Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 63
Re: Super Heavy with Mick Jagger
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 17, 2011 12:47

Another thing I need to say to all teh antiSuperHeavy-folks here is that I think those people seem to think that there is still another great rock and roll album, or another huge rock and roll tour, in the veins of Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie to come, and projects like SuperHeavy stand in a way for that (I think LIFE has more standing a way, actually, even though I think the real reasons have nothing to with these kind of public products). But that is basically "let's hope there is"-talk. The reality might be that there is none. If we look what they did the last time (7 to 5 yaers ago): very uninpired half-baked album that seemed to bore the very makers of it to death (If we look how they treat its creation and its use in live shows). Besides many of their performances, sarting from the main guitarist, were very, very shakey... If the reality is that Mick doesn't really 'click' creativily with Keith anymore, or Keith is totally out of new ideas, and Stones-kind of music does not inspire Mick any longer, plus their performance skills have degenerated quite dramatically within the last ten years or so, how realistic is to wait desperately another great Rolling Stones year or two to happen (new album/tour)? I am quite sure that something will happen next yaer, but not anything compared to the formula we have been familiar with since, say, 1989. I think those days are over.

But I'm very glad seeing Jagger now doing something he feels enjoying doing (and I like the output), besides opening the vaults is something a life long Rolling Stones like me has been waited ages to come true. I am happy with what I am wittnessing nowadays. I have been treated with releases that are most exciting and best quality since, say, SRIPPED in 1995 (or when was ROCK ND ROLL CIRCUS relaesed?). I wouldn't mind seeing the band live next year (I love to take to part to that party), but I don't think anything they do now is somehow taken away from that or standing in a way.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 12:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 17, 2011 13:09

Doxa
I don't think anything they do now is somehow taken away from that or standing in a way.

- Doxa

Think again honey. I want my rock and roll singer back please! peace.

Date: September 17, 2011 13:22

Naturalust
Doxa
I don't think anything they do now is somehow taken away from that or standing in a way.

- Doxa

Think again honey. I want my rock and roll singer back please! peace.

In the case, dear, I think you need to time-travel back in time to '78. Well, we will have some means to that very soon...

(Actually I don't see Jagger's personal contribution to SuperHeavy nothing less 'rock and roll' than what he has done within the Stones since, say, 1989, or, actually, ever. I mean he is Mick Jagger, not Keith Richards. I sometimes feel that he get his Jaggerian Stones persona stronger through when playing with some other people than The Stones. He is, finally, more Mick Jagger, not just some approximation to the music played and performed by The Rolling Stones.)

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 17, 2011 13:27

treaclefingers
HighwireC
Rolling Hansie
Come On
Who likes this kind of music that Super Heavy is doin?

Yep, I do

me too thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

thumbs up

After 2 listens, it passes the test, moved into regular current rotation. I like the album a lot!

Date: September 17, 2011 13:34

Gazza
that Guardian review is quite funny - Worse, on Energy, you're struck by the sound of Mick Jagger rapping, a sound you fear will haunt you to the grave - grinning smiley

I'm all for Mick the Man but this quote pretty much sums it up. As far as him singing blues and rock and roll and playing harmonica, he has few peers. The vehicle that allows this high praise from me is and always will be the Rolling Stones. peace.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 17, 2011 14:44

Listening to it for the second time,I must say,I like it,surprisingly.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 17, 2011 14:50

Just bought it. I´m happy to hear his voice on some new songs.

Date: September 17, 2011 16:39

SoulPlunderer
Naturalust
I think this thread is being hijacked by pro-Superheavy employees. Every time a comment that doesn't like it comes on, it gets bracketed by huge press release crap. whaty a drag. peace.

Yep, it couldn't possibly be that a lot of people disagree with you and are actually enjoying this music. You can hardly be surprised that the SuperHeavy thread, about the band SuperHeavy and their album called SuperHeavy features a few press stories about..... oh that's right, SuperHeavy!

