Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: 10 reasons why 1981 Hampton is the best Stones boot ever
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 4, 2011 15:47

Greenblues
Sicilian, I agree that Hampton '81 is a fantastic show. But concerning the best bootleg there are several equally strong or preferrable contenders IMO. And, just to spoil the party a little bit, I don't like the sound of this particular bootleg (the old Swinging Pig version) - they boosted the treble too much, I guess, which is the reason why I almost never play it all the way through. In this respect I prefer other '81 boots to Hampton, like Boulder (an earlier and possibly musically weaker, but damn exiting show)or the shows from "Ride Like The Wind". So, understanding "the best bootleg" in terms of the best overall package, I happily disagree with you.

P.S. My favourite track from Hampton is "When The Whip Comes Down". It goes on and on and on, and you gotta love every second of it.

This is the beauty of the show. They came to play and play they did. The songs were played with passion and no need to end them for the sake of getting the show over.

I thought the "Some Girls" numbers were in top form. They played those songs the way they were meant to be played. Heavy and raw. They took a punk and sassy album to a new level live. BTW, that is exactly how "Some Girls" comes off for me, raw with lots of treble.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 4, 2011 16:08

Excluding the treble issue, I absolutely share your passion for this show. It must have been one of those evenings...

Date: January 4, 2011 16:25

A great lead in to the start of the show, a fantastic introduction, audience interaction, then "Under My Thumb" explodes on stage after the extended opening bars. Then if your not excited enough already, they beat the hell out of you with "Whip".

After Mick encourages everyone to light the joints, "LSTNT" rocks the house. The best part of this song if you listen you can hear quite clearly Ian Stewart pounding the piano giving the number the boogie. Just awesome.

Then the best version of "Shattered" (that I've heard) to reassure everyone that this is gonna be a rocking show....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:00

ryanpow
Im a big fan of hampton but One thing Ive noticed about 81 in general is that some of the songs sound pretty ragged, Like LIB, She's So cold and Start Me Up.

ummm....and this is a good thing? bad thing? it IS the stones we're talking about here, you realize....

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:41

Oh man, how much better Jagger sang during the 78 tour. The 78 tour also has lots more energy and better Wood solos. Alle the versions of the Some Girls songs were better in 1978. And just go ahead and compare All Down The Line from 1978 to that of 1981. 78 hands down. Same goes for HTW and Tumbling Dice. The latter is a joke in 1981 as they were clearly tired of it by then. Mind, Jagger sang lots better at the start of the 1981 tour (try Seattle); much more like during the 1978 tour, rawer, tougher, more energetic. I don't dislike Hampton/the 1981 tour; I just think it's overrated. Particularly in this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-04 17:41 by Anderson.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 18:02

pmk251
After the LA Coliseum show in '81 my waning interest in the band diminished further. I would not see the band again for 18 years. It wasn't just the music or the songs, it was the vibe of the occasion, the whole spectacle of the thing. The artist/audience relationship was completely reversed. The audience was not coming to the band. The band was coming to the audience. It was designed to be exciting. It was meant to please. It was hugely impersonal. If you think it was musically proficient, fine. That sound is not one I embrace. It is too disposable. When Taylor plays his solo on LIV in L&G I am enthralled. Is there a more compelling moment in that movie? In '81 you got a very pedestrian and cynical Black Limosine. For me the vibrancy and immediacy of the playing in '69-'73 is well worth any perceived low points. The moments of absolute brilliance during that time will remain as the band's most enduring music.

Contrary to this, I think the early 70's show are far more "impersonal" than the late 70's/early 80's...I mean, depending on what is your definition of the word. On the 81 tour the audience seemed to be much more connected with the band, and what's the problem with it being meant to be exciting, it's a rock'n' roll show. Mick Jagger once said something like: I want the audience to have fun, not to stand there in awe.

Date: January 4, 2011 18:32

stones78
Mick Jagger once said something like: I want the audience to have fun, not to stand there in awe.

hmmm...but it's fun to stand there in awe.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:22

StonesTod
stones78
Mick Jagger once said something like: I want the audience to have fun, not to stand there in awe.

In 1973 I sat there in awe, in 1976 I stood there having fun, in 1982 I sat there without any awe or fun. A downhill ride in 10 years.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:28

In 1973 I sat there in awe, in 1976 I left after 4 songs in shock an awe.cool smiley

Date: January 4, 2011 19:33

kleermaker
StonesTod
stones78

In 1973 I sat there in awe, in 1976 I stood there having fun, in 1982 I sat there without any awe or fun. A downhill ride in 10 years.

this is why we have drugs and alcohol. don't leave home without them.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:44

So, when we're talking about the '81 Hampton show, we're talking about the same one that was broadcast live? There was only one Hampton show? I ask because there's a Flea Market I go to that usually has the show available on DVD. Is this indeed the one and only '81 Hampton show? Is the audio good for the '81 broadcast? It would seem that if I could choose between getting a CD of the show, or a DVD I would want the DVD, as long as the audio is good.

