Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dead Flowers - my backyard take on it
Date: May 8, 2012 14:57

Max'sKansasCity
As cool as the i-phone is, there are some features I dont care for.
Please know I am NOT pissing on the camp fire, I am only posting information which anyone using an i-phone should know about. The main thing I dont like about i-phone is the gps record it keeps. Everywhere you go with the i-phone is recorded. Pair this with the fact one can not replace the battery in one's i-phone. One has to send it in to have the battery replaced, and if "they" care to, "they" can download everywhere one has been with ones' i-phone and all of one's personal information. Maybe this does not matter to folks, but at least people should be aware of it.

Another isssue with the GPS coding is.... every picture you take witth your i-phone embed a TON of information on it. That means if you take a pciture with your i-phone, and postg it directly on the web, anyone can take a look at the "exif dat" and know your exact location. Once again... Maybe this does not matter to folks, but at least people should be aware of it.

Here is a video which show you how to simply remove all of this data from your pictures before posting them. Maybe this does not matter to folks, but at least people should be aware of it.

Maybe everyone knows all of this, but if not not I thought my fellow IORRers should be aware of it.... becareful out there, we may want to share picutes with the world, but it does not mean we want the world to have our exact gps loaction.

If I am wrong about any of this.... feel free to correct, it is meant to be helpful advice.

What is this, then?

[www.mytrendyphone.no]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 8, 2012 15:06

Hmmm. I was under the impression you had to send it in... but here is a video on hwo to do it....not quite as easy as removing the exif data.

btw- for fun (and DHS work) anyone can look at any given exif data on any picture on the internet by 1)saving the picture to one's computer 2)right clicking it 3)selecting properties 4)select details.... take a look at a cornucopia of (possible) information.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 15:33 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 8, 2012 15:12

Max'sKansasCity
I dont know... without clicking the link, please tell us.

LOL! A place to order your batteries...

Edit - the link is not working from here, strange...

Date: May 8, 2012 15:15

Thank you DP... I guess one can change the battery... so... I edited and added a video(if one dares to follow that video, I wish you good luck)... My only objective is to offer helpful, topical advice to my fellow IORRers... My only agenda is to maybe help at least one person avoid the noid.

PS
Yikes!!! watching that video... DANG!!!
Why wouldnt they make it easier to replace the battery, wtf?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 15:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 8, 2012 15:50

Nice recording. For those interested in using the i-Phone to record there is also Garageband for i-Phone / i-Pad. You can record up to 8 tracks of audio, there are also software instruments you can use also (inluding bass guitars, keyboards etc). Recording is 24bit if you use the Apogee Jam connector for electric guitar/bass/mic, you also get a cleaner sound as it connects to the dock connector's line-in rather than the headphone socket.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 8, 2012 20:23

DandelionPowderman
Max'sKansasCity
DandelionPowderman
"An error occured" - the video won't play...
I checked it for you DP.... it still plays, might be someting in your system, maybe give it another try.

Nope, still doesn't play, nor on Youtube. However, his other video "Something" plays there. Nice job, NL!

Hi DP, thanks for trying. I'm not sure why it doesn't play for you. Check your email, I sent you an .mp3 of the tune. The only thing you are missing is a bunch of pictures I took of near where I live. Hope you get it ok. Turn it Up!

Max thanks for being so helpful, like I've said before you are one solid dude! As far as the i P h o n e stuff you are concerned about goes, there is an easily accesible switch on the phone called "Location Services" which you can just turn OFF. This prevents all the geo tagging on the photos and other GPS stuff from functioning. I was concerned too until I discovered you can just turn it off. Be well bro! peace
peace

Date: May 8, 2012 20:28

my pleasure NL....

But just for good form, and a good idea, always clear the EXIF data from pictures before broadcasting/posting them to the WWW... it is too easy not to do, takes 5 seconds.... I do that everytime and I only use a regular camera, unregistered... and please let us know how changing that battery goes... sheesh... I have never seen such a clsuterfk of a procedure explianed in a video in all my livelong days.

