Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: 10 reasons why 1981 Hampton is the best Stones boot ever
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 3, 2011 19:52

slewan
I'm not really sure but I always got the impression that the first CD runs a little bit too fast

hate it when that happens, but i've learned to just listen more slowly and it works out ok.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 3, 2011 19:59

StonesTod
slewan
I'm not really sure but I always got the impression that the first CD runs a little bit too fast

hate it when that happens, but i've learned to just listen more slowly and it works out ok.

If the mountain doesn't come to Moses then Moses has to come to the mountain.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 3, 2011 19:59

After the LA Coliseum show in '81 my waning interest in the band diminished further. I would not see the band again for 18 years. It wasn't just the music or the songs, it was the vibe of the occasion, the whole spectacle of the thing. The artist/audience relationship was completely reversed. The audience was not coming to the band. The band was coming to the audience. It was designed to be exciting. It was meant to please. It was hugely impersonal. If you think it was musically proficient, fine. That sound is not one I embrace. It is too disposable. When Taylor plays his solo on LIV in L&G I am enthralled. Is there a more compelling moment in that movie? In '81 you got a very pedestrian and cynical Black Limosine. For me the vibrancy and immediacy of the playing in '69-'73 is well worth any perceived low points. The moments of absolute brilliance during that time will remain as the band's most enduring music.

Date: January 3, 2011 20:02

pmk251
After the LA Coliseum show in '81 my waning interest in the band diminished further. I would not see the band again for 18 years. It wasn't just the music or the songs, it was the vibe of the occasion, the whole spectacle of the thing. The artist/audience relationship was completely reversed. The audience was not coming to the band. The band was coming to the audience. It was designed to be exciting. It was meant to please. It was hugely impersonal. If you think it was musically proficient, fine. That sound is not one I embrace. It is too disposable. When Taylor plays his solo on LIV in L&G I am enthralled. Is there a more compelling moment in that movie? In '81 you got a very pedestrian and cynical Black Limosine. For me the vibrancy and immediacy of the playing in '69-'73 is well worth any perceived low points. The moments of absolute brilliance during that time will remain as the band's most enduring music.

that's a good post and an interesting and thought-provoking perspective.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 3, 2011 20:30

kleermaker
StonesTod
slewan

Muhammad, not Moses. You should start to be afraid for the safety after such not politically correct error

Date: January 3, 2011 20:34

proudmary
kleermaker
StonesTod
slewan

Muhammad, not Moses. You should start to be afraid for the safety after such not politically correct error

In Dutch it's usually Moses. But let's say M. Must be satisfying for all parties.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 3, 2011 20:57

kleermaker
proudmary
kleermaker
StonesTod
slewan

In Dutch it's usually Moses. But let's say M. Must be satisfying for all parties.

Amen

Date: January 3, 2011 21:14

Moses. LOL! Good one, kleermaker thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2011 23:19

slewan
I'm not really sure but I always got the impression that the first CD runs a little bit too fast (at least on the Swinging Pig release). That might add to the impression of a high energy show

Most releases actually run a little too slow, with some vinyl albums even slowed down to Eflat.

Mathijs

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: January 3, 2011 23:23

Mathijs
The Sicilian
IMO this is the best Stones boot that I have heard so far. It is almost the perfect boot.

1. A 25 song setlist

2. An absolutely fantastic board mixing job. The guitars were high in the mix, Bill was heavy in front, singing was blended in beautifully. Only Charlie is slightly muddled.

3. Keith singing backup vocals on many tracks and you can hear him.

4. Ian Stewart on piano, Ernie Watts on sax.

5. The best lead and rhythm guitar playing and sound that I've ever heard.

6. A 10 minute version of "Imagination" and the best I've ever heard.

7. 8 songs from the 60's catalog, 5 songs from "Some Girls" and 6 songs from "Tattoo You".

8. Happy Birthday serenade Keith from Mick and the "T & A" false start.

9. Great versions of many songs including "Shattered", "Neighbors", "LSTNT", "TIOMS" and others.

10. A beautiful flow from beginning to end that sounds just fantastic on a good system. If your not blown away after listening to this ... This may be the Rolling Stones at their peak.

