Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 63
Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: September 15, 2011 17:10

Rolling Hansie
nocomment
We think after four days we're ready to give this album some kind of preliminary
review.

Who is "we" ?

no comment

Date: September 15, 2011 17:13

track talk: world keeps turning

(hey haters, this is the "we are the world" song you have been
waiting in ambush for. but it is not meant as an everyday song.
it is an elegy. it is meant to help when unspeakable tragedy
strikes. it is everything thats good about that beatles wall of
sound thing. and it is everything thats good about this chick
singer, who we think is some kinda laboratory-created morph
between dusty springfield and tina turner. she is unreal.)

now its, now its, now its...
word!
hey
nice to be important but important to be nice
so just stare that at i

tell me love, what would you say?
if i came to you on judgement day
and i laid out my life
how did i do for your love?
was i a lover?
or did i choose to fight?
did i embrace my brother, no color, no stripes?

while the world keeps turning
and life goes on
and the fires keep on burning
let your heart stay strong

long live the world
how do you feel?
watching our babies die just for dollar signs
this is real!
we can hear you all
your opinions are true
there's only one thing left to do.
speak. we'll hear you.
speak. we'll hear you.
loud and proud

while the world keeps on turning
and life goes on
and the fires keep burning

now tell me love
how should we feel?
so your speech be nice in such harsh times
the human race gets bold
so send out some life now
its true today we lie
so send them some smiles
send them some smiles

while the world keeps turning
and life goes on
and the fires keep burning
(and the morning will still be ours)
stay strong

Date: September 15, 2011 17:40

I detest "We Are the World," but thought this sounded rather nice. Just sorry it isn't the last track on the Deluxe Edition. A better album closer than "Hey, Captain" for sure.

Date: September 15, 2011 17:52

Translation from L'Unita via Rocksoff:

This is a game for you ...

"No, it's serious, but fun. See, there's nothing to lose, this isn't a project
for life. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work. I don't know how
long it will last, that depends on how people accept it. I won't be upset if
they don't like it. But I had fun doing new things, like singing in Sanskrit, or
trying to imitate Marley in doing "toasting". My favorite piece is "I Don't
Mind", a very sweet song and very English in mood, despite the reggae rhythm.
It's like "As Tears Go By".

The stated purpose of SuperHeavy is to go beyond the known genres. Could you explain?

"It's good that people start thinking outside of categories. Music has always
been categorized into what I call "cages for birds," not a new problem to be
honest. I-tunes is a great deal of cages... Here's an example. You get an email
from the Grammy organization: If you want your record to be eligible, complete
this document within the next week, checking the genre box of the album. The
thing with the Grammys is that they expect you to indicate the category they
want or you're out."

Do you listen to a lot of music?

"Yes, what's out there. There are times I'll listen to more "easy" things and
other times I'll throw on classical music. Then I'll go to hard rock, then I'll
want to know everything about new releases, and I'll dive back into great blues
rock. "

Why haven't you written an autobiography? After the great success of Richards it's your turn...

"Well, I think it's self-destructive to stir up the past. I consider it
dangerous for your psyche, especially if it was a difficult past. In short, if
you had a hard life, looking back on it is destabilizing. Or you could think 'Oh
well, I had an easy life...' "

Did you like Keith's?

"I haven't read it! Have you? Did you like it? I don't know...I think it's a
dramatic thing to relive."

There are hopes for a fiftieth anniversary tour with the band?

"That's a topic I don't want to discuss."

If the album's a great success will there be a tour?

"Oh no! I can imagine individual performances, festivals. Each of us is very busy."

After 50 years with the Rolling Stones has the SuperHeavy project made you feel younger?

"No! (Laughs). It's a fun project, but not a band for the rest of my life."

