Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 11, 2011 19:43

boston2006
I got a copy on the way ..

Nice!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2011 20:35

boston2006

Which one Boston, boxed or unboxed?

I'm not sure why I haven't bitten the bullet yet...the prices of these have come off a bit since the economy tanked, so now is probably the best time to pull the trigger.

What kind of condition did you buy it in? Ebay I suppose?

Date: December 12, 2011 05:32

Here is what I believe is the rarest version of Jumpin' Jack Flash, from 1991, an official release, originally released only at the IMAX shows.

JJF is taken from Flashpoint, and Tumbling Dice is taken from the movie. Purchased this on EBAY several years ago:

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 11:22

steffiestones
boston2006

Nice!

And a Merry Christmas to you !

Date: December 12, 2011 11:24

treaclefingers
boston2006

Which one Boston, boxed or unboxed?

I'm not sure why I haven't bitten the bullet yet...the prices of these have come off a bit since the economy tanked, so now is probably the best time to pull the trigger.

What kind of condition did you buy it in? Ebay I suppose?

Made a trade with steffiestones . It is a boxed mono copy .

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:33

treaclefingers

The only one I'm missing from the entire catalogue, is the MONO Let it Bleed, both boxed and unboxed DECCA.

Me need.
Theres been a few on Ebay lately. Got mine last month. Expensive. Looks great complete with poster but the audio which was labeled VG or EX is poor. Pops and noises.

Date: December 12, 2011 23:10

RobberBride
treaclefingers

The only one I'm missing from the entire catalogue, is the MONO Let it Bleed, both boxed and unboxed DECCA.

Me need.
Theres been a few on Ebay lately. Got mine last month. Expensive. Looks great complete with poster but the audio which was labeled VG or EX is poor. Pops and noises.

Did it come with the sticker on the front as well...ist it boxed or unboxed MONO?

I have a number of very cool copies of this, including 2 US with posters and stickers, a Canadian (stereo) with the sticker and poster, and 2 DECCA Stereos (Boxed and unboxed) the unboxed with the sticker.

I'm only really missing the UK mono's...it is the big gap in the collection.

Date: December 12, 2011 23:56

Treacle , Here's my copy I received today

The Cover w / sticker

The original inner sleeve

The vinyl and shot of rear cover showing it's mono

Thanks to steffiestones !!

Date: December 13, 2011 00:12

treaclefingers
RobberBride
treaclefingers

Me need.

Did it come with the sticker on the front as well...ist it boxed or unboxed MONO?

I have a number of very cool copies of this, including 2 US with posters and stickers, a Canadian (stereo) with the sticker and poster, and 2 DECCA Stereos (Boxed and unboxed) the unboxed with the sticker.

I'm only really missing the UK mono's...it is the big gap in the collection.

It was a unboxed mono with sticker, poster and mono innerbag. 1-A. Got it from the same guy JR got his mono "Have you seen...LIVE" last week. Nice looking LiB and shiny vinyl, except I hoped for an explosive mono sound since so many talked about that. But then it was so weak and somewhat noisy sounding. Went back to my new remastered LP for everyday listening (*sacre bleu*!).
Me for one, is looking for the more usual mono DECCA Beggars...
PS! Andria54 has an unboxed mono LiB on sale now but its ridiculously priced at 300 pounds (but it comes with a lot of stuff).

Date: December 13, 2011 00:36

What are those going for nowadays ?

Date: December 13, 2011 01:42

boston2006

What are those going for nowadays ?

I've definitely seen them upwards of $200, depending on condition. I have one BB in MONO, vinyl in unbelievable condition, bag is VG+.

I have two stereos with the open DECCA, one with the 'Patents Pending' listed on the back, which I understand makes it quite rare. Again the vinyl is spectacular.

I think part of the problem with not having acquired a copy of the MONO LIB is a. I'm cheap
b. I'm looking for a good quality copy

That probably means I'll be looking for quite awhile! That is part of the fun though, to not 'overpay' and get the stealdeal.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:55

I have two stereos with the open DECCA, one with the 'Patents Pending' listed on the back, which I understand makes it quite rare. Again the vinyl is spectacular.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have one of those , never heard about the Patents Pending thing '

Also have copies from
UK ( stereo and mono )
Japan
Mexico
Israel ( 2 ) on ( Pax Label ) label is misprinted on both sides it states Written by Nick Jagger and Keith Richard
Holland
Taiwan
Germany
Canada
Portugal
Greece
Afghanistan

and of course a US " No Wilkins Issue "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-13 02:02 by boston2006.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 13, 2011 01:57

Always wonder who bought those MONO releases back then, I can't remember seeing them in the record store and if I did for sure I wouldn't buy them stereo was In and Mono was Out in '69

Date: December 13, 2011 02:04

NICOS
Always wonder who bought those MONO releases back then, I can't remember seeing them in the record store and if I did for sure I wouldn't buy them stereo was In and Mono was Out in '69

I did the same .
Who the hell who want Mono when Stereo was available ?

