Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Gallagher was considered for the Stones
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 1, 2012 03:27

BroomWagon
Well, it's easy to mix up words, someone said Rory declined the Stones according to the story but online:

For a long time the story of Rory Gallagher almost being a member of The Rolling Stones did the rounds. At the end of 1974, Mick Taylor left the band and Keith and Mick had to look for a replacement. "In January 1975, I got a phone call from The Stones management wondering if Rory might be interested, because Mick saw a lot in Rory. That was the case and of course it also made my mouth water. The auditions took place in The Hague, in The Netherlands. Rory went there on his own, and to this day I regret that. He was put up in a hotel, jammed a bit with the band, but no decision was forthcoming. Even then The Rolling Stones were an unassailable mega act and could have everything they wanted and keep everybody waiting. Rory on the other hand had a tour of Japan in his agenda and those dates kept getting closer. The Stones’ management knew that, but probably thought that Rory would cancel it. However they didn't count on Rory’s stubbornness, as well as his loyalty to his fans. He kept waiting to the end, but finally packed his bags and left a note at the reception: "If you still want me then I will hear from you" and he left for Japan. If I had been there I would have tied him to his chair if I had to. I wonder sometimes: what would have become of him if he had become a member. Would he be alive still? There was never any word from The Stones. They were probably offended to death by his perceived impertinence." - [www.roryon.com]

Sounds like his brother Donal tells these stories.

A Stones spokesman commented: "They are not in any hurry to find a permanent replacement for Mick Taylor, and they intend to use various guest guitarists on the new album." NME understands that ex-Mountain stalwart Leslie West may be another guest to be featured. Jimmy Page and Ron Wood have already contributed to individual tracks. - [www.roryon.com]

I've read this on the Rory Wiki. I still think it never would have worked. But - unfortunately, we'll never know, will we? Rory's dominant male personality and talent may well have made inroads that Ronnie could only dream of.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 1, 2012 03:51

The watermelon smashing would have been more suited for The Who. But Pete might have had issues with possibly slipping on watermelon juice and seeds.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 1, 2012 04:13

Gazza and Crumbling Mice are great people, I am just sorry it we got our writings crossed, everyone here is pretty nice but really, we are starting a new year. That's all, I couldn't get what I was reading, FORGET IT, But Edward's posts are just great, I even delved into Doxa's posts too, cool how you can look into someone's posts from weeks, years ago, learn something from some of these people, BUT at the minimum, there must have been a meeting, a sort of tryout with Gallagher and he went to the trouble to go to Netherlands.

Gallagher was invited to "The auditions took place in The Hague, in The Netherlands. Rory went there on his own, and to this day I regret that."

Gee, and the threads here have enough references to the Beatles, John Lennon definitely has some Irish heritage, I believe the same is for Paul McCartney. Like the Stones would really think, "I don't know about Gallagher, He's Irish", I mean this is a bit of a far out tangent, maybe it's possible but to go out to Netherlands, that's a bit of a bother.

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-01 04:34 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 1, 2012 04:25

If someone like Clapton, Beck or Gallagher replaced Taylor, I believe that position would have been a revolving door until this day.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 1, 2012 04:25

BluzDude
If someone like Clapton, Beck or Gallagher replaced Taylor, I believe that position would have been a revolving door until this day.

Yep.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 1, 2012 06:21

71Tele
I think Gallagher would have been a very controversial choice...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp

I saw him live once. The entire audience was covered in protective plastic sheeting. I said WTF? If you're gonna go to something like that, you got to go hardcore. I sat front row center. No protection whatsoever. It was awesome! Except for the mayonnaise in my hair. That was a bitch. I've got "before" and "after" photos from that night. I'll post them someday. Gallagher spotted me right away as someone who could "help" his show, and invited me up onstage. I simulated anal sex on him, which he said no one had ever done before.

Date: January 1, 2012 07:08

tatters
71Tele
I think Gallagher would have been a very controversial choice...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp

I saw him live once. The entire audience was covered in protective plastic sheeting. I said WTF? If you're gonna go to something like that, you got to go hardcore. I sat front row center. No protection whatsoever. It was awesome! Except for the mayonnaise in my hair. That was a bitch. I've got "before" and "after" photos from that night. I'll post them someday. Gallagher spotted me right away as someone who could "help" his show, and invited me up onstage. I simulated anal sex on him, which he said no one had ever done before.

nice!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 1, 2012 07:12

BroomWagon
Gazza and Crumbling Mice are great people, I am just sorry it we got our writings crossed, everyone here is pretty nice but really, we are starting a new year. That's all, I couldn't get what I was reading, FORGET IT, But Edward's posts are just great, I even delved into Doxa's posts too, cool how you can look into someone's posts from weeks, years ago, learn something from some of these people, BUT at the minimum, there must have been a meeting, a sort of tryout with Gallagher and he went to the trouble to go to Netherlands.

