Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Sacred Cows: artists you're supposed to like, but don't.
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 15, 2011 10:38

The X-pensive Winos. confused smiley

Posted by: bjornone ()
Date: April 15, 2011 12:18

U2: The most boring crap I can imagine. Bonos voice have the same effect as a bunch of sleeping pill
Morrisey: Dito. His whining introspective songs about his choice of underwears is the antithesis to rock n roll.
Bob Dylan. By far the most overrated artist in modern era. He would certainly deserves some gigs at the local pub, but that is about it.
Bruce Springsteen. To straight, in my view he does not have the "bigger than life" factor. Where is the groupies? Where is the drugs, where is the busts, where is the mythology?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 15, 2011 12:30

coldplay
radiohead
muse
janis joplin
ramones
greatful dead
kiss
springsteen

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 15, 2011 14:30

NickB
StonesTod
Brue
Springsteen. I don't know how many times I've avoided seeing him. I can't stand sing a longs. Not to say I don't like a few of his songs, but overall he's a pain in the ass to listen to and put up.

as stones fans, i'm not even sure we're supposed to like bruce. aside from my mate, gazza, i've never met another stones fan in all my days who liked bruce. that has to mean something...can't just be a wild coincidence.

Sorry but I love Springsteen. So there's me and Gazza.

didn't know we had met, nick. my bad. it's rough getting old.

Date: April 15, 2011 14:31

BluzDude
NickB

Sorry but I love Springsteen. So there's me and Gazza.

...and you can add myself and SCL to that list.

...And I've been a Stones fan since 1964.

ah, me. all these people i've met and don't remember.....

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: April 15, 2011 21:56

The Sex Pistols

Queen

U2

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 15, 2011 21:57

Kiss
Aerosmith

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: April 15, 2011 22:06

Are Kiss really "sacred cows"? I don't think so. Outside of the "Kiss Army", I believe most people who actually like their stuff consider them as some kind of "guilty pleasure"...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 15, 2011 22:13

I never understood why Guns & Roses were considered a serious band by so many people with otherwise decent taste.

Date: April 15, 2011 22:19

71Tele
I never understood why Guns & Roses were considered a serious band by so many people with otherwise decent taste.

i thought they were serious. oh, but you said...yeah...nevermind....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 15, 2011 22:23

AC/DC for my choice. Always sounded like a bad spoof. When I first read that Keith liked them in CREEM Magazine in 1981, I was convinced the journalist had made it up. Of course, I was only 10 and thought Keith was cool.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: April 15, 2011 22:33

Man, some o' you guys are harshing on the wonderful Graham Nash?! This man gave us Marrakesh Express, Lady of the Island, Simple Man, etc. Love his harmony singing too. I have to admire the uniqueness of the physical weight = artistic weight CSN theory though.

Me, I can't listen to Tom Waits or Springsteen anymore, and I used to really enjoy Bruce. The Southern accent has to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 22:33 by Claire_M.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 15, 2011 22:35

Aw, you just need your tires rotated by a red-headed woman, that's all.

Date: April 15, 2011 23:01

Claire_M
Man, some o' you guys are harshing on the wonderful Graham Nash?! This man gave us Marrakesh Express, Lady of the Island, Simple Man, etc. Love his harmony singing too. I have to admire the uniqueness of the physical weight = artistic weight CSN theory though.

Me, I can't listen to Tom Waits or Springsteen anymore, and I used to really enjoy Bruce. The Southern accent has to go.

i didn't realize he had a southern accent now. maybe i'll have to reconsider my position on bruce...i'm developing a darling texas twang myself here after just a few months in dixie....

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 15, 2011 23:40

Dare I say the Temptations? Well, I just did - and any of those other Sixties black groups who also used to perform their well-rehearsed dance routines as they sang.

Watered-down soul to my ears.

As the Stones have covered this stuff, that must make them sacred cows on this site.

P.S. The Isley Brothers too.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: April 16, 2011 00:19

I thought you people were my people before I read this thread...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 16, 2011 00:39

CSNY,KISS.Dead,Bon Jovi,Metallica,Billy Joel, Arcade Fire, Bob Dylan.

