Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 13 of 18
Mick, Keith and the relationship
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 19, 2010 00:12

I just read a little bit of the excerpts of "Life" in RollingStoneMagazine. What I read was pretty good. It's well written but not accademic and it sounds like Keith. I read the part where Keith believes that Mick doesn't like when he(keith) has close friends. He argues that Mick is possessive.
Mick and Keith have said that both of them don't really address their relationship. They call it the "English way" I think and that is when friends don't tackle, face to face, issues especially if those issues are very personal and sensitive. They just brush it off and laugh at it. Meanwhile Keith is trying to understand Mick and it seems to me that he comes up with explainations, which are spychological guesses. It would be (have been) better for them to seat down and open up about their misunderstandings. Probably Mick didn't want all the druggies(Sessler and Cie) around because he knew they were potential trouble.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Mick, Keith and the relationship
Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 19, 2010 05:44

rollmops
I just read a little bit of the excerpts of "Life" in RollingStoneMagazine. What I read was pretty good. It's well written but not accademic and it sounds like Keith. I read the part where Keith believes that Mick doesn't like when he(keith) has close friends. He argues that Mick is possessive.
Mick and Keith have said that both of them don't really address their relationship. They call it the "English way" I think and that is when friends don't tackle, face to face, issues especially if those issues are very personal and sensitive. They just brush it off and laugh at it. Meanwhile Keith is trying to understand Mick and it seems to me that he comes up with explainations, which are spychological guesses. It would be (have been) better for them to seat down and open up about their misunderstandings. Probably Mick didn't want all the druggies(Sessler and Cie) around because he knew they were potential trouble.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

This is very interesting and seems to explain why they haven't bothered sitting down and really getting to the heart of their differences. A good counselor would get to the heart of the matter in no time. Counseling definitely works provided you can get the two parties to agree to commit to it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 19, 2010 06:47

Maybe they should go on Oprah or Dr. Phil.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2010 06:50

It's a cryin' shame that Dorothy Dix ain't still around .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 19, 2010 09:26

in Bill German's book, he says that Mick and and his associates specifically disliked Freddie Sessler because of his destructive influence on Keith and the consequences of that on the tour dynamics.

Keith describes hisr/ship with Mick as like husband and wife, Mick being the wife of course, but it looks to me more like parent and child.

Re: Keith Richards Reveals All About Mick Jagger And The Rolling Stones
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 19, 2010 16:10

JJFlash2010
I think that Keith is too hard on himself. Why did he choose to make those two references to Lucifer in the press recently? Jagger/Richards have both helped me in my life.

But I still think Mick wrote the better song with God Gave Me Everything. Let's see who is standing when this place is empty. Let's see what these old guys can do.

I thought Lenny Kravitz wrote that song?

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: October 19, 2010 21:02

kovach
JJFlash2010
I think that Keith is too hard on himself. Why did he choose to make those two references to Lucifer in the press recently? Jagger/Richards have both helped me in my life.

But I still think Mick wrote the better song with God Gave Me Everything. Let's see who is standing when this place is empty. Let's see what these old guys can do.

It was Jagger/Kravitz. The Being Mick video films the recording of this, and I think Kravitz said that Mick pretty much had it all down before he got to the studio.

Re: Keith is a Sagittarius. Now it's official
Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 19, 2010 21:11

I don't think Jagger minds what Keith or anyone else says about him, Why should he? When Keith said something uncomplimentary about him years ago, he said (about Keith), "He's not a happy person," and left it alone. Jagger isn't a sensitive soul, bless 'im.

Forgive me if I go wildly OT for a moment: do you think Keith will write about his and Anita's friendship with Talitha and J. Paul Getty? Did he name his second son Tara in honor of their son?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 19, 2010 21:28

Bliss

I agree 100 per cent about Anita. In Sanchez's book, she allègedly says that she could break up the band any time she wanted. She may not have broken up the band, but she did poison it. Worse than Yoko Ono.

