Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: 10 reasons why 1981 Hampton is the best Stones boot ever
Posted by: tornandfrayed72 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 23:46

I've always thought Leeds '71 gets shorted when people think of the great Stones boots. Maybe it's because the version of Rambler isn't the best (compare it to Ya Yas or Brussels and it's no contest) and that was their show stopper in those days. It's also missing the first two tracks...but I always loved the version of Satisfaction (very Otis) and Bitch and Brown Sugar cook. Can't beat those Chuck Berry covers either. And they did an encore!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2011 23:48

It should be releazed in its entirety.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 7, 2011 05:34

Eleanor Rigby
certainly their best show of the 1981/82 tour (think we all agree on this).
Mick is fantastic during this show....love the start of the show.

to me though, there's better shows during the glory years...less posing and less Mick dreadful growling vocals, and less annoying sax!

I thought Mick was at his best during this show. Maybe too much guitar strapped on though. He looked good too. I loved his violet pants and print shirt. Most importantly his arm motions are brilliant rather than that annoying arm bent in the air jabbing thing he does now.

The sax is just fine, this is a professional musician not a hack. Ernie even bangs the tambourine from time to time as well. What is really a relief is not threesome of singers and dancers on stage.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 7, 2011 09:45

Say what you want about Brussels, the 1972, 1973, 1969 tours...they were all great, but Hampton 81 is the best. I don't like the 81 tour much (heven't seen it, only know it from the bootlegs), I deffinitely prefer the earlier tours, but the Hampton show is THE ONE show where somehow everything is perfect.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 7, 2011 10:07

The Sicilian

The sax is just fine, this is a professional musician not a hack. Ernie even bangs the tambourine from time to time as well. What is really a relief is not threesome of singers and dancers on stage.

yeah, Ernie strikes me as in the zone for someone who didn't have any previous Stones connection. He rocks out. He reminds me a bit of Stu--a somewhat older big "bloke," not hip but a solid player.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 7, 2011 10:22

Great memories of seeing this show on On. But again, memories that mystify the beginning of a love affair aren't always a clear objective view of quality. I much prefer the boots from the European tour where Mick is actually singing.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 7, 2011 10:53

I stumbled across this YouTube person with amazing Stones stuff from 72 and 73. He has a clip with Brown Sugar and SFM from Madison Square Garden in 1972, something that I have never seen before. Mick is really late at the mike for the final verse of SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy.

MileHigh

Date: January 7, 2011 15:05

whitem8
Great memories of seeing this show on On. But again, memories that mystify the beginning of a love affair aren't always a clear objective view of quality. I much prefer the boots from the European tour where Mick is actually singing.

How is he not singing in Hampton?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 7, 2011 15:31

MileHigh
I stumbled across this YouTube person with amazing Stones stuff from 72 and 73. He has a clip with Brown Sugar and SFM from Madison Square Garden in 1972, something that I have never seen before. Mick is really late at the mike for the final verse of SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Enjoy.

MileHigh

I do. Unsurpassed era.
You stumbled across the You Tube poster too I think. smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 8, 2011 21:04

I've listened to this boasted 1981 Hampton bootleg in the best quality but I don't love it at all. I could say that Jagger's singing is more like barking, that the guitars sound thinly and sometimes out of order, that the solos miss structure and expressiveness, that many songs they play aren't my favourite ones but that Wyman plays well etc. Let's try to classify the sound more generally. Then one word comes to mind: masculine. This is masculine music, macho music. Rough and not subtle at all. I miss the feminine touch the Stones at their best always have. So this music doesn't move me at all, maybe my legs a bit, but not my feelings. It's fast food macho music for the millions. Very predictable.

For example the song Let Spend The Night Together. Good Lord, which desperate woman would say Yes, I want to spend the night with you, when it's sung and played like it is on this Hampton boot? It sounds like a command or like someone proposing to have sex because of boredom. The contrary of seductiveness or even a plea. It all sounds the same: if you've heard one song you've heard it all. Uniformity. Quite sad actually and very reminiscent of Still Life.

Date: January 8, 2011 21:30

kleermaker
I've listened to this boasted 1981 Hampton bootleg in the best quality but I don't love it at all. I could say that Jagger's singing is more like barking, that the guitars sound thinly and sometimes out of order, that the solos miss structure and expressiveness, that many songs they play aren't my favourite ones but that Wyman plays well etc. Let's try to classify the sound more generally. Then one word comes to mind: masculine. This is masculine music, macho music. Rough and not subtle at all. I miss the feminine touch the Stones at their best always have. So this music doesn't move me at all, maybe my legs a bit, but not my feelings. It's fast food macho music for the millions. Very predictable.

For example the song Let Spend The Night Together. Good Lord, which desperate woman would say Yes, I want to spend the night with you, when it's sung and played like it is on this Hampton boot? It sounds like a command or like someone proposing to have sex because of boredom. The contrary of seductiveness or even a plea. It all sounds the same: if you've heard one song you've heard it all. Uniformity. Quite sad actually and very reminiscent of Still Life.

Don't feel too bad, you failed miserably as a music critic. The "feminine" touch? Its a concert not a sweet sixteen birthday party.

