Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 53
Re: LED ZEPPELIN REISSUES
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2015 04:35

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
I like them. The remastering may not sound different than the 1994 reissues but it seems the sequencing has been edited better ie track 3 doesn't end in the beginning of track 4...

Page didn't ruin the remastering by brickwalling them.

As for the bonus discs I think they're great. Different mixes, working mixes... what's not to like?

None of the new albums included any new gorilla artwork.

They recycled the super heated hydrogen from the original albums...what more can you ask for...

Plus that rotten kid on Houses Of The Holy got an ass implant to make things look right...

Yeeesh...

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:37

The packaging is the best of everything.

And I'm never gonna hold it against Zeppelin if these suck. Their legacy is secure. They don't really even need to add bonus tracks and these would be great. With everyone like the Beatles and Pink Floyd doing these (what appear to be) final grand remasters and repackagings, I have no problem with Zeppelin joining the mix. Its more that Page from the start set the bar high, and he hasn't delivered. Its just the bottom line. The live disc on the first album is fine, and even thats not incredible. Its at least something though. The others leave a lot to be desired. Hell, these two newest ones didn't have a single unheard track between them!

If they don't live up to expectations, thats only Page's fault. They're still great to have redone, and like I said, the original music speaks for itself anyway. Regardless of how good they come out, its been fun every few months going back to a Zeppelin album I haven't heard in years. And to me, their only stinker is Presence (and Coda if you count that as an album). So its always nice when a reissue series comes with a near perfect discography.

I do hope for more in the future, because we know there is so much more in the vaults and if Page is going to milk this cow again, you might as well go for the utters. Give full Earls Court, give something from 1971 or something. I give them a pass so far because we have How The West Was Won (72) and Song Remains The Same (73), and now the 69 concert. The later years will be the real kicker, and thats actually just 76 for the most part.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:47

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
I like them. The remastering may not sound different than the 1994 reissues but it seems the sequencing has been edited better ie track 3 doesn't end in the beginning of track 4...

As for the bonus discs I think they're great. Different mixes, working mixes... what's not to like?

They need to release at least 18 more hits comps to have the status to release one with some kind of simian on the cover...

Date: January 6, 2015 05:50

CODA is awesome!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 6, 2015 05:51

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

They need to release at least 18 more hits comps to have the status to release one with some kind of simian on the cover...

Yeah, and that's just unachievable. The true measure of an artist is to have more greatest hits compilations than albums.

Date: January 6, 2015 06:42

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Yeah, and that's just unachievable. The true measure of an artist is to have more greatest hits compilations than albums.

Well, look, the Stones released their FORTIETH hits comp with the obviously titled FORTY LICKS, and then, what, they didn't know how to spell FIFTY LICKS (even though Keith did, on his shoes) for their FIFTIETH hits comp so they just made some silly sound and spelled it out.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 6, 2015 06:44

I will say the super deluxe boxes are stunning. But the CDs do seem to be too loud and distorted. While the albums sound fantastic!

Date: January 6, 2015 06:49

You must have something wrong because the remastering for the little one sided record is not brickwalled.

Date: January 6, 2015 06:53

I think the CDs, especially parts of II sound distorted. While the albums sound fantastic. I have played the albums from all the released deluxe boxes and they all sound amazing. Far better than the CDs.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 6, 2015 07:32

whitem8
I think the CDs, especially parts of II sound distorted. While the albums sound fantastic. I have played the albums from all the released deluxe boxes and they all sound amazing. Far better than the CDs.

Are you talking about digital distortion? That would be pretty strange and almost unheard of for a CD release. I'm guessing you mean the analog re-mastered sound was somehow distorted before it was digitized and your not hearing the clicks and pops associated with digital distortion. thanks

peace

Date: January 6, 2015 18:58

When I compare the current CD remaster to the CDs from the Japanese replica box set from a few years back I can hear some distortion from the recent ones, especially on What is and What Should Never Be during the ending guitar stereo attack. Yet it is not on the other disc from several years ago. And not on the album from the same box set.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 6, 2015 19:03

Fantastic! 38 pages of discussin' Led Zeppelin stuff! I have to admit that I got Zeppelins 2 first albums and haven't listen to them since Let it bleed hit the market late 1969....tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: January 6, 2015 22:43

I haven't heard any distortion on the CDs I have. They all sound fantastic.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: January 7, 2015 01:52

They are OK, I got them off a torrent site...they don't have any outtakes because they used them all on Physical Graffiti and Coda. Do yourselves a favor and look up Godfathers 18CD set, Studio Magik...it has far better alternate takes and rehearsals than the deluxe sets.