Gallagher was invited to "The auditions took place in The Hague, in The Netherlands. Rory went there on his own, and to this day I regret that."

Gee, and the threads here have enough references to the Beatles, John Lennon definitely has some Irish heritage, I believe the same is for Paul McCartney. Like the Stones would really think, "I don't know about Gallagher, He's Irish", I mean this is a bit of a far out tangent, maybe it's possible but to go out to Netherlands, that's a bit of a bother.

[www.iorr.org]

I dont think they didnt take him because of his nationality - I agree that it wouldnt have been that much of an issue.

He was just never a serious contender for the job. The shortlist was Perkins, Mandel and Woody.

Re: The Beatles. The only Beatle with no Irish ancestry was Ringo.

And I think Bluzdude's 'revolving door' comment is spot on. In fact, the band probably wouldnt have lasted anywhere near this long had they NOT picked Woody.

Date: January 1, 2012 07:32

perkins sounds so good on black and blue... i've often wondered..

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 1, 2012 16:11

Hopefully this is cleared up and I apolgise or misleading anyone on the whole American guitarist thing. I have to admit to being a little worse for wear when I put the original post up. Well, it was New years eve and I started a little early. And for the record I think Perkins and Mandel were superb on B&B, it was only what I'd read about the keeping it a brit thing. Thanks to Gazza for steppin in to help clarify thangs.

Hope 2012 brings you all you wish for

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 1, 2012 16:27

Gazza
I dont think they didnt take him because of his nationality

True. The Stones would have loved an Irishman in the band. The Irish as a nation (not me personally) would drink Loch Éireann.

Rory wasn't like that though (unlike Shane McGowan for instance).

The Stones wanted someone they could push around (and who also had loads of talent) - Woody is perfect.

As far American's: if Hendrix was alive he'd have fit the Stones like a glove.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 1, 2012 16:28

stonesrule
Rory Gallagher knew who he was. Didn't need the Stones.

Quoted for truth.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 1, 2012 17:45

Amazingly no one yet mentioned the latest issue of MOJO which covers the Stones adventures between 1974 and 1978.
It has an interesting piece about the potential MT replacements.

Says Bill not the rock journo : "[RG] played with us for three days and nights. A nice guy, but he didn't fit the mould".

Two more for you :

P. Frampton? "Too pretty to be a Rolling Stone" Dang!

Jeff Beck? "He came and went, saying he didn't want to have to play 12-bar blues all the time".

Good old Bill! >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-01 17:50 by dcba.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 1, 2012 20:18

dcba
Amazingly no one yet mentioned the latest issue of MOJO which covers the Stones adventures between 1974 and 1978.

Says Bill not the rock journo : "[RG] played with us for three days and nights. A nice guy, but he didn't fit the mould".

Two more for you :

Jeff Beck? "He came and went, saying he didn't want to have to play 12-bar blues all the time".

Talking about Jeff Beck, John Lennon recorded Gene Vincent's Be Bop A Lula, Edde Cochran was popular too, he did the famous song "Summertime blues" so many have since done, the Who famously, but back to Gene Vincent, I'm reading this book "The Rockin' '50s" because what has always fascinated me was how this music influenced the Rolling Stones, Beatles and others.

American Gene Vincent, still I dont' think that well known here like Elvis Presley, Chuck, etc. seems to have been very popular in England.

Jeff Beck has a whole album of Gene Vincent numbers, Crazy Legs [www.amazon.co.uk]. Some Gene Vincent like Baby Blue are really good and the book says Gene Vincent had a b-side song, Woman Love actually banned by radio stations way back then. So, I've been listening to Gene Vincent more lately, good stuff.

But Frampton and Beck, etc. probably did not have the right persona for the band but is it in the Wyman interview or somewhere where they say by then it was the Mick and Keith show, great songwriters and great music though, you can't argue with that.

But a lot to this Vincent fellow, I really don't think a lot of these fellows are household names and even Buddy Holly is just barely household names, this same book has pages and pages of Elvis though with total respect, Chuck Berry probably contributed more. I'm going on but the Everly Brothers, so influential to the Beatles and Hollies especially had problems even finding a label in the '90s. Does that relate to the Stones if one were to say, Hey, maybe people like Chuck Berry and the Everlies weren't making as good of music as they once did.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: January 1, 2012 22:01

in fact ronnie was the good choice ... since , still a stones for decades

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 1, 2012 22:09

Ronnie was the perfect choice at the time...there was none more perfectly placed. The Stone and The Faces were the two raunchy rock bands apart from Zepplin and Page wouldnt have left nor would Keith and Jagger have taken him.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 2, 2012 22:24

I agree with Bill -- not a good fit.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: January 2, 2012 23:50

Did Leslie West ever actually jam with the Stones?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2012 00:30

dcba

Two more for you :

I did. Except that I got the mag wrong and said it was 'Uncut'!