Date: April 16, 2011 01:34

neil... anything csny related actually..

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 16, 2011 04:57

71Tele

appetite for destruction is one of the best rock albums of the last 30 years. the songwriting is killer. the production outstanding and the guitarwork absolutely amazing. sorry to say: but if you dont like appetite you dont like rock music. PERIOD!

Date: April 16, 2011 05:11

guitarbastard
71Tele

appetite for destruction is one of the best rock albums of the last 30 years. the songwriting is killer. the production outstanding and the guitarwork absolutely amazing. sorry to say: but if you dont like appetite you dont like rock music. PERIOD!

You're right: I don't like "Rock music". I don't like G&R, AC/DC or Aerosmith. I cannot take these groups seriously. They have nothing to say to me. Axl Rose is an egotistical moron. Their music is bombastic and indulgent.

So yes, if "Rock music" (as opposed to rock & roll, which I differentiate it from) is a bunch of preening white boys who play loud, but don't swing (which it mostly is), you are absolutely right: I don't like it.

Oh, and as for the greatness of "Appetite For Destruction". I would rather be boiled in hot oil than be forced to listen to someone whose "singing" reminds me of the sound of a hyena having its testicles slowly extracted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-16 05:20 by 71Tele.

Date: April 16, 2011 05:13

71Tele
guitarbastard
71Tele

You're right: I don't like "Rock music". I don't like G&R, AC/DC or Aerosmith. I cannot take these groups seriously. They have nothing to say to me. Axl Rose is an egotistical moron. Their music is bombastic and indulgent.

So yes, if "Rock music" (as opposed to rock & roll, which I differentiate it from) is a bunch of preening white boys who play loud, but don't swing (which it mostly is), you are absolutely right: I don't like it.

sounds like a good description of the rolling stone since 1975

Date: April 16, 2011 05:15

keefriffhard4life
71Tele
guitarbastard
71Tele

sounds like a good description of the rolling stone since 1975

Not even I would go that far...especially through 1981 or '82. After that, it's more problematic, but I still wouldn't compare the Stones to the other artists I mentioned. Thank God for Charlie.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: April 18, 2011 22:30

Guns and Roses , Metallica ,Led Zeppelin because of most of Plant vocals.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2011 22:55

It's not the Grateful Dead per se that I dislike, it's their fans who keep insisting there's more there than what my ears are telling me.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 18, 2011 22:58

24FPS
It's not the Grateful Dead per se that I dislike, it's their fans who keep insisting there's more there than what my ears are telling me.

The Dead: The more drugs you do, the "more is there" effect cuts in.
It's a terror ride for the sober.

Date: April 18, 2011 23:29

24FPS

don't blame the fans for your ear probs, son....

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 23:36

My list:

Steely Dan: Ugh..the voices, the jazzy music...I turn the dial every time I hear them come on.
Bob Dylan: Can't get past the voice. I think the music and lyrics are good; if he could get someone else to sing his songs, it would be so much better!
Grateful Dead: Too much noodling; don't like the vocals or many of the songs.
Phish: Same as Grateful Dead
Wilco: The first couple are good, but I just don't get what's so great about them. I find their discs boring.
Radiohead: Again, liked the first few discs, but they've become unlistenable to me.
Dave Matthews: Same comment as Grateful Dead and Phish.

And finally, I haven't seen this one mentioned...the BEACH BOYS. The only one I really like is "Good Vibrations". Most of the rest of their repertoire just grates on my nerves.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 19, 2011 04:27

So........again, there's something wrong with me, my ears, because I find the Grateful Dead vocals sour, the instrumentation messy without being funky, and the lyrics shallow; with just the slightest whiff of patchouli scented phony hippiedom. Furthur man, furthur.

Date: April 19, 2011 06:20

24FPS
So........again, there's something wrong with me, my ears, because I find the Grateful Dead vocals sour, the instrumentation messy without being funky, and the lyrics shallow; with just the slightest whiff of patchouli scented phony hippiedom. Furthur man, furthur.

Q: What did the Dead fan say when the pot wore off?

A: This band sucks!

Date: April 19, 2011 06:27

24FPS

Nothing wrong with you at all. You have it about right.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home