Keep them videos coming....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 20:40 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 8, 2012 20:39

WeLoveYou
Nice recording. For those interested in using the i-Phone to record there is also Garageband for i-Phone / i-Pad. You can record up to 8 tracks of audio, there are also software instruments you can use also (inluding bass guitars, keyboards etc). Recording is 24bit if you use the Apogee Jam connector for electric guitar/bass/mic, you also get a cleaner sound as it connects to the dock connector's line-in rather than the headphone socket.

Very cool WLY! 8 tracks 24-bit! Whoo Hoo! I don't care much for garage band because I like to play all the instruments and don't need all the stuff they provide for accompaniment , just give me 8 empty tracks, 24 bits and I'm a happy camper!

I am not hip yet to all the after market hardware for getting the most out of the phone but I see there is plenty. I didn't know there was a mic/line in connection on the dock connector but assumed as much with some of the hardware I have seen. Isn't the add'l pin on the headphone connector just another mic/line in? The 24 bit A/D converters are obviously in the add-on hardware, probably expensive too.

Besides the 24 bit converters , I'm not sure why it would be better sound going through the dock port input as opposed to the input built into the mic jack. Unless it was a balanced input (3 pins required) or somehow bypassed a mic preamp that was inline in the headphone jack input. I assume it is the same circuit for input but I may be wrong. I am eating up all such info though and appreciate your thoughts. peace

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 8, 2012 20:41

Quique-stone
"Dead Flowers & Wild Birds" sounds really great! Congrats bro!

Much better title than "Wild Flowers and Dead Birds"!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 8, 2012 20:44

Elmo Lewis
Quique-stone
"Dead Flowers & Wild Birds" sounds really great! Congrats bro!

Much better title than "Wild Flowers and Dead Birds"!

How about "Wild Flowers and Angry birds!" just to be trendy? winking smiley

Date: May 8, 2012 21:14

No Max, the birds are my friends, constantly reminding me of forgotten melodies.lol How 'bout those peppers in that thumbnail for the vid though? That is one nice heap of veggies! peace

Date: May 8, 2012 21:35

Naturalust

lol How 'bout those peppers in that thumbnail for the vid though? That is one nice heap of veggies! peace
That is a good one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 23:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: May 8, 2012 22:19

Greetings from the Bay Area!

This was great - I really enjoyed it.

Are you on the Central Coast or up North?

Date: May 8, 2012 22:22

Hi mccparty, my pleasure to be sure. thx. I am on the coast North of Santa Cruz, bay area to be certain. Yo neighbor, we are listening to the same birds, yep. peace

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 8, 2012 23:14

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
No Max, the birds are my friends, constantly reminding me of forgotten melodies.

Oh come on, Arent we so jaded with birds singing... Birds song was so old back in the 60s, and everytime you hear a bird singing now you can hear where they lifted it from another bird... .. there is no new bird songs, so all bird songs must suck... right? ... no!! wrong!! FKG WRONG!!! I am soooo making fun of that one stupid fkg thread... this one>> [www.iorr.org]

I love the birds.. and they love me too. One of the delights in my life is watching the birds play "splash fight" in bird bath in my back yard. I have kept it rerilled fresh for years and the variety of birds that show up is amazing... feeding and watering them has fill my yard with bird song.... the best music of all... even if it the same song they were singing in 1600 1000 500 and 10 AD

I have captured lots of bird video over the years.. I think the record for bird splash fight is 13 birds at one time.... it has me rolling of the floor laughing. Then one time I looked out and it was a monster sized hawk.... 2 feet tall... amazing. I may have to upload some of that footage to the net.

Naturalust

lol How 'bout those peppers in that thumbnail for the vid though? That is one nice heap of veggies! peace
That is a good one...

Max:
Your "bird fight" story got me laughing and thinking of my Dad... The man is an ultimate tech geek who modified the cycle control of an old clothes washing machine to turn on the garden hose a few minuets of each hour so the birds will always have fresh water to drink/bathe in. He's always got a full house!

