Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 63
Re: SuperHeavy
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:42

Hats off for a 68 year old rocker participating on this succesful project.
I wonder what would have happened if someone else had taken his place.

Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2011 21:53

DandelionPowderman
Listening to the album now. IMO, they should have released a single or an EP. This is getting boring...

I also listened the album once today, and I need to say that it is a bit too long, at least in trying to catch it by one listening... Of course, I spotted first just the Jagger contribution, which it had quite much actually - perhaps too much indeed (it sounds sometimes that it is Jagger and the backing band) - but I somehow started to miss more better melody hooks and song schemes. The 'jam' ideology it has, goes maybe too far.

Can't not really say more of Jagger's contribution yet. The first impression is that the guy simply tries too hard, and even though sounds like trying to break free from his usual cliches (including melody hooks), he just can't do it anymore (the results sound like 'tricks' if you know what I mean). I miss him being more naturally vital and relaxed (but I don't know if he really has an option anymore). Anyway, there are some interesting vocal reherseals ("One day, One Night", "I Don't Mind"), but let's see how the stuff starts to ring my head after few more listenings (though the first listening experience was such a demanding job that it takes some time to motivate one to do it again...)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-19 21:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 19, 2011 22:37

Rolling Hansie

I like Mr. Santana's lion mo betta. Want to see some cool lion shots and wild cat videos? Check out the filidae fund's web site. It is awesome and all for an excellent cause, saving the wild cats that these pop stars obviously value so much. Check it out at:

[felidaefund.org]

peace.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 19, 2011 22:54

Naturalust
proud mary, I hate to see it but YOU look like the SH plant that has been clogging up this Rock and Roll bulletin board with all this SuperHeavy crap. Please NO MORE NEW SH threads. All these meaningless press releases, I am offended , don't you have a real job? peace.

So you´ve been forced to 24 posts the last 3 days in the various SH threads to come to this conclusion ? eye rolling smiley

EDIT UPDATE Vol. 2 : 25 meanwhile,if I´m not wrong...26...ohhh it´s getting boring...

Date: September 19, 2011 23:01

Good points Doxa. I have now listened to it five or six times and sadly, my conclusions are that this album has few to no merits whatsoever. There is absolutely nothing new or interesting here. Jagger’s vocals are fine with me but his musical presence is everywhere and often detracts from the rather competent performances of the others. Jagger also seems to be the main composer. Most of the melodies are borrowed from Jagger’s past and seem to be much worse off. For me SUPERHEAVY is really the first Jagger effort, with or without the Stones, that I am truly disappointed in. There is not a single memorable moment in this album. I cannot say the same for any of Jagger's past efforts. SUPERHEAVY might be the first musical effort that Jagger has been involved that makes wonder whether Jagger's time has passed...

In recent interviews Jagger finally seemed self-assured and relaxed. In catching the previews of SUPERHEAVY, I was quite encouraged. Jagger and the others seemed laid back and relaxed. They seemed to enjoy each other’s company. From the clips, I sensed a "lightness" about the sessions that I had hoped would translate into the final album. “I Can't Take It No More” sounded great in the previews but the final album track is heavy-handed and has an arena rock vibe to it. "I Don't Mind" has Jagger deliberately trying too hard to be wistful and evocative but the lyrics are really shallow and sound like a teenager's first forced attempt at poetry.
The jam ideology seemed to work in the previews but editing jams into songs has removed what little authenticity there was to this assembly of musicians. There’s really no melange of styles but just a hodge podge of various genres and vocalists and often trying to force fit them onto a single song. Getting AR Rahman to be a part of this group was pretty "out there" from my perspective. I know his style and was curious to see how he would fit in. In the previews, I recall a "carnatic violin" bit that Rahman had infused into one of the songs. He has used it in the past in Bollywood to some interesting effects. It worked well in the jam session too and I was pleased that this group seemed to be actually blending quite surprisingly well. However, this does not appear on the album track. The mediocre Miracle Worker suddenly seems like one of the few redeeming features. I thought that Jagger howling away and emerging in a pink suit was a pretty gutsy move. I liked the confidence - I felt he had balls. I thought the track was alright and the album would have some hidden gems for sure. I thought the sheer bravado of Jager and Stewart and Stone and Marley would be enough to churn out some good songs if not cook up a storm. But the album is just extremely boring - almost dull.

