Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 29
Re: Stones to jam in studio this month
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:52

Doxa
stonescrow
33,000 views over a jam session? Ya think there might be just a little interest in the Stones working again?

Actully I don't think that is such a huge surprise in a Rolling Stones fan site.

- Doxa

Passion unmatched by any fans in the world.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: November 29, 2011 03:54

Doxa
stonescrow
33,000 views over a jam session? Ya think there might be just a little interest in the Stones working again?

Actully I don't think that is such a huge surprise in a Rolling Stones fan site.

- Doxa

Greatest fans in the world.

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: November 29, 2011 05:24

stonescrow
Doxa
stonescrow

- Doxa

Wallets unmatched by any fans in the world.

Date: November 29, 2011 11:19

Craziness unmatched by any fans in the world...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 30, 2011 16:11

DandelionPowderman
Craziness unmatched by any fans in the world...

have you been to the spike jones messageboard lately?

Date: December 1, 2011 09:09

nocomment
now the month (of november) is nearing to be finshed (re. the name of this
topic...), has anything happened?

keith has changed it to "december" in recent interviews.

yeah, but the holidays are quite the busy time, for the families, the grandkids...

january then? yeah january. that's the ticket.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 1, 2011 15:33

Keith is evidently spending Christmas ar Redlands this year...according to an interview his Mrs gave for some magazine or other.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 1, 2011 18:56

stonescrow
Doxa
stonescrow

- Doxa

Based on what research?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 1, 2011 21:10

November is over - any news about the Jam or was it the usual Keith thing?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: December 1, 2011 21:20

The most complete article I could find. (apologies if it's been posted already)
Neatly sums up recent developments:

Stones Near Decision on 50th Anniversary Shows
Tour could be the biggest of all time – but do Mick and Keith want to do it?

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards will meet in December to decide how the Rolling Stones will celebrate next year's 50th anniversary, according to a top tour-industry source. "I don't see why in the world the Stones can't put together some kind of show next year," says Richards. "I'd almost count on it. It doesn't have to be the whole spectacle bullshit again, but we've got to find our own way through this."

"It is quite amazing when you think about it," Jagger adds. "Anything's possible."
A top source tells Rolling Stone that AEG Live, Live Nation and veteran Stones promoter Michael Cohl have already reached out about acquiring the band's anniversary tour, which has the potential to be the biggest of all time. "It would be a total home run," says the source.

The rock world is paying attention: "The Stones are iconic figures in Western society," says Sting. "I hope they'll stop bickering. I'd like to see them doing what they do." Adds Joe Perry, "I would love to see them just go and do arenas and have it be as stripped-down as possible, the way they did on the Exile tour – where they had the horn section and Ian Stewart playing keyboards. As close as they could get to that would be great."