Nah, must be a conspiracy or something. winking smiley

It would be more tolerable if the posters just posted links to the canned articles instead of copying and pasting the whole deal into their IORR post. That way we can see what the IORR people wrote and what the rest of the world published. Not sure what the right form is here but I'll bet someone does. peace.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2011 17:12

Naturalust
SoulPlunderer
Naturalust
I think this thread is being hijacked by pro-Superheavy employees. Every time a comment that doesn't like it comes on, it gets bracketed by huge press release crap. whaty a drag. peace.

Yep, it couldn't possibly be that a lot of people disagree with you and are actually enjoying this music. You can hardly be surprised that the SuperHeavy thread, about the band SuperHeavy and their album called SuperHeavy features a few press stories about..... oh that's right, SuperHeavy!

It would be more tolerable if the posters just posted links to the canned articles instead of copying and pasting the whole deal into their IORR post. That way we can see what the IORR people wrote and what the rest of the world published. Not sure what the right form is here but I'll bet someone does. peace.

Howz about just trying to be more tolerant, and let people post the way they want?

Date: September 17, 2011 17:55

treaclefingers
Naturalust
SoulPlunderer
Naturalust

Howz about just trying to be more tolerant, and let people post the way they want?

Well mostly because This is my dream, I AM the king and I don't tolerate sly marketing ploys on my time. Sorry. peace.

Date: September 17, 2011 18:25

Naturalust
treaclefingers
Naturalust
SoulPlunderer
Naturalust

Well mostly because This is my dream, I AM the king and I don't tolerate sly marketing ploys on my time. Sorry. peace.

Well if you feel that positive posters is merely a marketing conspiracy, then it seems to have worked hook, line and sinker on you, because you're on this thread fanning the flames.

Maybe you're the plant? You've only been on IORR for two months...perfect timing for a SH plant to come in and offer the 'foolish contrarian' position, only to have the rest of us digitally bitch slap you!

Are you really Mick? Or maybe Dave Stewart?

Date: September 17, 2011 18:47

Jeez, it's a messageboard. We don't have to read every post in every thread. Ignore the articles if they bore you. I find a lot of it repetitious, but I usually scan articles and interviews posted here since I'll never look for it on my own.

Nocomment was RevTwennyRedLights just like I was Rocky Dijon. He's not a shill. He's pumped about this project and has been from the beginning. Good for him. Glad he loves it. Glad I found a couple tracks I like enough on it, but it's mainly not for me. That's okay, the SOME GIRLS project is more my speed. Do you honestly think A&M would hire a deranged fanatic like the regulars here to market the project? Don't be thrown by Nocomment referring to himself as "we" it's just his personality. He's not a marketing group. He's also containing his enthusiasm to pretty much this thread. Isn't that better than starting a thread for each article he finds? You know, like everyone else does about Mick's reaction to Keith or Mick's snarky remarks about a tour.

Date: September 17, 2011 19:07

digitally bitch slap

Oh my! I'm digitally shocked into compliance. That phrase is worth having to read the whole gambit of SH fan comments. lmfao. A regular Rick James with a keyboard, you are. Ok let the SH stuff play, I'm not listening. peace.

Date: September 17, 2011 19:15

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Jeez, it's a messageboard. We don't have to read every post in every thread. Ignore the articles if they bore you. I find a lot of it repetitious, but I usually scan articles and interviews posted here since I'll never look for it on my own.

Nocomment was RevTwennyRedLights just like I was Rocky Dijon. He's not a shill. He's pumped about this project and has been from the beginning. Good for him. Glad he loves it. Glad I found a couple tracks I like enough on it, but it's mainly not for me. That's okay, the SOME GIRLS project is more my speed. Do you honestly think A&M would hire a deranged fanatic like the regulars here to market the project? Don't be thrown by Nocomment referring to himself as "we" it's just his personality. He's not a marketing group. He's also containing his enthusiasm to pretty much this thread. Isn't that better than starting a thread for each article he finds? You know, like everyone else does about Mick's reaction to Keith or Mick's snarky remarks about a tour.

