Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Dead Flowers - my backyard take on it
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:06

Well I love this tune and recorded it in the backyard using the i P h o n e.

Dedicated to Swaystones and swiss. You ladies make it worth hanging out on this board!

Birds courtesy the backyard.

It is loose and kind of a mess in the tradition of and tribute to the Stones country songs. Just about falls over itself plenty but gets to the goal line eventually. I recorded it using an i P h o n e App called 4Track. No effects, no EQ , just a simple rcording of this tune. The photos are just a few from the area I live in California.

Don't be too rough on me guys, like I said it's for Sway and swiss! Oh yeah...TURN IT UP! peace

Re: Dead Flowers - my backyard take on it
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2012 19:17

Nice job, thanks for sharing, you are one of the few who do that. When you get a chance would you tell us more about the app.... how it works... how many seperate takes did it take before you were happy..... did you record 4 seperate tracks? Do/can you listen to an earlier track as you record the next? through a head phone.... do/did you use the onboard mic on the i phone?? How many songs have you recorded on it? Thanks NL

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 19:23 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 7, 2012 19:42

Thanks Max. You are solid man! I love the technology too so per your request I'll talk about it.

The recording is just with the phone sitting on a table in the yard. Built in mic , yep. It's 3 tracks, recorded in quick succession , no overdubs, just first takes and hope for the best. (the birds were directing the whole thing, lol)

track 1: Guitar and vocal. Std tuning capo 4th fret - G,D,C chords
track 2; Guitar 2 , Std tuning no capo - so now B, F# and E chords (headphones)
track 3: empty
track 4: harmony vocal (headphones)

My habit of skipping a track is left over from tape days where crosstalk was a problem with "Hot" tracks but it's laughable on the digital technology. No crosstalk.

Then I jsut panned track 2 a bit R and track 4 a bit L and tapped the "Mixdown" button to create the stereo mix.

The App records CD quality 16 bit 44.1Khz wav files so to get it to the computer I plugged the phone into the USB port and transferred the file. Then I opened it up with Creative Wave studio , added the fade in, then made an .mp3 file to make the movie with. Used Windows movie maker and a quick storyboard with photos from the last week. Pretty damn simple, creation to movie in about 30 minutes.

I actually put a mandolin part later on track 3 and mixed it in when the vocal said "mandolin" but it was a bit too much and I liked the 2 guitar version better. Maybe I'll put that one up later.

This app is great for vocal guitar recordings, haven't tried it out with electrics and amps yet but it's changing my life. Cost only about 10 dollars! Gotta love these audio geeks who make this stuff!

I hope that explains it well.

Be well. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 19:44 by Naturalust.

Date: May 7, 2012 20:03

Thanks NL... great info ... someone had metnioned on another thread about this i phone app... but I had a hard time believing... but you are doing it.. so WOW!!!

and...
Someone else here said that someone a long time ago recorded an entire famous album using just a 4 track recorder... and released it... so there you go... this is the next step.

So.... can you bounce 2 tracks together? and keep going from there? adding track after track?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 7, 2012 20:16

Really really good NL..a great feel to it and captures the essence of the song, and that's the hardest bit! Thanks for sharing it.

Date: May 7, 2012 20:19

Thank cmice! whoo hoo! Yes you can bounce to two tracks (1and 2) or (3 and 4) Or bounce to a new song. So the possibilities are endless if you are willing to commit to a mix every two additional tracks or so.

But the tracks can be imported into any workstation like Pro Tools and added on from there. So it is perfect for getting good in the moment takes, people who wish to do alot of production on them later are not boxed in by this recording.

There is some awesome EQ effects and Amp modelers that are free and other high fidelity APPS that work with it that you can download. I am still marveling at the sound straight from the built in mic. Great for demoing little pop songs in my case and I have a lot of them.