OT: Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti reissue - extra tracks announced
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 8, 2015 11:50

Very disappointing if you ask me. There could have been so much more. The whole reissue series so far has been disappointing. They could have included 5.1 mixes, rare video footage - and yes, there is still plenty around that has not been officially released.

There could have been the rock'n'roll set recorded at headley Grange in 74 which included It'll Be Me and Jailhouse Rock. We could have had Swan Song which became Midnight Moonlight on The Firm's debut album. The different version of Ten Years Gone - lots of demos and radical different versions that fans will probably know from bootlegs that have been circulating for many years.

It comes out at the end of February.

Led Zeppelin, ‘Physical Graffiti’ Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks:
‘Brandy & Coke (Trampled Under Foot – Initial Rough Mix)’
‘Sick Again (Early Version)’
‘In My Time of Dying (Initial Rough Mix)’
‘Houses of the Holy (Rough Mix With Overdubs)’
‘Everybody Makes It Through (In the Light Early Version/In Transit)’
‘Boogie With Stu (Sunset Sound Mix)’
‘Driving Through Kashmir (Kashmir Rough Orchestra Mix)’

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-08 11:55 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti extra tracks announced
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 8, 2015 11:56

I don't know much about what's in Led Zep's vaults, but I agree, these extra "rough mix" tracks are disappointing. On the other hand, I think it's better to make separate releases, such as Bob Dylan's bootleg series, and Led Zep's great "DVD" video, and not re-release the same ol' studio albums with a few bonus tracks. (Yeah, I'm talking to you, Mick Jagger...)

I hate to say it, but maybe we have to out-live Jagger and Page and hope for some record company geeks to make some serious research. Either way, I'm very happy that the Stones are releasing bonus tracks and stuff instead of nothing at all.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti reissue - extra tracks announced
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 8, 2015 12:07

I guess Bob Dylan and to a slightly lesser extent The Beatles have shown all other 60s legends the way when it comes to opening the vaults. But the Stones have taken the right steps in the last few years and let's see what we get with the Sticky Fingers deluxe set this year.

There is so much in the can with the Stones - so many possibilities, both with film and sound archives. I'm not sure what the problem is in releasing it or even if they're that bothered.

Date: January 8, 2015 17:53

I think Page's decision to release working mixes was a good idea. I enjoy hearing how things evolved especially with that quality of audio, not some sratchy hissy awful bootleg. Of course I'd love to hear unreleased songs but from what I know there are very very few left, which Page hinted at coming out in the end, which will probably be the second disc for CODA. At least that's how it's left open to be interpreted.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti reissue - extra tracks announced
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 8, 2015 18:58

Silver Dagger
Very disappointing if you ask me. There could have been so much more. The whole reissue series so far has been disappointing. They could have included 5.1 mixes, rare video footage - and yes, there is still plenty around that has not been officially released.

There could have been the rock'n'roll set recorded at headley Grange in 74 which included It'll Be Me and Jailhouse Rock. We could have had Swan Song which became Midnight Moonlight on The Firm's debut album. The different version of Ten Years Gone - lots of demos and radical different versions that fans will probably know from bootlegs that have been circulating for many years.

It comes out at the end of February.

Led Zeppelin, ‘Physical Graffiti’ Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks:
‘Brandy & Coke (Trampled Under Foot – Initial Rough Mix)’
‘Sick Again (Early Version)’
‘In My Time of Dying (Initial Rough Mix)’
‘Houses of the Holy (Rough Mix With Overdubs)’
‘Everybody Makes It Through (In the Light Early Version/In Transit)’
‘Boogie With Stu (Sunset Sound Mix)’
‘Driving Through Kashmir (Kashmir Rough Orchestra Mix)’

After being slightly disappointed with the first 4 re-releases' bonus tracks, I was really hoping that Physical Graffiti would provide something more spectacular.
After seeing the bonus tracks listed above, I am slightly disappointed again... confused smiley

With that said, I have slightly enjoyed these bonus track releases, but they have definitely not met the expectations that they could have (or should have) been.

Date: January 8, 2015 21:20

Like the Stones, Zep has so many fanatical followers that I've no doubt this will be another best seller. Lots of folks want everything they have ever released and considering they are not likely to ever make any new music, they will take whatever Page decides to give.

I love Zeppelin but am less than impressed with all the re-issues. Like others here I think it is past time Page put Zeppelin down for a while and started making some new music while he still can. He can't be too happy creatively by spending all his time re-hashing 40 year old music. Sadly financial considerations seem to be driving Mr. Page these days and that can't be good for his creative soul.

peace

Date: January 8, 2015 22:17

Naturalust
Like the Stones, Zep has so many fanatical followers that I've no doubt this will be another best seller. Lots of folks want everything they have ever released and considering they are not likely to ever make any new music, they will take whatever Page decides to give.

