Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 63
Re: SuperHeavy
Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 20, 2011 20:28

Columnist Roger Friedman is claiming that SuperHeavy has sold just 33,000 copies - I'm assuming that's U.S. only sales:
[www.showbiz411.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 20, 2011 20:32

It's down to #178 this week in the U.S after 4 weeks (chart run 26-66-104-178) it sold 2,946 last week and 32,656 total.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 20, 2011 20:41

Thank you, George. People just don't buy music anymore, everyone's sales are paltry.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 20, 2011 20:41

A Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger collaboration, focusing on the music industry of the 1970s, has gained considerable momentum at HBO, and is one step closer to fruition.
With the help of filmmaker Martin Scorsese and Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter, rock-legend Mick Jagger may soon add television producer to his enviable list of accomplishments.
The project – which was conceived by Jagger – chronicles the late-1970s music world through the eyes of a drug-addled record executive, as rock, disco and the burgeoning hip-hop scene began to change the landscape of the industry – seemingly ready to embrace the encroaching ‘80s.
Jagger initially approached Disney and then Paramount with the concept as a feature film, before HBO colluded with Paramount to reconfigure the project into a television pilot. That was back in 2010 when the project was set to be titled History of Music, and focus on two friends’ 40-year relationship in the music industry.
After bringing Winter on to write the pilot’s script, it appears the original concept of the show has been scaled back considerably – from a multi-decade arc to a story more focused on the end of an era, and the birth of a new one.
Like the Emmy-winning collaboration of Scorsese and Winter on Boardwalk Empire, Winter will write and executive produce, while Scorsese will likely serve as executive producer and sit in the director’s chair for the pilot episode. Jagger, meanwhile, will also be an executive producer – while undoubtedly serving as an incredible resource of first-hand knowledge for Winter and the show’s other writers to utilize.

While Scorsese may be best known for his classic films like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas, or more recent favorites like The Departed, Shutter Island, and the upcoming Hugo, he’s also managed to craft some fantastic documentaries in between films – many of which, like the 2008 Rolling Stones concert documentary Shine a Light, No Direction Home: Bob Dylan in 2005, and his latest, the HBO doc, George Harrison: Living in the Material World, have focused on musicians and the music industry.
Despite the incredible wealth of knowledge on-hand for the program, HBO may be keen on the idea because, like the 1960s and Mad Men, music industry dramas are quickly becoming the show du jour – and it would be so unlike HBO to not be on the cusp of television trends.
In addition to the Scorsese/Jagger program, HBO is also looking at creating a series based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel A Visit From the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan, whose characters are involved in the music industry. Meanwhile, rival pay-cable network Showtime is readying its own 1970s-era recording industry series with Vinyl – which, unlike the HBO series, aims to take a multi-faceted look at the decade’s music scene by focusing on everything from record execs and stars, to drug pushers and prostitutes.

With both shows apparently shooting for exactly the same demographic, the winner might come down to which network can score the better licensing deals for the inevitably great soundtracks. With Jagger onboard at HBO, the network may not have to worry about being first out the gate.

[screenrant.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2011 21:04

Claire_M
Thank you, George. People just don't buy music anymore, everyone's sales are paltry.

that's just rationalizing I think...whereas sales are down generally for everyone, we're talking relative ranking here... had been in the top 10 for 4 weeks (where it should have been), the sales would be astronomical compared to the 30000 + they've sold to date. They are at 178 chart position in their 4th week. That is miserable. Hugh Laurie's album is selling like a bitch by comparison! House is bigger than Jagger?!?

Poor marketing, poor choice for first single (although I like the song).

Oh well.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 21, 2011 07:45

Ok, where is the best place to buy the Japanese version, w/ bonus track? Any advice? Can I go wrong w/ eBay?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 21, 2011 11:49

LeonidP
Ok, where is the best place to buy the Japanese version, w/ bonus track? Any advice? Can I go wrong w/ eBay?

cdjapan.com has a nice price : [www.cdjapan.co.jp]
But only one remaining.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 21, 2011 20:18

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 20:19 by proudmary.

Date: October 21, 2011 20:38

proudmary

[www.facebook.com]

Cool...Dave looks focussed in providing those autographs. I have a hat like that.

Date: October 21, 2011 20:39

Dave? I thought that was Keith Richards! Doesn't everyone mistake Dave for Keith in this thread?