Aah... you are ex-Rocky Dijon? I thought there was somothing familiar in that guy's tone... thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 19:15 by Doxa.

Date: September 17, 2011 19:44

Naturalust
digitally bitch slap

Oh my! I'm digitally shocked into compliance. That phrase is worth having to read the whole gambit of SH fan comments. lmfao. A regular Rick James with a keyboard, you are. Ok let the SH stuff play, I'm not listening. peace.

Did you enjoy that one? I must admit I actually laffed as that flew off my key strokes.

All in good fun!

Date: September 17, 2011 19:59

treaclefingers
Naturalust
digitally bitch slap

Did you enjoy that one? I must admit I actually laffed as that flew off my key strokes.

All in good fun!

Yes that one is good fodder for the Urban Dictionary online database. It is the first time I've been handled with it anyway. peace.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: September 17, 2011 20:03

Do think that Mick send some copies from SH to the members of his other SUPER group?
Would they put it in their CD player?
Keith: no way I will listen to this shit.
Charlie: nice but it is no jazz.
Ron: damn, why ain't I playing on this F$#^@%@^record.
Bill: Much heavier then my RK CD's.
MickT: I think I am playing on some of these tracks like I did on Tattoo You.

Listening for the second time, it grows..... ;-)

Mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 17, 2011 20:20

Naturalust
treaclefingers
Naturalust
digitally bitch slap

All in good fun!

Yes that one is good fodder for the Urban Dictionary online database. It is the first time I've been handled with it anyway. peace.

Unless I am m-m-m-m-mistaken, I am pr-pr-pr-pr-pretty sure that M--M-M-M-Max Headroom (no Max's relation) was digitally bitch slapping people b-b-b-b-b-back in N-N-N-N-N-N-1986....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 20:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 17, 2011 20:52

Mick Jagger FB
[www.facebook.com]
Want to hear some Superheavy? Head over to mickjagger.com as some tracks were used for L'Wren Scott's latest show in New York

Superheavy Fashion
[www.mickjagger.com]
Tracks from the forthcoming Superheavy album 'Superheavy' (click here for stockists) were played at L'Wren Scott's latest show in New York.

Mick filmed it himself - it looks as if he was shooting on his mobile

L’Wren Scott Unwinds The Dream Downtown
At Romera, the subterranean restaurant at the Dream Downtown Hotel on Thursday night, L’Wren Scott held a small dinner to unwind after her presentation earlier in the day. The designer was so unwound, in fact, that she was singing.

“Another season, another reason,” she lilted, “it sounds like a song….I have a very wonderful and supportive boyfriend. I have the most wonderful team that I’m very lucky to have. And I’m really glad that everybody was there to support me today. That’s what makes you the most happy.”

Said boyfriend, who happens to be Mick Jagger, was standing nearby. Earlier in the day, he had been taking videos of the presentation.

“My theme today was the dresses and the food,” Jagger explained. “I started on a moving dress and I ended on a still piece of food. Like a close up on a chip, a close up on the peppers, they were very bright colors. Or a close up on my guests next to me which were Gretchen Moll and Ellen Barkin.”

Jagger’s directorial efforts hadn’t stopped at the show. Upon arriving at the restaurant, he had asked a staffer to adjust the music.

“Well there wasn’t any music, basically,” he laughed, as guests including Barkin, Courtney Love and Wendi Murdoch filtered in. “And then when they put it on, it was very quiet piano music. So I’ve gotta get our own iPod.”

And what was on that iPod?

“I downloaded a really good...what’s it called?” Jagger said. “It’s called Black Joe and the somethings. It’s a kind of R&B record, but it’s new. It’s kind of like a mixture between a blues record and hip hop record and an old-fashioned R&B record. It’s called Black Joe and the somethings. I can’t remember what the somethings are.”