Following a band meeting in September at the Stones' London office, Richards, guitarist Ronnie Wood and drummer Charlie Watts were set to convene in November to jam in London. "I would suggest a lot of blues in the beginning," says Richards. "That's where the band's roots are. We'll start playing some Jimmy Reed stuff and some Muddy Waters stuff and then things will blossom from there. It might bore Mick to death – and that's the idea. We're just going to go, and you start from Day One. You've got the drums and a couple of guitars and you start hammering away.
"Mick is welcome," Richards adds. "I'm sure he'll turn up."
Richards' nasty, gossip-packed 2010 memoir, Life, painted an unrelentingly negative portrait of Jagger and his contributions to the Stones – straining the duo's relationship. "I think there's a healing process waiting to take place," Wood says. "I think it's happening now as we speak, but it has to be resolved. Something has to be resolved there. They have to come to terms with going on a working basis, which Charlie and I will help make happen. Wish me luck."
"That old healing process," says Stones saxophone player Bobby Keys with a laugh. "Boy, that is an ongoing process. But last time I was onstage with them, there was no blood lost. They always seem to work it out." Adds longtime friend Peter Wolf, "If one looks at the history of great collaborations, Gilbert and Sullivan didn't always have a good time at it, either. But once they choose to get together to work, that is usually the great healer."
Richards says he's up for another massive world stadium and arena run like 2005's Bigger Bang tour, but isn't sure Jagger wants to make such a large commitment. "I don't know about that," Richards says. "I don't think Mick would. We'd like to be ready to be able to do it if the idea starts to happen. I'd even invite Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor back in. Why not? It's 50 years. Everyone deserves a party."
Adds Jagger, "That'd be very complete if it all happened." Taylor and Wyman have both worked with the Stones recently: Taylor, who left the band in 1974 to pursue a solo career, contributed new guitar work on last year's Exile on Main St. box set, and Wyman, who departed in 1992, plays bass on a cover of Bob Dylan's "Watching the River Flow" that the band recorded for a 2011 tribute album to late keyboard player Ian Stewart. "I've been reading about the possibilities in the press, but Keith hasn't turned his lips in my direction yet," says Wyman. "Let's see what transpires over the next few weeks, and I can then make a serious decision. I've got my chops together, and I know that my mate Charlie has – so let's see if it ever happens."
One option some insiders floated has the band camping out for multinight runs in major cities. "I think the idea of doing multiple shows in certain cities – New York, L.A., maybe Chicago, maybe Atlanta – would be wonderful," says longtime keyboardist Chuck Leavell. Bobby Keys agrees: "In my fantasy of Rolling Stones gigs, I would like to see a gig that's centralized in one place: Let the people come to us instead of making all that traveling. That's always the main thing that bothers me about going on the road. It didn't used to, but hell, now we're all in our late sixties and shit, and it's just kind of a pain in the ass."
For its 40th anniversary in 2002, the band launched the massive Licks Tour, playing stadiums, arenas and small venues (sometimes all in the same city) and releasing a career retrospective with new songs. But this time around, there is no sign of new material. "I'm not writing for them right now," says Richards, who has been working on a solo project "reminiscent of early Chess records." "I'm cutting my own stuff with [producer and drummer] Steve Jordan," he says. "There's no point in writing for the Stones until I know that Mick Jagger's in. He could have every song I've ever written. They're all for him. If he doesn't like them – or if he poo-poos them – I take them somewhere else." Adds Wood, "I think we have so much back catalog that we would go out without new material, but then again one of the boys might go, 'No, I wouldn't dream of going out unless we have new material. I don't mind, really.'"

The band last played live together in August 2007 at London's O2 Arena, wrapping the two-year, $558 million Bigger Bang tour. "We were riding the top of the wave," says Wood. "I didn't want it to end." Since then, the Stones have been unusually busy: Jagger released an album with reggae-soul supergroup SuperHeavy; Richards published the bestselling Life; Watts toured with his longtime jazz group; and Wood released a solo album, exhibited paintings and hosted a U.K. classic-rock radio show. In between, the group went back into the studio to add new parts to outtakes included with the stellar Exile and Some Girls reissues.

For Jagger, probably the least-nostalgic Stone, the looming anniversary has him reflecting on just how far the band has come. "It's a very different group than the one that played 50 years ago," he says. "When I think about it, one part of me goes, 'We're slightly cheating,' because it's not the same band – still the same name, but it's only Keith and myself that are the same people, I think. I've tried to find out when Charlie's first gig was [but can't]. But it's an amazing achievement. It's fantastic and I'm very proud of it."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:57

Gazza
stonescrow
Doxa
stonescrow

- Doxa

Based on what research?

Blind taste test obviously.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:00

Date: December 3, 2011 04:36

mtaylor

Doubt its something you'd reasonably expect to hear about in a press release, in all seriousness.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 3, 2011 12:36

What Erik linked here is confirmation from a poster, who says Keith flew in to London and Ronnie is coming via Sydney.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 3, 2011 15:17

Lorenz

What Erik linked here is confirmation from a poster, who says Keith flew in to London and Ronnie is coming via Sydney.

any inside information on whether we're talking window or aisle seats?

Date: December 3, 2011 22:00

Gazza
mtaylor

Doubt its something you'd reasonably expect to hear about in a press release, in all seriousness.

Isn't that how, essentially, we heard about it in the first place?

Date: December 3, 2011 22:30

The recent Rolling Stone magazine article noted the jam session was moved to December.

Date: December 3, 2011 22:43

nocomment
Gazza
mtaylor

No...it was an off the cuff comment by Keith in an interview relating to something else.

