Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2011 06:39

Mr Chops claims he loves The Dead ....But truth be known he does tend ta play with himself a hell of a lot ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 19, 2011 14:26

Rockman
Mr Chops claims he loves The Dead ....But truth be known he does tend ta play with himself a hell of a lot ....

who be this mr. chops?

Posted by: lox ()
Date: April 19, 2011 15:32

Depeche Mode.

Incredibly popular over here in Germany but I find them horrid!

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: April 19, 2011 16:50

Leonard Cohen- to me every song is the same and the melody just modulates up when he changes to a higher chord, then back down, and it's very boring.

Tom Waits- agree with those who say his act seems forced

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 19, 2011 17:11

neylon79
Leonard Cohen- to me every song is the same and the melody just modulates up when he changes to a higher chord, then back down, and it's very boring.

I bet you like the Buckley's father & son...smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 19, 2011 17:34

neylon79

What a shame for you...two of the finest artists the world has produced and the source of some of the most transcendent musical experiences I have had.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: April 19, 2011 17:39

1. the beetles
2. queen
3. dead
4. hendrix
5. eagles

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:20

71Tele
guitarbastard
71Tele
I never understood why Guns & Roses were considered a serious band by so many people with otherwise decent taste.

appetite for destruction is one of the best rock albums of the last 30 years. the songwriting is killer. the production outstanding and the guitarwork absolutely amazing. sorry to say: but if you dont like appetite you dont like rock music. PERIOD!

You're right: I don't like "Rock music". I don't like G&R, AC/DC or Aerosmith. I cannot take these groups seriously. They have nothing to say to me. Axl Rose is an egotistical moron. Their music is bombastic and indulgent.

So yes, if "Rock music" (as opposed to rock & roll, which I differentiate it from) is a bunch of preening white boys who play loud, but don't swing (which it mostly is), you are absolutely right: I don't like it.

Oh, and as for the greatness of "Appetite For Destruction". I would rather be boiled in hot oil than be forced to listen to someone whose "singing" reminds me of the sound of a hyena having its testicles slowly extracted.

I'm a couple days behind in my reading but I want to thank Tele for a laugh out loud moment... Up until now I didn't know what "the sound of a hyena having it's testicles slowly extracted" sounded like. Sign me up for the boiled oil rather than harming another hyena!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:44

The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Brian Wilson
Bruce Springsteen
Syd Barrett
& post Waters Pink Floyd....................

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 19, 2011 19:51

71Tele
24FPS
So........again, there's something wrong with me, my ears, because I find the Grateful Dead vocals sour, the instrumentation messy without being funky, and the lyrics shallow; with just the slightest whiff of patchouli scented phony hippiedom. Furthur man, furthur.

Nothing wrong with you at all. You have it about right.

smoking smileythumbs up

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 19, 2011 21:06

EddieByword
Syd Barrett

You're basically saying you have a fondness for Waters-era Floyd, if I understand you correctly?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 19, 2011 21:14

mickscarey
1. the beetles
2. queen
3. dead
4. hendrix
5. eagles

take out Hendrix and i'm right with you mate

i'd also add The Beach Boys, U2, Bruce Springsteen, either of the Buckley's, Love, Clapton, Jeff Beck (well anything without Rod on it), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Fleetwood Mac (mark 2), all that lightweight soft rock shite like Journey, Styx, Foreigner etc, anything C&W except Johnny Cash, The Smiths, Van Halen, Kiss, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, the other two, Arcade Fire, The Clash, Paul Weller, Joy Division / New Order, Oasis, Stone Roses, Elvis, Pearl Jam, Genesis, ANYTHING with Phil Collins on it,

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 21:21 by andy js.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: April 19, 2011 21:24

I've got to defend Tom Waits here!!! Agree totally with 71 tele his music moves me like no other artist. Soldiers Things is an incredible tune if that does'nt get inside your soul nothing will. Just really dig his music and 100% original (well almost)

John Nicholls

Date: April 19, 2011 21:28

mr_dja
71Tele
guitarbastard
71Tele
I never understood why Guns & Roses were considered a serious band by so many people with otherwise decent taste.

appetite for destruction is one of the best rock albums of the last 30 years. the songwriting is killer. the production outstanding and the guitarwork absolutely amazing. sorry to say: but if you dont like appetite you dont like rock music. PERIOD!

You're right: I don't like "Rock music". I don't like G&R, AC/DC or Aerosmith. I cannot take these groups seriously. They have nothing to say to me. Axl Rose is an egotistical moron. Their music is bombastic and indulgent.

