Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: The Official 2008 WHO Tour Thread
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 29, 2008 04:25

This is an ad for their first tour of Japan in Nov on Tokyo Subway in this morning.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 14:11

Here's the setlist for both Philly and Mohegan Sun - there were no changes.

Can't Explain
The Seeker
Relay
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sister Disco
Baba O'Riley
Getting In Tune
Eminence Front
Love Reign O'er Me
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me/Feel Me
Tea And Theatre

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 29, 2008 15:33

So Sea And Sand was played only once? In Boston? Mike Post Theme was played opening night, but I don't think since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-10-29 16:10 by tatters.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 30, 2008 03:43

Where did they get the idea that anyone wanted to hear Real Good Looking Boy or Sister Disco again? These are bad songs that no one wants to hear.

Also, I heard some of Sunday's show from Philadelphia. Daltrey cannot sing Fragments live at all. His attempts to hit the higher notes are just abominable. They need to drop it.

Bring back Magic Bus, Tattoo, and Sea and Sand! If they need another one from Endless Wire, bring back Black Widow's Eyes or Mike Post Theme.

Date: October 30, 2008 08:02

VoodooLounge13
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What can I say??

I cannot BELIEVE what a FIN AMAZIN show this was!!!!!!!!!!! It was soooooooooooo loud and the vibe in the entire place was just electrifying!!! Roger sounded amazing - no cracks, or rough patches. He could have been singing back in the 70's, he sounded so on. I was completely blown away - I mean I would have love to have heard Bargain and I Can See For Miles, but I got the 3 that I really wanted to hear, and the rest was simply incredible.

I was a bit disappointed with the all-Tommy encore - am I the only who thinks that Tommy is just a bit overrated?? Blasphemous perhaps, but on a Stones forum I think I can get away with it. I just don't see what everyone sees in that album - Quadrophenia to me is so much better. I would have liked them to have kept Magic Bus there.

The Stones will always put on the best, most spectacular shows - with the giant stages, props, and athleticism, but honestly, does any of that matter? And I enjoy all of that immensely, but Friday night was just a band - 6 people with the keyboardist and Pete's brother - playing their @sses off. Musicianship-wise, the Who blow away anything our Boys have done since I've seen em live going back to '97. There was not one missed note, no posing, no drunken tomfoolery; just straight at you, heartbeat altering, ears still ringing this morning rock-n-fin-roll!!!!

I can see what everyone was complaining about with the grainy screen images, but I was so content watching the band that I hardly noticed it. Zak is one helluva drummer!! I loved watching him the most - he's really a great compliment to them, and watching the two of them move around stage and what phenomenal performance they put on, I couldn't help but wonder what they must have been like in their heyday with all four of them.

They came out tearing up the stage and they never let up once, they moved from song to song with very little talking and hardly resting in between songs. The comparison between the 2 bands is remarkable, although in the Stones defense, they (Mick particularly) moves around a heck of a lot more, but you know? I think I sacrifice some of the spectacle to have the Stones concentrate on the music and lyrics a bit more. For the price paid to see the Who, I left there feeling that I got a bargain, and it couldn't have been a better concert - definitely one of the top 5 concerts I've ever witnessed, including all the Stones shows. I haven't stopped listening to them all weekend - driving my wife nuts, since she can't stand them. LOL

The highlights for me were Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Reilly, Real Good Looking Boy, Sister Disco, and the opening 3. I did think that Pete's guitar was a bit too loud for Tea & Theatre, which detracted just a smidge from that one, which I couldn't wait to hear, but it was still great.

I wish I was going to see em again!! I'd say anyone who's even thinking about going to see em..........go!! It's one of the best shows you'll ever experience!!!!!!!

Voodoo, it's exactly how i felt after seeing them in Paris last year.

Date: October 30, 2008 14:29

After all this time of everyone on here complaining about the Stones being about the spectacle, I finally understand what p-sses everyone off, but I don't think that the Stones could pull off that show, I honestly don't. They - the guitarists mostly - are just shadows of their former selves and need the spectacles to help draw away from what's lacking.

That Who concert was mind-boggling!! As for the Endless Wire cuts, I was really hoping for Man in a Purple Dress.

I thought Real Good Looking Boy was really good - I had no idea that it was about Elvis - I guess I should listen to the lyrics more! LOL

As for Sister Disco, I must admit that I'd never really noticed this song on the Ultimate Collection 2-cd disc that I have, but I thought it was one of the best songs of the show - it sounded nothing (live) like it does on CD. Really an upbeat rocker.

I, too, would have loved to have had Magic Bus, but then they could have swapped out all but the 3 songs I wanted to hear and it still would have been one helluva show - they just have too many great friggin songs!!!