Date: October 22, 2011 04:07

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Dave? I thought that was Keith Richards! Doesn't everyone mistake Dave for Keith in this thread?

By jove I think you're right! KR is moving in on some superheavy akshun!

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: October 22, 2011 21:11

superheavy $3.99 at amazon

[www.amazon.com]

this just makes what we think even more crazy, that this is but
superheavy chapter one.

this vid is from wembley stadium earlier this year. now imagine
this dude with jagger and rahman and joss BEHIND him (say, in 2013)...

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 23, 2011 03:55

It is very strange how good this CD is and nothing. I feel like I got this exclusive thing going on. I play this every day and I am really enjoying it. Also makes no sense as far as Deluxe vs regular version. The 4 songs should not have been shorted. If you have not bought this yet, spend the $2 extra and get that one.

I will not go off topic but the CD is readily available on these torrent sites and after typing in a couple of searches you can see why the Music industry is going down the toilet. SuperHeavy Regular, Deluxe, Japan, Miracle Worker remixes. Thousands of people, millions of songs and let's face it you can mask your IP and never pay for music again. You really have to wonder what the SuperHeavy and other artists sales could be if people couldn't download.

Date: October 23, 2011 05:37

nick
It is very strange how good this CD is and nothing. I feel like I got this exclusive thing going on. I play this every day and I am really enjoying it. Also makes no sense as far as Deluxe vs regular version. The 4 songs should not have been shorted. If you have not bought this yet, spend the $2 extra and get that one.

I will not go off topic but the CD is readily available on these torrent sites and after typing in a couple of searches you can see why the Music industry is going down the toilet. SuperHeavy Regular, Deluxe, Japan, Miracle Worker remixes. Thousands of people, millions of songs and let's face it you can mask your IP and never pay for music again. You really have to wonder what the SuperHeavy and other artists sales could be if people couldn't download.

I hear you brother...and I don't get it but it is...who cares. I'm thankful for this, last years' exile, this year's some girls, and anything else that is in the pipeline right now.

These are great times, from a content perspective!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 23, 2011 05:52

Has a second video for a second single been filmed?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 23, 2011 11:30

I must admit that after I bought it and played it once in my car, I haven't given it another thought in the following weeks...

Date: October 23, 2011 13:54

nick
It is very strange how good this CD is and nothing.

The theory has been out there since May that if this was perceived as a
Jagger-fronted vanity project, it would be a commercial disaster. But that
if it was perceived as a Damian-fronted band, it would be a big smash.

We now know the first half of that equation was true. We may or may not ever
get to see the second half tested, but think its still possible, after this 50th
nonsense is behind us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-23 14:19 by nocomment.

Date: October 23, 2011 16:41

The only way that is a possibility of what nocomment suggests is if there's a second SuperHeavy album without Jagger. The real trick there is considering how long this project took to get off the ground given the issues with Nokia and the UN charity track that never happened, what are the chances that A & M Records and Irving Azoff will give them a second shot after disappointing sales? Probably not that strong unless they go the indie route as Joss and Dave have done and look for a distributor.

On a personal and completely biased note, Damian's toasting is the weak link to me. I was very impressed with Joss and thought Damian and his band and Rahman together with Dave and Mick made a very good album, but every time Damian comes in I get the same feeling as I do on the Biz Markie sample on "Anybody Seen My Baby." It seems like the odd element that doesn't fit the mix.

Date: October 23, 2011 17:24

WilliamPatrickMaynard
The only way that is a possibility of what nocomment suggests is if there's a second SuperHeavy album without Jagger. The real trick there is considering how long this project took to get off the ground given the issues with Nokia and the UN charity track that never happened, what are the chances that A & M Records and Irving Azoff will give them a second shot after disappointing sales? Probably not that strong unless they go the indie route as Joss and Dave have done and look for a distributor.

On a personal and completely biased note, Damian's toasting is the weak link to me. I was very impressed with Joss and thought Damian and his band and Rahman together with Dave and Mick made a very good album, but every time Damian comes in I get the same feeling as I do on the Biz Markie sample on "Anybody Seen My Baby." It seems like the odd element that doesn't fit the mix.

I like the album very much, so I wouldn't even condemn Damian because for the most part, all the parts fit in quite nicely.

There are moments though, in some otherwise great songs, where all of a sudden out of left field, you'll get a totally unnecessary part by Damian or Mick, as if they've grafted them on after the song was already done, just to get some additional representation. Same for A.R.