It can be dangerous critizing Anita on a Stones message board, but its nice to know I'm not the only one who believed this. It was always obvious to me, but in the last few decades, a cult has developed over Anita, which seems to have more to do with the image than the music. These same people glorify Keith and Anita for all the wrong reasons. She was toxic in many ways. Yes, the Tarle photos are beautiful, but I've read enough Stones books and accounts to venture a guess that Anita was always the perfect host and played earth mother to visiting journalist and photographers. She knew how to get people on her side. This all sounds so conspiratorial...lol. But Anita's actions are not that hard to decipher.

Date: October 19, 2010 21:37

dcba

Yeah sure! Man good turned bad by some broad. I was talking about it the other with my buddy Chad... And this chick went to work for the U.N.
The U.N. pfewww!
(it's a tongue-in-cheek comment I make here) winking smiley

Yeah, and all those death row inmates and third world refugees! LOL...
"Society Pals" my ass.

Posted by: crazymama ()
Date: October 19, 2010 22:01

When I first heard about Keith publishing that Bio I thought that's not like him.

I wish Keith had never done "Life". We read all those stories and laments about Mick in several books and magazines for many years now. There's not so much new.

Maybe I'll read it some time, but not now. It's too disgusting getting those childish news everyday.

Though I've always been a Keith-freak. But now?

On the other hand, sure, the papers are picking up those "sensational" details of the book. There must be more to read than those Mick-stories (hopefully)...

Date: October 19, 2010 22:12

>>It can be dangerous critizing Anita on a Stones message board, but its nice to know I'm not the only one who believed this. It was always obvious to me, but in the last few decades, a cult has developed over Anita, which seems to have more to do with the image than the music. These same people glorify Keith and Anita for all the wrong reasons. She was toxic in many ways. Yes, the Tarle photos are beautiful, but I've read enough Stones books and accounts to venture a guess that Anita was always the perfect host and played earth mother to visiting journalist and photographers. She knew how to get people on her side. This all sounds so conspiratorial...lol. But Anita's actions are not that hard to decipher

As I said in an earlier post, I do not completely demonise Anita. She was the muse and collaborator for some of their very best work. Her pitting Keith and Mick against each other provided the momentum for the creative work. But I do agree with your assessment of her.

Date: October 19, 2010 22:26

I give Anita credit for being a challenge to the Stones English provincial attitudes toward women, so I do admire her. But when she points her finger, its unbecoming and arrogant. One of the things I loved most about the Stones was their women, the Anita-Marianne-Bianca trio were iconic in their own right, all fearlessly intelligent. That's not something you could say about other rock and roll bands from that era. Thier women set them apart as well as the music in many ways. Anita was the first to upset the boys'club mentality of the early Stones. But she also had a destructive streak miles wide.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-19 22:28 by stupidguy2.

Re: Keith is a jerk. Now it's official
Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 19, 2010 22:27

skipstone
Ironic, innit? Mick never says anything bad about anyone. Keith is always running his mouth about anyone. Yet they plow on...

Well said Skipstone, spot on.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 19, 2010 23:11

re Mo Tucker: WOW... Will the Tea Party movement adopt 'Sister Ray' as a semi official anthem?

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 19, 2010 23:26

Bliss
As I said in an earlier post, I do not completely demonise Anita. She was the muse and collaborator for some of their very best work. Her pitting Keith and Mick against each other provided the momentum for the creative work.

Surely they didn't need a woman nor anyone else to pit them against each other. Haven't you noticed, it's how things go: Lennon and McCartney, Page and Plant, Axl and Slash, ad infinitum. The relationship between singer and guitarist is fraught with high-tension love and rivalry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-19 23:27 by Claire_M.

Date: October 19, 2010 23:58

Claire_M

Surely they didn't need a woman nor anyone else to pit them against each other. Haven't you noticed, it's how things go: Lennon and McCartney, Page and Plant, Axl and Slash, ad infinitum. The relationship between singer and guitarist is fraught with high-tension love and rivalry.

