Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Gallagher was considered for the Stones
Date: January 3, 2012 16:20

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
The interesting thing is imo why he got to adition in the first place. He didn't seem like the natural choice musically after Taylor?

As great as Rory was, his kind of blues rock was very different to the Stones's - and he seemed to have a lack of versatility (mainly in taste) compared to Mick and Keith.

I say "seemed to", since I've only heard some of his albums + seen live videos.

Also to my ears the mix of Rory's blues with the Stones does not quite ring bell, as like with the speculations of George Thorogood replacing Ronnie in 1981. Both of those guys have such a personal - and a bit limited - touch to their art that I can't really imagine them to fit to the Stones scheme (but by contrast, I could imagine Beck or Clapton fitting quite easily, and fill Taylor's shoes by their own style). But then, the change from Brian to Taylor surely sounded odd to some ears in 1969. But probably the whole band - and the whole scene - changed so much at the time that it wasn't noticed so much.

- Doxa

I could never imagine Beck in the Stones. That would have been the oddest choice musically. Clapton could have fit musically, but he was too big at the time by his own.

Come to think of it, the change from Brian to Taylor never really happened, due to Keith playing more and more lead guitar in 67-68, making the transition softer musically before Taylor joined. Had he joined after Aftermath, I would have agreed it would have been odd to some ears.

However, some of Mick and Keith's genius is to do the unexpected, and not being afraid of making, what other bands would have considered, big changes.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2012 17:15

DandelionPowderman
Come to think of it, the change from Brian to Taylor never really happened, due to Keith playing more and more lead guitar in 67-68, making the transition softer musically before Taylor joined. Had he joined after Aftermath, I would have agreed it would have been odd to some ears.

Yeah, that's true. I think the departure of Brian actually took several yaers. It was long, but evitable process. There were rumours of the others (AL0, Mick, Keith?) willing to get rid of him already in 1965 when he started to get 'difficult'. Probaly it was not very likely at time (any more than in 1963 when Brian thought to kick Jagger out...). Brian's star was way way too big at the time (like his musical contribution). Then it is claimed that Brian wanted to leave in 1967 (after the Anitagate I guess) but the others didn't let that happen because he was too significant imagewise. Perhaps even musically still.

So I have come to the conclusion that it took two years, from 1967 to 1969, that it came possible that Brian could actually leave/to be kicked out. During those years the band grew up musically independent from him, especially Keith's confidence and skills and fame had arisen enough to keep the band in his shoulders (with Mick). And at the same time the climate of music changed to more guitar-friendly direction, of which Brian had distanced himself by then. In 1969 they didn't need musically him (probaly not) at all and imagewise not so much any longer. The choice of Taylor came purely from a musical point of view: he was kind of guy (a guitar ace) they really needed at the time. Being almost "nobody" didn't matter at all; the band was already a Jagger/Richard show in public. But still they were very careful and I suppose afraid how the fans would react, and tried to announce Brian's departure with silky hands, and spoke about the possibilities that Jones might rejoin in future, etc. As terrible it is, and nobody usually dares to say it aloud, Brian's death actually helped the band to get out of the hook, and start imagewise from a scratch. It is almost forgetten now how popular Brian was even still in 1969, and how essential he publicly was seen to be for Stones. I guess it would be like firing Keith Richards now, and see how the fans react to see the Stones without him... (but musically it was impossible to have a freerider guitarist in the band in 1969... nowadays it is different...winking smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 17:27 by Doxa.

Date: January 3, 2012 23:40

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-04 12:16 by Doxa.

Date: January 3, 2012 23:42

DandelionPowderman
I could never imagine Beck in the Stones. That would have been the oddest choice musically. Clapton could have fit musically, but he was too big at the time by his own.

I know what you mean re Beck. But I used a bit more creative imagination: in that scenario the blade would have been shown, and Beck's proper place pointed out.. Yeah, Jeff with all his over-technical jazz fusionism and 'let's invent for the sake of invention' mentality is as far as it can be from Keith Richards but if his ego would be little 'ronniewoodizied', he would at least had the potentia to fill the guitarist position. I think Rory Gallagher - like George Thorogood - didn't have the that kind of variety in their playing and taste in music over-all. Ronnie has; he does not shine particularly anywhere but he is a good all-around man. And Beck could do anything, and shine anywhere.

But I admit, no in hell Beck would have been my favourite candidate for that position!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-03 23:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 4, 2012 01:21

tomcat2006
When I first read the title of this thread, I briefly thought it referred to Liam or Noel!

Yes i thought crazy keith had invited Liam to front the band for the 50th Anniversary tour having had an almighty falling out with MJ at the recent jam sessions..

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 6, 2012 17:44

Gazza
Theres some serious myths about his audition which have elevated the story to the extent where if you believed some people he was offered the job and turned it down.

Yep I've heard or read that story somewhere...
I've seen Rory twice , in 1982 and 1986 in my hometown, and if he had got the job, think it could have been the Roughin' STONES live , just my 2 ctswinking smiley,
but I don't believe in him passing the test over the years for more or less the same reasons than Mick TAYLOR...

Anyway a great player

No credits

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-06 17:47 by Honestman.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 6, 2012 21:42

I saw RG three times through the 70's and on two of the occasions he was mindblowing, the other time, very average. I still listen to his Irish TOur 74 Cd on a regular basis and it's the playing on this which I think would have fitted the stones, but he was a very hardworking guitarist a bit too like Keith at that time, so I'm not sure the blend would have sounded too good, maybe just a little too over the top.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: January 6, 2012 22:18

The Irish Tour '74 DVD is a must-see. Write-up here.

Date: January 6, 2012 22:31

OlRiddim

You've made my day olriddim - I didn't know it had been released on DVD. Amazon here I come! smileys with beer

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 7, 2012 00:31

guy could play the lights out,but not right for the stones.they probably knew in five minutes.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: January 7, 2012 01:26

crumbling_mice
OlRiddim

You've made my day olriddim - I didn't know it had been released on DVD. Amazon here I come! smileys with beer

Do it - do it. Best live DVD I crossed paths with in 2011. Well ... there was that Live in Texas thing ...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 8, 2012 15:48

DandelionPowderman

I could smiling smiley

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 8, 2012 16:02

Thanks for posting the vid.
Two legendary guitarists sporting their now cult-status guitars. Blackie and the Gibby-Tele.

Date: January 8, 2012 16:06

Cult- status guitars. That's the best way to describe them indeed.

Date: January 8, 2012 17:19

Beck would have been wrong for the Stones on sooooo many levels. The main one being there is no place for fret board gymnastics in the worlds greatest garage band!

Date: January 8, 2012 17:29

He would overplay- just like Taylor back in the days. cool smiley

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 8, 2012 20:27

OlRiddim
Do it - do it. Best live DVD I crossed paths with in 2011.

confused smiley

Irish Tour '74 has some of the worst editing in a DVD that I've seen. The music shines through though...

Rory Gallagher "The Definitive Montreux Collection" is miles better.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 21:02

Seeing the headline, I thought, "One of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis?! What the f__k?!" Never heard of Rory until now. I learned sumpin'.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 8, 2012 22:42

Mick Taylor OVERPLAY?!!! HAHAHAHah

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home