Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 11, 2011 13:02

Are these their "five most commercial songs" as mentioned in the Singles Collection liner notes?

Posted by: thelantern ()
Date: October 11, 2011 16:25

Wow Matt! Now that is special. A vital piece in the jigsaw. Without that, there may not have been a whole lot else! I'm sure it would be one of the key exhibits in any Stones museum if there were ever to be such a thing (and I'm sure there will one day).

I take your point about the strange nature of rarities and collectibles etc. I suppose one man's treasure is another man's trash, to some extent at least. I would find it hard to get too excited about a third pressing Brazilian 'Rewind' but a first press of anything pre-Some Girls does interest me. Whether I would need examples from all over the world is another matter however. I suppose it's a case of where the "collector" or possibly the "completist" gene (and I think we all have a bit of it in us somewhere) really kicks in and the "rarity" element becomes secondary. As regards the internet killing the price of most "rare" vinyl, I suppose it's yet another example of the democratizing effect of the Web that we have heard so much about in recent times. It's a case of "access all areas all the time" for both buyers and sellers alike worldwide which can limit the opportunity of being in the right place at the right time to make a big value sale or pick up a true bargain........if any of that makes sense!??

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2011 16:36

Beggar's Banquet:

The (unboxed) DECCA Mono edition, possibly the most desired, vinyl in immaculate condition

and the Stereo edition, blue label also unboxed, but with the very rare 'patents pending' indicated in the bottom right corner.

Date: October 11, 2011 16:41

thelantern
Wow Matt! Now that is special. A vital piece in the jigsaw. Without that, there may not have been a whole lot else! I'm sure it would be one of the key exhibits in any Stones museum if there were ever to be such a thing (and I'm sure there will one day).

I take your point about the strange nature of rarities and collectibles etc. I suppose one man's treasure is another man's trash, to some extent at least. I would find it hard to get too excited about a third pressing Brazilian 'Rewind' but a first press of anything pre-Some Girls does interest me. Whether I would need examples from all over the world is another matter however. I suppose it's a case of where the "collector" or possibly the "completist" gene (and I think we all have a bit of it in us somewhere) really kicks in and the "rarity" element becomes secondary. As regards the internet killing the price of most "rare" vinyl, I suppose it's yet another example of the democratizing effect of the Web that we have heard so much about in recent times. It's a case of "access all areas all the time" for both buyers and sellers alike worldwide which can limit the opportunity of being in the right place at the right time to make a big value sale or pick up a true bargain........if any of that makes sense!??

Also agree with most of the comments here. For the 60s, in terms of commercial releases, the UK (unboxed) DECCA LPs are generally most desireable.

It sort of depends, as well, as to whether Stereo or Mono versions of said LPs are more desired. I think MONOs still carry the most 'value' in terms of resale, but with that said, pristine versions of say, Out of our Heads, or Beggars are highly prized, (unboxed DECCA blue label) given that so many fewer were actually pressed.

The earliest US Stereo pressing that I've come across and acquired is the unboxed blue London label of NOW, which I have a pristine copy. I think that is fairly rare...anyone know?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-11 16:52 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: thelantern ()
Date: October 11, 2011 17:12

Good stuff Treaclefingers. Highly desirable versions of one of the greatest Stones albums. The mono version of BB and the stereo version of Now, in their own way, add further fuel to the rarities and collectibles debate. They are unusual versions of widely available items. To some people that means nothing and, therefore, they are completely without any additional value (financial, emotional or whatever!). To others like myself, they are sources of endless wonder.......sad but true!

Date: October 11, 2011 23:32

FreeBird
Are these their "five most commercial songs" as mentioned in the Singles Collection liner notes?

Sorry, meant to ask this earlier...what exactly do you mean Freebird?

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 12, 2011 02:34

I was referring to mattleeuk's IBC acetate. Sadly my response ended up on the next page.

Date: October 12, 2011 08:30

FreeBird
I was referring to mattleeuk's IBC acetate. Sadly my response ended up on the next page.

Amazing acetate.

Date: October 12, 2011 08:32

I call this, Blue Blindman:

This one is London unboxed blue label, supaheavy slab of VG++(+) vinyl, really shiny, with the infamous 'blindman' quote from ALO.

It's reprocessed stereo, as I think most of the stereos would have been at that time.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 12, 2011 09:02

I've got Some Girls in the original artwork complete with lyric sheet and ORANGE VINYL.