But the power of a strong women can never be denied. I actually admire Anita's ability to control Brian and Keith. My only problem is when she starts demonizing others. And she could be quite dismissive of Shirley, Astrid and some of the other Stones wives, deriding them as "boring and conventional." Marsha Hunt said in her book that the first time Mick took her to meet Keith and Anita, she decided that she would stay away from them. Anita was a cannonball in the early days, plowing through so many male-imposed obstacles in that world. More power to her. I think that's why she resented Bianca, who was as strong as she was and not easily intimidated. By that time, heroin was starting to take its toll and it brought out, I think, the worst in Anita. What was once a strong, confident women, was by 1970, paranoid and insecure. My two favorite Stones women are Anita and Bianca, ironically, for many of the same reasons. One went one way, the other went another way, but both were dominating and difficult, mysterious and insrutable and refused to be subjugated. They are both the least likely to write a book. Ever heard of that book: "In Praise of Difficult Women"? They're fierce and scary to some people, but you don't @#$%& with them. So no, I don't demonize Anita, just some of her pettiness.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 00:03 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 20, 2010 00:08

stupidguy2
Claire_M

But the power of a strong women can never be denied. I actually admire Anita's ability to control Brian and Keith. My only problem is when she starts demonizing others. And she could be quite dismissive of Shirley, Astrid and some of the other Stones wives, deriding them as "boring and conventional." Marsha Hunt said in her book that the first time Mick took her to meet Keith and Anita, she decided that she would stay away from them. Anita was a cannonball in the early days, plowing through so many male-imposed obstacles in that world. More power to her. I think that's why she resented Bianca, who was as strong as she was and not easily intimidated. By that time, heroin was starting to take its toll and it brought out, I think, the worst in Anita. What was once a strong, confident women, was by 1970, paranoid and insecure. My two favorite Stones women are Anita and Bianca, ironically, for many of the same reasons. One went one way, the other went another way, but both were dominating and difficult, mysterious and insrutable and refused to be subjugated. They are both the least likely to write a book. Ever heard of that book: "In Praise of Difficult Women"? They're fierce and scary to some people, but you don't @#$%& with them. So no, I don't demonize Anita, just some of her pettiness.

Yes, Anita is invincible, despite all her weirdos.
I like her in "Barbarella" and espesially "Dellinger Is Dead'.

Posted by: Layladylay ()
Date: October 20, 2010 00:15

Claire_M
Bliss
As I said in an earlier post, I do not completely demonise Anita. She was the muse and collaborator for some of their very best work. Her pitting Keith and Mick against each other provided the momentum for the creative work.

Yeah that`s it in a nut shell, uh no pun intended. When they were making their greatest music they were close. Gimme Shelter movie footage is precious evidence. Through the next several years their symbiosis creatively remains unmatched. By the earliest 80s everythings fracturing creatively in tandem with their personal distance and issues. Dispassionately and critically according to what I listen to...I`m like everyone else mostly. 1964 to 1980 with beautiful beautiful work after Taylor left into 80ish. Exactly rising and falling with their mutual respect, reliance and working affection for each other personally. The proof is in the grooves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 12:10 by Layladylay.

Date: October 20, 2010 00:38

Layladylay
Claire_M
Bliss
I`m like everyone else mostly. 1964 to 1980 with beautiful beautiful work after Taylor left into 80ish. Exactly rising and falling with their mutual respect, reliance and working affection for each other personally. The proof is in the grooves.

