Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The Official 2008 WHO Tour Thread
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 23, 2008 18:41

There's a day off now before Boston tomorrow night!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 23, 2008 18:44

Hello,

Here is PT doing his bit for the youth of er,1985?

Best of luck to everyone trying for an Indigo2 ticket tomorrow.

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 24, 2008 05:57

I noticed a guy at the show the other night wearing a skeleton jacket, an obvious homage to the famous skeleton suit worn by Entwistle at the Isle of Wight in 1970. I said to my wife, "THAT is a John Entwistle fan. I gotta go talk to this guy". Turns out he's the bass player in a Who tribute band. Here's their web site:

[www.livethewho.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-24 06:04 by tatters.

Date: October 24, 2008 07:00

Overall good setlists and reviews, thanks!
The current setlist looks like a combination of the shows I saw in 2004 & 2006 with a couple of additions.

Nice to see that they dropped "You Better You Bet" but keeping "Eminence Front" and then adding "Sister Disco" (Hmmm...I thought we said Goodbye to Sister Disco a long long time ago?) weaken the setlist in my humble opinion.

Their shows are notoriously hit or miss. When they are on and the sound is right, The Who rule. But when the sound isn't too great, which happens often so I hear, then fans can be dissapointed.

I was hoping they'd play here in Honolulu again but that leaves about a month between the Japan shows and the London gigs and they haven't announced a show here yet for November so it doesn't look too promising as of now.
I hope so, but the announcement would have to come very soon.

Anyway, for those of you who see The Who in concert, enjoy...and I hope you catch them on a great sounding night with great energy!
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Oh...also...for some reason I never get bored with The Who's "warhorses" i.e. Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Can't Explain, Pinball Wizard...
They still pack the same ol' punch in concert and the songs don't come off as pure filler or going through the motions to kill time like the Stones JJF, HTW, and Brown Sugar do...at least to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-24 07:07 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Date: October 24, 2008 15:31

But still completely miffed that there's not going to be CD releases of these shows! The whole experience has lost some of its luster for me now.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 24, 2008 16:40

VoodooLounge13
But still completely miffed that there's not going to be CD releases of these shows! The whole experience has lost some of its luster for me now.

Ticked me off too but I find myself seldom listening to the shows I saw in '02 and '06. I don't know why as I was excited to get the recordings.

Date: October 24, 2008 16:50

R
VoodooLounge13

Ticked me off too but I find myself seldom listening to the shows I saw in '02 and '06. I don't know why as I was excited to get the recordings.

I don't listen to them much either, not even the one where I can actually hear myself yelling at Pete. There's something about the way they were mastered; too much high-end compression or something, that makes them sound kind of harsh and causes me to get a headache. The live disc that came with the Endless Wire CD, which I assume was included as a kind of sampler of what the official bootlegs sound like, sounds better than the discs I have.

As for there being no 2008 Who Encore series, maybe they just don't want you to hear bad Roger sounded. Trust me, if you think he sounded bad at the show, he's going to sound even worse when you listen to him on the official bootleg.

Date: October 24, 2008 17:48

LOL Well, I'd love to buy all the encore boxes, but the prices are outrageous for the boxsets, but as a completist, I'd love to have em. So barring a sudden burst of money, which encore from '06 would you guys recommend? I really need to have a version of Tea & Theatre live!!!

Date: October 25, 2008 16:48

Still waiting on Voodoo's review of last night's show in Boston. I saw the set list. They've cut it down to 19 songs. Tatoo seems to have been a "one performance only" thing, replaced by Real Good Looking Boy. No Getting In Tune, either, though they've added a third Quadrophenia song, Sea And Sand.

Date: October 25, 2008 17:03

They've also dropped Fragments and Mike Post Theme, which is a shame, because though I'm no fan of Endless Wire, I thought those two worked quite well live.