Who wants it?

Also have 73' Live From Hawaii on Vinyl and STONES '78 Live At The Capital Theatre in N.J. called "OUT ON BAIL".

PECMAN

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 12, 2011 11:11

I have every NZ Decca roriginal first copy elease AND 3 copies of Unstoppable Stones first pressing (65 or '66 - New Zealand only) and 200 vinyl Boots from late 1970's & 1980s. Also every copy of their 45's released in NZ Decca and RSR till late 90's. A copy of every stones signature in the 80's ( include Bill) on an album, poster, and guitar too ,sadly not Brian.

Date: October 12, 2011 15:42

Pecman
I've got Some Girls in the original artwork complete with lyric sheet and ORANGE VINYL.

Who wants it?

Also have 73' Live From Hawaii on Vinyl and STONES '78 Live At The Capital Theatre in N.J. called "OUT ON BAIL".

PECMAN

That would be the Dutch release, correct?

Posted by: edith-grove ()
Date: October 13, 2011 14:15

Considering your question about rare vinyl: I have a copy of the very scarce single Brown Sugar/Get Off My Cloud on the Solid Rock Label. Matrix: SR 10A/B. Produced in 1971, as far as I am aware this was the first ever 7" vinyl Stones boot.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 14:34

treaclefingers
Pecman

Who wants it?

PECMAN

That would be the Dutch release, correct?

Yes !

Date: October 13, 2011 14:44

edith-grove
Considering your question about rare vinyl: I have a copy of the very scarce single Brown Sugar/Get Off My Cloud on the Solid Rock Label. Matrix: SR 10A/B. Produced in 1971, as far as I am aware this was the first ever 7" vinyl Stones boot.

Here 'tis

Date: October 13, 2011 15:06

That's the one :-)
Mine too has the centre punched out. Any idea of current value?

Date: October 13, 2011 15:13

To be honest , no .
They pop up occasionally on ebay ,
I would not pay more than $10.00 US for a copy , but that;s just a semi educated opinion .

Date: October 13, 2011 23:13

boston2006
To be honest , no .
They pop up occasionally on ebay ,
I would not pay more than $10.00 US for a copy , but that;s just a semi educated opinion .

I'll concur with that semi-educated opinion. As previously noted, rare may not be in every case, the same as 'desired' or 'valuable'.

Interesting curio though, and would rather have it than not!

Date: October 14, 2011 14:29

I've always liked my copy of Shades Of Orange. One of the more obscure mid 1970s vinyl boots? Nice bogus Decca labels.

Date: October 14, 2011 15:42

I'm not familiar with Shades Of Orange can you provide more information on it ?

Thanks

Date: October 14, 2011 16:17

Some of my ICGNS picture sleeve 45s

I have a few more I'll scan and post later !!

Date: October 14, 2011 16:29

boston2006
Some of my ICGNS picture sleeve 45s

I have a few more I'll scan and post later !!

Great job Boston! I feel like I just took a 'round the world trip!

Date: October 14, 2011 17:17

Date: October 14, 2011 17:35

I Don't Know Why / Try a Little Harder

Date: October 14, 2011 17:42

Rather rare promo PS
Front of sleeve

Rear of sleeve

Date: October 14, 2011 17:45

Dutch EP

Date: October 14, 2011 17:58

Here are some Canadian Issue colored vinyl 45s

Date: October 15, 2011 00:53

boston2006
Here are some Canadian Issue colored vinyl 45s

I know these go for a fair bit of dough...I haven't pulled the trigger yet, on any of these specific canadian coloured vinyls, although have been tempted.

I've spent much more time on the original UK, and US 45's with picture sleeves, and the promos for each. I've bought what I consider to be interesting other 45s from other countries, such as the Dutch Sympathy for the Devil with Veronica sleeve, or the Canadian Winning Ugly with PS (which I've posted here).

All good fun! You have a great collection!

Date: October 15, 2011 01:39

boston2006
Rather rare promo PS
Front of sleeve

Rear of sleeve

I've got two of these, and the picture disc 45 of the same.

Do you have the promo for "Time Waits for No one"?

Date: October 15, 2011 10:48

Yes , I've got that promo and sleeve also .

Seems as if we have quite the amassed collection between the two of us .

>grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home