This is one of those shows that would be on the must see list. I saw them in San Diego in 1981. It just gives you chills to hear it. A masterpiece of a show.

I couldn't agree more, it just is a fabulous concert, and indeed probably their best gig ever. You missed on point though: Jagger is at his absolute best, both his vocals and as a frontman.

Mathijs
yes yes yes!

Date: January 4, 2011 01:07

StonesTod
pmk251

that's a good post and an interesting and thought-provoking perspective.

It's more than a good post, it's a great one and very recognizable as well. Pmk251 almost always voices my thoughts and opinions better than I can do myself anyway.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:13

theanchorman
The Sicilian
4. Ian Stewart on piano, Ernie Watts on sax.

I prefer Hopkins & Keys in 72'

Ernie Watts was the wrong guy for the sax job. Hampton is ok. Good song selection, Bill is great. But "their best gig ever"? Not by a longshot. No show with that line up was the best gig ever. Sorry.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:18

Where can I download this show at it's highest quality?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-04 13:18 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:28

I'm sorry 71 Tele, but I do just love Ernie's sax-playing: very melodic and fluid and it keeps them on track (in contrast to Keith's clowning about). That's what I like about the 81-82 tour: the swinging rythm-section, the soulful sax of Ernie's and jagger as the obvious center of attention. The bad thing about Hampton is Keith's "solos" that almost destroys a couple of songs. I don't mind the 80´s clothes either; better than the 72´s spandex and glitter.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:33

stone-relics
I promised to never post here again, but with this thread, I had to. This show was TERRIBLE..one of the worst of the tour. I saw a bunch of them on that tour. That night was horrible. The next night was a thousand times better...and I have the tape and video to prove it. And NO, you ALLEN KLEIN hating bastards, you cant have it.

Plus, no one in their right mind would EVER compare the 81 tour with the rest of their legacy...heck, on a bad night in mid 2000's blows 18 Dec. 1981 away...You folks need some tapes...

So, to HELL with all of you! I will see you there...

JR

Welcome back...but as long as you´re sitting on your Dec.19th tapes nothing´s been proved...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 4, 2011 03:44

Stoneage
I'm sorry 71 Tele, but I do just love Ernie's sax-playing: very melodic and fluid and it keeps them on track (in contrast to Keith's clowning about). That's what I like about the 81-82 tour: the swinging rythm-section, the soulful sax of Ernie's and jagger as the obvious center of attention. The bad thing about Hampton is Keith's "solos" that almost destroys a couple of songs. I don't mind the 80´s clothes either; better than the 72´s spandex and glitter.

We just disagree about Ernie. I think he sounds much too "smooth jazz" for the Stones and does not have the barrelhouse growl that they need. Ernie was just not in his element with them. Really though, my verdict on that tour: Too Much Coke

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 4, 2011 04:35

I don't disagree with you there: the "nose-powder" doesn't exactly enhance their playing... . What a foolish business for grown men to be occupied with!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 4, 2011 07:05

Has always been my favorite boot ever...always enjoyed the performance, plus the circumstances surrounding the show. I was 16 at the time and was just becoming a hardcore Stones fan...I taped the concert off of KMET 94.7 ('The Mighty Met') here in Los Angeles and proceeded to play the heck out of it for the next year. I still have those cassettes today, and they still sound great!

