Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 10, 2015 02:17

Happy Birthday Jimmysmileys with beer

...now do something with (the rest of) your life!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 10, 2015 03:54

Cristiano Radtke
Happy birthday to the man who once told me "sorry, mate. I'm busy." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"- What is it like working with some of the really big names of show business?
- Disappointing."

[iFascinating[/i] video. What a wonderful clip. Thank you for posting, Cristiano. I'm slightly confused as to when it dates from, however. He's talking about session-work, whilst still being a member of Neil Christian's group. I didn't think his tenure as his lead-guitarist crossed into his studio-career.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 10, 2015 04:09

Ah, it dates from June 1963

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: January 10, 2015 16:26

He is a true renaissance man; would love to see what he could accomplish with art.
Going by the clip it is easy to see why woman swoon before him; he has a charm and tangible naughtiness.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 18, 2015 16:51

OK, here it is...the one we've been waiting for, Physical Graffiti:

[www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 18, 2015 17:35

SonicDreamer
He is a true renaissance man; would love to see what he could accomplish with art.

I'm not anxious to see it myself.

Visually speaking LZ was an awful band : the phony "white magic" ambiance that pervaded most of the band's output from 70 to 73 is enough for me.

Compare this to the people the Stones worked with suring the same period : Warhol or Robert Frank.
Nuff said...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 19, 2015 00:31

treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Woot woot! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 19, 2015 02:41

Aquamarine
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

A bit of disappointment there's only 7 bonus tracks for an album originally featuring 15 tracks....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 02:42 by kowalski.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 19, 2015 04:34

kowalski
Aquamarine
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

A bit of disappointment there's only 7 bonus tracks for an album originally featuring 15 tracks....

The Stones have been disappointing us for year's...it's time other bands know what it feels like.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 19, 2015 05:14

kowalski
Aquamarine
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Consider how many tracks were recorded for PG and it's a bit shorter of an album. They did what the Stones did - used leftover tracks for future LPs. That they put some rather weak songs on PG is astounding, really, considering how heavy the LP really is.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: January 19, 2015 07:55

This is pretty sweet, pretty sloppy but thats a lot of the appeal of both Page and Woody imo:

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 19, 2015 13:30

dcba
SonicDreamer

I'm not anxious to see it myself.

Visually speaking LZ was an awful band : the phony "white magic" ambiance that pervaded most of the band's output from 70 to 73 is enough for me.

Compare this to the people the Stones worked with suring the same period : Warhol or Robert Frank.
Nuff said...

What are you talking about?! Led Zeppelin live onstage remain ones of the most visceral experiences in rock history and their albums feature some of the most iconic images.

OT: Limited Edition Led Zeppelin book coming this year
Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: February 8, 2015 21:22

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 11, 2015 00:00

GasLightStreet
kowalski
Aquamarine
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Consider how many tracks were recorded for PG and it's a bit shorter of an album. They did what the Stones did - used leftover tracks for future LPs. That they put some rather weak songs on PG is astounding, really, considering how heavy the LP really is.

Weak songs on Physical Graffiti? I'm confused!

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: February 11, 2015 00:32

SonicDreamer
GasLightStreet
kowalski
Aquamarine
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Weak songs on Physical Graffiti? I'm confused!

Cheers,
SonicD

I would not call the "older" tracks weak just because they were leftovers. Only 8 songs on that album were recorded during the PG sessions. Before I knew the stats, I knew which songs they were because of Robert's voice.

Side one
No. Title Date recorded Length
1. "Custard Pie" January–February 1974 4:13
2. "The Rover" May 1972 5:37
3. "In My Time of Dying" (John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Page, and Plant) January–February 1974 11:04
Side two
4. "Houses of the Holy" May 1972 4:02
5. "Trampled Under Foot" (Jones, Page, and Plant) January–February 1974 5:37
6. "Kashmir" (Bonham, Page, and Plant) January–February 1974 8:32
Side three
7. "In the Light" (Jones, Page, and Plant) January–February 1974 8:46
8. "Bron-Yr-Aur" (Page) July 1970 2:06
9. "Down by the Seaside" February 1971 5:13
10. "Ten Years Gone" January–February 1974 6:32
Side four
11. "Night Flight" (Jones, Page, and Plant) December 1970 – January 1971 3:36
12. "The Wanton Song" January–February 1974 4:10
13. "Boogie with Stu" (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant, Ian Stewart) December 1970 – January 1971 3:53
14. "Black Country Woman" May 1972 4:24
15. "Sick Again" January–February 1974 4:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-11 00:36 by BluzDude.