Date: October 25, 2008 17:21

Another strange choice: They kept Sister Disco and dropped Relay. At least Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere is back in the show, a highlight of Who tours in recent years.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: October 26, 2008 08:10

Saw them in Oberhausen in 2007 (?) and got the "official bootleg" - I still enjoy listening to it - great (!) show and a fine version of Tea and Theatre, too! ;-)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 26, 2008 09:46

Oh that is too bad they dropped Mike Post Theme...as I said I consider that song the grandchild of The Punk and the Godfather...great song. Proves Roger still can summon those incredible vocal moments. Have the Chicago Show DVD and Disc from the last tour. Very good! Yeah, ragged in places but still some incredibly brilliant moments. Great version of The Amazing Journey/Sparks is magical, close your eyes and it sounds like vintage Who from yesteryear.
When is the deluxe version of Quadrophenia coming out?????? Anyone have news on it? And the layout of the release??

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 26, 2008 10:40

Hi Whitem8,

The only 'Deluxe Release' that is definite is 'The Who Sell Out',which should be available in January.A masterpiece too.

As far as I know,there are no plans to deluxe-up anything else although I'd do time for both 'Quad' and 'By Numbers'!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: October 26, 2008 10:44

Any 2008 Tour Bootlegs Yet?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 26, 2008 10:56

Drivin' Tooooooooo Fast .........

Melbourne Herald Sun - 26 October 2008

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: October 26, 2008 11:20

ablett

Detroit 2008

not entirely sure why the poster of this clip would think that anyone is likely to sit through it for a full 5 minutes or so?? however i am sure he can fill us in.

Date: October 26, 2008 15:21

The T-shirt I bought at the show, the one with Kit Lambert's iconic 1964 "Maximum R&B" design, says "Tour 2008/09" but lists no dates after November. Anyone heard anything about 2009 Who dates?

Date: October 26, 2008 15:28

SimonN
Hi Whitem8,

The only 'Deluxe Release' that is definite is 'The Who Sell Out',which should be available in January.A masterpiece too.

Would be a good idea for them to try and promote this a little by playing some of the songs on it, though I guess everytime they play Sparks they're also doing a little bit of Rael. On the Who web site Pete actually hinted they might play the bonus cut Glow Girl, which also includes elements of Tommy, and that would have been VERY cool, but they tend to shy away from playing anything that the majority of the audience isn't going to recognize.

Date: October 26, 2008 15:39

Anyone going to the show in Philadelphia tonight should expect VERY heavy traffic and allow a LOT of extra time. There's an important baseball game or something happening right across street from the Who concert.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: October 26, 2008 20:25

tatters
Anyone going to the show in Philadelphia tonight should expect VERY heavy traffic and allow a LOT of extra time.

I have a very sickly feeling in my stomach that i'm going to miss this gig tonight ,especially since i had to let go 3rd row almost center tickets the other day . but i have a free invite to ac dc's surprise gig tonight in Pa. also . Word has it there will be so called " stars " in attendance . We'll see ! i mean i like ac dc , but da WHO are da WHO !

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 26, 2008 23:33

"not entirely sure why the poster of this clip would think that anyone is likely to sit through it for a full 5 minutes or so?? however i am sure he can fill us i"

Simple really cocker. If you don't wanna watch it switch it of! There aint a gun to your head just yet.....

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: October 27, 2008 00:41

ablett
"not entirely sure why the poster of this clip would think that anyone is likely to sit through it for a full 5 minutes or so?? however i am sure he can fill us i"

Simple really cocker. If you don't wanna watch it switch it of! There aint a gun to your head just yet.....

cocker, mmmmmmmmmm interesting. To use the international language of sex & travel, together with a bit of love & peacre thrown in for good measure, why don't you just.........

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: October 27, 2008 01:05

Aint you got better things to do on a cold sunday evening than try n pick a fight over a short clip that some might find interesting?

But then it is half term......

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 27, 2008 01:38

I've got tix for Weds. night. Can't wait !!!

BTW: the Kilburn DVD is available for early order on Amazon.com

[www.amazon.com]

Date: October 27, 2008 14:37

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can I say??

Not sure where you guys got your setlist, as they did play both Fragments and Getting In Tune.