Date: January 4, 2011 19:46

24FPS
So, when we're talking about the '81 Hampton show, we're talking about the same one that was broadcast live? There was only one Hampton show? I ask because there's a Flea Market I go to that usually has the show available on DVD. Is this indeed the one and only '81 Hampton show? Is the audio good for the '81 broadcast? It would seem that if I could choose between getting a CD of the show, or a DVD I would want the DVD, as long as the audio is good.

there was a 12/19 show that doesn't circulate - so yeah, it's the 12/18 (keef's 38th) show that we're talking about. the audio should be good on the boot dvd, assuming it's sourced properly.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:51

kleermaker
StonesTod
stones78

ya ya ya, this is your 284th post with your opinion about Wood. For this new year: Duly noted, thank you.

Mathijs
ps you didn't even listen or watch this gig, so give us a break.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:52

How can anyone not like this? Listen to Bill!:

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:55

24FPS

this is the boot i have...great audio.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:55

Here's 12 reasons why it's not: "Hawaii '66"..."San Diego '69"..."Oakland '69"..."Leeds '71"..."Ft. Worth72"..."Charlotte '72"...Philadelphia '72"..."Perth '73"..."Sydney '73"..."Brussels '73"..."L.A. '75"...."Handsome Girls '78"

Date: January 4, 2011 20:01

sweet neo con
24FPS

this is the boot i have...great audio.

you'd think on a boot dvd they'd use pics on the artwork from the actual show. how hard can that be?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 4, 2011 20:15

StonesTod

you'd think on a boot dvd they'd use pics on the artwork from the actual show. how hard can that be?

some do...some don't.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: RiverStone ()
Date: January 4, 2011 21:35

Here people talks about Brussels Aff.. If it is the beeest boot.. Why there's no dvd from it??
Salutes.

PS: I love the 81 TOUR. It's my favourite ¡¡

Date: January 4, 2011 21:51

RiverStone
Here people talks about Brussels Aff.. If it is the beeest boot.. Why there's no dvd from it??

and by extension of this logic, if BMW makes the best cars, why don't they make spaceships?

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: January 4, 2011 22:08

Anyone else remember the great concert review Robert Palmer had in Rolling Stone in 1981? It was the October 26 Atlanta show at the Fox Theater.

Palmer is one of my favourite music writers and this piece was pure gold. He says the show was jaw-droppingly good and describes many of the songs, then finally admits that towards the end, all he has in his notebook is stuff like "!!!!!!!!!!!!!", "holy shit!" and "@#$%&' A!" I think I still have a copy of the pages buried in a box somewhere, but I have never found it online.

(Funny thing is, I don't think I have ever heard the boot of that show!)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 5, 2011 00:36

" I don't think I have ever heard the boot of that show!"

Do yourself a favour and get the SB from the Buy/Sell/Trade section of IORR.
Warning : Chuck (below sea) Levell sat at the piano that night... sad smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 5, 2011 02:59

Stones78: thanks for posting the video. Man, they should never have released Let's Spend The Night Together as representing the 81 tour. This kicks ass. This is Wyman at his peak.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2011 03:05

...................................... ATLANTA FOX THEATER 1981 --- Dog and Cat Records DAC-029

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2011 03:24

stones78

I love it. Definitely the pinnacle of the Wood era.

Posted by: B-Flat ()
Date: January 5, 2011 03:51

stones78

Stones78, Bill is increadible! He is a rhythm machine

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 5, 2011 05:13

Although I have always liked Hampton (primarily for the sound quality), I would not consider it to be the best performance from the 1980's. I know I'll get heat from others, but I am going to go on a limb and argue that the pay per view Atlantic City 1989 blows away Hampton, Virginia for being one of the truly better performances in the last 20 years...Now before I'm crucified by the masses (I know that for many, the Steel Wheels tour marked the beginning of the end of the Rolling Stones via the Vegas styled tours), I would suggest that if you haven't watched this show in a while, please do so. I viewed it again in its entirety over the weekend (I still have a video tape of this show-I haven't gotten around to upgrading yet), having not seen it in many years. From this writer's perspective, the Stones were smoking! Whether it was attributable to being broadcast on tv for the masses, versions of Midnight Rambler, Paint It Black, It's Only Rock and Roll,and 'Jack Flash were played with much energy and passion. For me, it was one of the last times that the Stones at least appeared to give a shit...

Date: January 5, 2011 05:21

Hampton 1981 First seven songs:

Intro - Stage Opening - Under My Thumb

When The Whip Comes Down

Let's Spend The Night Together

Shattered

Neighbors

Black Limousine

Just My Imagination

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: January 5, 2011 05:28

there was a 12/19 show that doesn't circulate - so yeah, it's the 12/18 (keef's 38th) show that we're talking about. the audio should be good on the boot dvd, assuming it's sourced properly.[/quote]

The 12/19 show does circulate, as an audience recording in VG sound. I have it on tape.

Date: January 5, 2011 05:40

If there are any doubts about this show, these seven songs should seal the deal. And there is still 18 songs to go!

I strongly urge anyone who hasn't seen the best version ever of "Imagination" to watch this one. This is one of their best performances period as a group. Ernie Watts just carries rhythm, Bill is at his best, Charlie is just loving it, and Keith and Ron refuse to end the song. Mick just plays along. By the end they all are sweating profusely and exhausted. Just magnificent!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home