Funny thing was, I didn't see the show until 10 years later when I bought a VHS copy at a swap meet...it was bizarre watching the performances I had only heard for all those years.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 4, 2011 08:23

Im a big fan of hampton but One thing Ive noticed about 81 in general is that some of the songs sound pretty ragged, Like LIB, She's So cold and Start Me Up.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 4, 2011 09:35

I think the '81 tour in general was the band and it's audience celebrating its past. With Lennon dead, Zeppelin gone, the 70s over, and the 60s definitely over,
it seemed to me that the Stones were out to have their first "fun" tour. All the dark songs like Shelter, Rambler, Sympathy, Love In Vain, Heartbreaker were nowhere to be found, it was all fun, upbeat tunes played on a pastel stage.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 4, 2011 10:01

kleermaker
proudmary
kleermaker
StonesTod
slewan

Si tu ne viens pas à Lagardère, Lagardère ira à toi !grinning smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 4, 2011 10:21

Date: January 4, 2011 10:27

Stoneage

That's a very surprising take on it, Stoneage. IMO, Keith's solo playing is stronger than ever on the Hampton show (LSTNT, UMT, WTWCD, TIOMS, LMG among others). + they kept four songs for the live album - that tells me that they were happy with their performance, too.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 4, 2011 12:00

certainly their best show of the 1981/82 tour (think we all agree on this).
Mick is fantastic during this show....love the start of the show.

to me though, there's better shows during the glory years...less posing and less Mick dreadful growling vocals, and less annoying sax!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2011 14:45

What I like about Hampton is that it remains fairly modern and contemporary. The band as is playing here could just have played or toured last week, if you see through Jagger's 80's clothing. It's a modern version of the Stones, with modern songs. And as much as I like the Taylor years, the shows they did from '69 to '73 are, in my very humble opinion, typical 70's rock shows and quite dated. The pace of the shows is slow, they're quite moody sounding, Taylor is playing long solo's, it's all very, very early 70's. That was my main feeling after seeing L&G in the cinema -man, this is dated, and it has come 15 years too late for me. It's like seeing Elvis in his jumpsuit and Vegas -great singer, but man it didn't age very well.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-04 17:06 by Mathijs.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 14:50

Mathijs
What I like about Hampton is that it remains fairly modern and contemporary. The band as is playing here could just have played or toured last week, if you through Jagger's 80's clothing. It's a modern version of the Stones, with modern songs. And as much as I like the Taylor years, the shows they did from '69 to '73 are, in my very humble opinion, typical 70's rock shows and quite dated. The pace of the shows is slow, they're quite moody sounding, Taylor is playing long solo's, it's all very, very early 70's. That was my main feeling after seeing L&G in the cinema -man, this is dated, and it has come 15 years too late for me. It's like seeing Elvis in his jumpsuit and Vegas -great singer, but man it didn't age very well.

Mathijs

I agree.

Date: January 4, 2011 15:25

Stoneage
I'm sorry 71 Tele, but I do just love Ernie's sax-playing: very melodic and fluid and it keeps them on track (in contrast to Keith's clowning about). That's what I like about the 81-82 tour: the swinging rythm-section, the soulful sax of Ernie's and jagger as the obvious center of attention.

i concur. ernie helps provide the signature element for the tour, which was in sore need of him/it before he arrived....the tour was sounding like a mess before he solidified things

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 4, 2011 15:26

Sicilian, I agree that Hampton '81 is a fantastic show. But concerning the best bootleg there are several equally strong or preferrable contenders IMO. And, just to spoil the party a little bit, I don't like the sound of this particular bootleg (the old Swinging Pig version) - they boosted the treble too much, I guess, which is the reason why I almost never play it all the way through. In this respect I prefer other '81 boots to Hampton, like Boulder (an earlier and possibly musically weaker, but damn exiting show)or the shows from "Ride Like The Wind". So, understanding "the best bootleg" in terms of the best overall package, I happily disagree with you.

P.S. My favourite track from Hampton is "When The Whip Comes Down". It goes on and on and on, and you gotta love every second of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-04 15:34 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 4, 2011 15:31

Mathijs
That was my main feeling after seeing L&G in the cinema -man, this is dated, and it has come 15 years too late for me. It's like seeing Elvis in his jumpsuit and Vegas -great singer, but man it didn't age very well.

Mathijs

I had exactly the same feeling. In the cinema where I saw L&G there was this old hippy who started to dance in the corridors with a beer in hand when the Stones plunged into MR. A 16 y old girl in front of me - there with her father - made pictures of him with her i-Phone and I thought this summed up the museum-like quality of the screening nicely.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home