True,
Though I will give credit to a few gems here and there post-81 (like moments on Undercover) that period is the Stones for me. I doubt we'll see any revisonist contemplations - ala Rock and Roll Circus, Ya Yas, Exile, Ladies and Gentlemen, or expressed affectionate fondness for Goats and IORR etc - for latter day Stones.
It just ain't going to happen with Dirty Work, Steel Wheels and beyond, no matter how many years go by. Not to be cynical, but the Stones stopped being the Stones around 1980, 81.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 00:41 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 04:20

TrulyMicks
kovach
JJFlash2010

It was Jagger/Kravitz. The Being Mick video films the recording of this, and I think Kravitz said that Mick pretty much had it all down before he got to the studio.

All this gossip about Mick and Keith makes me kind of sad. We have no idea of knowing how these two guys really get along, but their music has truly helped me in my life. Without the music of the Stones, I think we'd all be a little less free, free to shake our asses, to rock n' roll, to get it all out. I think the world at large would be a lot more inhibited if not for the Stones. I really believe that. So, Jagger/Richards, get over yourselves, make a new album and tour again! Your fans want more Stones!

Date: October 20, 2010 08:22

I must be lucky. Of the new material, I find a lot to love in Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels and Bridges to Babylon, as well as in Mick and Keith's solo albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 09:02 by Bliss.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 20, 2010 08:50

Yes Bliss, and for me I would add Stripped,ABB,and the Exile reissue.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2010 12:02

Bliss
I must be lucky. Of the new material, I find a lot to love in Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels and Bridges to Babylon, as well as in Mick and Keith's solo albums.

Yes you are if that is anything to do with luck. I know a guy who is lucky to love Bon Jovigrinning smiley. Since TATTOO YOU I find only the solo albums and STRIPPED somehow interesting. In every Stones album since UNDERCOVER there is some nice songs but mostly it is way too obvious, mediocre, muse-free and uninspired music to really pay attention to. Jagger's WANDERING SPIRIT (and to an extent PRIMITIVE COOL) and Keith's TALK IS CHEAP are creatively almost masterpieces compared to post-TATTOO Stones albums. I would even claim that much bashed - for a reason - GODDESSS album is way more rewarding listening experience than no any creative brain cells used pastishe album called A BIGGER BANG.

I think the most important thing to notice is that both Mick and Keith are able to do more interesting and challenging music alone than together. I think that speaks volumes of their creative co-work since the late 70's.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 12:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 20, 2010 12:40

Doxa
Yes you are if that is anything to do with luck. I know a guy who is lucky to love Bon Jovigrinning smiley. Since TATTOO YOU I find only the solo albums and STRIPPED somehow interesting. In every Stones album since UNDERCOVER there is some nice songs but mostly it is way too obvious, mediocre, muse-free and uninspired music to really pay attention to. Jagger's WANDERING SPIRIT (and to an extent PRIMITIVE COOL) and Keith's TALK IS CHEAP are creatively almost masterpieces compared to post-TATTOO Stones albums. I would even claim that much bashed - for a reason - GODDESSS album is way more rewarding listening experience than no any creative brain cells used pastishe album called A BIGGER BANG.

I think the most important thing to notice is that both Mick and Keith are able to do more interesting and challenging music alone than together. I think that speaks volumes of their creative co-work since the late 70's.

- Doxa

Tastes are tastes. On my book Talk and Offender are great albums, Boss is a good one, Spirit, Cool and Goddess match perfectly your definition of ABB. Voodoo, just like Spirit, sounds cool but doesn't get me. B2B and Abb are no masterpieces but, just like Ronnie's latest, they are both very good albums (on the long run ABB is better). So my point is, if you like Cool more than Bang, fine. But there is no objectiveness in saying that one is inspired and the other is a turd!

C

Date: October 20, 2010 13:10

Yes, Doxa, I do feel fortunate that I am able to see the beauty in and derive pleasure from the Stones' output post-1971.

Date: October 20, 2010 14:20

liddas
Doxa

- Doxa

Tastes are tastes. On my book Talk and Offender are great albums, Boss is a good one, Spirit, Cool and Goddess match perfectly your definition of ABB. Voodoo, just like Spirit, sounds cool but doesn't get me. B2B and Abb are no masterpieces but, just like Ronnie's latest, they are both very good albums (on the long run ABB is better). So my point is, if you like Cool more than Bang, fine. But there is no objectiveness in saying that one is inspired and the other is a turd!