In interviews, Jagger says that they weren’t sure whether this experiment would work at all and were ready to walk away from it all if it didn’t pan out. Jagger may have indeed been a bit reluctant (which is why this project perhaps took such a long time come to realization), but I’m pretty sure there was never any intention to walk out. I suspect that Jagger is intelligent enough to have known this - or was he having too much fun just hanging with people that he found easier to hang out with? And then, how do you get a group of big names into a room and after working for a bit, collectively admit that this project is not panning out as planned? This album should have been canned. SUPERHEAVY is really the first album that involves a member of the Rolling Stones, that truly saddens me.

I still expect a couple of live performances from SUPERHEAVY - perhaps SNL.... or something similar. I expect this group to do a better job with the songs when performing live. One could hope that if they do so, then they recapture the jam spirit.

Despite all of this, this album will do somewhat reasonably well in this era of declining album sales. All I can hope is that a somewhat favorable audience reaction for SUPERHEAVY doesn’t propel Jagger into doing more stuff with SUPERHEAVY

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 00:16 by wanderingspirit66.

Date: September 19, 2011 23:21

shortfatfanny
Naturalust
proud mary, I hate to see it but YOU look like the SH plant that has been clogging up this Rock and Roll bulletin board with all this SuperHeavy crap. Please NO MORE NEW SH threads. All these meaningless press releases, I am offended , don't you have a real job? peace.

So you´ve been forced to 24 posts the last 3 days in the various SH threads to come to this conclusion ? eye rolling smiley

EDIT UPDATE : 25 meanwhile,if I´m not wrong...

wow, you're right and such a SH thread expert, probably 27 or more by now.I will continue to post on this IORR site wherever and whenever the spirit moves me. Go make your own SH fan site and quit posting all these words by other people on IORR. It is getting old. We MIGHT be interested in what you have to say but stale and standard press clips about a lame world music band is pretty much a hijacking method and I just don't appreciate it. btw: Its hard NOT to post on a SH thread, they are clogging up my IORR searches. I would counter that all your wordy posts on SH threads make mine look like a single entry in the dictionary. Whateva. peace.

Date: September 19, 2011 23:34

Naturalust
shortfatfanny
Naturalust

wow, you're right and such a SH thread expert, probably 27 or more by now.I will continue to post on this IORR site wherever and whenever the spirit moves me. Go make your own SH fan site and quit posting all these words by other people on IORR. It is getting old. We MIGHT be interested in what you have to say but stale and standard press clips about a lame world music band is pretty much a hijacking method and I just don't appreciate it. btw: Its hard NOT to post on a SH thread, they are clogging up my IORR searches. I would counter that all your wordy posts on SH threads make mine look like a single entry in the dictionary. Whateva. peace.

Guess you´re mixing me up with proudmary,not that I mind,but I didn´t post a single press clip so far concerning
this topic...might be a nice idea.

Seriously I noticed such a drama because of this SH release when a few ones here almost collapsed about it.
Question who´s hijacking which thread is debatable,but to be honest,will lead nowhere,I think.

Just some respect will do it ,not only neccessarily adressed to you...

Date: September 19, 2011 23:37

shortfatfanny
Naturalust
shortfatfanny
Naturalust

Guess you´re mixing me up with proudmary,not that I mind,but I didn´t post a single press clip so far concerning
this topic...might be a nice idea.

Seriously I noticed such a drama because of this SH release when a few ones here almost collapsed about it.
Question who´s hijacking which thread is debatable,but to be honest,will lead nowhere,I think.