Aah , we were so naive ..

Date: December 13, 2011 02:06

boston2006

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have one of those , never heard about the Patents Pending thing '

Also have copies from
UK ( stereo and mono )
Japan
Mexico
Israel ( 2 ) on ( Pax Label ) label is misprinted on both sides it states Written by Nick Jagger and Keith Richard
Holland
Taiwan
Germany
Canada
Portugal
Greece
Afghanistan

and of course a US " No Wilkins Issue "

I will try to dig up a photo of the patents pending....you have been very thorough in creating a true 'United Nations Rolling Stones Collection" and for that sir, I applaud you!

...it seems though, that I've found something you don't have...something for you to scour the internet for over the holidays!

Date: December 13, 2011 02:08

Treacle , I have a copy of Patents Pending , just never have heard they were rare .

I do not have a copy of the JJF ~ TD sleeve you posted earlier though .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-13 02:12 by boston2006.

Date: December 13, 2011 02:10

boston2006
Treacle , I have a copy of Patents Pending , just never have heard they were rare .

Damn! Should have known...thought you just meant you had the stereo.

I just found the photo, I had it posted earlier in this thread:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-13 02:11 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 13, 2011 02:57

TooTough
First UK LP with short Tell Me
First US Album ffrr (Made in England) with promo photo
Promotional Album US
Hot Rocks US w. different Sugar and Horses
German Beat Beat Beat 10"
All of the US 7" w. picture sleeves (except for SFM and BoB )
all UK 7", all German 7" and LPs

What do you think your complete collection of U.S. pic sleeves, minus SFM and BoB, is worth as a set offering?

Date: December 13, 2011 05:42

Carnaby
TooTough
First UK LP with short Tell Me
First US Album ffrr (Made in England) with promo photo
Promotional Album US
Hot Rocks US w. different Sugar and Horses
German Beat Beat Beat 10"
All of the US 7" w. picture sleeves (except for SFM and BoB )
all UK 7", all German 7" and LPs

What do you think your complete collection of U.S. pic sleeves, minus SFM and BoB, is worth as a set offering?

Most of the Picture Sleeves are really not worth all that much...the big US ones are Heart of Stone ($300-600 range) Dandelion/We Love You ($150-300), Not Fade Away ($100-250) Satisfaction ($75-200), then Tell Me, It's All Over Now and Time is on My side anywhere from $40-200.

After that, it sort of falls off a cliff, and most PS's from 60's under $30 including JJF, Get Off My Cloud, Paint it Black, HTW etc. I did see a She's a Rainbow with PS, go for $200 once, but I expect the buyer's didn't know what they were doing.

Winning Ugly just sold last week for $180+ on ebay...that is probably the most sought after latter day Stones release (excepting of course Beast of Burden). I also believe live and rereleases from 1989-91 time frame, including Paint it Black, JJF (original) and JJF live are worth $50-$120 range.

The Let's Spend the Night Together single from 1982 is worth over $150, as would be the Miss You/Too Tough single from 1984 (no picture sleeve).

Everything else is under $5-20 probably.

I may have missed a couple of important ones, but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 13, 2011 11:46

Hey guys. Just have a look on my stonesondecca page under Beggars Banquet and you will find pictures of all cover versions smiling smiley

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: December 13, 2011 17:14

Jan Richards
Hey guys. Just have a look on my stonesondecca page under Beggars Banquet and you will find pictures of all cover versions smiling smiley

[www.stonesondecca.com]

WOW!

That is incredibly detailed Jan...beautifully done, thanks very much.

Just confirming, the way you've ordered these is chronological, correct?

Is there a way of knowing, or narrowing down the date/year for each of the releases. ie, in version one of the DECCA MONO, presuming this is with the Patents Pending cover...how long was this printed before they moved to version two of the label, and how long was it before they removed the Patents Pending cover?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 14, 2011 00:19

treaclefingers
Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

WOW!

Is there a way of knowing, or narrowing down the date/year for each of the releases. ie, in version one of the DECCA MONO, presuming this is with the Patents Pending cover...how long was this printed before they moved to version two of the label, and how long was it before they removed the Patents Pending cover?

