Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Shine A Light - The Movie - Reviews
Posted by: gstone ()
Date: April 8, 2008 16:22

Saw the film last night in Oslo, Norway. Universal and the film distributor invited music- and film business people. Wonderful - we all had a great time, but what I'm really looking forward to is seeing it in the gigantic cinema on the opening night on Friday.

Tickets for that one are on sale NOW!
So, Norwegians should get their tickets imediately - cause the reviews are fab, and even people wou are not really fans will probably want to see this one in the theatre that holds 1000 people. (And has one of the world's best sound systems and a screen so big it's hard to see a movie from the first 10 rows!)

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 9, 2008 03:25

I saw the movie last night and man it was awesome. Wonderful.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 9, 2008 06:34

I'm both delighted and royally pissed off.

Saw it last night at a local IMAX. The audience was composed of me and my crew (4 of us) and 2 others. I had a feeling the crowd would be small, but damn. Anyways. I dug the film. The sound was phenomenal, and I liked how the mix continually changed based on what was on stage. Performance was great (except for Connection).

A few complains...

#1 Ronnie should have been turned up in the mix.
#2 Mick's vocals should have been turned DOWN in the mix. Alot.
#3 WHERE THE @#$%& WERE THE STONES?????????

Sure, Jagger puts on a great show, but where the hell was Charlie??? How many times did the camera focus on Mick when he wasn't doing anything noteworthy. The "mmmmm mmmm mmmm"s on As Tears Go By????? WTF!!!!!!!!! That should have been time to zoom in on the wonderful guitarwork. Ronnie doing a solo on various songs, and the camera just keeps following Mick!!!!!!!!

BIGGEST COMPLAINT I HAVE: TOO MANY F*CKING CLOSEUPS!!!!!! Its the IMAX! Why the hell is the entire screen being taken up by Mick's face for 99% of the film?!?!?!?!!??!? This was the perfect opportunity for fantastic full stage shots. Wide shots that pan real slowly and hold for a long time. Instead, all we got were closeups of Mick... THE. ENTIRE. TIME.

Ugh. A missed opportunity in my opinion. I still enjoyed it, alot, but man... It makes me wanna take my friends to see the real IMAX film, in which the entire band was featured, not just Jagger.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 9, 2008 07:30

Anastasia
I'm glad someone else mentioned Mick's dental work, yes, TMI, but I found it a bit endearing.

Where was Blondie? At one point I thought perhaps he didn't sign a waiver/release to be in the film.

I noticed both these things too - Mick seems to have had a cavity in one of his front teeth - maybe his eye tooth.

I think Blondie faced the same dilemma as many stones fans - not quite beautiful enough for Scorsese. Lisa and Bernard fit his prototype of beauty better.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 9, 2008 09:19

just got back from seeing Shine A light On Imax.

LOVED IT!!!

At first seeing it on the huge screen w/ the close ups it was hard for my eyes to adjust, I wansn't sure I was going to like it until some time around She Was Hot when my eyes adjusted. I agree that more wide shots would have been better.

Even thought there were lots of fast cuts, I think it still had a natural look. Maybe its the combination of the high quality film.the variety of angles and the lights.

Nice to see our very own Plexi. (as well as charlie's plexi glass wall)

The clips between songs were perfect except for cutting up connection.

Hearing the duets was great but seeing them is something else all together. Fantastic!

I enjoyed it from start to finish, did not get bored during the warhorses.

The overall impact of the film is that I walked away with a real appreciation for the band.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-09 10:00 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 9, 2008 11:49

JumpingKentFlash
[...]

Overall rating - 8.5.
Better than No Security, Still Life, Got Live If You Want It and Live Licks. As good as Love You Live and Flashpoint. Of course not better than Ya-Ya's, but it's very good. 8.5 doesn't give a good image of what I think about it, and 9 would be too high. And it will probably be even better on film. I can't wait to see it. This CD is a great appetizer and I think it will stand the test of time too.

I think you'll like the CD even more after seeing the movie, Kent. As striking as the picture is (and it IS - the first four songs just blow one away - never heard such a good live sound in a movie theatre!), sound-wise it also reveals some weak spots, especially on Keith's side. This is mainly because Scorsese always highlights the contribution of the particular player who's "on screen" at the moment. So you get to hear much more bum notes than usual. I nevertheless liked Scorsese's approach on this, cause it brings you closer to everybody in the band, but i would have preferred him using his trick only in the beginning and then returning to a more "conventional" sound mix, which the CD thankfully does. On the CD everything is much more "together". So this time the CD is definitely a much better companion to the picture than "Live Licks" was to "Four Flicks".