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: January 8, 2011 21:48

Having checked out whatever opposition still existed after the punk explosion, the Stones finally got round to responding -in fine style- by way of a superb, hard rocking, in-your-face, up-an'-at-'em, explosion of raunch at it's very best.

Hampton documents beautifully, that no-holds-barred response.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2011 22:56

"This is masculine music, macho music. Rough and not subtle at all"

Yep you've nailed the very definition of what ROCK AND ROLL is. Funny to see rock is fading away as our western societies turn more and more to feminine values...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 9, 2011 01:42

dcba

Yep you've nailed the very definition of what ROCK AND ROLL is. Funny to see rock is fading away as our western societies turn more and more to feminine values...

The Rolling Stones at their best are way more than this one dimensional definition of (hard) rock and roll. So this isn't the Rolling Stones at their best. The Stones just another hard rocking band, like Mainman says? Sounds like a heavy insult to me. How plain and ten a penny that would be.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 9, 2011 02:00

kleermaker
For example the song Let Spend The Night Together. Good Lord, which desperate woman would say Yes, I want to spend the night with you, when it's sung and played like it is on this Hampton boot? It sounds like a command or like someone proposing to have sex because of boredom.

Of course all desperate women freaked out while listening to the Ed Sullivan version...furthermore you didn´t pay enough attention to the setlist :

Under My Thumb
When The Whip Comes Down
Let´s Spend The Night Together

...this must be some secret message...eye popping smiley

Date: January 9, 2011 06:16

kleermaker
dcba

The Rolling Stones at their best are way more than this one dimensional definition of (hard) rock and roll. So this isn't the Rolling Stones at their best. The Stones just another hard rocking band, like Mainman says? Sounds like a heavy insult to me. How plain and ten a penny that would be.

In the early 80s, any band worth their salt had the simple choice of being either hard-rocking or ceasing to exist.

Date: January 9, 2011 21:07

Mainman
kleermaker
dcba

In the early 80s, any band worth their salt had the simple choice of being either hard-rocking or ceasing to exist.

Many Stones fans don't like :"8tees crap" confused smiley How come??

Date: January 9, 2011 21:52

Amsterdamned
Mainman
kleermaker
dcba

Many Stones fans don't like :"8tees crap" confused smiley How come??

I don't like much from the eighties either but I fail to see what that has to do with the fact that the Stones sounded more like a rock band during 1981 than they did either before or since.

Date: January 10, 2011 00:18

I think pop music in the 8-tees went to a higher harmonic and technical level, the Stones couldn't compete..They should have sticked to their genuine 6tees and 7tees roots imo, at which they where best.

Bands like Mister Mister (short life though) and Toto (to name a few )
outplayed them completely. They sounded quite heavy and more enegetic.

Date: January 10, 2011 00:25

Why on earth would the Stones want to compete with anyone on a technical level? That's not what they're about.

It's only rock n' roll is their mantra, with the emphasis on ONLY.

Date: January 10, 2011 01:03

Amsterdamned

I think pop music in the 8-tees went to a higher harmonic and technical level, the Stones couldn't compete..They should have sticked to their genuine 6tees and 7tees roots imo, at which they where best.

Probably the Stones didn´t want to compete...

Date: January 10, 2011 01:10

Mainman
Why on earth would the Stones want to compete with anyone on a technical level? That's not what they're about.

Agreed,but in the 8tees they tried side steps to different styles, and imo not very convincing.

Date: January 10, 2011 01:11

shortfatfanny

Amsterdamned

Probably the Stones didn´t want to compete...

Neither did Toto or Mr Mister.

Date: January 10, 2011 01:12

Amsterdamned
Mainman

Agreed,but in the 8tees they tried side steps to different styles, and imo not very convincing.

What kind of styles are you refering to which they haven´t tried before the 80´s ?

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:24

k

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-10 03:26 by brianwalker.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:25

stones78
How can anyone not like this? Listen to Bill!:

because of this. why waste my time with 1981.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: January 10, 2011 04:01

brianwalker
because of this. why waste my time with 1981.

That might be about the best damn thing I've ever seen.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 10, 2011 17:18

Hampton has its ups and downs, but is overall superb. Sound quality is good (almost incredible for a boot): unfortunately Keith is too low in the mix and Bill is a little muddy untill half way through the set. From this point of view I consider Stll Life the state of art with regard to the 81 tour. Musically, how the Stones - as a band - play on this tour is very simply how I would like to play rock and roll if I was capable to.

C

Date: January 10, 2011 19:05

shortfatfanny
Amsterdamned
Mainman

What kind of styles are you refering to which they haven´t tried before the 80´s ?

None??

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 10, 2011 23:03

kleermaker
dcba

I believe you are completely right, kleermaker. The problem with the Hampton era Stones performances, is that Jagger appears completely detached from the songs he is singing, which certainly wasn't the case earlier on in the Stones career. Only perhaps during the 75-76 live shows could the same claim be made, and even then, for me, it wasn't anywhere near as much an issue. The 81 tour was primarily for Jagger a business proposition, and certainly there appears to be next to nothing of any artistic value. I think there is little or no sensitivity within the way Jagger is expressing himself at this point in time.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home