16

BluzDude
US Festival, CA 1982

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 13, 2015 17:43

2000 LYFH
BluzDude
US Festival, CA 1982

the Police headlined on Friday night, (we arrived at the beginning of the Talking Heads set. Saturday was such a killer lineup, almost forgot about how dehydrated I was. Tom Petty, Pat Benatar, the Cars, the Kinks, Eddy Money just to name a few, Sunday Fleetwood Mac headlined, day started with the Dead and included Jackson Browne and Jimmy Buffett. Slept in my Ford Fairmont station wagon.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 13, 2015 20:46

BluzDude
MILKYWAY
Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks and even Guns n' Roses are the band names that are always being thrown out when the topic of Greatest Live Rock & Roll Band is discussed. And yet the best band to ever hit a stage is always overlooked:

Ladies & gentlemen, the Grateful Dead.

If you want to talk about the greatest live rock & roll band, this is it. Or, rather, was it. End of discussion.

The only band I ever walked out on because they were such a bore....greatest should be replaced with the most boring....

To each one's own. Some people like the Grateful Dead, while others prefer to clap their hands & sing along with Raffi.

It's all good.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 13, 2015 23:11

MILKYWAY
BluzDude
MILKYWAY
Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks and even Guns n' Roses are the band names that are always being thrown out when the topic of Greatest Live Rock & Roll Band is discussed. And yet the best band to ever hit a stage is always overlooked:

If you want to talk about the greatest live rock & roll band, this is it. Or, rather, was it. End of discussion.

The only band I ever walked out on because they were such a bore....greatest should be replaced with the most boring....

To each one's own. Some people like the Grateful Dead, while others prefer to clap their hands & sing along with Raffi.

It's all good.

You are exactly right about that, personal taste is just that.

there is enough music around for everyone to enjoy.....oh wait a minute, there use to be, but I don't know about now-a-days.....

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 13, 2015 23:33

one of their best song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 13, 2015 23:37

pepganzo
one of their best song.

Truly a great tune, written by Jones/Page. I wonder who actually wrote the lyrics? peace

Date: February 13, 2015 23:45

MILKYWAY

Could not agree more! You know it, I know it and I think most know it!smoking smiley

Date: February 13, 2015 23:48

Naturalust
pepganzo
one of their best song.

Truly a great tune, written by Jones/Page. I wonder who actually wrote the lyrics? peace

Maybe Plant but he hasn't got any credit from this first lp.
(only something for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - Anne Bredon, Traditional arr., Jimmy Page, Robert Plant)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-13 23:59 by pepganzo.

Date: February 14, 2015 00:24

pepganzo
Naturalust
pepganzo
one of their best song.

(only something for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - Anne Bredon, Traditional arr., Jimmy Page, Robert Plant)

Can't imagine him writing lyrics and not getting any credit. This deserves some more research. peace

Date: February 14, 2015 00:32

Naturalust
pepganzo
Naturalust
pepganzo
one of their best song.

Can't imagine him writing lyrics and not getting any credit. This deserves some more research. peace
Infact...

Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones wrote this song, which is about an unfaithful girl who will pay the price for her deceitful ways. The lyrics reflect Jimmy Page's views on women at the time. He thought they were deceitful and inferior to men, similar to Aleister Crowley, who Page idolized. (thanks, Adrian - Gettysburg, PA)
from [www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 14, 2015 01:32

News from Jimmy Page : [www.jimmypage.com]

Music clips : [soundcloud.com]

Sound Tracks will be released on Friday, March 06 2015.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 14, 2015 03:18

BluzDude
You are exactly right about that, personal taste is just that.

there is enough music around for everyone to enjoy.....oh wait a minute, there use to be, but I don't know about now-a-days.....

Ah, another area where we are in agreement.

Date: February 14, 2015 05:19

Naturalust
pepganzo
Naturalust
pepganzo
one of their best song.

He did not receive any credit on the first album since he was still under contract with CBS!

Date: February 14, 2015 05:48

2000 LYFH
Naturalust
pepganzo
Naturalust
pepganzo
one of their best song.

He did not receive any credit on the first album since he was still under contract with CBS!

Thanks 2000LYF. I suspected there was an underlying reason. peace

Date: February 14, 2015 17:12

Not sure if this has been posted but here is a (long) Jimmy Page interview with Guitar World: [www.iem.ac.ru]

Date: February 14, 2015 22:58

Good interview, thanks again! I was a bit shocked at how brutal he was on Glyn Johns. peace

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 15, 2015 01:00

Re: KASHMIR: The perfect Led Zeppelin Song?

---------------------

No, I'd say not, that is basically my favorite LZ song but even at that, it seems to be a bit of an anomaly in the LZ catalog.

My personal picks would be something like Whole Lotta Love or Black Dog.

Date: February 15, 2015 01:45

I think Black Dog or The Ocean is one of those songs like Rocks Off or Gimme Shelter for the Stones - the perfect Zep song. Definitive. Career transcending.

