Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: 10 reasons why 1981 Hampton is the best Stones boot ever
Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 05:28

1981? Best Stones ever? I think not!

SOUL

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 1, 2012 05:31

soulsurvivor1
1981? Best Stones ever? I think not!

SOUL

Not ever...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 1, 2012 05:59

Well state your case then. I stated mine. What is better and why?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 1, 2012 14:36

The Sicilian
Mick Taylor's guitar sound is sometimes annoying

The Sicilian
4. Ian Stewart on piano, Ernie Watts on sax.

you think Taylor is annoying on Brussels, and you love Ernie Watts sax playing on Hampton ????!!!!

each to their own i guess....

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 14:49

The Sicilian
IMO this is the best Stones boot that I have heard so far. It is almost the perfect boot.

1. A 25 song setlist

2. An absolutely fantastic board mixing job. The guitars were high in the mix, Bill was heavy in front, singing was blended in beautifully. Only Charlie is slightly muddled.

3. Keith singing backup vocals on many tracks and you can hear him.

4. Ian Stewart on piano, Ernie Watts on sax.

5. The best lead and rhythm guitar playing and sound that I've ever heard.

6. A 10 minute version of "Imagination" and the best I've ever heard.

7. 8 songs from the 60's catalog, 5 songs from "Some Girls" and 6 songs from "Tattoo You".

8. Happy Birthday serenade Keith from Mick and the "T & A" false start.

9. Great versions of many songs including "Shattered", "Neighbors", "LSTNT", "TIOMS" and others.

10. A beautiful flow from beginning to end that sounds just fantastic on a good system. If your not blown away after listening to this ... This may be the Rolling Stones at their peak.

This is one of those shows that would be on the must see list. I saw them in San Diego in 1981. It just gives you chills to hear it. A masterpiece of a show.
It's your opinion man , but if you prefer Ernie Watts to Mick Taylor we don't like the same band...

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 1, 2012 16:06

That band line up with Woody, Stu and Mac is about the best they had, outside of the Brian Jones years. The only true Stones line up has been with Brian. Too bad we don't have better boots with Brian, that's where it's at. 1969 on is something entirely different. No more "Natural Magic".

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:09

DandelionPowderman
What's missing in the Hampton show is Taylor. His lyrical, subtle and feminine touches

Bollocks! They were a different band in 1981, different personnel, different sound. I doubt MT would have added anything to the overall sound, afterall this was post punk 1981 not 1972/73.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:26

keith56
It's your opinion man , but if you prefer Ernie Watts to Mick Taylor we don't like the same band...

I don't know how that comparison made it into the discussion but those are two different things entirely.

Ernie Watts is an internationally known musician with two grammys as an instrumentalist. He has played entensively with Buddy Rich, Doc Severinsen, Marvin Gaye, Frank Zappa, and Charlie Haden to name a few. He is no street corner hack. I think he brings a different energy and sound to the 1981 tour.

I think with Brussels, Mick Taylor's tone is in conflict with Keith's. Since the original boots have the guitars high in the mix it is quite easy to hear every note. IMO Keith and Mick Taylor are not (tone wise) on the same page. When I listen to Brussels that was my first impression from "Brown Sugar" on. It is so obvious that it kind of distracts the listening, those competing guitars ruin the flow for me. But they do have their moments though. Ex. the solo on YCAGWYW.

Date: February 1, 2012 17:32

My favorite from this album has always been Keith doing T&A. Great rocking rendition. I haven't heard the album since I got rid of my old LPS lang ago.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:41

The Sicilian
keith56

I don't know how that comparison made it into the discussion but those are two different things entirely.

Ernie Watts is an internationally known musician with two grammys as an instrumentalist. He has played entensively with Buddy Rich, Doc Severinsen, Marvin Gaye, Frank Zappa, and Charlie Haden to name a few. He is no street corner hack. I think he brings a different energy and sound to the 1981 tour.

I think with Brussels, Mick Taylor's tone is in conflict with Keith's. Since the original boots have the guitars high in the mix it is quite easy to hear every note. IMO Keith and Mick Taylor are not (tone wise) on the same page. When I listen to Brussels that was my first impression from "Brown Sugar" on. It is so obvious that it kind of distracts the listening, those competing guitars ruin the flow for me. But they do have their moments though. Ex. the solo on YCAGWYW.

ernie was the glue to the tour. he provides the "signature" to it. an amazing musician who adapted to rock'n'roll in a very impressive way...not something just any jazzman can do so "effortlessly." you listen to ernie's jazz work, which i love, and you listen to him on the stones tour and you hear two entirely different musicians. quite amazing.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 1, 2012 19:37

OK, I just bought hampton and am listening to it right now. No complaints! Maybe it's not as "magical" a show as Brussells '73 but it's damn good. Rocking out to Imagination at the moment! smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home