This stuff is basically a rehash of that piece with a misleading headline.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 3, 2012 01:24

tatters
Gallagher spotted me right away as someone who could "help" his show, and invited me up onstage. I simulated anal sex on him, which he said no one had ever done before.

I wouldn't consider that a highlight moment to be proud of, even if it was for comedy. Someday that may end up in your resume. Maybe there was a reason no one had done that.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: January 3, 2012 02:28

When I first read the title of this thread, I briefly thought it referred to Liam or Noel!

Date: January 3, 2012 02:36

The Sicilian
tatters
Gallagher spotted me right away as someone who could "help" his show, and invited me up onstage. I simulated anal sex on him, which he said no one had ever done before.

I wouldn't consider that a highlight moment to be proud of, even if it was for comedy. Someday that may end up in your resume. Maybe there was a reason no one had done that.

Resume? You're joking, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 02:59 by tatters.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 3, 2012 08:39

What about Gallagher's brother ?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 3, 2012 09:22

nobody else but Ronnie Wood would have stayed working with Keith in 36 years...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 3, 2012 15:12

trainarollin
What about Gallagher's brother ?

From Wiki:

Conflict with brother's act
In the early 1990s Gallagher's younger brother, Ron Gallagher, asked him for permission to perform shows using Gallagher's trademark Sledge-O-Matic routine. Gallagher granted his permission on the condition that Ron and his manager made it clear in promotional materials that it was Ron Gallagher, not Leo Gallagher, who was performing. After several years, Ron began promoting his act as Gallagher Too or Gallagher Two. In some instances, Ron's act was promoted in a way that provided no clue to prospective attendees that they were not seeing the original Gallagher.
Gallagher initially attempted to stop his brother from performing these activities by requesting that he not use the Sledge-O-Matic routine. These efforts proved futile, as Ron kept touring as Gallagher Too and using the Sledge-O-Matic routine. In August 2000, Gallagher sued his brother for trademark violations and false advertising. The courts ultimately sided with Leo Gallagher, and an injunction was granted prohibiting Ron from performing any act that impersonates his brother in small clubs and venues. This injunction also prohibited Ron from intentionally bearing likeness to his brother.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 15:15 by tatters.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 3, 2012 15:22

Come On

Your completely right.......all the others wouldn't stayed for 3-4 years

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2012 15:30

NICOS
Come On

Your completely right.......all the others wouldn't stayed for 3-4 years

In that sense Taylor's five years was quite a good achievement. Well, couldn't break the record of Brian's seven yaers but that doesn't count since Brian got a chance to play the boss in the early days...

- Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 3, 2012 15:33

Why am I very glad that Rory didn't become a Stone ?

Because we wouldn't now have all his wonderful solo works and the experience of his myriad live performances.

[I'm not too sure whether the Celtic flavourings in Rory's playing would have suited the Stones either.]

Date: January 3, 2012 15:47

The interesting thing is imo why he got to adition in the first place. He didn't seem like the natural choice musically after Taylor?

As great as Rory was, his kind of blues rock was very different to the Stones's - and he seemed to have a lack of versatility (mainly in taste) compared to Mick and Keith.

I say "seemed to", since I've only heard some of his albums + seen live videos.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2012 16:07

DandelionPowderman
The interesting thing is imo why he got to adition in the first place. He didn't seem like the natural choice musically after Taylor?

As great as Rory was, his kind of blues rock was very different to the Stones's - and he seemed to have a lack of versatility (mainly in taste) compared to Mick and Keith.

I say "seemed to", since I've only heard some of his albums + seen live videos.

Also to my ears the mix of Rory's blues with the Stones does not quite ring bell, as like with the speculations of George Thorogood replacing Ronnie in 1981. Both of those guys have such a personal - and a bit limited - touch to their art that I can't really imagine them to fit to the Stones scheme (but by contrast, I could imagine Beck or Clapton fitting quite easily, and fill Taylor's shoes by their own style). But then, the change from Brian to Taylor surely sounded odd to some ears in 1969. But probably the whole band - and the whole scene - changed so much at the time that it wasn't noticed so much.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 16:10 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home