Naturalust:
Thanks for the info on the Iphne... I've got a Droid but plan on looking to see what may be available for that platform... To cool.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 8, 2012 23:21

mr_dja
Max:
Your "bird fight" story got me laughing and thinking of my Dad... The man is an ultimate tech geek who modified the cycle control of an old clothes washing machine to turn on the garden hose a few minuets of each hour so the birds will always have fresh water to drink/bathe in. He's always got a full house!
grinning smiley
Cool Mr DJA, I may have to rig something like that up. Sometimes when I neglect to freshen it up, and I swear a couple of little birds will come up to my window and hop around while their friends hop around the edge of the birdbath, reminding me... I know it is my imagination... but it does cause me to go freshen it up, and then shortly afterwrds thay come jumping like kids in..... esp whne it is hot as hell during a KC summer.... it seems like I own the birdy watering hole around.

Watching a birds splash around in a bird bath is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. They really kick it up. I highly reccomend putting one in, if someone lives in the right part of the world.

Date: May 8, 2012 23:59

DandelionPowderman

well try this out, it ain't Dead Flowers but one record away. This is Let Loose, I already posted here a while back but maybe ya need to warm your machine up with this one or somethin'. eye rolling smiley lol

MCats you will probably like this one in any case. Tough to touch these killer Stones tunes without making a complete mess since the originals are so friggin' good. But hey that's the inspiration and even the Stone's walk in the footsteps of giants. oh yeah Turn it up!

Hey mr-dja your Dad is pretty damn cool to do that for the birds! I hope the apple didn't fall too far from the tree... peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-09 01:20 by Naturalust.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 9, 2012 06:54

I like this song slowed down in this way (love the regular way too) as it allows room for the parts to breathe and you can really feel it. I remember some years ago I would sit in my chair with the stereo blasting a slow cover version of this song that I have on a cd somewhere,and I would play along on the harmonica. Especially at the opening of the song. Great feeling and a great tune given to us by the Stones. I'm glad to see so many of us get so much joy out of these great tunes.

Date: May 9, 2012 13:54

hey dude im impressed!thumbs up

Flower Power
PEACE

Date: May 9, 2012 21:07

StonesHippieRecluse

Thanks brother, Had some pretty good influences and a pretty straighforward framework for these ones. Mick Jagger is such a good songwriter, I'd love to see him do a series of solo shows with just his guitar and piano. I think he'd blow everyone away with just how good he is relatively unsupported by the usual suspects.

In fact I think his solo efforts would have done much better stripped down to their basic elements without the cliche' drumming and additional production that obviously went into them. Maybe he needs that additonal support to feel comfortable in front of a crowd? But to see that man truly solo is a dream of mine I hope comes to manifest some day before it is too late. I'd hop on a plane to Timbuktu just to see a single show! peace

Date: May 10, 2012 02:13

I think the record for bird splash fight is 13 birds at one time.... it has me rolling of the floor laughing. Then one time I looked out and it was a monster sized hawk.... 2 feet tall...

Sounds like Alice in Wonderland Max, I'll bet you've got little mushrooms growing in the backyard too? lol peace

Date: May 10, 2012 02:20

Naturalust
StonesHippieRecluse

Thanks brother, Had some pretty good influences and a pretty straighforward framework for these ones. Mick Jagger is such a good songwriter, I'd love to see him do a series of solo shows with just his guitar and piano. I think he'd blow everyone away with just how good he is relatively unsupported by the usual suspects.

In fact I think his solo efforts would have done much better stripped down to their basic elements without the cliche' drumming and additional production that obviously went into them. Maybe he needs that additonal support to feel comfortable in front of a crowd? But to see that man truly solo is a dream of mine I hope comes to manifest some day before it is too late. I'd hop on a plane to Timbuktu just to see a single show! peace

thumbs up
The Wonder from Downunder

Flower Power
PEACE

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 10, 2012 03:00

SwayStones
Yeah,swiss, the landscapes around there are so beautiful .
Each time I watch to all those pics Naturalust sends me ,it brings back peace in my mind .
Not to mention the Montana's ones .Just awesome .

hi Sway...I live down the coast from N-lust in Santa Cruz. The scenery and topography are unimaginably gorgeous. Mighty redwood groves and crashing ocean, just steps from one another. The supermoon here last weekend was beyond belief.

Naturalust - maybe we should have a Bay/Central Coast iorr meet-up. What think?

-swiss

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 10, 2012 11:22

I didn't know you had moved from San Francisco,swiss .