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 15, 2011 19:19

SuperHeavy: SuperHeavy – review
Alert! Alert! Mick Jagger has gone reggae again. Incredibly, it could have been a lot worse, says Alexis Petridis
Alexis Petridis
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 15 September 2011 15.29 BST

"You can understand the appeal of SuperHeavy for its participants" … Dave Stewart, Damian Marley, Joss Stone, Mick Jagger and AR Rahman.
Over on the SuperHeavy website, there is a short video of the freshly minted supergroup in the studio. It opens not with their most celebrated member, Mick Jagger, but the youngest, Joss Stone. "Aaaah-yeeeeeaaaah-a-hey-a-YAY," she sings, as is her wont. "What the @#$%& is going on?"
The listener might be forgiven for asking the same thing when confronted with SuperHeavy, whose baffling lineup features not only Jagger and Stone, but former Eurythmic Dave Stewart, Bollywood composer AR Rahman and Damian "Jr Gong" Marley. On the band's debut single, Miracle Worker, the latter seems as bewildered as Stone by the turn his career's taken. "I bet you never would believe that you'd 'ear Damian Marley, Dave Stewart, AR Rahman, Mick Jagger and Joss Stone in a rub-a-dub version!" he cries at the song's conclusion. "Imagine! I mean, think about it!" A cruel voice might add: And then try not to wince when you do.

The song's really not that bad, in fact – pop-reggae brightened by an agreeably preposterous Jagger performance, so OTT you can hear the spittle flying from his lips – and the intention behind SuperHeavy sounds intriguing. Now a resident of Jamaica, Stewart apparently imagined what noise the island's sound systems would make if mixed with Indian orchestras and immediately called the Rolling Stones frontman. Not, it has to be said, the first name that springs to mind when you think of Jamaican sound systems or Bollywood strings, but who knows how things work in the rarefied world of rock royalty? In any case, the descriptions of what emerged from SuperHeavy's star-studded recording sessions are more intriguing still. There has been talk of hour-long tracks and vocals in Urdu, leavened slightly by Jagger's reassurances: "It's not all weird and strange".

The song in Urdu is still there – it's called Satyameva Jayate and starts out rather beautifully, with Rahman singing over hiccupping dancehall beats before, alas, descending into the profoundly unlovely sound of stadium rock decorated with Irish fiddle. But the hour-long jams have been edited down into manageable chunks of reggae-inflected pop-rock, with turn-taking vocals. To his credit, Jagger doesn't entirely dominate proceedings, although it's worth noting that – as when he provided backing vocals on Carly Simon's You're So Vain – you're somehow always very aware Mick Jagger is in the room even when he's allowing others the limelight. At its best, when Rahman's string arrangements collide with the rhythms provided by Marley's backing band, you can just make out the ghost of Stewart's original concept for the project. Unbelievable settles on a beat somewhere between Kingston and Mumbai, Stone's blank-eyed backing vocals an intriguing foil to Jagger's relentless hamming: long-term fans will furthermore be heartened that he's finally discovered a way of singing reggae that doesn't involve lapsing into the here-come-de-Lilt-man voice found on the Stones' 70s excursions into the genre.

The eponymous opener, with Marley at the helm, is pretty exciting, even if it does rather overplay its own wonderfulness. "We're gonna rock yo'selves and take no prisoners, you've got no choice and it's none of your business," sings Stone, rather inviting the response: You think so?

At its least enjoyable, however, you're struck – not for the first time in Jagger's extracurricular oeuvre – by a sense of star-studded pointlessness. This usually happens during the ballads, which are a dead loss – how can so much undoubted talent contrive to come up with something as boring as Never Gonna Change? – although the joyless, leaden rock of I Can't Take It No More is no picnic either. Worse, on Energy, you're struck by the sound of Mick Jagger rapping, a sound you fear will haunt you to the grave.

Still, you can understand the appeal of SuperHeavy for its participants, particularly Jagger, who's been trying to establish himself in a context outside of the Rolling Stones since starring in Performance in 1968. Furthermore, it offers as added inducement the unmissable opportunity to infuriate Keith Richards, who recently broke off from telling anyone who'd listen that Jagger has a small penis to suggest the Stones should regroup to celebrate their 50th anniversary: "I'm just, you know, doing this right now," said Jagger when asked about the possibility.