Just some respect will do it ,not only neccessarily adressed to you...

yep, sorry about the mix up , with respect. peace.

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: September 19, 2011 23:50

proudmary
nocomment
dontcha think, now that we're into like uh the fifth month or something of
SuperHeavy that uh maybe uh its time to change the title of this thread
to reflect the actual name of the band?

I edited it, thanks for pointing it out.
your welcome.

now, for a special treat, here's a review from somebody named "gazza" on
rocksoff:

Re: The SuperHeavy Thread
Reply #655 - Today at 2:55pm

Bought it today having previously only heard 2-3 songs in full and snippets of
most of the rest and I'm listening to it now.

Have to say my initial impressions that I'd like it still hold up. Musically,
its really good, and Joss Stone in particular shines throughout. Have never
really appreciated her before, but she has great pipes.

I had some misgivings about Mick's singing style and some of those are still
valid. There are some when he sounds really good however (he blends with Stone
really well - especially on songs like 'Energy', where his harmonica playing is
absolutely stellar), but I'd love to hear what the Mick of a few years ago could
do with this stuff. He can put 2011 vocals on 1978 recordings - pity he cant do
it the other way round. Still, its a minor quibble.

Will I still be regularly listening to this in 3 or 6 months time? Not sure, to
be honest, but hats off to him for challenging himself musically at this stage
in his career when the easy choice to make would be to put his feet up and do
nothing or just repeat himself over and over.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 19, 2011 23:51

Naturalust

Proud Mary is supposed to live in a country I know very well but "it" became silent when >I asked for details....areas....streets ...etc etc
What about you Mr Lust ...smoking smiley

Date: September 19, 2011 23:57

usa today, today (mick includes some personal advice, which
we appreciate):

Mick Jagger is busy promoting SuperHeavy, the multicultural supergroup he and
his longtime pal Dave Stewart have put together.

He's in no hurry to reclaim the record of highest-grossing tour, which the
Stones had held since 2007 after grossing $554 million for the band's A Bigger
Bang tour. This year, U2's 360 tour handily eclipsed that with a gross of $736
million.

"Records are made to be broken," Jagger says. "I'm sure maybe Beyoncé will break
that."

Lingering tensions between Jagger and bandmate Keith Richards, fueled in part by
the guitarist's unflattering cracks in his autobiography, Life, probably are
delaying any Stones projects. But Jagger feels no compunction to retaliate with
his own tell-all.

"The thing about writing books is you have to live through your whole life and
dredge up all this stuff," he says. "To my mind, it's rather a dull experience.
When people get to a certain age, they tend to live in the past. They get
ossified. 'I remember when' is how it usually starts.
'I remember when the
Internet didn't exist.' I think it's more fun to write fiction. At least it gets
your imagination going, instead of dredging up these ancient histories distorted
through the lens of years."

By the way, Jagger does remember life before the Internet, and it was less frivolous.

"I spend way too much time on the computer and not enough time playing the
guitar," he says. "There's an underlying problem of this screen life taking over
all of your life. It's easy to keep in touch with people, some of whom I wish
I'd never kept in touch with. But there they are on Facebook! You can spend a
lot of time on that when you should be doing something else."

Yes, he's on Twitter. But does he send those tweets himself?

"No!" he says. "But, really, who does?"

