Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Gallagher was considered for the Stones
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 31, 2011 17:01

Nothing we really don't know or haven't discussed at length, but this is from Bill Wyman and Bob Geldof

[uk.omg.yahoo.com]

Re: Gallagher was considered for the Stones
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 31, 2011 17:23

Wyman's characterization of the post, the condition Gallegher didn' make: "learning to be subservient to two big egos"... Now when Ronnie goes around and tells he had a "right personality", that people like Clapton don't have, well... I suppose that qualification ruled out quite many of the possible players to that post (think of Beck, etc.). I guess Bill's definition opens a bit also what means to be a "team player" in the Rolling Stones...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-31 17:25 by Doxa.

Date: December 31, 2011 18:47

I agree Doxa. I really dont think anybody other than Ron Wood could have done the job. Wood has the right personality, no ego, looked like Keith etc, was into the same roots, was into booze and pills and powders and was from London. Clapton, Beck, Gallagher, all over talented for the job and succesful performers in their own right. There was no way they would have taken on an American at that time.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 31, 2011 18:50

I was just enjoying Rory Gallagher last night, what a talent, dominant guitarist, one wonders why Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher are not more popular, Ian Hunter too but he is more rock and roll. Rory's blues are just amazing. I was amazed by Tattoo and those other albums so much when I first heard it.

Date: December 31, 2011 18:52

crumbling_mice
I agree Doxa. I really dont think anybody other than Ron Wood could have done the job. Wood has the right personality, no ego, looked like Keith etc, was into the same roots, was into booze and pills and powders and was from London. Clapton, Beck, Gallagher, all over talented for the job and succesful performers in their own right. There was no way they would have taken on an American at that time.

An American? Eh?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 31, 2011 19:15

crumbling_mice
Nothing we really don't know or haven't discussed at length, but this is from Bill Wyman and Bob Geldof

[uk.omg.yahoo.com]

He was 'considered' to the extent where he auditioned.

Nothing more than that. The Wyman quotes are basically selective rehashes of his recent Uncut interview where he basically dismissed Rory as never being a serious contender.

Theres some serious myths about his audition which have elevated the story to the extent where if you believed some people he was offered the job and turned it down.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 31, 2011 19:27

Gazza
crumbling_mice

[uk.omg.yahoo.com]

Nothing more than that. The Wyman quotes are basically selective rehashes of his recent Uncut interview where he basically dismissed Rory as never being a serious contender.

Theres some serious myths about his audition which have elevated the story to the extent where if you believed some people he was offered the job and turned it down.

Somebody must have liked him, to audition for the Stones implies that he was invited not that he read about the opening in a trade magazine and just showed up at the door.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 31, 2011 19:37

Watermelon smashing would have been an interesting addition to the concert.

Date: December 31, 2011 20:09

BroomWagon
crumbling_mice

An American? Eh?

Sorry, wasn't meant to offend - what I meant was I don't think they would have considered and American guitarist as a serious replacement. Nothing to do with abilities more about keeping it an all English affair. Common shared roots an all that

Date: December 31, 2011 20:13

The Sicilian
Gazza
crumbling_mice

[uk.omg.yahoo.com]

Somebody must have liked him, to audition for the Stones implies that he was invited not that he read about the opening in a trade magazine and just showed up at the door.

Theres a hell of a lot of grey area in between those two extremes, in fairness.

I think it was Rory's brother who has been quoted as saying he turned the Stones down. It's absolute nonsense.

Date: December 31, 2011 20:20

crumbling_mice
Sorry, wasn't meant to offend - what I meant was I don't think they would have considered and American guitarist as a serious replacement. Nothing to do with abilities more about keeping it an all English affair. Common shared roots an all that

Right, but none of these people mentioned, Clapton, Beck, Gallagher from Ireland are American. No offense taken.

Rory Gallagher is American? Wow, learn something new every day.

Maybe you mean this:

what I meant was I don't think they would have considered and Irish guitarist as a serious replacement.

And for the record, one of the websites out there lists such Stones habitual musicians as Hopkins, Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins as Rolling Stones, I don't say I agree with that summation but a website does do that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-31 20:54 by BroomWagon.

Date: December 31, 2011 20:34

BroomWagon
crumbling_mice

Right, but none of these people mentioned, Clapton, Beck, Gallagher from Ireland are American. No offense taken.

Rory Gallagher is American? Now, that's a laugher.

No, that was my point...they are all from UK but for the reasons I stated they weren't deemed appropriate!

Date: December 31, 2011 20:44

Ireland Republic is a part of the UK? Wow, learning a lot today and I have not seen one American guitarist mentioned yet. We better tell that to Roy Keane.