<<Mighty redwood groves and crashing ocean, just steps from one another. <<
Yes, I was surprised when I saw the diversity of he landscapes on the photos Naturalust sent me ..the ocean so close to the forests ...Ha,it makes me want to go back to California now smiling smiley

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: May 10, 2012 11:57

Naturalust
WeLoveYou

Very cool WLY! 8 tracks 24-bit! Whoo Hoo! I don't care much for garage band because I like to play all the instruments and don't need all the stuff they provide for accompaniment , just give me 8 empty tracks, 24 bits and I'm a happy camper!

I am not hip yet to all the after market hardware for getting the most out of the phone but I see there is plenty. I didn't know there was a mic/line in connection on the dock connector but assumed as much with some of the hardware I have seen. Isn't the add'l pin on the headphone connector just another mic/line in? The 24 bit A/D converters are obviously in the add-on hardware, probably expensive too.

Besides the 24 bit converters , I'm not sure why it would be better sound going through the dock port input as opposed to the input built into the mic jack. Unless it was a balanced input (3 pins required) or somehow bypassed a mic preamp that was inline in the headphone jack input. I assume it is the same circuit for input but I may be wrong. I am eating up all such info though and appreciate your thoughts. peace

Hi Naturalust... There are no balanced inputs with the i-phone/i-pad. The headphone connector has four terminals: left channel output, right channel output, earth, and mic in. if you have the correct adaptor you can use this mic input with a mic or a guitar, however when using distorted guitar amp sounds (in various i-phone apps) the guitar sound can be quite noisy. Also you may get cross-talk/feedback because of the close proximity of the headphone outputs to the mic input. With a suitable adaptor (containing a small pre-amp) you can use the dock connector's line in (it's a line in not mic in) and you get a cleaner signal. The third option, which I'm using, and I'm correcting myself here, is to use the Apogee Jam interface (about GBP 70.00), which converts analogue to digital at 24 bit depth, you also get a cleaner signal for recording. It uses the data connections in the dock socket, not the line in terminal as I previously stated. It's currently the only 24 bit interface for the i-phone/i-pad, and can also be connected to a Mac (via usb socket), so quite versatile especially if you don't already own a recording interface. Lastly, the good thing about GarageBand for i-phone/i-pad is that you can transfer recordings to Garageband or Logic Pro on a Mac for proper mixing/mastering, meaning the i-phone app is great for recording ideas which can become proper recordings later on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 11:58 by WeLoveYou.

Date: May 10, 2012 14:16

Naturalust
I think the record for bird splash fight is 13 birds at one time.... it has me rolling of the floor laughing. Then one time I looked out and it was a monster sized hawk.... 2 feet tall...

Sounds like Alice in Wonderland Max, I'll bet you've got little mushrooms growing in the backyard too? lol peace

NL, are you doubting what I see/say? come on man....

Date: May 10, 2012 21:40

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

No Max you misunderstood me. I am a stand for you bro, I just wanted whatever it is I thought you were smokin talkin about 2 feet tall hawks! lol Man that is a great video, really enjoyed it. You have some damn dirty birds in KC huh? Came to the bath a blackbird and left a cardinal!

It is quite unusual to see a hawk bathing...He probably came for dinner and was using the bath trick to lure young blackbirds to the table. I suspect you might have added some spirits to the bath water, that hawk looks a bit drunk after his bath. he haw

Now, tell me what kind of hawk it is and I'll be really impressed. (ps I already know the answer) Take your time. Thanks for that post. I love your birdbath, that ain't no plastic Kmart job, looks more like a Roman bird bath. No wonder you are attracting hawks!

Ok one bird story. I was in one of the pastures at my old ranch bringing feed to the horses and sheep and I heard this insane screeching and crying from the sky. I looked up and there was this cloud of feathers free- falling from the sky. Wow. I kept my eyes on in and it fell from a couple hundred feet to about 30 feet from the ground and then a HUGE Blue heron separated from the feather ball and calmly flew down the valley toward the ocean into the sunset. The other half of the ball hit the ground with a thud, feathers everywhere.

I ran up the hill to see what it was and it was a huge Red Tailed hawk that just had it's ass kicked by this majestic Blue Heron. He was just sitting on the ground looked dazed. I of course left him alone and he healed up and flew later that same day. Amazing.