I am not one to take anything away from the Stones, but I definitely have to admit, I left the Who concert completely shaking my head at what I just witnessed by people the same age, vs. what I pay much MORE to see from our band, which, until I saw the Who, I thought was the best possible show by rockers of that age group. I definitely now understand the music vs. the props - but the band also must be able to pull it off.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 30, 2008 14:49

Another great review! THANKS!
Yeah, I think Real Good Looking Boy is a great newer Who rocker. And yeah, great lyrics, and cool ending.
Sister Disco is a great song! And yes, I have seen them do it live and it is even better live, Townshend uses more guitars and changes it from a synth heavy song to a heavy guitar workout. I do remember an interview with Townshend in the 80's, where he said "thinking of harmonizing Sister Disco with Roger makes me want to puke!" One of those growling Pete remarks, they fight like brothers. So I think it ironic that the press is reporting they are fighting again and Townshend sings Sister Disco with Roger! From what I understand Roger is the "classics" guy, likes to stick with the safe stuff, Townshend likes to test the limits and do more deeper cuts. Too bad, but there is a lot to like about their setlists. And Baba 'O Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again are magnus opus. They are essential Who tunes and I don't really think of them as Warhorses, they are Stonehenge. Come to think of it, aren't they pissing on a monolith on the cover of Who's Next???? :-)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 30, 2008 15:34

VoodooLounge13
After all this time of everyone on here complaining about the Stones being about the spectacle, I finally understand what p-sses everyone off, but I don't think that the Stones could pull off that show, I honestly don't. They - the guitarists mostly - are just shadows of their former selves and need the spectacles to help draw away from what's lacking.

The Stones need the spectacle because unlike the Who, the Stones still play stadiums, and when you play a stadium, you have to make a spectacle of yourself. In a place that large, the music just isn't going to be enough, no matter who is playing. When the Stones play an arena or a theatre, they don't need a spectacle. In 2002, I saw both bands within a few weeks of each other, and much as I enjoyed the Who concert, I thought the Stones concert was entertainment on an entirely other level. Maybe it WAS the spectacle that made it SEEM that way; the fact that the Stones had more money to spend on "smoke and mirrors", but when you're charging that much for tickets, you SHOULD put some of it back into doing what you need to do to give people their money's worth. That's one reason why I hate the Eagles so much. They charge a fortune for tickets and don't put any of it back into the production of the show itself.

Date: November 2, 2008 07:25

Good review of their recent NJ gig. Another rare one, Cry if You Want..one of the better tracks from It's Hard.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 2, 2008 18:22

Can anyone tell me of the punk band that opened for The Who in Hamilton?

Date: November 3, 2008 15:35

It wasn't Inward Eye? I thought they were opening for them the whole tour...

Date: November 4, 2008 07:06

Big change in the Who set in Washington: the set didn't end with Won't Get Fooled Again. After 5:15 and Love, Reign o'er Me, they went straight into WGFA and then into My Generation/Cry If You Want and Naked Eye.

Can't Explain
The Seeker
Relay
Fragments
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Real Good Looking Boy
Sister Disco
Baba O'Riley
Getting In Tune
Eminence Front
Love Reign O'er Me
Won't Get Fooled Again
My Generation/Cry If You Want
Naked Eye

Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me/Feel Me
Tea And Theatre

Date: November 4, 2008 09:06

Great set!! How was the My Generation/Cry If You Want/Naked Eye??? A big long jam, ala Live at Leeds?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 4, 2008 11:03

tatters

The Stones need the spectacle because unlike the Who, the Stones still play stadiums, and when you play a stadium, you have to make a spectacle of yourself. In a place that large, the music just isn't going to be enough, no matter who is playing. When the Stones play an arena or a theatre, they don't need a spectacle. In 2002, I saw both bands within a few weeks of each other, and much as I enjoyed the Who concert, I thought the Stones concert was entertainment on an entirely other level. Maybe it WAS the spectacle that made it SEEM that way; the fact that the Stones had more money to spend on "smoke and mirrors", but when you're charging that much for tickets, you SHOULD put some of it back into doing what you need to do to give people their money's worth. That's one reason why I hate the Eagles so much. They charge a fortune for tickets and don't put any of it back into the production of the show itself.

I've seen The Stones at Rotterdam Ahoy in 2003 and The Who at the same venue in 2007.
Rotterdam Ahoy seats about 11.000, and thus could be considered to be an arena.
For me both shows were a confirmation of my preference for arena shows over stadium shows.
Both bands were great, and their greatness was emphasized by the lack of visual diversion.

I don't like the spectacle that I am obliged to pay for when all I want to do is Rock and Roll.
I am afraid the Stones are trapped by their own succes, that forces them to play stadiums.
I would love it if they followed the example of The Who and downsized their shows.
Me, I am no longer willing to pay for the production of shows. But I'd love to pay for
Rock n Roll in its purest form.

Date: November 4, 2008 14:53

Yes, My Generation/Cry If You Want/Naked Eye was one extended jam. Hopefully, someone recorded it.

Daltrey's voice was pretty dodgy in the middle of the show, but he rallied for the closing numbers.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home