This is off topic but [www.mark-chester.co.uk] MarK Chester wrote a hooligan book, the guy is from Stoke, I'm American, he's an aquaintance, his major favourite band was or is the Eagles, I don't get into them at all but he's a real good guy, served in the Royal Navy, had a bustup "he says" with Americans but told me actually Brits and Americans need each other. Those kinds of books have embellishments in them, I asked him about the story and I'm not sure if it was more of a tall tale but he's a good guy and now is sort of a social worker. Off Topic; I don't see how someone can like the Eagles but to each their own. I've heard before Stoke is a bit of a rough and tumble world than other places in England, I don't know but he sure led a hard life and was addicted at one point.

But it was totally arbitrary to just bring in talking about a Yank in regards to any of the guitarists mentioned.

The original article says nothing about this either:

Former Rolling Stones star Bill Wyman has confirmed a longtime rock 'n' roll myth - tragic Irish blues great Rory Gallagher almost grabbed the spot that was to become Ronnie Wood's in the band.

The bassist reveals Mick Jagger and Keith Richards flew Gallagher out to Holland to rehearse with the Stones after Mick Taylor quit the group suddenly at the end of 1974, and they seriously considered adding him to the line-up.

Interviewed for a new documentary about Gallagher, Wyman says, "Rory stayed two or three days there and played some nice stuff. We had a good time with him, but I think Mick and Keith felt that he wasn't the kind of character that would have fit.

"If he'd have been in the Stones, he wouldn't have been singing and that was one of his strong points. He would have just been playing (guitar) solos... and learning to be subservient to two big egos. I don't think it would have worked."

And Gallagher's friend Bob Geldof agrees. Also appearing in the film, Ghost Blues, the Boomtown Rats star adds, "He could never have put up with the b**locks of Mick and Keith, never in a thousand years... Up against Mick and Keith, he would have shot himself."

Gallagher died of complications from a liver transplant in 1995, aged 47.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-31 21:20 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 31, 2011 22:27

I must admit for a second I thought that this was about Noel and/or Liam.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: December 31, 2011 22:44

As CREEM Magazine put it, when mentioning Rory Gallagher, the nod went to the better dressed Ron Wood.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 31, 2011 23:09

They considered this?

Date: December 31, 2011 23:12

BroomWagon
crumbling_mice

Rory Gallagher is American? Wow, learn something new every day.

Thats not what he said.

Date: December 31, 2011 23:41

Gazza
Thats not what he said.

I get it now, like one could say Darryl Jones should not be a full-fledged Stone because he is American or could that be interpreted in other ways? Jimi Hendrix Experience of course had Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding. All the same, it's a slippery slope of logic to discuss.

Date: December 31, 2011 23:57

No..I think the 'keeping it an English band' thing was an issue, but the quote didnt state that Gallagher was an American. I think a missing comma or hyphen or so led to it being misinterpreted.

Should have read :

"Right, but none of these people mentioned - Clapton, Beck, Gallagher from Ireland - are American".

Darryl Jones was never going to replace Wyman because there was no way, three decades into their career, they were going to divide the pie into five pieces when they could continue as a four-piece. Too much money to lose.

Additionally, Ronnie had just become a full band member. He signed the Virgin contract and Bill didnt. If anything, when it came to a business move, Ronnie sort of replaced Bill Wyman and Darryl replaced Ronnie in terms of being a new 'salaried employee'.

Date: January 1, 2012 00:23

Gazza
No..I think the 'keeping it an English band' thing was an issue, but the quote didnt state that Gallagher was an American. I think a missing comma or hyphen or so led to it being misinterpreted.

Should have read :

"Right, but none of these people mentioned - Clapton, Beck, Gallagher from Ireland - are American".

Darryl Jones was never going to replace Wyman because there was no way, three decades into their career, they were going to divide the pie into five pieces when they could continue as a four-piece. Too much money to lose.

Additionally, Ronnie had just become a full band member. He signed the Virgin contract and Bill didnt. If anything, when it came to a business move, Ronnie sort of replaced Bill Wyman and Darryl replaced Ronnie in terms of being a new 'salaried employee'.

I'll drop it but these are excuses, yeah, good historic information, if this has NOT been discussed, you sure could put it in this light. It may not be malicious, but all the same, there are some people that can be on the end of these remarks in turn. It's a lot more than saying "To keep it an English affair",

"Rory Gallagher a band member? Are the Stones going to hire an American?

What is the difference if one said:

"Darryl Jones a band member? Are the Stones going to hire a Chinese bass player?

Would he fit in? One could say the Stones need to keep it a "London affair", an "English affair" but it is clear you could also insinuate other things, religion, skin colour, sure, national origin, sexual orientation, those are often the rights that are protected of people along with disability or being phyically/mentally challenged. Slippery slope, I mean no malice, it didn't come out right. I'm not sensitive, likewise, I spoke up.

But in the end, it is just as bad as the old joke that goes in talking about these blues players in the '60s "those white boys wanted to play the blues bad and that's how they played them, badly", I don't know if you have heard that, but I likewise, don't agree with that, can find it to be offence too and is not funny either.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2012 00:25

............ thought it was gonna say Liam was takin' over from Micko ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 1, 2012 00:45

A true classic

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 1, 2012 01:24

BroomWagon
Gazza

Should have read :

I'll drop it but these are excuses, yeah, good historic information, if this has NOT been discussed, you sure could put it in this light. It may not be malicious, but all the same, there are some people that can be on the end of these remarks in turn. It's a lot more than saying "To keep it an English affair",

"Darryl Jones a band member? Are the Stones going to hire a Chinese bass player?