I love Zeppelin but am less than impressed with all the re-issues. Like others here I think it is past time Page put Zeppelin down for a while and started making some new music while he still can. He can't be too happy creatively by spending all his time re-hashing 40 year old music. Sadly financial considerations seem to be driving Mr. Page these days and that can't be good for his creative soul.

peace

I don't know for a fact but I'm going to guess that Zep's reissues have sold better than the last round of Stones reissues, EXILE and SOME GIRLS deluxe included(?).

Regarding Page with his involvement with reissues vs new material - not sure how that matters seeing that his post-Zep work is so small and Zep is so big. Imagine if Jagger had the same enthusiasm for reissuing Stones albums with similar bonus material - some Stones fans would be elated... and the rest still disappointed anyway.

Date: January 8, 2015 22:48

GasLightStreet
Naturalust

peace

I don't know for a fact but I'm going to guess that Zep's reissues have sold better than the last round of Stones reissues, EXILE and SOME GIRLS deluxe included(?).

Regarding Page with his involvement with reissues vs new material - not sure how that matters seeing that his post-Zep work is so small and Zep is so big. Imagine if Jagger had the same enthusiasm for reissuing Stones albums with similar bonus material - some Stones fans would be elated... and the rest still disappointed anyway.

Well I was hoping he could increase the amount of post-Zep music and give us all some more great music. Can't have enough good, original rock and roll music and I'm somewhat disappointed that Page hasn't given us more in the last many years. I think we all had high hopes for him and obviously our own expectations are what create the disappointment.

Thankful the performances are so important to the Stones even if their new musical output has been less than stellar. Re-issues don't compare to new, exciting, never heard before songs, but live performances can still retain the thrill and excitement.

peace

Date: January 9, 2015 04:30

the zeppelin remasters are indeed outselling the stones archive stuff

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 9, 2015 05:38

<<I'm somewhat disappointed that Page hasn't given us more in the last many years>>

I'm sure that Page shares your disappointment, in that he hasn't found as good a songwriter and singer as Robert Plant to give his musical ideas their proper focus and expression.

Date: January 9, 2015 05:51

stonehearted
<<I'm somewhat disappointed that Page hasn't given us more in the last many years>>

I'm sure that Page shares your disappointment, in that he hasn't found as good a songwriter and singer as Robert Plant to give his musical ideas their proper focus and expression.

Hmmm. Not sure about that one. Maybe he's setting his sights too high. Robert Plant was an relatively unknown entity when he joined Zeppelin and I believe there are probably hundreds of singer songwriters out there who could help Jimmy get his wings again. I think he's probably a bit too scared to fail. I mean look at Plant, he has grown, tried new partners and even genres and still forges ahead.

If Page had some new fantastic song material, I would think he would be working as hard as he has with the Zeppelin stuff in order to put it out. I just hope he has a big surprise for all of us before it's too late. I sometimes think the only thing he'd be happy with is more Zeppelin reunion stuff. confused smiley

peace

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 9, 2015 10:02

Naturalust
stonehearted

Hmmm. Not sure about that one. Maybe he's setting his sights too high. Robert Plant was an relatively unknown entity when he joined Zeppelin and I believe there are probably hundreds of singer songwriters out there who could help Jimmy get his wings again. I think he's probably a bit too scared to fail. I mean look at Plant, he has grown, tried new partners and even genres and still forges ahead.

If Page had some new fantastic song material, I would think he would be working as hard as he has with the Zeppelin stuff in order to put it out. I just hope he has a big surprise for all of us before it's too late. I sometimes think the only thing he'd be happy with is more Zeppelin reunion stuff. confused smiley

peace

Yup to all of this. Unfortunately. sad smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: January 9, 2015 14:52

I wish they would put out release quality dvd's of the shows we've had on bootlegs for years...both Earl's Court '75 shows, Seattle '77 and both Knebworth '79 shows!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 9, 2015 15:30

Happy birthday to the man who once told me "sorry, mate. I'm busy." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"- What is it like working with some of the really big names of show business?
- Disappointing."

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 9, 2015 20:04

Page has talked for years about putting out a "Guitar" album, by which I assume he means instrumental.
I always hoped he had it in him to produce something on the lines of Tubular Bells, but using other top flight musicians, also.
Live in hope or die in despair.

Date: January 9, 2015 21:30

Page is not going to do anything. It's all talk.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home