That is very hard to do. The thing is that Decca really did not pay attention to what label the put on the records at the time of manufacturing. They just checked that side 1 has a label with correct text and that side 2 also has the correct one. So many versions are existing of nonboxed labels on Beggars, so it is impossible to do it. All I can say is that I have nonboxed stereos with both the Patent Pending and without. this would indicate that the Patent Pending text did dissapare during 1969.
I have five stereos and four of them has Patent Pending. I have two Monos and none of them has Patent Pending. I'd say that the Patent Pending did during the first half of 1969.
Stereo AND mono LP's with nonboxed labels were in production until late 1969 or early 1970. No mono boxed labels have been found on Beggars

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: December 14, 2011 01:16

Jan Richards
treaclefingers
Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

WOW!

That is very hard to do. The thing is that Decca really did not pay attention to what label the put on the records at the time of manufacturing. They just checked that side 1 has a label with correct text and that side 2 also has the correct one. So many versions are existing of nonboxed labels on Beggars, so it is impossible to do it. All I can say is that I have nonboxed stereos with both the Patent Pending and without. this would indicate that the Patent Pending text did dissapare during 1969.
I have five stereos and four of them has Patent Pending. I have two Monos and none of them has Patent Pending. I'd say that the Patent Pending did during the first half of 1969.
Stereo AND mono LP's with nonboxed labels were in production until late 1969 or early 1970. No mono boxed labels have been found on Beggars

Thanks Jan...very interesting...I bet it would be quite a find to have a boxed MONO of Beggar's.

With respect to the Boxed MONO for Let It Bleed, that has to be considered quite rare. Do you know whether there were more or less of these printed than the MONO unboxed, prior DECCA dropping the mono pressings altogether?

Date: December 14, 2011 05:03

OK, I think every stones fan should have a copy of their first single, but the reason I wanted to show you this, is because of the little known tax code difference, that I only came across because of reading Felix Appeli's document some time ago...anyway, apparently the VERY first releases of 'Come On' were featured with the M/T tax code, printed on the right side of the single, as can be seen here:

Interesting, because this lasted for only a very brief period of time, weeks maybe, before they switched to the more normal K/T tax code (left side of the label)for the rest of the 60's for the other singles, as can be seen from this version:

I find these little clearly trivial bits of info very interesting...so, if you have the Come On 45, look to see what the tax code says....it's nice to own an earliest copy of their first official release anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 08:19 by treaclefingers.

Date: December 14, 2011 13:09

Now , hold on .... I've got one with a K/T and a ck above the tax code .What's that all about ?
Too much stuff to collect !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 13:10 by boston2006.

Date: December 14, 2011 13:11

And did you notice Jewel music has 2 different spellings ?

Date: December 14, 2011 15:19

Head over to the StonesVikings site Jan talks about (but the Vinyl collectors section - I dont think I´ve seen you there?), there is a lot talk about the M/T and K/T labels on the Come On single and early EPs. The M/T is the earliest one, as you say, the most sought after. Seems this is a reasonably recent discovery by some, thus the current vacuuming of Ebay after them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-14 15:38 by RobberBride.

Date: December 14, 2011 15:27

treaclefingers

Hey Treacle, I got this matrix from an Ebay´er today. Supposed to be a Decca UK 69 LiB stereo, SKL 5025. The matrixes are surely wrong in some way, so there is more of a fun detective job, hehe, but can you figure it out? I can not.

This is what I got:
zal 9363 70 e o1 i think , zal 9364 80 d1 i think , p

Its the Ebayers "I think" thats been added.

Date: December 14, 2011 16:46

boston2006
And did you notice Jewel music has 2 different spellings ?

Wow...hadn't even noticed that. I have 2 copies of the MT and 3 of the KT.

Only one of the KT's I have is spelled Jewell instead of Jewel. I hadn't even noticed there was that difference.

I would bet that was a spelling error, which they caught in subsequent editions, which if true, would make the MT the first edition, and the KT with the JEWELL spelling the second edition.

Very cool!

Thanks for catching that Boston.

Also, all the other KT's I have, have the tax code on the right side, as with my MT's. Only one, the one I happened to put in the photo in the previous post, has the tax code on the left side. I'm going to presume they fixed the spelling and moved the tax code over for the later pressings.

As far as the ck is concerned, not sure about that, but all mine including the MT have the letter S below the tax code. I don't have that ck.

This first single is trez interesting....motivates me to go back on ebay and look a little more!

Date: December 14, 2011 16:48

RobberBride
Head over to the StonesVikings site Jan talks about (but the Vinyl collectors section - I dont think I´ve seen you there?), there is a lot talk about the M/T and K/T labels on the Come On single and early EPs. The M/T is the earliest one, as you say, the most sought after. Seems this is a reasonably recent discovery by some, thus the current vacuuming of Ebay after them.

Thanks RobberBride...I will certainly go over there and do some exploring...Jan has posted on this thread about it so I've already had a peak...very thorough!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1806
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home