Did you know hawks breed for life? We have several mating pairs on our ranch now, red shouldered, red tailed, marsh hawks and coopers hawks and this year a pair of golden eagles. They are BIG, wingspan I'd guess at 7 or 8 feet. They are good for the farm, keep the rodent population down. In Alberta there was a report a couple years back of a Golden eagle picking up a bear cub and flying off with it! Seeing these ones I don't doubt it possible. peace

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 10, 2012 21:59

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

well try this out, it ain't Dead Flowers but one record away. This is Let Loose, I already posted here a while back but maybe ya need to warm your machine up with this one or somethin'. eye rolling smiley lol

MCats you will probably like this one in any case. Tough to touch these killer Stones tunes without making a complete mess since the originals are so friggin' good. But hey that's the inspiration and even the Stone's walk in the footsteps of giants. oh yeah Turn it up!

Hey mr-dja your Dad is pretty damn cool to do that for the birds! I hope the apple didn't fall too far from the tree... peace

This is also wonderful NL, really nice feel to it and one of my favourite songs given a respectable work out.

Date: May 10, 2012 22:12

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust

No Max you misunderstood me. I am a stand for you bro, I just wanted whatever it is I thought you were smokin talkin about 2 feet tall hawks! lol Man that is a great video, really enjoyed it. You have some damn dirty birds in KC huh? Came to the bath a blackbird and left a cardinal!

It is quite unusual to see a hawk bathing...He probably came for dinner and was using the bath trick to lure young blackbirds to the table. I suspect you might have added some spirits to the bath water, that hawk looks a bit drunk after his bath. he haw

Now, tell me what kind of hawk it is and I'll be really impressed. (ps I already know the answer) Take your time. Thanks for that post. I love your birdbath, that ain't no plastic Kmart job, looks more like a Roman bird bath. No wonder you are attracting hawks!

Ok one bird story. I was in one of the pastures at my old ranch bringing feed to the horses and sheep and I heard this insane screeching and crying from the sky. I looked up and there was this cloud of feathers free- falling from the sky. Wow. I kept my eyes on in and it fell from a couple hundred feet to about 30 feet from the ground and then a HUGE Blue heron separated from the feather ball and calmly flew down the valley toward the ocean into the sunset. The other half of the ball hit the ground with a thud, feathers everywhere.

I ran up the hill to see what it was and it was a huge Red Tailed hawk that just had it's ass kicked by this majestic Blue Heron. He was just sitting on the ground looked dazed. I of course left him alone and he healed up and flew later that same day. Amazing.

Did you know hawks breed for life? We have several mating pairs on our ranch now, red shouldered, red tailed, marsh hawks and coopers hawks and this year a pair of golden eagles. They are BIG, wingspan I'd guess at 7 or 8 feet. They are good for the farm, keep the rodent population down. In Alberta there was a report a couple years back of a Golden eagle picking up a bear cub and flying off with it! Seeing these ones I don't doubt it possible. peace

I am far from being an ornithologist... I treat all birdies equally... black, blue, red... little... big... BIGGER...MONSTER SIZED...they are all just tweety birds to me... but I think that might be a coopers hawk....

I get wide variety of birds around here.... Cardinals, Blue Jays(mean fkrs) lots of different birds... In the winter I feed them when there is snow pack for longer than a week... and I water them in the heat of the summer.

That hawk showed up last summer when it was very dry for a loooooong month... I am supposing I must had one of the few fresh water holes around... and that big ass bird WAS BIG!!! Trust me man, he looked a hell of a lot bigger in person than on camera... I guarantee would not want him to come flying at me, thats for sure.

Facts be known I was lucky to get the footage... I saw him and was stunned, and I just watched him for a while, like I usually do... I look out there regularly and laugh at the birds.... but then... I thought I should grab the camera... and then he flew shortly after I started rolling... the best shot, which shows how big he really is, was when he landed on the wire and flapped his wings for a second....

There are a lot of hawk around here, we see them sitting on lamp post a lot... sometimes see them swoop down.... and.... well it probably does not work out so well for the mouse. Death from above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 22:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 10, 2012 22:20

Just as a matter of curiosity, in Italy "bird" is synonymous of "penis" (not joking). Is this what you are talking about?

C

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2131
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home