I got the phone two weeks ago and the App 10 days ago and I've made 14 songs with it so far , I guess I'm averaging one a day. That won't last long but it is alot of FUN while I have the motivation. Maybe not so easy on the people around me....lol. I'm hooked and in denial fer sure. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 20:21 by Naturalust.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 7, 2012 20:26

Great job!!! Sounds very good!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 7, 2012 20:27

Sweeeeeeet.... the export ability of track is really nice.... but mainly when the new wears off, and you are not recording a track a minute... you will own the ability to capture that lil diddy you just came up with in you head... on the road... at the airport ...on a plane... at the restaurant... after sex... in the garden at 3:30 PM.... waking up at 4:30 AM.... anywhere anytime it comes to you.... you can easily record the essence of the song... capture it... before it evaporates...... and then later you can do what ever you need.

boop ba-da diddy... bam ba bamm...schwwop schwoop.... see?? writing it ..doesnt work....

Thanks for sharing the track and info...
have fun my friend... cuz fun is a good thing to have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-07 20:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: May 7, 2012 20:43

Wow - this is GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing.

Ha - no "needle and a spoon"? Like your alt lyric smiling smiley

I hope that maybe for my birthday (you know the big 50 this July) you might favor me with a tune. And I won't forget to put roses on your grave...

Well done my friend!smoking smiley

Date: May 7, 2012 20:44

Max'sKansasCity
Sweeeeeeet.... the export ability of track is really nice.... but mainly when the new wears off, and you are not recording a track a minute... you will own the ability to capture that lil diddy you just came up with in you head... on the road... at the airport ...on a plane... at the restaurant... after sex... in the garden at 3:30 PM.... waking up at 4:30 AM.... anywhere anytime it comes to you.... you can easily record the essence of the song... capture it... before it evaporates...... and then later you can do what ever you need.

boop ba-da diddy... bam ba bamm...schwwop schwoop.... see?? writing it ..doesnt work....

Thanks for sharing the track and info...
have fun my friend... cuz fun is a good thing to have.

What a great post...you've inspired me Max! Reaching for the geetaw

Date: May 7, 2012 20:48

crumbling_mice

Whoo Hoo!!! That is the idea. thumbs up

Date: May 7, 2012 21:32

Max'sKansasCity
crumbling_mice

Keepin' that guitar at arms reach is the real secret as you obviously know crumbling one! Now whare did I put that phone? lol peace

Date: May 7, 2012 21:34

Can you use/have you used the i phone to send tracks across the country to jam with other people?

Date: May 7, 2012 21:58

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity
crumbling_mice

Keepin' that guitar at arms reach is the real secret as you obviously know crumbling one! Now whare did I put that phone? lol peace

I have a guitar in every room, some in different tunings, but always ready to go and you never know when that'll be. The wife has ruled out having one in the toilet...shame that

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 7, 2012 22:32

"Dead Flowers & Wild Birds" sounds really great! Congrats bro!

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 7, 2012 22:34

Good job and very nice to hear. I miss the needle and spoon line however but that's just me. I always liked the feeling behind that line. Very nice to hear your version, I bet it was great fun recording.

Date: May 7, 2012 23:29

tumblingdice
I miss the needle and spoon line however .

It's habit (for me to sing that mandolin line) I've been singing it to mixed crowds for quite a while. Not sure whether I changed it for the kids, the parents (mine) or because I'm not living a straight enough life to sing it without suspicion.smoking smiley I like the feeling behind the line too , more desparate in escape, a better image than some smilin' mandolin player for this tune, You're right. It's a perfect lyric and I shouldn't have changed it. No worries. Thanks for listening. peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 8, 2012 01:16

Nice job Naturalist..thanks

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 8, 2012 02:31

Sensational. Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 8, 2012 03:21

Like it!Nice one!
I used to record a lot 4 track on the old Fostex but didn't know about these Iphone possibilities.
Do you know the great D. Flowers version by T. Van Zandt?

Date: May 8, 2012 05:13

Thanks again for listening y'all and the kind words, I am grateful and I feel honored to get such a positive response from a bunch of hard core Rolling Stones fans, the ultimate litmus test for a Stones cover. All except the two it was aimed at...go figure. confused smiley I knew I should have scrapped that sloppy warmup/intro, but once it's posted you can't edit/crop the video with the tools youtube provides, as far as I know.