Date: September 19, 2011 23:57

SwayStones
Naturalust

Proud Mary is supposed to live in a country I know very well but "it" became silent when >I asked for details....areas....streets ...etc etc

what about me swaystones? I live in California, south of San Francisco, is that what you are after? I am a huge fan of the Rolling Stones. I play music for a living and farm vegetables. Not sure I'm gonna tell you where my ranch is but if you've driven from San Francisco to Santa Cruz, you've probably seen it. peace.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 19, 2011 23:59

SwayStones
Naturalust

Wow, you make a hell of a couplesmileys with beer

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 20, 2011 00:04

Naturalust
where my ranch is

WOW, you've got your own ranch ? That's what I call superheavy cool

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 20, 2011 00:13

Hey thank you, no comment - that's an interesting article from USA Today, esp. this bit:
guitar," he says. "There's an underlying problem of this screen life taking over

He's infinitely more accomplished, fascinating & successful than moi, so it's heartening that at least Mick & I have this much in common (plus, a love of ugly but sensible footwear). Hey, maybe he even visits iorr.org sometimes!

I wonder how the SuperHeavy record is doing sales-wise - anyone here know? I saw a commercial for it last night on tv, on VH1. I was watching "Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Camp" rather than playing my guitar; don't judge me.

Date: September 20, 2011 00:18

But there they are on Facebook! You can spend a
lot of time on that when you should be doing something else.

I wonder what name he uses on facebook because Mick Jagger FB is only PR page of his projects

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 20, 2011 00:27

.....cue dozens of IORR readers scuttling off to facebook, doing a 'search' and then spending the rest of the evening trying to figure out which 'Mick Jagger' (or any variation thereof) MAY be the man himself.....

I sense every one of these search results getting a few friend requests over the next few hours....

Date: September 20, 2011 00:28

proudmary

I wonder what name he uses on facebook because Mick Jagger FB is only PR page of his projects

Don´t give Brenda a try...

Date: September 20, 2011 00:31

shortfatfanny
proudmary

Don´t give Brenda a try...

winking smiley

Date: September 20, 2011 00:34

Meet SuperHeavy, Mick Jagger's Wild New Crew
Behind the scenes with the most unlikely supergroup of all time
By NEIL STRAUSS
SEPTEMBER 19, 2011 5:20 PM ET

Mick Jagger crosses his legs and closes his eggshell-thin eyelids. Then he squints so that his sockets almost disappear into the folds of his face. Eventually his crystalline-blue eyes pop open again and calmly, slowly, he responds to a simple question: Is there anything he feels he needs in his life these days? "No, not really," Jagger says. "There's nothing I need. I'm sure there are things that I would miss if they weren't there. But I think not."

So if Sir Mick Jagger, at 68, lacks or needs nothing, what then does this mean for the much-hoped-for Rolling Stones 50th-anniversary tour next summer? This answer Jagger doesn't have to think about. "Don't hold your breath," he says softly. (The ice may be breaking – in early September the band was photographed leaving a meeting in London.)

Instead, he says, moving his chair out of the path of the sunlight streaming into the window of his hotel suite in Los Angeles, he's found himself "writing loads of these 12-bar blues songs, so I'm looking forward to doing something more in that vein." He leans forward, scrunching himself even smaller on the chair. "But then last night, I wrote a song and went straight from my version of John Lee Hooker into writing sort of pop songs, so I don't really know."

That feeling of styles bleeding inevitably together defines SuperHeavy – the first new musical project Jagger has thrown himself into since the last Stones album-tour cycle in 2007. As much a glorified jam session as a supergroup, it features Jagger bringing the rock, Joss Stone belting R&B, Damian Marley filling in the spaces with reggae toasting, film composer A.R. Rahman (best known for ­scoring Slumdog Millionaire) adding Bollywood flair and former Eurythmics keyboardist Dave Stewart holding it all together.

That this unlikely crew recorded an album at all is a testament to Stewart, who also co-produced the record. SuperHeavy bubbled into Stewart's brain when he was in his house in the hills of Jamaica, above Saint Ann Parish, listening to three or four sound systems blasting at the same time, the music wafting into the air and blending together. He thought it might be interesting to attempt to intentionally do something similar, so he gave his old friend Jagger a call. (The band's name comes from Marley's improvised chanting on the song of the same name.)