Would he fit in? One could say the Stones need to keep it a "London affair", an "English affair" but it is clear you could also insinuate other things, religion, skin colour, sure, national origin, sexual orientation, those are often the rights that are protected of people along with disability or being phyically/mentally challenged. Slippery slope, I mean no malice, it didn't come out right. I'm not sensitive, likewise, I spoke up.

But in the end, it is just as bad as the old joke that goes in talking about these blues players in the '60s "those white boys wanted to play the blues bad and that's how they played them, badly", I don't know if you have heard that, but I likewise, don't agree with that, can find it to be offence too and is not funny either.

If you have a problem with this issue I think you should address your criticism to Keith Richards. It was him - or someone else from the band, but my memory says it was Keith - who said at the time that the reason why Harvey Mandel - or Wayne Perkins - were not qualified was that they were not British, since the band is an English one. I think that is the original source that is referred and meant here.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-01 01:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: January 1, 2012 01:29

ryanpow
Watermelon smashing would have been an interesting addition to the concert.

was thinking the same thing when i read the topic !!

thats funny

Date: January 1, 2012 02:01

Doxa
BroomWagon
Gazza

Should have read :

If you have a problem with this issue I think you should address your criticism to Keith Richards. It was him - or someone else from the band, but my memory says it was Keith - who said at the time that the reason why Harvey Mandel - or Wayne Perkins - were not qualified was that they were not British, since the band is an English one. I think that is the original source that is referred and meant here.

- Doxa

I was seeking clarification here: this statement sounds like it is insinuating Rory Gallagher is American nothing about picking people's words:

"I agree Doxa. I really dont think anybody other than Ron Wood could have done the job. Wood has the right personality, no ego, looked like Keith etc, was into the same roots, was into booze and pills and powders and was from London. Clapton, Beck, Gallagher, all over talented for the job and succesful performers in their own right. There was no way they would have taken on an American at that time.

But in fairness, Crumbling Mice says "THEY", Crumbling Mice does not say "I". That part of the paragraph merely i was trying to clear up and I said Gallagher is from Ireland.

Date: January 1, 2012 02:05

Yet, Wood was immediately put on the album covers, Black and Blue for instance. The 4 Stones have been exactly that, Jagger, Richards, Wood and Watts.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 1, 2012 02:11

Rory Gallagher knew who he was. Didn't need the Stones.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 1, 2012 02:22

Never would have worked. IMHO Ronnie sacrificed a lot of artistic (as well as personal) integrity for the fortune and glory of being a Stone. Rory seems to have been the type who'd have told Mick and Keith to bugger off. I can't see him letting Mick lick his face, grab his crotch, kick him in the ass, hit on his woman, or introduce him as "Rory 'Rehab' Gallagher" (as he introduced Ronnie ("Ronnie 'Rehab' Wood!") at MSG a few years ago). Really a shame that they were such @#$%&, as well as such artistic geniuses.

Date: January 1, 2012 02:54

Well, it's easy to mix up words, someone said Rory declined the Stones according to the story but online:

For a long time the story of Rory Gallagher almost being a member of The Rolling Stones did the rounds. At the end of 1974, Mick Taylor left the band and Keith and Mick had to look for a replacement. "In January 1975, I got a phone call from The Stones management wondering if Rory might be interested, because Mick saw a lot in Rory. That was the case and of course it also made my mouth water. The auditions took place in The Hague, in The Netherlands. Rory went there on his own, and to this day I regret that. He was put up in a hotel, jammed a bit with the band, but no decision was forthcoming. Even then The Rolling Stones were an unassailable mega act and could have everything they wanted and keep everybody waiting. Rory on the other hand had a tour of Japan in his agenda and those dates kept getting closer. The Stones’ management knew that, but probably thought that Rory would cancel it. However they didn't count on Rory’s stubbornness, as well as his loyalty to his fans. He kept waiting to the end, but finally packed his bags and left a note at the reception: "If you still want me then I will hear from you" and he left for Japan. If I had been there I would have tied him to his chair if I had to. I wonder sometimes: what would have become of him if he had become a member. Would he be alive still? There was never any word from The Stones. They were probably offended to death by his perceived impertinence." - [www.roryon.com]

Sounds like his brother Donal tells these stories.

A Stones spokesman commented: "They are not in any hurry to find a permanent replacement for Mick Taylor, and they intend to use various guest guitarists on the new album." NME understands that ex-Mountain stalwart Leslie West may be another guest to be featured. Jimmy Page and Ron Wood have already contributed to individual tracks. - [www.roryon.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 1, 2012 03:13

I think Gallagher would have been a very controversial choice...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home