Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: 10 reasons why 1981 Hampton is the best Stones boot ever
Posted by: liveatleeds ()
Date: January 5, 2011 06:19

I don't like Hampton much, or really much of anything from the 81 tour. It's ok and all and sure it had 25 songs or whatever, but too many of them are weak songs, Neighbors, Little T&A, Hang Fire, She's So Cold, Imagination..etc..weak songs in the Stones catalogue, IMO. I can't stand Going to a Go Go, either. This gig does nothing for me, never did even back then. Mick's vocals are pretty lazy and sloppy and well, bad. Keith's are worse. The harmonys' are brutal. Woody is so stoned he can barely stand let alone hit the right notes.

I'd take Brussels any day over it, Leeds, or No Flash No Gimmicks or Handsome Girls (78) by a mile. Those '78 gigs blow Hampton out of the water.

Or several of the 72 boots. (Philly, Charlotte, Texas etc) The '81 (tour) was the turning point, where the Stones turned into a circus act and money making machine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 06:23 by liveatleeds.

Date: January 5, 2011 10:40

Leeds 71 is sloppy, Hampton not, imo.

Date: January 5, 2011 10:44

Sighunt
Although I have always liked Hampton (primarily for the sound quality), I would not consider it to be the best performance from the 1980's. I know I'll get heat from others, but I am going to go on a limb and argue that the pay per view Atlantic City 1989 blows away Hampton, Virginia for being one of the truly better performances in the last 20 years...Now before I'm crucified by the masses (I know that for many, the Steel Wheels tour marked the beginning of the end of the Rolling Stones via the Vegas styled tours), I would suggest that if you haven't watched this show in a while, please do so. I viewed it again in its entirety over the weekend (I still have a video tape of this show-I haven't gotten around to upgrading yet), having not seen it in many years. From this writer's perspective, the Stones were smoking! Whether it was attributable to being broadcast on tv for the masses, versions of Midnight Rambler, Paint It Black, It's Only Rock and Roll,and 'Jack Flash were played with much energy and passion. For me, it was one of the last times that the Stones at least appeared to give a shit...

Atlantic City is a fantastic show, but the setlist and the band's sound was better on Hampton, imo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2011 10:46

liveatleeds
I don't like Hampton much, or really much of anything from the 81 tour. It's ok and all and sure it had 25 songs or whatever, but too many of them are weak songs, Neighbors, Little T&A, Hang Fire, She's So Cold, Imagination..etc..weak songs in the Stones catalogue, IMO. I can't stand Going to a Go Go, either. This gig does nothing for me, never did even back then. Mick's vocals are pretty lazy and sloppy and well, bad. Keith's are worse. The harmonys' are brutal. Woody is so stoned he can barely stand let alone hit the right notes.

I'd take Brussels any day over it, Leeds, or No Flash No Gimmicks or Handsome Girls (78) by a mile. Those '78 gigs blow Hampton out of the water.

Or several of the 72 boots. (Philly, Charlotte, Texas etc) The '81 (tour) was the turning point, where the Stones turned into a circus act and money making machine.

Funny. Imagination from Hampton is my definition of The Rolling Stones.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 5, 2011 13:25

I think Leeds 1971 is an average performance.

i don't think there's any GREAT boot from the 1972 US Tour either.

Brussels is perfection, but Perth/Sydney 1973 are simply rock 'n Roll brilliance for 1973. These are my best boots.

I have always had a soft spot for the US 1969 tour...if Altamont soundboard or any MSG show soundboard surfaced then they would take No. 1

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 5, 2011 13:38

deardoctortake1

The 12/19 show does circulate, as an audience recording in VG sound. I have it on tape.

Oh,...donĀ“t tell stone-relics about...grinning smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 5, 2011 15:18

Mathijs

Funny. Imagination from Hampton is my definition of The Rolling Stones.

Mathijs

Funny how in the video Mick is the one who breaks a guitar string and can't seem to figure out what to do with it dangling there. I just love how he continually tries to end the song by approaching Keith and Ronnie. But they wouldn't have none of it. Keith probably figured it was his birthday and felt like jamming it out. Plus I also think they wanted to give Mick a workout and show him guitar playing is hard work too.