Stone had worked with Jagger and Stewart on the soundtrack to the 2004 version of Alfie. "When I first sang with him, I was, like, 17," she recalls, sitting cross-legged on a couch in Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles, where most of the album was made earlier this year. "When he opened his mouth, I almost fell over. The power was like, oh, my goodness me. My volume at that age was not even half of his. So I thought, 'I want to do that. I want my power to be like that.'"

Now, seven years later, Stone walked into the studio with more of that power, and found herself butting heads with Jagger. "With all the records I've done, I literally like to sing whatever first comes into my head," she says. "So we would write lyrics together, and I'd be like, 'This is the line, great!' And he'd say, 'No, Joss, we've only been here for two seconds. Let's write maybe seven more and then pick one.'"

Jagger agrees that the loose sessions weren't initially fun. "We didn't really have anything prepared, which was very stupid," he says. But he eventually found himself enjoying the process of feeling his way through the interweaving sounds.

At a video shoot for the lead single, "Miracle Worker," Jagger, Stone and Stewart joke and bond between songs, while Marley and Rahman remain distant. "Obviously Joss and Dave and Mick have worked together before and know each other quite well in that sense," says Marley, who was pulled into SuperHeavy while recording with Nas in Henson Studios at the same time. "But I guess I'm just the quiet one."

Rahman, meanwhile, was still devastated from the death of someone close to him prior to the session, and confesses to being "intimidated in the first couple of days." "He's a film composer mainly and he does concerts, but he very much works on his own," Jagger says. "I think at the beginning he found it a little difficult to see how his contribution would be useful, but he got it."

At Weapons of Mass Entertainment, his office and studio on Hollywood Boulevard, Stewart plays a recording of him writing a song with Bob Dylan, then displays the lyrics to a tune he penned with Leonard Cohen. Jagger, Dylan, Cohen – three of rock's greatest artists, all known more for their reclusiveness than off-the-cuff collaborations. So how does the hyperkinetic, less-famous half of an Eighties synth-pop duo work his way in there? "I think I remind them of why it was that they started making music," Stewart says. "Partly because my enthusiasm is very childlike. I get all excited, and they get all excited." SuperHeavy is the first group Jagger has ever been a member of besides the Stones. "A band gets trapped," Jagger says. "When a band starts as a blues band, it always remains sort of true to that, though very quickly the Rolling Stones did pop music and country music and tried our hand at everything."

So is he going to continue to enjoy his newfound freedom with SuperHeavy? "If people are interested and they like it, we could do a few other things," he replies, referring to a small tour or festival dates. Then he laughs, knowing his friend too well, and adds, "Dave already wants to make a second SuperHeavy record."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: September 20, 2011 02:04

track talk: energy

(in the interests of full disclosure, we came into this album more
fans of damian than of the stones, so there were elements of
mick's naturally more rocking contribution that were somewhat
jarring. but we notice that as we keep listening, that rock thing
is seeming more integral. so while it has always seemed obvious
to us that a lot of rock people, because of this album, would become
more tolerant of beats, we are starting to think the opposite might
turn out to be true as well. which would be a good thing for rock in
general, because it is struggling so badly with young people,
and for the stones in particular, should they decide to mark their
50th with a bunch of shows.)

(our best shot at the lyrics, in the one hour we have allotted for the task: )

we've got the ingredients
to uplift your musical experience
and its no coincidence
that we're hosting events
and there're no incidents

this cultural one-stop shop
mix in quite just for your convenience
and the flow-out to implement
of a global influence, limited as it is

when the cameras flash and the cameras cash
it become the sweetest accidents
no favor, no license, so we drive an impression all over the continents
and the vibration that keep on purging us all like anti-oxidants
stand up, get up, jump up, get well, get more like a doer of dance

i said hey, i need your crazy energy
i said hey, i need your body chemistry, yes i do
i said hey, i warned them not to set me free
i said hey, why don't you give it up to me?

i got the evidence
gonna cast our case for the best defense
we got tradition by erudition
but we're not so afraid to experiment
rush enough new beats
from the west to the east
from new york down to surinam
so give it up. put me down and... hell! we'll overcome it.

i said hey, i need your wicked energy
why don't you give it up to me?

you belong to me

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 06:23 by nocomment.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: September 20, 2011 04:56

nocomment
usa today, today (mick includes some personal advice, which
we appreciate):

By the way, Jagger does remember life before the Internet, and it was less frivolous.