So yes, if "Rock music" (as opposed to rock & roll, which I differentiate it from) is a bunch of preening white boys who play loud, but don't swing (which it mostly is), you are absolutely right: I don't like it.

Oh, and as for the greatness of "Appetite For Destruction". I would rather be boiled in hot oil than be forced to listen to someone whose "singing" reminds me of the sound of a hyena having its testicles slowly extracted.

I'm a couple days behind in my reading but I want to thank Tele for a laugh out loud moment... Up until now I didn't know what "the sound of a hyena having it's testicles slowly extracted" sounded like. Sign me up for the boiled oil rather than harming another hyena!

Peace,
Mr DJA

My pleasure. I'll be at Chuckles in Des Moines next week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2011 22:57

Thricenay
EddieByword
Syd Barrett

You're basically saying you have a fondness for Waters-era Floyd, if I understand you correctly?
Thriceyea, you do .............and Waters solo esp. Amused to death.............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-20 18:47 by EddieByword.

Date: April 20, 2011 00:30

I feel like I am supposed to like Jerry Nolan; a hipness thing. But I have to admit (and I hate it) that I think he is a lousy drummer. Even scarier is that he replaced Billy Murcia, and was considered lightyears better than him; how bad was Billy Murcia then?
But no one probably cares about that story.

Two people I really don't like are Rory Gallagher and Johnny Winter. And I have tried.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 20, 2011 00:38

mickscarey
1. the beetles
2. queen
3. dead
4. hendrix
5. eagles

I can understand 1,2,3 and 5 but Hendrix?????

Explain me old friend mc

Date: April 20, 2011 00:50

NICOS
mickscarey
1. the beetles
2. queen
3. dead
4. hendrix
5. eagles

I can understand 1,2,3 and 5 but Hendrix?????

Explain me old friend mc

You can understand 1? I can't...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 20, 2011 04:36

71Tele
neylon79

What a shame for you...two of the finest artists the world has produced and the source of some of the most transcendent musical experiences I have had.

Eh, when I'm listening to classic Marvin Gaye or Stevie, Im transcendenting just fine.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: April 20, 2011 04:42

I would never trust anyone who doesn't like either The Grateful Dead or Baseball!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 20, 2011 05:29

jabhead
I would never trust anyone who doesn't like either The Grateful Dead or Baseball!
+1smileys with beer

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: April 20, 2011 05:30

keefriffhard4life
AngieBlue
The Grateful Dead are tops on my list too. Some of their stuff is ok, but I just don't get it. Too much noodling for me.

Prince is another. Purple Rain came out when I was in high school and it was everywhere. That might be why. And what came after sounded like the same record with different lyrics to me.

you are funny. prince got blasted for the albums after purple rain for sounding NOTHING like it.not sure how "raspberry beret" sounds like "when doves cry"

A little behind ....

True those two songs don't sound the same. Prince on the whole? Please...same fake drums, click tracks, give it a minute I'll make my guitar scream loud, whiny, honey can't you hear how sexy I am voice and attitude, and can't you hear how talented I am attitude in every single one of his records. That is what sticks out about him and makes his records all alike. Even changing his name to some stupid symbol didn't change who he is. Same act since Purple Rain and 1999.

JMHO. To each his own.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 20, 2011 05:39

My landlord is playing something with Jerry Garcia croaking over some faux bluegrass. Must shut window.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 20, 2011 06:09

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 20, 2011 07:03

jabhead

Good call!

Date: April 20, 2011 07:04

StonesTod
24FPS
It's not the Grateful Dead per se that I dislike, it's their fans who keep insisting there's more there than what my ears are telling me.

don't blame the fans for your ear probs, son....

Another good one. Some people just missed the bus!

Date: April 20, 2011 07:06

24FPS
So........again, there's something wrong with me, my ears, because I find the Grateful Dead vocals sour, the instrumentation messy without being funky, and the lyrics shallow; with just the slightest whiff of patchouli scented phony hippiedom. Furthur man, furthur.

In a word............ YES!

Date: April 20, 2011 07:09

24FPS
My landlord is playing something with Jerry Garcia croaking over some faux bluegrass. Must shut window.

Keep your day job till your night job pays. Cuz your comedy is worthless!

Date: April 20, 2011 07:51

jabhead

Well, I love the baseball, so you can half trust me.

Date: April 20, 2011 08:07

sweetcharmedlife

Three questions:

1. What's with the chick hippie dancing on stage at 1.30?

2. Which one of the various exploding keyboardists is this?

3. I get Garcia, but why does anyone think Bob Weir has a shred of talent?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home