I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Baba O'Riley
Gettin in Tune
Eminence Front
Sister Disco
Sea And Sand
Love Reign O'er Me
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me/Feel Me
Tea & Theatre

I cannot BELIEVE what a FIN AMAZIN show this was!!!!!!!!!!! It was soooooooooooo loud and the vibe in the entire place was just electrifying!!! Roger sounded amazing - no cracks, or rough patches. He could have been singing back in the 70's, he sounded so on. I was completely blown away - I mean I would have love to have heard Bargain and I Can See For Miles, but I got the 3 that I really wanted to hear, and the rest was simply incredible.

I was a bit disappointed with the all-Tommy encore - am I the only who thinks that Tommy is just a bit overrated?? Blasphemous perhaps, but on a Stones forum I think I can get away with it. I just don't see what everyone sees in that album - Quadrophenia to me is so much better. I would have liked them to have kept Magic Bus there.

The Stones will always put on the best, most spectacular shows - with the giant stages, props, and athleticism, but honestly, does any of that matter? And I enjoy all of that immensely, but Friday night was just a band - 6 people with the keyboardist and Pete's brother - playing their @sses off. Musicianship-wise, the Who blow away anything our Boys have done since I've seen em live going back to '97. There was not one missed note, no posing, no drunken tomfoolery; just straight at you, heartbeat altering, ears still ringing this morning rock-n-fin-roll!!!!

I can see what everyone was complaining about with the grainy screen images, but I was so content watching the band that I hardly noticed it. Zak is one helluva drummer!! I loved watching him the most - he's really a great compliment to them, and watching the two of them move around stage and what phenomenal performance they put on, I couldn't help but wonder what they must have been like in their heyday with all four of them.

They came out tearing up the stage and they never let up once, they moved from song to song with very little talking and hardly resting in between songs. The comparison between the 2 bands is remarkable, although in the Stones defense, they (Mick particularly) moves around a heck of a lot more, but you know? I think I sacrifice some of the spectacle to have the Stones concentrate on the music and lyrics a bit more. For the price paid to see the Who, I left there feeling that I got a bargain, and it couldn't have been a better concert - definitely one of the top 5 concerts I've ever witnessed, including all the Stones shows. I haven't stopped listening to them all weekend - driving my wife nuts, since she can't stand them. LOL

The highlights for me were Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Reilly, Real Good Looking Boy, Sister Disco, and the opening 3. I did think that Pete's guitar was a bit too loud for Tea & Theatre, which detracted just a smidge from that one, which I couldn't wait to hear, but it was still great.

I wish I was going to see em again!! I'd say anyone who's even thinking about going to see em..........go!! It's one of the best shows you'll ever experience!!!!!!!

Date: October 27, 2008 21:19

Bump.............for Tatters

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 28, 2008 02:49

Voodoo Lounge, great review! I am so happy to hear such a positive review and I think the set list is fantastic! I totally agree with you about Tommy being overrated, and I think Quadrophenia is superior in every way. It is their best disc and I wish they would do more from it. Great to see Getting in tune is still in the set, that is a all time fav as well.
Jealous now I am thinking about trying to see them in Japan when they come to Asia, I wish they would consider some other Asian events, I am now living in Jakarta and would love to see them in Singapore. But I doubt they will...:-(

Date: October 28, 2008 15:30

VoodooLounge13
Bump.............for Tatters

Thanks for the review. Glad you had a good time. I read the Boston setlist on the Who's website. Guess somebody typed it in wrong. Setlist seems to be changing ever so slightly from one show to the next, a trick they learned from the Stones, and for them, that's being adventurous. Usually, they stick pretty much with the same setlist for an entire tour. Looks like they played Relay in Philly. It was in the #3 slot, instead of Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere. Tatoo has still only been played once, in Detroit.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: October 29, 2008 02:30

Just back from Boston and Philly. No complaints like I read about for the opener. I would have liked Magic Bus at one of the shows, but no big deal. Busy day in Philly, w/ the Eagles (American football, in case there's any doubt), World Series, and The Who all in the same day in the same area of town. Pete called the show 'the other sport'.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home