Yes, he's on Twitter. But does he send those tweets himself?

"No!" he says. "But, really, who does?"

Mick talking about his internet relationships is kind of funny, especially for him. He usually doesn't talk too personally with journalists. Wonder what the other side of that story is!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2011 05:25

To proudmary,

Thanks very much for promoting this Superheavy thread.

Very nice to have all this in one spot...I certainly have enjoyed it, and would not have gone to the trouble you have in searching all this out.

I know you've gotten some flack for it from other posters, and I'm glad your not letting it dampen your enthusiasm.

thank you! smileys with beer

Date: September 20, 2011 05:41

nocomment
i said hey, i warned them not to set me afraid

I believe the line is "I warned them not to set me free."

As an aside, NoComment, in the interest of full disclosure, since your identity and accomplishments as RevTwennyRevLights and variations thereof are well-documented here and elsewhere, is it really truthful to say you came to this project as a fan of Damian Marley rather than the Stones? I suspect you're having a bit of fun with the hysteria that someone might be a plant from the record company. As always, you're nothing if not entertaining.

Your ol' sparring partner,

Rocky

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 20, 2011 06:50

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Listening to the album now. IMO, they should have released a single or an EP. This is getting boring...

I also listened the album once today, and I need to say that it is a bit too long, at least in trying to catch it by one listening... Of course, I spotted first just the Jagger contribution, which it had quite much actually - perhaps too much indeed (it sounds sometimes that it is Jagger and the backing band) - but I somehow started to miss more better melody hooks and song schemes. The 'jam' ideology it has, goes maybe too far.

Can't not really say more of Jagger's contribution yet. The first impression is that the guy simply tries too hard, and even though sounds like trying to break free from his usual cliches (including melody hooks), he just can't do it anymore (the results sound like 'tricks' if you know what I mean). I miss him being more naturally vital and relaxed (but I don't know if he really has an option anymore). Anyway, there are some interesting vocal reherseals ("One day, One Night", "I Don't Mind"), but let's see how the stuff starts to ring my head after few more listenings (though the first listening experience was such a demanding job that it takes some time to motivate one to do it again...)

- Doxa

I finally listened to a track, "Never Gonna CHange" -
The song isn't bad, but I hate to say it, but the strangeld cat has reared its head once again....
I'll give it a few more listens, but...

Date: September 20, 2011 07:03

WilliamPatrickMaynard
nocomment
i said hey, i warned them not to set me afraid

I believe the line is "I warned them not to set me free."

much appreciate. that line was driving us nuts.

and yeah, we lifetime stones fanatics. we even put lennon and dylan and
such very much in their shadow. so career wise yeah, nobody touch jagger.
but in a dis here time, some 4 months ago now, when we hear damian's "distant
relatives" and earlier stuff, our world turn upside down, and damian is the
music we listen to and stones don't sound the same. so while everybody else
around here is getting introduced to damian via superheavy, it is the whole
truth we being re-introduced to the stones by stuff like this here one
"energy". but even yet still we getting a bigger kick out of mick jagger
doing damian's and AR's music than the other way around. or maybe its better
to say: during those passages when the music sounds like its both at the
same time completely damian's and AR's but is also based on dave's and
mick's citadel-like or maybe dancing-with-mister-d-like or something-like-
that guitars, we wig out completely. that is superheavy to us. that is the
new stuff we are junkies for.

blues rock was perfected and we think even invented in its true sense by
keith richards. we kinda just starting to accept the version of it superheavy
plays at times, especially last night for some reason. as we said for the
first time last night it started to sound integral. but now in the light of
day we again having doubts. we again leaning towards the feeling: leave blues
rock where it belongs, with the stones and the winos.

blues rock TINGES here there and everywhere, YEAH, but blues rock itself,
hmmmmmmmm, dunno...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-20 08:24 by nocomment.