Doesn't spoil the album for me though...this is an excellent album, that was not marketed well. What should have been a 'built in audience' for the group, ie A.R. (all of India), Joss, Damian and Mick (I'll give you Dave Stewart probably was not going to 'sell this'), never materialized.

And it isn't the material...this deserves some Doxanalysis.

Date: October 23, 2011 17:35

WilliamPatrickMaynard

Joss makes everything she's involved with better, is a great melodicist, but
otherwise has no vision or mission. Dave is a great chameleon musically and
conceptually, but again with the same kind of vague do-gooder outlook as Joss.
Plus of course, Dave just gets pushed around by Mick, so he falls down very
badly on that part of his Keith impersonation.

There are three visionaries in SH: AR Damian and Mick. By far the most
sophisticated is Mick, so it is not our suggestion that Damian or AR in any
way rival Mick in intellectual or existential prowess. This is why SH needs
Mick, because as sweet and inspiring as Damian and AR's combined "RastaSufi"
vision is, it needs to be smartened up and toughened up, and for that job,
Mick is the man.

While obviously we are in disagreement about Damian's overall contribution on
this first SH album, we too think there are moments when his potential is not
maximized, but that is TOTALLY the fault of the producers. On his own albums,
and in his own shows, Damian's is one of the most authoritative voices in
contemporary music. That Mick and Dave accidentally or on purpose sabotaged
that voice is just another one of those self-defeating things that make this
"project" unfathomable.

Even so, the only thing special about the SH album is AR meeting Damian and
his band uptown. If they and Joss had also shared the production chores,
then this album would have really been something. All those ridiculous Jagger
excesses would have been purged if somebody with at least as much balls as
Joss had been in the co-pilot's chair.

So, whether eventually realized or not, the first vision put forth for this
band on IORR is still the best. Damian's positive philosophies out front,
with Joss in joyful support, the other three making sure that the music
was always slamming and deep, with 70-year-old Mick still getting more than
enough time in the spotlight.

You look at that recent appearance at Wembley posted above. That's what the
people of the world want right now. That's what Damian has accomplished with
zero support from the media or music television.

Damian's no Mick, but Mick both needs a job and needs someone to pass the
baton to. And (grasping at straws) we think Mick knows all this and that
it is part of his plan for the near-future, all current appearances to the
contrary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-23 17:42 by nocomment.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:33

You would think that the fan bases of these 5 artists collectively would had produced larger sales even if the album did suck.

I couldn't really give a crap about the sales but they do effect as to whether there will be another CD.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 23, 2011 18:39

So, what songs are supposed to be good? I'll try to listen again

Date: October 23, 2011 19:35

nick
You would think that the fan bases of these 5 artists collectively would had produced larger sales even if the album did suck.

I couldn't really give a crap about the sales but they do effect as to whether there will be another CD.

For me, that is also the casualty...the follow-up album won't ever happen.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: October 23, 2011 20:08

nick

Mick´s fan base bashes the album without even listening to it. They WANT it to have poor sales. Strange. How is it doing in India?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 24, 2011 01:27

Harm
So, what songs are supposed to be good?

Common Ground

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 24, 2011 05:36

elunsi
How is it doing in India?

And everywhere else besides the US??? Perhaps the combined sales elsewhere can ensure a follow-up?

Date: October 24, 2011 06:15

SweetThing
elunsi
How is it doing in India?

And everywhere else besides the US??? Perhaps the combined sales elsewhere can ensure a follow-up?

What they need to do, if they want some sales, is an appearance on SNL, Jimmy Fallon and Letterman. And there is no way they wouldn't get on all those shows with one telephone call.

Showcase the new single and one of the ballads...this is a beautiful album, it just doesn't get any airplay because it doesn't fit a mainstream genre.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 07:29

I bought the album, paid money for it.

I wanted to like, wanted to love it. I want it to be successful regardless of how I feel about it.

But, I only came away with a cong or two I liked. I just don't think this is a whole album's worth of good or decent songs.

Lot of it seems, half finished or sketchy or just dull and uninteresting.

But I did like a couple.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 13:28

The Brazilian TV Show Fantástico had yesterday a Mick Jagger interview.

Watch: [stonesplanetbrazil.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 24, 2011 18:52

Mick interviewed in USA TODAY:[www.usatoday.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home