Date: February 15, 2015 02:34

So many but Since I've Been Loving You or When the Levee Breaks are both right up there...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 15, 2015 02:37

the best Led Zep song...EVER!!!

Date: February 15, 2015 14:20

Led Zeppelin two is their best work. Stop.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 15, 2015 15:50

pepganzo

It's full of plagiarism and electric blues licks that were already played by others in the early 60's so I must say "no".

I like "Presence" more. No more plagiarism or blues clichés on this one! And the whole album was made under tremendous pressure so Page didn't have the time to think himself as the Stanley Kubrick of rock'n roll! smoking smiley
He had to play with his guts and that's how he (and most everyone) gets his best results.

LZ II was released on Oct. 69 and Black Sabbath's first lp on Feb. 70.
Just 4 months but it's a whole world that separates these two. BS I was truly deeply revolutionary while LZ II was a (well-played) regurgitation of Willie Dixon, Otis Rush and Buddy Guy's music.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-15 16:01 by dcba.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 15, 2015 16:11

Pure madness dcba...
There are blues cliches on each Zep outing. Presence contains Nobody's Fault for instance.

To listen to the production and unique writing of What Is And What Should Never Be or Ramble On and pass it off as 'been done' is simply inaccurate. The Heartbreaker riff and track composition alone is better than the entire Presence album.

I think both LPs have their place but between the two...gotta go with LZ2 for revolutionary genius

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 15, 2015 17:22

Naturalust
Good interview, thanks again! I was a bit shocked at how brutal he was on Glyn Johns. peace

Later, when we recorded "You Shook Me", I told the engineer, Glyn Johns,
that I wanted to use backwards echo on the end. He said, "Jimmy, it can't
be done". I said "Yes, it can. I've already done it." Then he began
arguing, so I said, "Look, Im the producer. Im going to tell you what to
do, and just do it." So he grudgingly did everything I told him to, and
when we were finished he started refusing to push the fader up so I could
hear the result. Finally, I had to scream, "Push the bloody fader up!"
And low and behold, the effect worked perfectly. When Glyn heard the
result, he looked bloody ill! He just couldn't accept that someone knew
something that he didn't know -- especially a musician! The pompous git!

The funny thing is, Glyn did the next Stones album and what was on it?
Backwards echo! And I'm sure he took full credit for the effect.

Any idea which stones song has reverse echo?

C

Date: February 15, 2015 17:55

dcba
pepganzo

It's full of plagiarism and electric blues licks that were already played by others in the early 60's so I must say "no".

I like "Presence" more. No more plagiarism or blues clichés on this one! And the whole album was made under tremendous pressure so Page didn't have the time to think himself as the Stanley Kubrick of rock'n roll! smoking smiley
He had to play with his guts and that's how he (and most everyone) gets his best results.

LZ II was released on Oct. 69 and Black Sabbath's first lp on Feb. 70.
Just 4 months but it's a whole world that separates these two. BS I was truly deeply revolutionary while LZ II was a (well-played) regurgitation of Willie Dixon, Otis Rush and Buddy Guy's music.

LZ 2 is still an awesome album. Killer album.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 15, 2015 18:17

Their first five albums are flawless and amazing. Physical graffiti is good as well, but there's just too much on there, and would have been better as a single album.

I just don't get why people who aren't much into Zeppelin or think of them as overrated nonetheless rave about how great Presence is. Presence has no stand-out tracks and no memorable or catchy melodies in the musicianship. To me, that album is as flat as a day-old soda. An inappropriately named album, Presence has no presence.

Date: February 15, 2015 19:06

liddas
Naturalust

C

Since that LZ record was finished in October 1968 and the Stones started recording Let It Bleed in November with Glyn Johns as engineer and Jimmy Miller producing, it must be that record he's referring to.

I'm guessing Gimme Shelter or possibly the slide on You Got The Silver but it's certainly not as obvious as on You Shook Me, could just be Jimmy's paranoia, ego or storytelling. smoking smiley peace

Date: February 15, 2015 19:12

stonehearted
Their first five albums are flawless and amazing. Physical graffiti is good as well, but there's just too much on there, and would have been better as a single album.

I just don't get why people who aren't much into Zeppelin or think of them as overrated nonetheless rave about how great Presence is. Presence has no stand-out tracks and no memorable or catchy melodies in the musicianship. To me, that album is as flat as a day-old soda. An inappropriately named album, Presence has no presence.

Agree of the 1st five but also always loved Presence, check this out:

Date: February 15, 2015 19:43

Naturalust
liddas
Naturalust

C

Since that LZ record was finished in October 1968 and the Stones started recording Let It Bleed in November with Glyn Johns as engineer and Jimmy Miller producing, it must be that record he's referring to.

I'm guessing Gimme Shelter or possibly the slide on You Got The Silver but it's certainly not as obvious as on You Shook Me, could just be Jimmy's paranoia, ego or storytelling. smoking smiley peace

That's it - You Got The Silver.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home