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-09 12:25 by Greenblues.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 9, 2008 12:05

Got back about two hours ago from seeing the film at he only place its playing on Oahu, not an Imax. I went with a non-fan, and not hoping for too much. I will always rembember going to see "Let's Spend the Night Together," and walking out thinking , "good God, that sounded horrible! How did I enjoy so many shows?" And of course time and finaces allowed many more shows at this point in life, and I was at Beacon 1, so I went in expecting to come out happy that I had seen the film, but disappointed. Also, going with a non-fan, I was prepared to have to defend the band, like I have to with so many passions in my life, like the ex wife, LOL or (forgive me Beast) the latest Russian thing.

Instead I walked out with a friend saying, "wow, can I go with you and your freinds next time.?" I felt like I had heard the best live recording of the Stones since Ya Ya's. Gone was Hal Asby's muddy mix, and at least at the theater I could hear every guitar that was on stage, with the exception of Mick durng Just My Imagination. OK lets deal with the naysayers, no this is not the band that you hear on the unreleased "Ladies and Gentlemen," and thankfully I am not the same man that I was then, though I sadly miss my 28 inch waste and full head of hair.But anyone that cannot appreciate what is documented here is trapped in time and wants the band to be also. I was totally unpreared for the sonic onslaught after the snippets I had heard on line, and I do worry that the poor sound sytem I have will only lead to disappointment when I get the CD. What I saw was a band comfortable with who they are, not ashamed of every wrinkle, every scar, but proud to be who they are, proud of what they are doing and how they are doing it. It was obvious that yes the money is good, but they are doing what they do because they really do enjoy it! The close ups of Charlie as he ended songs and looked so satisfied were amazing betraying emotion I have seldom seen in Charlie. When Mick looked for Keith to share the mike for Far Away Eyes, it was obvious he knew the reaction that would bring, and for all the reported animosity, Keith took it a step further and pulled Mick in for a hug that was so sincere it was really touching. Keith giving Buddy Guy his guitar at the end of Champagne and Reefer, admitting that both he and Ron were probably lousy gutarists, but together being better than any 10, the hilarious faces Mick makes at times ( which I really noted up close on this tour and had not noted before), just gave me a feeling that while quite aware of their superstar status, their undeniable legacy (that we as fans seem to worry about more then they do), that these guys are willing to be self-deprecating, and realize in the end, It's Only Rock and Roll.

They are at this age finally able to live what Mick, Keit, Charlie all tried to say in clips from early years, they did not ask to be cultural figureheads. They never wanted to be pro-drug, or anti-religion, or political leaders, they just wanted to play music, and it was unasked for interest in their personal life that made them the anti-heroes of a generation. I think part of the disappointment some might feel with this movie is the same some felt when the Stones brought out their families at the O2 to sing during SFTD, they refuse to be avatars for the cuases of our youth, that most of us have grown beyond, but somehow want these men to continue to champion for us.

In the end, all they promised us was a damn good show. For over 40 years, they have given us many such, as well as a few stinkers. This, in my opinion, is one of the best.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 9, 2008 12:18

Kahoosier, I so agree! Especially applauding their preparedness to expose every wrinkle, filling and thinning hair to unforgiving HD and IMAX at this stage in the game.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 9, 2008 16:10

Kahoosier - Thanks for that, I'm in agreement. SAL is what it is, nothing more or less, no need to pine for what is or isn't there [just like a live show smiling smiley

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: April 9, 2008 16:42

Great post Kahoosier-Very well put-I feel exactly the same way.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 9, 2008 19:37

Thanks Kahoosier. As they say in the heartland, "YOU rock!"

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 9, 2008 23:21

Mahalo! Kahoosier

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 10, 2008 03:12

I've read a lot of reviews of SAL, and the most scathing one I've read says the following: (This is a quote and I do not necessarily agree with the author)

"Watching Keith Richards paraded around like a man in a character costume as Disneyland I found myself realizing how @#$%& lame this group has become. Is there anything less rock and roll than being introduced by the president of the United States? I've been reading Please Kill Me, a history of punk rock, and watching these rich old men play to a crowd of rich people who barely move during songs, let alone dance, really helped crystallize just what it was that the kids wearing safety pins in 1978 were rebelling against. This isn't rock and roll - this is a very loud Lawrence Welk performance."

Yikes!