It's should perhaps be remembered that the last time he decided to ignore Richards' demands for a Stones tour and team up with Dave Stewart instead, theresult was the wretched 1987 single Let's Work, a record that – with its perky 80s pop beat and the-world-don't-owe-you lyrics – sounded like an aerobic workout class presided over by Norman Tebbit. Nothing on SuperHeavy is anything like as bad as that. Whether anything on it is sufficiently good to raise his songwriting partner's ire – or even to hold the listener's interest once the novelty of the band's lineup has passed – is quite another matter.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 15, 2011 21:43

Here you can listen to some samples again
and you can get some more Mick - Dave - Damian - Joss -Interviews

[artists.universal-music.de]

Enjoy!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 15, 2011 22:59

that Guardian review is quite funny - Worse, on Energy, you're struck by the sound of Mick Jagger rapping, a sound you fear will haunt you to the grave - grinning smiley

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: September 15, 2011 23:17

Gazza
that Guardian review is quite funny - Worse, on Energy, you're struck by the sound of Mick Jagger rapping, a sound you fear will haunt you to the grave - grinning smiley

It was a funny review but is it worrying that I find that one of the more enjoyable songs on the album...?

Date: September 15, 2011 23:46

Interview with Mick Jagger

Many interviews these days about SuperHeavy.
On our website www.fortylicksfanclub.nl you can find another one.
Every day another part of the interview.Tomorrow the last part.
Look on our Dutch or English page. With thanks to Universal Music.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 16, 2011 00:06

I Can't Take It No More is very pedestrian, very ordinary, very generic. It's just there.

Date: September 16, 2011 01:06

SoulPlunderer
Gazza

It was a funny review but is it worrying that I find that one of the more enjoyable songs on the album...?

So do I.And Never Gonna Change is one of my fav. on the album.
In addition, Jagger was rapping since the 78th - but surely Petrides does not know it.
Funny dunno but surprising no doubt - Jagger's penis has become an integral part of the review of his musical contribution.

Date: September 16, 2011 02:20

Jagger, Joss and Co really pack a punch
Verdict: Jagger and company pull their weight
Rating: 4/5
The idea of five mega-rich superstars teaming up to make an album of rock, reggae, soul and Indian rhythms sounds like a recipe for musical disaster.
Throw in the fact that some recordings were made on board a luxury yacht tootling around the Mediterranean and you’d bet your bottom dollar on the whole project turning out to be a self-indulgent mess.
And yet, despite being the year’s most extravagant side-project, the first album by SuperHeavy - a ‘mad, alchemist-type experiment’ launched by Rolling Stone Mick Jagger and Eurythmics founder Dave Stewart - succeeds, thanks largely to the lack of ego displayed by those involved.

The idea of the supergroup is hardly new. But SuperHeavy take things further than the likes of Eric Clapton’s Cream, giving equal billing to talented artists from a series of seemingly incompatible genres.
Joining co-producers Jagger and Stewart are Devon soul diva Joss Stone, Indian film composer A.?R. Rahman and reggae singer Damian Marley, the youngest son of icon Bob Marley.
It could have turned into a series of disorderly jams. But, give or take the odd track, it works, even if the band’s intoxicating rhythms occasionally take precedence over memorable tunes.
According to Jagger, SuperHeavy embarked on the recording with no preconceptions. ‘Dave wanted to make a record with as many genres as would fit,’ he says.
‘It sounded like a good idea, but I never thought it would happen. We didn’t know if it would be any good, but we hoped we’d have fun. Then, as soon as we started playing together, it gelled.’