WWD promised to fact check it.

“Thank you,” Jagger laughed.

If you’re reading, Mick, it’s Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears.

[www.wwd.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 21:18 by proudmary.

Date: September 17, 2011 20:56

proudmary
Mick Jagger FB
[www.facebook.com]
Want to hear some Superheavy? Head over to mickjagger.com as some tracks were used for L'Wren Scott's latest show in New York

Superheavy Fashion
[www.mickjagger.com]
Tracks from the forthcoming Superheavy album 'Superheavy' (click here for stockists) were played at L'Wren Scott's latest show in New York.

What a loyal GF!

Date: September 17, 2011 21:26

Fantastic interview,differs from the others. Worth reading

The master's endless satisfaction
By Stephen Jewell
Nearly 50 years after founding the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger is at it again. He's formed SuperHeavy, a new band of heavyweight singers and musicians and is having the time of his life. Stephen Jewell catches up with him in London.

Mick Jagger thinks there's nothing wrong with growing old disgracefully. At 68, the man with the famously creased face has no intention of fading into the sunset. Instead, go on to YouTube and there he is cavorting about in a hot-pink suit in the video of Miracle Worker, the infectious first single off the band's debut album SuperHeavy.
And that's his point. Why would he retire when he's still having fun?

Jagger is sitting in an exclusive London hotel room with fellow band member Eurythmic's Dave Stewart. The pair, with English diva Joss Stone, Bob Marley's youngest son, Damian Marley, and Slumdog Millionaire composer A.R.Rahman, form the new band SuperHeavy.

"I don't know anyone my age, who is actually retired," says Jagger with a wry smile. "People don't do that anymore. It wouldn't even occur to me. Maybe I would if I wasn't able to do it anymore, if I wasn't able to sing or if the keys were too high. If everyone stayed up too late and Dave drank too many martinis, perhaps I'd go 'I can't do this anymore' but it's not really like that. It's just the same as it always was really, although there's less drugs than there used to be."

While the Stones were originally drawn together by their mutual love of rhythm and blues, SuperHeavy's numerous influences include reggae, soul and Bollywood soundtracks.

Described as "a mad alchemist type experiment", SuperHeavy grew out of Jagger and Stewart's desire to work with musicians from different cultures and genres. They had both worked previously with Stone on the soundtrack of 2004's forgettable Alfie remake. Marley came on board after impressing with his 2010 album Distant Relatives with American rapper Nas while Rahman was recruited after they crossed paths with the Oscar winner in Los Angeles. Getting all five together at the same time proved to be a logistical nightmare. But while recording took place in Los Angeles, Miami, the South of France, Cyprus, Turkey, the Caribbean and India, Jagger insists it was an organic process.

"It was all done in the same room with amplifiers, a rhythm section, two extra keyboard players and a violinist," Jagger says. "We did it all live and, afterwards, we did lots of posts, which you always have to do, filling in the gaps, writing things that are missing and adding other instruments. That took awhile. The first two weeks were pretty incredible, especially considering that it could have been rubbish, nothing at all or just mediocre. There was a lot of high-energy stuff. It was fast and furious."

Jagger is fizzing, full of energy despite a long day talking to the world's press. He and Stewart make a formidable tag team, frequently finishing each other's sentences, cracking jokes and branching off on long tangents. Jagger looks impeccable in a turquoise shirt, white T-shirt and jeans, a more reserved look than the fluorescent pink suit and sneakers he wears in the video for Miracle Worker.

"I felt pretty good in that," he laughs. "The set was so dark, I thought it would be nice to have some pizzazz."

Stewart says: "The five of us are all relatively well known but Mick is much more well known. I was wondering what he was going to wear for the shoot and then he turns up in bright pink. It was brilliant. It was important to come out and say 'f*** you, here I am'."

Stewart agrees Jagger, and his voice, are in good form.

"Having five different people working together and watching Mick hone his sections and work out where exactly he was going to come in was like watching a master painter or film director when they get older."