(For the full review, go to [chud.com])

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-10 03:13 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: April 10, 2008 03:35

Hey Kahoosier,

That was a fantastic post. Really well put... I know exactly what you mean. Again it was great to meet you last August in sleepy London town, hope the stones roll into gear soon and that will prompt an IORR reunion!!

Cheers,

Mr. Jimmy

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-10 03:40 by Mr Jimmy.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 10, 2008 05:49

My dear wife who is not really a Stones fan, but likes some of their songs, has been to concerts with me, etc went with me to see SAL. When we came out she said she could have watched Keith play the entire 2 hours; something about seeing how much the man loves doing what he does, with all the warts.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: April 11, 2008 11:18

thanx to altamont for the answer to my question...since you are the only fan who picked up on this,I salute you...but now I'm even more curious as to why Mick would shout out 'San Francisco' twice in the final verse of Brown Sugar at a club show in NYC while camera's were rolling for a movie which would come out years later...am I missing something here ?....I guess I could see this happening on a 'live' cable broadcast..."Goodnight NY, see you in Detroit next week"...think I'll just have a cookie & for get about it......peter

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: April 11, 2008 13:28

Question to Dutchies, or others who know... ...will Shine A Light be available in IMAX this weekend in NL or only in regular theatres? I can find it at many agenda's but not in the IMAX Arena agenda... I can find it through the searchfunction of IMAX, but not in the agenda itself. I thought it would be available... ...but it seems not to be? Any conclusions on this?

Jelle

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: April 11, 2008 17:07

peter
thanx to altamont for the answer to my question...since you are the only fan who picked up on this,I salute you...but now I'm even more curious as to why Mick would shout out 'San Francisco' twice in the final verse of Brown Sugar at a club show in NYC while camera's were rolling for a movie which would come out years later...am I missing something here ?....I guess I could see this happening on a 'live' cable broadcast..."Goodnight NY, see you in Detroit next week"...think I'll just have a cookie & for get about it......peter

Mick did this throughout the entire tour, during BS he said where they were going off to. I thought it was good that they didn't do anything different, I think they did their best to keep it to a regular gig as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-11 17:07 by LSTNT.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 12, 2008 04:36

I saw today and was impressed with the sound, however why did chop up connection and not show the rest what was recorded that nite. The interviews were somewhat useless.

Best part was when Mick gave Buddy Guy that littel wink during the the Muddy tune.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 12, 2008 15:52

I popped to see it last night...and I too have to agree that Kahoosier's comments are on the nail.
The only issue with the otherwise very nice theatre I saw it in was that it could have done with being a bit louder. Wasn't packed...but a healthy turn out.
Both fans and [previously !] non-fans I spoke with were uniformly impressed.

I found the movie very interesting from another point of view too...and I apologise for raising this tiresome topic in an unrelated thread.
Watching a largely undubbed film confirms the primary cause of Keith's often criticised iffy playing and sloppiness.
It's always when he's too busy mugging for the front row,posing and throwing shapes.
The appropriate balance between showmanship and musicianship is obviously completely different when the visual experience is removed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-12 15:56 by Spud.

Posted by: kennydice58 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 17:09

seen the movie last night in glasgow excellent just like being at a gig right in yer face awesome theatre too brilliant will have to go back again soon cheers kennydice bonnie Scotland

Date: April 12, 2008 18:56

B+

a lost opportunity in some ways but a great documentary of a period in the stones live act... having seen them only shortly after this in atlantic city i'm glad this documentary exists..its hard to argue with the 30 plus cameras...

to me the buddy guy song was the best thing about it... what the stones is all about imho

it was cool to see jack white too

i didn't need any of the pre concert stuff... what was the point of that?? the whole o no what am i going to do i don't have the set list thing was contrived...

the movie did nothing but perpetuate the stereotypes they want us to think about them.. keith looked in shambles to me..ronnie was really really good and carried the band live i thought..in more songs than one...

the paid blonde girls detracted a bit..they seemed retarded

but you can't argue with all the killer close up shots.. i liked the way the sound got louder when they focused on someone...

the clips from back in the day were cool..it was neat to compare the way they look now and did then..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-12 19:03 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 12, 2008 19:29

Had time to kill yesterday, so I saw it at the Century City Mall during the middle of a work day. I think there were 6 people. I loved it, but I get annoyed with the concentration on Mick and, like everyone else, can't stand the fake fans. Does anyone know what footage came from which night? Can anyone provide a link?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:08

I saw it last night at an IMAX. Good show. But it was good in spite of Scorcese. I don't think he did much to enhance it frankly. Why the god awful non-stop closeups. It got a bit distracting and made for someblurry backgrounds at times. But I don't think they totaly ignored the band. Except for Charlie,but taht's just how it goes with him anyway.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:23

>> Does anyone know what footage came from which night? Can anyone provide a link? <<

the production notes say all the performance footage is from the second night,
but in interviews Scorsese's also said most of it is from the second night.
i recall noticing a bit that was apparently from the first night, but i don't remember
which number that was in - or maybe it was a bit from between numbers.

i'm not sure what link you're looking for, but the setlists for both nights are on this page: [www.iorr.org]
just click on "review" for the Beacon shows ...