In terms of creating a coherent sound, Marley is the key. Jagger and Stewart have worked with reggae singers before, and six of the 12 new songs here have strong reggae leanings.
With Marley’s rhythm section providing a lilting bedrock throughout, tracks such as Miracle Worker and Beautiful People are upbeat and accessible.
Stones fans will be eager to hear more familiar reference points, and Jagger - although he emerges as a team player - rekindles old glories on One Day One Night (a bluesy monologue) and Never Gonna Change (a ballad with a passing resemblance to You Can’t Always Get What You Want).
Given the uncertainty surrounding the Stones in the aftermath of Keith Richards’ candid autobiography, the change of scenery seems to have done Old Rubber Lips the world of good: he pulls out all the stops on the Stonesy rocker I Can’t Take It No More.
With all five musicians rotating lead roles, Joss Stone - at 24, the youngest member - could easily have been intimidated.
But the singer, whose career has been a stop-start affair since she burst on to the scene as a 16-year-old, rises to the occasion.
Best known for her soulful phrasing, she shows versatility by mutating into an irresistible reggae princess on Miracle Worker and dueting confidently with Jagger on I Don’t Mind.
With Stewart playing plenty of guitar, the only member whose presence is under-utilised is Oscar-winning composer Rahman.
His role revolves around building an eerie musical mood on pieces such as the title track, which opens the album by showcasing each member’s abilities.
As such, it is one of the strongest tracks here: Stewart’s reverb-soaked guitars blend seamlessly with Rahman’s Eastern-tinged atmospherics to provide a chugging, mid-tempo backdrop for Stone, Marley and Jagger’s familiar drawl.
An unorthodox mix, yes. But, in this instance, a heavyweight combination that delivers a knockout blow.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 02:22 by proudmary.

Re: Super Heavy
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 16, 2011 02:42

spsimmons
Would rather have solo Jagger than this. .

Yes Yes Yes, truly solo, no band. Now were talkin! peace.

Date: September 16, 2011 07:02

teaser for a 2nd official video for satyameva...

this is so everybody can practice for the singalong part of their shows...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 16, 2011 07:08

DragonSky
I Can't Take It No More is very pedestrian, very ordinary, very generic. It's just there.

I find it the weakest track overall. Chorus isn't bad. Mick's vocal during the verses are very laboured.

Too bad, from the early snippets I thought this was going to be my favourite track.

I really do like this album overall though.

Date: September 16, 2011 07:51

German TV footage. The German translator mostly drowns out Mick but you
can still pick up a few bits. And Mick sure does look great both in the current
and historical footage...

[www.zdf.de]

Date: September 16, 2011 09:10

A Little Rock ’N’ Roll at L'Wren Scott Show
WWD Issue 09/16/2011

L’Wren Scott had a surprise up her sleeve on Thursday with an exclusive sampling of
boyfriend Mick Jagger’s newest work. Scott’s runway music featured “One Day One
Night” and “Energy” — two never-been-heard tracks from Jagger’s new band,
SuperHeavy. Those in the audience who liked what they heard will have to wait a few
days to download the tunes though. The album won’t be released until next week.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 16, 2011 09:18

2 1 2 0

Date: September 16, 2011 09:23

Excerpts from Dave Stewart article in the Melbourne paper today:

His long musical journey is laid bare in several songs, including first opening
his big brother's guitar case as a lonely kid, the Mississippi John Hurt record
his cousin sent from Memphis and his youthful obsession with the Rolling Stones.

The latter is surreal in the light of another of Stewart's projects, to be
released this month. SuperHeavy is a supergroup made up of Joss Stone, Damian
Marley, Indian soundtrack maestro A.H. Rahman - and one Mick Jagger. ''I've
known [Jagger] for about 30 years,'' Stewart says. ''I've been all around the
world with him, written loads of songs without any rhyme nor reason, just for
fun.

''We've probably got 20 or 30 songs that we've kicked around in jam sessions. So
now that I'm in a band with him, it doesn't feel too weird, if you know what I
mean.''

Hmm, not really. Nor would most regular folks deem it the norm to have a lazy
co-write with Bob Dylan up your sleeve. Worth the Waiting For is one Stewart and
Dylan prepared earlier, now on record.