Ronnie's in Australia at the minute, so anything band related would have to wait

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-03 22:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 22:55

<<For Jagger, probably the least-nostalgic Stone, the looming anniversary has him reflecting on just how far the band has come. "It's a very different group than the one that played 50 years ago," he says. "When I think about it, one part of me goes, 'We're slightly cheating,' because it's not the same band – still the same name, but it's only Keith and myself that are the same people, I think. I've tried to find out when Charlie's first gig was [but can't]. But it's an amazing achievement. It's fantastic and I'm very proud of it.">>

Again, WTF is Jagger trying to say here? Whether he is being quoted or writing a song, it is constant prevarication.

Date: December 3, 2011 23:10

Gazza
nocomment
Gazza
mtaylor

No...it was an off the cuff comment by Keith in an interview relating to something else.

Hmmm off the cuff. The headline and lead paragraph in Rolling Stone mag,
over the years virtually a house organ for the Stones, the story then
picked up and headlined around the world, without any subsequent denial
or revision. Yep, see what you mean, obviously inadvertent...

Almost forgot: and then later off the cuff revised from Nov to December by
Keith in a different interview.

And the Taylor and Wyman headlines. Also inadvertent!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-03 23:21 by nocomment.

Date: December 4, 2011 01:02

nocomment
Gazza
nocomment
Gazza
mtaylor

The interview was primarily done to promote the Some Girls reissues. As is normal when any of them drop in any comment about future plans, THAT becomes the story, instead of what was the original focus of the interview. It was Rolling Stone (and others) who chose to make it a headline. He pretty much added the remarks about Taylor, Wyman and Jagger being 'invited' as an afterthought.

Not sure what you're trying to get at with the bit about him revising it from November to December. I dont think anyone's denying that this is likely to take place. The only point I'm making is that that bands (including this one) dont tend to make official statements after the event about a few of them having a meeting or a jam session.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-04 01:21 by Gazza.

Date: December 4, 2011 07:56

Gazza
nocomment
Gazza
nocomment
Gazza
mtaylor

The interview was primarily done to promote the Some Girls reissues. As is normal when any of them drop in any comment about future plans, THAT becomes the story, instead of what was the original focus of the interview. It was Rolling Stone (and others) who chose to make it a headline. He pretty much added the remarks about Taylor, Wyman and Jagger being 'invited' as an afterthought.

Not sure what you're trying to get at with the bit about him revising it from November to December. I dont think anyone's denying that this is likely to take place. The only point I'm making is that that bands (including this one) dont tend to make official statements after the event about a few of them having a meeting or a jam session.

We are getting at: It is ridiculous to think that Keith talking about all
this was not part of a planned publicity campaign.

We are not getting at: Anything with regard to whether or not there will
be further utilization of this "jam" meme in the future.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: December 4, 2011 07:57

according to a post on shidoobee, Keith is in london now.

OLDKR

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 4, 2011 11:09

Thanks oldkr

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 4, 2011 11:36

Gazza
The only point I'm making

Your point is very clear Gazza. Forget about those who don't want to get it.

-------------------

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: December 4, 2011 12:15

BIlls tour has just finished on Friday Mick Taylor is also in London so we here So thats 2 that are free now.
Maybee they put back the date so Bill would be free who knows.That would be a big gesture if thats the case.

Date: December 4, 2011 12:55

Highwire.uk
if thats the case.

... would be great

-------------------

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2011 13:50

I think Gazza's point is - like always - straight to the point. But what amazes the big mouth of Keith's. Like he didn't know the consequences of his words if he starts to speculate - or something to the effect - of the future of the Stones. He needs to know - namely I don't think he is an idiot - that that exactly is the thing that makes the headlines. By contrast, Jagger never seems to reveal anything like that, that is, he keeps his literally big mouth shut. In this sense, Jagger's "ethics" are stronger. He seem to take responsibility of the words he uses in a public sphere. If he is promoting, say, SuperHeavy, he is strict in not talking about anything of future Stones plans (or anything headline worthy). I have a bit mixed thoughts about Keith's tendency in 'talking too much'. If it comes 'naturally' or with some purpose. How much there is Jane Rose in it.

Another nasty consequence of Keith's 'free talk' is that there are folks that seem to believe every word 'honest' Keith says.

- Doxa

Date: December 4, 2011 14:16

Doxa
'talking too much'

-------------------

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2011 15:42

Rolling Hansie, I had that tune ringing in my head when I wrote the phrase...>grinning smiley<

My favourite with "Hate It When You Leave" in the album.

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home