Re: Shine A Mick - The Movie - Reviews
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2008 00:27

Just came back from Shine A Mick...

Well, all impressions has been written allready...is there anyone still reading this thread?

I noticed that Martin Scorsese didn't know which guitar belonged to each Stone, often; he turned up the volume for Keith's guitar, when Ronnie was in the camera...and he turned up Mick, when it should've been Ronnie

Highlights....Connection, Champagne & Reefer, You Got The Silver, Live With Me... and of course the flashbacks; and Charlie saying HELLO, and Keith saying SHUT UP

Charlie Watts and D Jones...they sounded like a distant echo - much reverb....wtf was the point of that? Great sound on the guitars and vocals - but Charlie was completely lost in the mix

And why cut Connection?

The filming...great angles! And real up close! The problem was that this was all directed at Mick Jagger!
I hardly saw Charlie Watts during the Beacon footage. And Ronnie was graciously given a few seconds in the spotlight during some of his solos.....and that's it....btw, he did some very nice playing thoughout; whenever you could hear him.
Jagger was really in the high sky at Beacon...amazing energy - but this combined with the Mick-fixture in Martin's office, made it a bit straining....

Flashbacks were great...should have been more of them. It striked me that nearly all flashbacks were drug-related - which is somewhat odd; why didn't Scorsese focus on other parts of the story? Especially Keith was portraited in this light

"Sympathy for the Devil" didn't work - wish they cut out that one; and it's not because of Richards solo....it's great to see him relaxing on stage nomatter what notes he play. But....it sounds like the whole band, apart from Chuck and Jagger, is deadly tired of it.

Christina...yeah that was cool - Keith didn't look impressed tho', and so was Buddy Guy of course. Strange to see a guestartist inviting to a guitar-duel, without any reply from Ronnie or Keith. Didn't really get Jack White, I must say...to put it mildly, then again, I'd probably be even worse, if I had the chance at Beacon

All in all....yeah it was great seeing this movie; thanks to the glimpses I managed to get from Mick's background. And Rolling Stones did a nice performance at Beacon...all of them

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 19:09 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 13, 2008 01:11

>> is there anyone still reading this thread? <<

~*YEAH!*~
cool that you got to see it, Erik, and cool that it sounds like it mainly grooved you :E

Date: April 13, 2008 01:21

with sssoul
>> is there anyone still reading this thread? <<

~*YEAH!*~
cool that you got to see it, Erik, and cool that it sounds like it mainly grooved you :E

Thanks, with Sssoul - yeah it's really nice seeing Rolling Stones at the cinema

But I have a hard time censoring my own post, as I could/should have been much more critical to Martin Scorsese's way of portraiting the band.....but it's not like I'm angry for going to see this movie at all. Mixed emotions in other words.
As CC so nicely put in a different thread; "it wouldn't been much of a movie, if it wasn't for The Rolling Stones"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 02:57 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 13, 2008 01:43

stoned in washington dc
its hard to argue with the 30 plus cameras...

Funny how the number of cameras change from week to week.

so what is the correct # ?
17 cameras is what I read mostly.

Yeah, good you finally got to see the movie, Erik.
glad you also noticed the lame drum sound. thats something I don't understand how it could pass.

Re: Shine A Mick - The Movie - Reviews
Date: April 13, 2008 01:56

open-g
Yeah, good you finally got to see the movie, Erik.
glad you also noticed the lame drum sound. thats something I don't understand how it could pass.

So you noticed that as well, open-g? I didn't make a bigger fuzz out of it, as I thought there might have been something wrong with the EQ....or something... at the cinema. It was really lousy. It's the kind of sound you get when you simply don't know how to record drums! It's an echo present, which make each of Charlie's drums get a certain...note or chord; almost. I had it the same way at the first recordings I ever tried to make, on real cheap equipment.
Allthough I very much miss Bill Wyman - every time I hear Rolling Stones without him... : I missed Darryl's presence in the mix of Shine A Light...there was no punch there

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 01:58 by Erik_Snow.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home