You can see them sort laughing about it at the end of the song. Mick's expression and laughter kind of confirm that from his perspective as well. A brilliant piece of work.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 5, 2011 16:20

I've downloaded the Hampton 81 Dec. 18 SBD (Twenty Flight Rock VGP 270) yesterday but haven't listened to it yet. Is the boot I downloaded a good one?

Date: January 5, 2011 16:39

deardoctortake1
there was a 12/19 show that doesn't circulate - so yeah, it's the 12/18 (keef's 38th) show that we're talking about. the audio should be good on the boot dvd, assuming it's sourced properly.

The 12/19 show does circulate, as an audience recording in VG sound. I have it on tape.[/quote]

One can download the 81/12/19 audience from IORR Buy/Sell/Trade section very easily.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2011 16:57

kleermaker
I've downloaded the Hampton 81 Dec. 18 SBD (Twenty Flight Rock VGP 270) yesterday but haven't listened to it yet. Is the boot I downloaded a good one?

YES it beats the old TSP cd by a few kilometers.

Date: January 5, 2011 17:07

I don't consider a pay-per-view broadcast a true bootleg.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2011 17:10

Winning Ugly VXII
I don't consider a pay-per-view broadcast a true bootleg.

what's a true bootleg?

Date: January 5, 2011 17:16

It's a bootleg if you didn't pay winking smiley

Date: January 5, 2011 17:18

dcba
kleermaker

Thanks dcba. Then I have the best 'version' I guess.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 5, 2011 17:20

Brussels - my a HUGE margin

Date: January 5, 2011 17:20

DandelionPowderman
It's a bootleg if you didn't pay winking smiley

oh. well, everything's a bootleg nowadays, then....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 5, 2011 19:23

I'm guessing it can have something to with age, which video (or audio) you prefer, the 72`or the 81`one. If you are 50+ there is, perhaps, a greater chanse that you prefer the 72` one. Hampton is, probably, more prefered by the 40+ audience?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 5, 2011 21:02

<<Funny. Imagination from Hampton is my definition of The Rolling Stones.>>

All I can say about this comment is WOW! UMT is an effective performance, but a little bit of the "Whip" sound goes a long way with me. It is musical fluff, but it's fun.

Date: January 5, 2011 21:36

I just saw SAL - I wonder about those teen-models close to the stage: Do they prefer Hampton or Brussels? What do you think?

Date: January 5, 2011 21:44

Stoneage
I just saw SAL - I wonder about those teen-models close to the stage: Do they prefer Hampton or Brussels? What do you think?

listen now - these were hand-selected models who looked great, yes, but they were put through a rigorous interview process that ensured they were authentic stones fans with a pedigree of which any of us would be proud to boast.

Date: January 5, 2011 21:53

Of course that's right, Tod! They are probably all real purists then and prefers the 72`version with Mick Taylor. Which contradicts my age-theory above!

Date: January 5, 2011 21:57

Stoneage
Of course that's right, Tod! They are probably all real purists then and prefers the 72`version with Mick Taylor. Which contradicts my age-theory above!

correct. just cos you got a purty face and a nice rack doesn't mean you don't sing turd on the run to yourself in the shower, you know.

Posted by: django ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:30

kleermaker
dcba
kleermaker

Thanks dcba. Then I have the best 'version' I guess.

Yes, you have. The VGP 270 has the best quality (after the old vinyl as I mentioned before).

Date: January 5, 2011 23:37

Is it speed corrected?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:48

From my experience ALL the VGP boots are carefully speed-corrected. There might be exceptions but overall they did a great job
(for ex. some of the old/1990's IMP label titles had terrible issues with tape speed).

Posted by: django ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:50

DandelionPowderman
Is it speed corrected?

I am pretty sure that it has the right speed.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 6, 2011 00:40

How cool is this! Check out Mick strolling and singing in the audience:

Let Me Go

Date: January 6, 2011 00:49

Another reason is that Keith looked fantastic in his suspenders and white shirt with the black Tele; fuc*in rockstar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2011 23:07

Must be something about an end of tour gig that gets them jazzed. Their oiled up and hot from the road and happy to go home for the holidays. Saw such a gig at Dodger Stadium in 2006.

Date: January 6, 2011 23:10

24FPS
Must be something about an end of tour gig that gets them jazzed.

or the cameras....

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home