Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Beach Boys at The Beacon Theatre, New York, NY
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:06

Took a quick trip to NY to do a couple "Bucket list" items...one of them included finally seeing a taping of The Late Show w/ David Letterman (also a private tour of the set and a pic of me sitting at Dave's desk!), and seeing a Rolling Stone in a jazz small club (even though it was just for a few minutes!) and also to watch a reunited Beach Boys take the stage at the majestic Beacon Theatre.

They were some pretty special concerts. Brian and Mike are on unbelievably good terms and it's very clear on stage. Mike sent Brian some good vibes and signs of support throughout the night with smiles and thumbs up. So sweet. Here are both set lists and a video of an obscure track that they unveiled just that very night. After intermission, the lights went up to reveal the entire band gathered around Brian at the piano. I mean honestly...could they have done anything else to melt the hearts of all true-blue Beach Boys fans in the audience? Wild.

1st Show - May 9, 2012

Do It Again
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
You're So Good to Me
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
The Little Girl I Once Knew
Why Do Fools Fall in Love?
When I Grow Up
Cotton Fields
Disney Girls
Don't Worry Baby
Little Honda
Be True to Your School
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

California Dreaming
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Forever
Sail On Sailor
Heroes & Villains
In My Room
All This is That
This Whole World
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
God Only Knows
That's Why God Made the Radio
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA

Encore

Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

Some pics I took:

2nd show - May 10, 2012

Do It Again
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
You're So Good to Me
Wendy
Then I Kissed Her
Why Do Fools
When I Grow Up
Cottonfields
Marcella
Be True to Your School
Disney Girls
Don't Worry Baby
Little Honda
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Second Set
Add Some Music
Cali Dreamin
Sloop
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Forever
Sail On Sailor
Heroes and Villains
In My Room
All This Is That
This Whole World
I Wasn't Made for These Times
God Only Knows
That's Why God Made The Radio (dedicated to Pete Fornatle)
Cali Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Encore
Kokomo
Good Vibrations
Fun Fun Fun

My pics:

Add Some Music To Your Day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 04:14 by Justin.

Re: OT: The Beach Boys at The Beacon Theatre, New York, NY
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:26

Justin
That's Why God Made The Radio (dedicated to Pete Fornatale)

He was a hardcore BB fan.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:34

Justin, you're way too young to think about a bucket list!

...anyway, I'm looking forward to their Hollywood Bowl show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:39

Dressed for success!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 12, 2012 04:45

tatters

Dressed for success!

...that looks like my entire wardrobedrinking smiley

Posted by: thePenguin ()
Date: May 12, 2012 05:58

Justin: wonderful post, thank you very much!!! BB are my 2nd favorite band.

Date: May 12, 2012 06:42

My pleasure, thePenguin! I wish I had more video to share but security was ridiculously tight--especially being up front.

Bluzdude...good point! Though it's never too early to get a few off the list!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 12, 2012 08:30

Thank you for your generosity, Justin. I've been wondering how those shows went.
So glad you got to do all these things in NY. And it's never too early for a bucket
list smiling smiley
-swiss

Posted by: TE ()
Date: May 12, 2012 09:26

Thanks Justin!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 09:43

Great pictures, thanks for posting

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 12, 2012 12:08

Hi Justin,

Wow! Great shots and thanks for the review...that must have been an uplifting show, and then some. Just fantastic!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 12, 2012 14:26

Great shots! Thanks for posting!

Ross

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 12, 2012 15:42

Justin

Even with Keith's bad playing - Stones would sound better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 15:43 by mtaylor.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: May 12, 2012 15:45

thanks Justin, the BB look great!

Date: May 12, 2012 20:08

like most of the posters here, i get tired of seeing the stones play warhorses. yet when i go see the Beach Boys, i never get tired of theirs. never, not even one.

starting to think that the BB hits aged better than either the Stones or the Beatles. can't chalk it up to over or under-exposure, either. i play BB tunes around the house as much as the stones, even more now that the tour is on. have some upcoming BB shows next month, can't wait!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 20:12 by thePenguin.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:17

thePenguin
like most of the posters here, i get tired of seeing the stones play warhorses. yet when i go see the Beach Boys, i never get tired of theirs. never, not even one.

starting to think that the BB hits aged better than either the Stones or the Beatles. can't chalk it up to over or under-exposure, either. i play BB tunes around the house as much as the stones, even more now that the tour is on. have some upcoming BB shows next month, can't wait!!!!
Probably because of easy going sing-along songs - surfing usa, wendy - everybody can sing lalalala to the song.....

Date: May 12, 2012 20:19

or maybe it's just because they're better songs. anybody can get drunk at a stones concert and think keith sounds great.

mtaylor
thePenguin

Probably because of easy going sing-along songs - surfing usa, wendy - everybody can sing lalalala to the song.....

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:45

mtaylor
Justin
Even with Keith's bad playing - Stones would sound better

Irrelevant, but thanks for chiming in!

Anhyow...thank you Justin for the great photos. Looking forward to seeing them at the Bowl next month.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 12, 2012 22:06

Thanks so much for the post, the setlists, and the wonderful photos. I had the pleasure of seeing them last summer but without Brian and Al. They were still very good, and my wife and I and our daughters and their husbands all had a great time. I must have played their music in our home for many years, as my daughters told me how surprised they were to find that they knew all the songs! They will be in Seattle again this summer but I will not be able to attend due to a prior engagement. Thanks again.

Date: May 13, 2012 04:20

Thank you all for the kind words and I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos. It's one of my favorite hobbies to do and I hope I'll be able to do this for the Stones soon!

mtaylor
thePenguin

mtaylor, instead of trying to state fact..the only thing you're accomplishing is revealing your limited knowledge on the Beach Boys music. Both bands have their strenghts and you'd be a fool to replace one with the other. The Beach Boys can't do "Midnight Rambler" and The Rolling Stones can't even touch "Heroes and Villians"...seems fair to me.

ThePenguin, I hearya on the warhorses. I think one of the main reasons it works so well with the BB is because in their shows they don't inflate the warhorses to be these 7 minute epic versions that take up a huge percentage of the second half of the set. The BB play "Surfin' USA" and bam...it's over in like two and a half minutes. It's quick, it's concise and a full B12 adrenaline shot...not this long, over the top "Encore" version the Stones like to do on recent tours. There's also a different emotion involved in these songs compared to a "JJF" or a "Satisfaction." I assume this has a lot to do with how they're being performed by the band and the reaction it gets from audiences.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home