''I've been knocking around with him since about 1984,'' Stewart says. ''We've
ended up with huge chunks of time - like when the Travelling Wilburys formed in
my back garden.

''Before that, I'd already been shooting films with Bob, going on holidays … I
introduced Bob to the idea of having Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as his
[late-'80s] band.

''That song was born around my kitchen table. We were playing back this jam
session we had on a ghetto blaster and singing over the top of it while drinking
margaritas.''

Read more: [www.theage.com.au]

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:01

Review in NRC Handelsblad (Dutch paper) by Jan Vollaard, 2 dots out of 5

(In my opinion Vollaard took the easy road, writing this review, kicking in the open doors.
The translation from Dutch to English is mine.
)

NRC Handelsblad
A new pet project of Mick Jagger, means that the Rolling Stones certainly will be non-active for one year.
There are rumors that Super Heavy is his revenge on Keith Richards, who made revelations
in his biography Life that displeased the Stones singer.
Artistic gravity can not be denied of this super group with Damien Marley's reggae feeling,
the hi-tech production by Dave Stewart and the oriental contribution of film composer AR Rahman.
Add the in and out of season emerging voice of testosterone Jagger to it and a child with a
hydrocephalus was born.
Problem is that every step towards authenticity is immediately killed by pursuing an artificial
cross-over of world music from all directions, stowed in an electronic straightjacket.
The most forced example is Satyameva jayathe on which Marley exhibits his dancehall
capabilities to Indian electro-pop and Jagger sings in Sanskrit.
Joss Stone leans on Jagger with energetic vocals. But nowhere it becomes more than the sum of the laboriously assembled parts.

Original, dutch text:
Een nieuw hobbyproject van Mick
Jagger betekent dat de Rolling Stones zeker voor een jaar op non actief
zijn gezet. Er wordt gefluisterd dat
SuperHeavy zijn wraak is op Keith Richards, die in de biografie Life onthullingen deed die de Stoneszanger onwelgevallig zijn. Artistieke zwaarte
kan deze supergroep niet ontzegd
worden met het reggaegevoel van
Damien Marley, de hi-techproductie
van Dave Stewart en de oosterse inbreng van filmcomponist AR Rahman. Voeg daar de te pas en te onpas
opduikende testosteronzang van
Jagger aan toe en een kind met een
waterhoofd is geboren. Probleem is
dat elke aanzet tot authenticiteit onmiddellijk de nek wordt omgedraaid
door de gekunstelde cross-over die
op het album wordt nagestreefd, als
wereldmuziek uit alle windrichtingen
die in een elektronisch keurslijf wordt
gestuwd. Het meest krampachtig gebeurt dat in Satyameva jayathe waarin
Marley zijn dancehallkunsten vertoont op Indiase elektropop en Jagger in het Sanskriet zingt. Joss Stone
trekt zich op aan Jagger met energieke zang. Maar nergens wordt het
meer dan de som der moeizaam bijeengesprokkelde delen.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 11:47 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:06

nocomment
everybody can practice for the singalong

Thank you. I love karaoke

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:32

The album is not as bad as I thought, it features some decent tracks. Even if I dislike some tracks it is clear that Jagger is in great shape at 68.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 16, 2011 11:35

Never gonna change review apart, i find Guardian's writer's review quite nailed

Date: September 16, 2011 11:54

Do I even dare to ask: Who likes this kind of music that Super Heavy is doin?

I'm not...

thumbs down

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 16, 2011 12:17

Come On
Who likes this kind of music that Super Heavy is doin?

Yep, I do

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: September 16, 2011 12:45

Rolling Hansie
Come On

Yep, I do

me too thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: September 16, 2011 13:34

HighwireC
Rolling Hansie
Come On

Yep, I do

me too

reggaeville dot com, the "world of reggae in one village" does as well

(brace yourself. omg. an intelligent review)

excerpts:

SuperHeavy, as the group is called, sounded like a good game of fantasy football
(only with music, of course), imagined in the heads of some bored European music-
loving millionaires living in Jamaica. What other mainstream-accepted music
legend other than reggae-loving Mick Jagger would absolutely have wanted Damian
Marley to be part of such a team? (Yeah, Keith Richards maybe.)
Together, the
members of SuperHeavy had won no less than eleven Grammys.