As Stewart points out, even the younger members of SuperHeavy have pretty extensive track records. "Joss is only 24 but has actually been doing it since she was 13," he says. "AR comes from the film composing side of things. He'd sit and watch this mad group of Western people make music and he wouldn't say anything for awhile. Then he'd come in and play something and you'd think what the hell's that? It's like something from outer space but it fits on top."

Although SuperHeavy cover more stylistic bases than the Rolling Stones, Jagger believes all but the most stubborn of his old band's followers will warm to his new album. "I'm sure that the Stones fans who like us in a very wide way will like this as well," he says. "The Stones have always been a band that has done a lot of different kinds of music; we've never been stuck in any way. Even though the Stones started off as a blues band, we expanded our horizons and have done a lot of other things. So if you like the Rolling Stones expanding, you'll like this. But if you only like one kind of Stones music - if you only like Honky Tonk Woman - maybe you won't like it."

Growing up in Dartford, Kent, Jagger first bonded with Keith Richards over their mutual love of American blues pioneers like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf. "We thought they were really ancient when we went to see them but they weren't really that old," recalls Jagger. "I remember thinking 'how can a poor old guy like John Lee Hooker play like that? I must go over and speak to him.' But he was only about 40, which I thought was really old at the time. You just do what you can and if you feel like you're more or less still at the top of your game then you just keep doing it, you don't think about how old you are."

Even Jagger's harshest critic Richards approves of SuperHeavy despite claiming in his autobiography last year that Jagger should never have gone solo. "Keith likes it a lot because he likes Damian," says Jagger, who has also played the album to his fellow Stones Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts. "Charlie really liked it because of the rhythmic nature of it."

While Jagger insists SuperHeavy would only play live "if we could create some kind of special event", he and Stewart are keen to make a follow-up record.

"We actually talked about this before we even started and I said 'wait a minute, let's make the first album before we make this second one'. But if we did another one, it would have to be completely different to the first album."

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

It's just the same as it always was really, although there's less drugs than there used to be. - I like it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 21:37 by proudmary.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 17, 2011 21:44

I'm no fan of world music, but the track "Energy" features some brilliant harp-playing by Mick. Hearing Mick on the harp just makes me glad to be alive...

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-17 21:46 by drewmaster.

Date: September 17, 2011 22:04

proudmary

Who are these ladies next to Mick?

Drew

Date: September 17, 2011 22:24

drewmaster
proudmary

Who are these ladies next to Mick?

Drew

Dasha Zhukova, Mick Jagger and Rachel Feinstein
and the 2d photo - with Courtney Love

Date: September 17, 2011 22:31

proudmary
Mick Jagger FB
[www.facebook.com]

Superheavy Fashion
[www.mickjagger.com]

Mick filmed it himself - it looks as if he was shooting on his mobile

L’Wren Scott Unwinds The Dream Downtown
At Romera, the subterranean restaurant at the Dream Downtown Hotel on Thursday night, L’Wren Scott held a small dinner to unwind after her presentation earlier in the day. The designer was so unwound, in fact, that she was singing.

“Another season, another reason,” she lilted, “it sounds like a song….I have a very wonderful and supportive boyfriend. I have the most wonderful team that I’m very lucky to have. And I’m really glad that everybody was there to support me today. That’s what makes you the most happy

last pic, at first glance I thought the woman standing up was nude; and was being asked to leave.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 17, 2011 23:19

drewmaster
Hearing Mick on the harp just makes me glad to be alive

This is so cool man. What you say is perfect. That's exactly what music is about. Never mind what the professors have to say about whether a song is good or bad. It is simply about what you feel. Your post made me feel good, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 18, 2011 00:37

Rolling Hansie
drewmaster

This is so cool man. What you say is perfect. That's exactly what music is about. Never mind what the professors have to say about whether a song is good or bad. It is simply about what you feel. Your post made me feel good, thanks

check out a couple tracks from the rarities CD , Mick blows (actually probably sucks more- like lit'l Walter) a mean harp. I love his playing on that instrument above his singing and guitar playing actually. He should do that more with the Stones too... peace.