Max yes you can share the files by attaching them to eamail but I haven't done any cross country collaboration specifically using the iphone. There are some Apps like Riffwqorks which have an online community and they have specific methods and boards for international collaboration. I haven't been willing to swallow the limitations of those programs yet. I do collaborate with a few other people in Nashville, New York, St. Louis but we send multitracks back and forth via Fed Ex. or ocasionally email for simple stuff.

Mcats of course I'll do a tune for your birthday!! What did you have in mind? I could alwaqys surprise you but I usually like some inside information in leiu of being able to look you in the eye and read your non verbals comms as they relate to musical taste. Something that most performers who play to the crowd develop the ability to do. Just putting a big smile on yer face is plenty of motivation for me..at your service....

CousinC you will love the 4Track phone app for this , really cool and simple to use for only $9.99. Worth getting the new i p h o n e for just this App imho. I had the Tascam 4 track machine way back when, similar to the fostex. I haven't heard the version by T. Van Zandt but on your recommendation I'll check it out. thanks bro. peace

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 8, 2012 05:20

GOOD JOB!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 8, 2012 13:19

It's lovely,Naturalust .
As I told you before , I love waking up in the morning and findind one of your tunes.
I even bought a new memory card for my cell so I can put all of them :-)
You are doing a good job and I like your voice very much.

It was very interesting for me as well to read in details how you work from your I phone-a bit technical but I think I undertsood pretty good .
Thanks again for your nice thoughts and
Keep them coming !

SwayStones

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 13:22 by SwayStones.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 8, 2012 13:20

Love the natural feeling to it and layered vocals and instrumentals. The visuals are marvelous too - looks a lot like Santa Cruz - I thought you lived more inland than that. We totally have to get together, dude - some ragged company! grinning smiley

thanks for the dedication
swiss

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 8, 2012 13:25

Yeah,swiss, the landscapes around there are so beautiful .
Each time I watch to all those pics Naturalust sends me ,it brings back peace in my mind .
Not to mention the Montana's ones .Just awesome .

Date: May 8, 2012 14:31

"An error occured" - the video won't play...

Date: May 8, 2012 14:40

DandelionPowderman
I checked it for you DP.... it still plays, might be someting in your system, maybe give it another try.

Date: May 8, 2012 14:51

As cool as the i-phone is, there are some features I dont care for.
Please know I am NOT pissing on the camp fire, I am only posting information which anyone using an i-phone should know about. The main thing I dont like about i-phone is the gps record it keeps. Everywhere you go with the i-phone is recorded. Pair this with the fact one can not replace the battery in one's i-phone. One has to send it in to have the battery replaced, and if "they" care to, "they" can download everywhere one has been with ones' i-phone and all of one's personal information. Maybe this does not matter to folks, but at least people should be aware of it.

Another isssue with the GPS coding is.... every picture you take with your i-phone is embedded with a lot of information on it. That means if you take a pciture with your i-phone, and post it directly on the web, anyone can take a look at the "exif data" and know your exact long/lat location. Once again... Maybe sharing this information with anyone and everyone is A-ok with folks and no one cares, but at least everyone using the i-phone should be aware of it.

What can you do?... You can delete the exif data...how?? like this...
Here is a video which shows you how to simply remove all of this data from your pictures before posting them. Maybe this does not matter to folks, but at least people should be aware of it. Once you have the pictures uploaded into you computer highlight them... and....

Maybe everyone knows all of this, but if not not I thought my fellow IORRers should be aware of it.... becareful out there, we may want to share pictures with the world, but it does not mean we want everyone in the world to have our exact gps/longitude/latitude location.

If I am wrong about any of this... feel free to correct, it is meant to be helpful advice.

PS-
When I was first discovered that data removal video... I had never even heard of exif data, let alone know that it was embedded in every picture I take.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 15:05 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 8, 2012 14:52

Max'sKansasCity
DandelionPowderman
I checked it for you DP.... it still plays, might be someting in your system, maybe give it another try.

Nope, still doesn't play, nor on Youtube. However, his other video "Something" plays there. Nice job, NL!

Date: May 8, 2012 14:55

intersting... it still starts right up for me... and I erase my caches constantly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-08 14:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home