Their aim was to combine as many different musical backgrounds and genres as
possible in this project. Why they wanted Jamaican influences? “We’d always
wanted a Jamaican musician because Mick and I are crazy about Jamaica and
Jamaican music”, explains Stewart. Damian was a great choice. His last album
Distant Relatives was already a perfect blend of genres, and he brought his
stunning, grooving riddim section
, including Shiah Coore on bass, the son of
Third World‘s Cat Coore.

So how turned out SuperHeavy‘s first album? Let me say this first: they
evidently managed to work together instead of against each other. SuperHeavy
sounds like a modern, highly innovative, yet experienced and exceptionally
well-concerted band.
A huge surprise if you consider their very different
musical backgrounds! Every genre one of SuperHeavy‘s members is familiar with is
represented in the recording, to varying degrees. Reggae is a main ingredient.
While most tunes do not have an offbeat, the basslines and the beat often cry
reggae. Another main ingredient is bluesy rock music. It is just impossible to
ever forget here that the Rolling Stone‘s lead singer initiated the project.
Mick employs the very singing style he got famous for, while Damian really adds
a nice Jamaican topping. The most interesting spice added comes from A.R.
Rahman. If you are not into more recent music from India and Arabic countries,
you might have no idea how well these influences can go together with African
and European styles. You certainly do not have to be a fan of Arabic-Indian
harmonies to appreciate his contributions. Rahman also sings lead in Satyameva
Jayathe and Mahiya (only on the deluxe ddition of SuperHeavy). Joss Stone adds
another nice, souly touch on vocals. Too many cooks spoil the broth, so they say
- in this case, the exceptional but very different voices of the four singers
complement one another very well. Same for the music - all those genres in a
single album mean that the sound is far from being minimalistic, yet not a
single tune sounds overloaded or constrained. SuperHeavy are miracle workers,
trust me.

Beautiful People is a good example for the uplifting, positive lyrics found on
this unique album. Not only the exceptionally gifted lyricist GongZilla shines
in that matter, everyone does.

In better western record stores, you always find music sold as world music, a
label to categorize whatever music does not fit into existing categories. What
SuperHeavy have achieved with their first album is the creation of true world
music. Music that sounds in a way familiar to anyone in Jamaica, in the UK, the
US, in India or wherever, while still offering many exciting, “new” elements to
discover. This album is mandatory for any music lover
, especially for those
already fully globalized.

[www.reggaeville.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-16 13:36 by nocomment.

Date: September 16, 2011 14:23

HighwireC
Here you can listen to some samples again
and you can get some more Mick - Dave - Damian - Joss -Interviews

[artists.universal-music.de]

sorry to say it's horrible...reminds me of Eddy Grants 80ies-production...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:34

Just recieved a news letter from Universal Music Nederland by email.
It says that it is a Jagger solo project:

SuperHeavy Album
De single Miracle Worker is al weken te horen op radio en nu duurt het niet lang meer voor de fans meer kunnen horen van SuperHeavy! Het solo project van Mick Jagger brengt vandaag, vrijdag 16 september, haar self-titled debuutalbum uit. Het album zal uitkomen als een standaard album met 12 tracks, een limited deluxe album versie met 4 extra bonus tracks, een deluxe verpakking en andere artwork én een vinyl versie.

(Translation)
It says the the single MW can be heared on the radio for weeks.
That there will be an standard CD with 12 tracks and an deluxe version with 4 bonus tracks. And a vinyl version.

Does anybody know the price of the deluxe version in Euros and in Holland?

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 16, 2011 15:35

I bought it for "never gonna change". The rest is not as bad as expected, some good bits and pieces, but wouldn't play it more than twice.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home