Date: February 11, 2015 21:30

Weak tracks being Bron-Yr-Aur, Boogie With Stu, Black Country Woman. Not that they're awful songs just that I think they clutter the album up a bit.

Date: February 11, 2015 21:43

3 weak tracks out of 15? I'll take that anyday.

Although I respectfully disagree that BWS is weak.
And although BYA by itself isn't much of anything, where it's placed makes it a nice interlude between ITL and DBTS

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 11, 2015 22:23

Pg is good but it is not the exile on main st of lz

Date: February 11, 2015 22:25

Well, yeah. PG is such a heavy album. The 8 1974 songs are, of course, the tracks recorded for the LP.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 12, 2015 01:49

pepganzo
Pg is good but it is not the exile on main st of lz

That's just it, for the short 10 odd years...every LZ album was an exile.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 12, 2015 23:20

Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks and even Guns n' Roses are the band names that are always being thrown out when the topic of Greatest Live Rock & Roll Band is discussed. And yet the best band to ever hit a stage is always overlooked:

Ladies & gentlemen, the Grateful Dead.

If you want to talk about the greatest live rock & roll band, this is it. Or, rather, was it. End of discussion.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 12, 2015 23:25

Gnr were better in studio than live IMO. Same for LZ. I think that the allman bros band and little feat were two of the greatest live bands

Date: February 12, 2015 23:26

MILKYWAY
Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks and even Guns n' Roses are the band names that are always being thrown out when the topic of Greatest Live Rock & Roll Band is discussed. And yet the best band to ever hit a stage is always overlooked:

If you want to talk about the greatest live rock & roll band, this is it. Or, rather, was it. End of discussion.

The only band I ever walked out on because they were such a bore....greatest should be replaced with the most boring....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 12, 2015 23:35

BluzDude
MILKYWAY

The only band I ever walked out on because they were such a bore....greatest should be replaced with the most boring....

BluzDude, what year was this and where?

Date: February 12, 2015 23:37

US Festival, CA 1982

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 12, 2015 23:39

BluzDude
MILKYWAY

You should have stuck around cause the last set was probably pure magic. I've seen only a few shows, never one that was fantastic from beginning to end but moments of delightful stuff at every show. As I've said before, they weren't the best at what they did, they were the only ones who did what they did. peace

Date: February 12, 2015 23:52

The Dead just couldn't keep my attention. I never left the venue because they were the opening act....Breakfast with the Dead....I just went to the back and hung out with others who "didn't get it".

As I have friends who are dead heads, I've been subjegated (yes, I know there is no such word) to hours of videos played on supreme sound system and they just never did anything for me.

Whats even more odd is that for years, I was a jam type guitarist, sort of like Clapton back in the Cream days, where we took 2 minutes songs and spread them out from anywhere between 4 and 40 minutes, so I admire what the Dead did, I just never could get into their musical style.

...as I said, to me they are boring, I never called them crap because I do acknowledge they are great musicians.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 12, 2015 23:52

BluzDude
US Festival, CA 1982

That's a tough show to base your opinions on. By all accounts not a very good Dead performance. Definitely not their full setlist, wasn't this in the morning on the third day in brutal temps?

That being said the early 80's were not the best of times because Garcia was not at his best.

Date: February 12, 2015 23:56

Maindefender
BluzDude
US Festival, CA 1982

That's a tough show to base your opinions on. By all accounts not a very good Dead performance. Definitely not their full setlist, wasn't this in the morning on the third day in brutal temps?

That being said the early 80's were not the best of times because Garcia was not at his best.

I understand (see comments above), and yes, that Saturday (the day before) was absolutely brutal.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 13, 2015 07:32

I was there for the whole weekend too. It seemed odd to see GD first thing in the morning. They ended their set with Satisfaction, by the way. I think that's the only time I heard them play it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-13 07:32 by likecats.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2335
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home