C

What??!! And I thought I have an objective taste... eye popping smiley.... well, each of us has an own ultimate court of art jugdements... But no matter how relative it is, I think one needs to have a lot of wild imagination to claim that A BIGGER BANG is an inspired album...

Seriously, I am always interested on the reasons why someone happen to like something. For myself SHE'S THE BOSS was a bit disappointment because it sounded too much like a compromise between Rolling Stones music and some contempoarary hit music; I thought - and still do - that Jagger should have taken more riskies and drift more far from his typical Stones vocabulary. The result was just 'softened Stones rock'. By contrast, I think PRIMIIVE COOL is much better album, and he really challenged himself and his listeners. I think it is his best solo album actually. (I know I'm quite alone with this opinion). That's the very last time I think Jagger was musically innovative. There he, for example, created the voice and way to sing he has used ever since. WANDERING SPIRIT is a bit too retro but I like its basic idea of Mick showing how he can cope with almost any kind of musical style. GODDESS was a PRIMITIVE COOL vol 2, only much worse in every sense. Clearly his weakest effort (but like said, still far better than a dull A BIGGER BANG).

I think WANDERING SPIRIT is better, more interesting and way more authentic album than VOODOO LOUNGE, which I take to be a real retro album: The Stones going through the styles they used to do whereas in WANDERING SPIRIT Jagger is not referring to The Stones history or vocabulary but directly to different musical styles; it really sounds like it is Mick Jagger varying there with different musical styles, showing his take on them. I think there is nothing so great and authentic in VOODOO LOUNGE as "Evening Gown - (nor "Hate It When You Leave" if we include Keef, too).

I would also say that The Stones albums suffered from the solo careers because I think both Mick and Keith used their best songs in their solo projects. (This also might be based on that the guys simply were more inspired and needed to work harder in their solo offerings.) Therefore I rate BRIDGES over VOODOO LOUNGE beacuse there Mick and Keith seem to have worked separately and just, roughly, put two solo albums togeher. Thereby is no wonder "Saint of Me" or "Out of Control" or, say, "Thief In The Night" or "How Can I Stop" are about the best individual songs in the Stones albums since, say, Pathe Marconi days.

But tastes are tastes.smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-20 14:29 by Doxa.

Date: October 20, 2010 14:21

Bliss
Yes, Doxa, I do feel fortunate that I am able to see the beauty in and derive pleasure from the Stones' output post-1971.

Post-1983 winking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Layladylay ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:43

I appreciate VL and feel it filled with lovely fresh energy and intent. A return to original LITTLE gems like BRAND NEW CAR and MOON IS UP. Mick in NEW FACES actually a confessional i Thought Mick would never bring. On point tho I don"t know if the Twins were feeling comparatively easier about each other. Surely these once innovators are going to come up with isolated tracks that are noteworthy but the point stands in that their power as transcendant artists on the level of SATISFACTION and a diamond mine of gems thru mid late 70s is an abysmal decline in exact tandem with their personal relationship. Comparing ANY SOLO ALBUM with the Rollin(g) Stones albums through 72 and, generously, throuh 80, is almost a sad attempt to love two guys who do not work together and are not close to half as powerful or engaging or important or relevant to a band with 4 originals plus Ron or M. Taylor or Brian and Stu. The drop off of quality is dizzying. Neither individual remotely the quality of the band. When the drugs dysfunction and hate had their cumulative effect on these battling millionaire ego trippers the magic of the phenomenon went to sleep

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 20, 2010 16:48

what´s wrong? we are talking about brand new car and moon is up??? yawning smiley

could we please return to taking about micks genital. tongue sticking out smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 13 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home