Date: September 18, 2011 01:49

Rolling Hansie
drewmaster

Blessings and many thanks, Rolling Hansie.

Drew

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 18, 2011 01:55

At least some who knows where music is all about..............

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: September 18, 2011 02:10

proudmary, we love this article too, so much, so we just gotta excerpt and
headline and highlight and repeat a few things from it, for people who
don't have the time,and because we are proud of ourselves for having speculated
along these lines for months now...

KEITH LIKES SUPERHEAVY! "A LOT!" KEITH LIKES DAMIAN!

proudmary
Fantastic interview,differs from the others. Worth reading

The master's endless satisfaction

"I don't know anyone my age, who is actually retired," says Jagger with a wry
smile. "People don't do that anymore. It wouldn't even occur to me. Maybe I
would if I wasn't able to do it anymore, if I wasn't able to sing or if the keys
were too high. If everyone stayed up too late and Dave drank too many martinis,
perhaps I'd go 'I can't do this anymore' but it's not really like that. It's
just the same as it always was really, although there's less drugs than there
used to be."

Marley came on board after impressing with his 2010 album Distant Relatives with American rapper Nas...

"It was all done in the same room with amplifiers, a rhythm section, two extra
keyboard players and a violinist," Jagger says. "We did it all live and,
afterwards, we did lots of posts, which you always have to do, filling in the
gaps, writing things that are missing and adding other instruments. That took
awhile. The first two weeks were pretty incredible, especially considering that
it could have been rubbish, nothing at all or just mediocre. There was a lot of
high-energy stuff. It was fast and furious."

Jagger is fizzing, full of energy despite a long day talking to the world's
press. He and Stewart make a formidable tag team, frequently finishing each
other's sentences
, cracking jokes and branching off on long tangents. Jagger
looks impeccable in a turquoise shirt, white T-shirt and jeans, a more reserved
look than the fluorescent pink suit and sneakers he wears in the video for
Miracle Worker.

"I felt pretty good in that," he laughs. "The set was so dark, I thought it
would be nice to have some pizzazz."

Stewart says: "The five of us are all relatively well known but Mick is much
more well known. I was wondering what he was going to wear for the shoot and
then he turns up in bright pink. It was brilliant. It was important to come out
and say 'f*** you, here I am'."

Stewart agrees Jagger, and his voice, are in good form.

"Having five different people working together and watching Mick hone his
sections and work out where exactly he was going to come in was like watching a
master painter or film director when they get older."

"AR comes from the film composing side of things. He'd sit and watch this mad
group of Western people make music and he wouldn't say anything for awhile. Then
he'd come in and play something and you'd think what the hell's that? It's like
something from outer space but it fits on top."

Although SuperHeavy cover more stylistic bases than the Rolling Stones, Jagger
believes all but the most stubborn of his old band's followers will warm to his
new album.
"I'm sure that the Stones fans who like us in a very wide way
will like this as well," he says. "The Stones have always been a band that has
done a lot of different kinds of music; we've never been stuck in any way. Even
though the Stones started off as a blues band, we expanded our horizons and have
done a lot of other things. So if you like the Rolling Stones expanding, you'll
like this. But if you only like one kind of Stones music - if you only like
Honky Tonk Woman - maybe you won't like it."

Even Jagger's harshest critic Richards approves of SuperHeavy despite
claiming in his autobiography last year that Jagger should never have gone solo.
"Keith likes it a lot because he likes Damian," says Jagger

While Jagger insists SuperHeavy would only play live "if we could create some
kind of special event", he and Stewart are keen to make a follow-up record.

"We actually talked about this before we even started and I said 'wait a minute,
let's make the first album before we make this second one'. But if we did
another one, it would have to be completely different to the first album."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 63

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home