Date: September 20, 2011 07:05

Mesa never hafta say sorry, Jar-Jar.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 20, 2011 07:08

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Mesa never hafta say sorry, Jar-Jar.
Hey Rocky. Can't you and Rev Bob go get your own room somewhere?eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: September 20, 2011 07:55

New York Post raves!

Jagger lifts ‘Heavy’ hitters

By DAN AQUILANTE

This all-star collaboration created a collection of brilliant songs in an
incredible stylistic mash-up of reggae-inflected pop-rock, with the group’s
vocalists taking the lead in round-robin vocal turns.

Jagger gives his best performance in more than a decade -- in or outside of the
Rolling Stones. He actually sounds “Sticky Fingers” dangerous and degenerate
again. This disc also gives Marley a proper platform to claim his father’s crown
as the king of reggae, and Joss Stone sings with pipes that sound like a young
Aretha Franklin.

Jagger and Marley dominate the vocals on the dozen-song disc, but even so the
record is never far from collaboration. The song “One Day One Night” is a great
example written by the entire ensemble. It opens with Jagger singing about being
in a “rotten cheap hotel with a stale old smell” drinking himself into a stupor.
He then yields the mike to Marley, who sings in clipped reggae vocals about the
personal hell of getting stuck in a dark room with “one spliff and an empty box
of matches.” Mick rocks, Damian skanks and Joss Stone caps the tune off with a
frenzy of feral soul.

If you’re looking for Jagger wearing his Rolling Stone colors that’s easiest to
hear on the song “Never Gonna Change” co-written with Stewart. It has the same
country rock ballad vibe as “Wild Horses.” The current single from the record
“Miracle Worker” is a gritty reggae piece, but even better is the bright ’n’
breezy reggae of “Beautiful People” that places Stone in lead vocal position
with Jagger and Marley testing their upper registers with backup.

This is the one, must-have, no-risk disc of 2011, even if it’s just to
hear Jagger sing a few lines of Rahman’s song “Satyameva Jayate” in Sanskrit.

Date: September 20, 2011 07:59

Rolling Stone raves!

4 stars rating out of 5

September 20, 2011

At this point, it would seem that Mick Jagger's only burden is having to be Mick
Jagger all the time. The terrifically fun SuperHeavy solves that problem.
Jagger passes frontman duties around like a spliff, with a spectacularly motley
crew: reggae royalty Damian Marley, son of Bob; New Wave survivor Dave Stewart;
also-ran U.K. soul diva Joss Stone; and Bollywood singer and composer A.R.
Rahman. Imagine an awards-show-scale revue on the floor of the U.N. General
Assembly with musical direction by M.I.A., and you've got some idea of the
glitzy craziness here. On "Satyameva Jayathe," Jagger and Rahman trade Hindi
verses over Celtic-Indian fiddle. On "Energy," a U2-style synth-pop jam with a
leadoff by Marley, Jagger raps – raps! – and sounds positively hot-wired. On
"One Day One Night," Jagger comes on like a broken hearted drunk in a Bukowski
novel, smearing vocal vibrato all over. If the songs sometimes feel a bit
undercooked, the spirit is dazzling. On "I Can’t Take It No More," Stone yells,
"Whatthe @#$%& is going on?" which pretty much sums the album up. That song –
where Jagger shouts, "I can’t fake it no more!"- may or may not be an answer to
Keith's shit-talking memoir. One thing's for sure: SuperHeavy is the wildest
thing he's ever done outside of the Stones.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home