Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: Shine A Light - The Movie - Reviews
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:17

I get my Svd by mail here in the outback confused smiley...
Glad I aint ruinin' my breakfast then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-04 16:58 by Baboon Bro.

Date: April 4, 2008 12:30

...Couldnt help my self, I read it... Someone (I cant, gotta go) should
really translate it, so that we could drench this junk writer in
protest mail He obviously didnt see it. And how disrespectful
by the conservative-Neo liberal paper to pick a hater as reviewer..
Bad taste, really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 13:03 by Baboon Bro.

Date: April 4, 2008 12:34

(Ref.: See the three posts above)

I have mailed my protest. I urge all Scandinavians to do the same.
This is a review written by someone who hasnt watched the reviewing object.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:49

Baboon Bro
See the three posts above

How did you celebrate your 20,000th post?
cool smiley

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 4, 2008 13:28

Friday, April 4, 2008
Stones keep rolling in ‘Shine a Light’

MOVIE REVIEW

By Daniel M. Kimmel Telegram & Gazette Reviewer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Shine a Light’
A Paramount Classics presentation

Rating: PG-13 for brief strong language, drug references and smoking.

Running time: 2 hours, 2 minutes

Mick Jagger turns 65 this year. That puts “Shine a Light,” a filmed record of an incredible Rolling Stones concert in fall 2006, into some perspective. No one could have guessed back in the 1960s that the Rolling Stones would become “classic.” Indeed, in the film’s concert they’re introduced by none other than former president Bill Clinton. The show at the Beacon Theatre in New York was a benefit for the charitable Clinton Foundation.

No need to worry that Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood or Charlie Watts are going to tone down their act. They may have cut back — or cut out — the drugs, the booze and the cigarettes, but that doesn’t mean they can’t sing about them. It shows how much the world has changed that not only do the Stones do a benefit concert for a former president, but they can perform a song like “Champagne and Reefer” and no one thinks twice about it.

Of course, there have been many concert films and documentaries about the Stones over the years. The reason this got made was that Jagger was interested in having a record of their most recent concert tour and Martin Scorsese was asked to direct. Scorsese is no stranger to the rock scene. Besides using various tracks in his films, he also was an assistant director/editor for “Woodstock” and director of “The Last Waltz,” a record of the final concert of the Band.

It was Scorsese’s idea to get the Stones in a relatively intimate setting rather than in a gargantuan outdoor location. One of the strengths of the film, beyond the music itself, is that we get to see the performers up close, as well as get a sense of how they interact with the audience. For a bunch of guys in their 60s, it’s clear that not only do they have energy to spare, but they don’t seem to be in any hurry to retire.

After some introductory material about Scorsese and the film, and Bill and Hillary getting to hang out with the Stones, we get to see the concert itself. The only interruptions after that are the occasional excerpt from interviews they’ve done over the years, sometimes offering an amusing contrast to where they are today.

As for the concert selections, it’s a mix of new and old with some guest appearances from Buddy Guy, Jack White III and, perhaps most surprising, Christina Aguilera.

In the end, “Shine a Light” is a chance to enjoy a Rolling Stones concert up close and personal. If you’re a Stones fan, then this is the must-see film of the year. If you’re not, you may still find it interesting, but it may seem a longer concert than you might like.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 4, 2008 13:30

Could anyone at least make a short summary of what's written in that review? And is that the same newspaper that slashed Gotheborg's gig last summer (which I attended and was very good, by the way)?

Thanks.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 4, 2008 13:36

erikjjf
Baboon Bro
See the three posts above

How did you celebrate your 20,000th post?
cool smiley

He drove to Brno and back in one stretch. grinning smiley
Congrats Peter.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: April 4, 2008 14:32

Watched it last night. I enjoyed every minute of it. Great film, great performance! The only disappointing thing for me was the poor attendance. They chose the biggest room (holds about 500 people) and we were 12 (!).Couldn't believe it. But the group of four we were really had a great time and loved practically every song of the concert and most of the footage. Highlights ? Hard to say because all songs were played very well and with a lot of energy and passion. Mick was unbelievable, sharing the mike with Keith almost drove tears to my eyes. She was hot, Some Girls, All down the line, even most the warhorses were very good and played better and with even more passion and energy than in many other shows I have seen.Low points? Let me think. The only song I didn't like very much was "Connection" proving that Keith is obviously not capable of playing the guitar and singing at the same time any more. That was sad to see. And I must say I have seen and heard better versions of "Start me up" and "Satisfaction" before. But I will go and see the film again tonight and again next week. Can't wait to see it at an IMAX cinema some day!

Date: April 4, 2008 16:58

Wow, someone's gotta do some celebratin'.. Will go to a restaurant tonite, so.. smileys with beer

Anyway, the review... Still hasnt got the time to translate or so now (perhaps tonite if I'm sober tonite, and I probalby will be, duties awaits tomorrow);
but please, couldnt anyone Swedish, Norweigan or Danish give it a try?

Thanks Erik & Kent for notifyin' me on my jubilee.
Am I still ahead of Gazza?

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 4, 2008 17:01

Spud
Sadly, I don't think we can expect to be sitting in a full cinema to watch this movie.Get to early screening if this bothers you.
I remember once watching LSTNT at a local cinema...on my own ! At least I had the pick of the seats ;^)

Spud when I saw LSTNT first week it came out , I swear there were only six people in the theater.

Date: April 4, 2008 17:09

--------------------SvDs "review": --- [www.svd.se]

Ännu en konsertfilm med The Rolling Stones – är det vad världen behöver ett år som detta när glaciärerna smälter och den amerikanska fastighetsbubblans kollaps raderar ut folks besparingar? Svaret hänger rätt mycket på om man är en lönnfet man i hög medelålder med bräcklig självbild eller inte. Rent musikaliskt är det inte ens fråga om ett skämt längre. Men det handlar inte om musiken, och det har det egentligen aldrig gjort. Shine a light är en film om en attityd, bandets, och om publikens attityd till den attityden.

First block: [semi-freely translated]

Another concert moviw with RS - is that what the world needs a year such as this, when the polar ices are melting and the American estate bubble burst is erasing people's savings? The answer is crucially depending on whether you are a fatso in higher middle-age with weak self-confidence or not.
Seen sheer musically it isnt even a joke anymore. But it doesnt deal with the music, and actually it didnt ever. SAL is a movie about an attitude, the bands,and the audience's attirude towards that attitude.

--------------------------- More to come here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-04 23:45 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:28

>>The only song I didn't like very much was "Connection" proving that Keith
is obviously not capable of playing the guitar and singing at the same time any more. <<

rrronnie, not picking on you, just curious: in the film Connection starts in medias res and is interrupted repeatedly,
so are you basing that assessment on the CD, or ...? and ... well no, i reckon the other question
deserves its own thread, instead of sidetracking this one. have some more popcorn

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:36

theimposter
The film just shows how they still love each other, despite all the differences.

isn't it pretty to think so?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:56

Another review from another Swedish newspaper, Dagens Nyheter.
[www.dn.se]
This one, rather good actually.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 4, 2008 20:29

Nashville Tennessean:
[www.tennessean.com]

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 4, 2008 22:25

Very good reviews today in both The Chicago Tribune as well as The Chicago Sun Times. Quite complimentary.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: April 4, 2008 22:54

Dumb, dumb, dumb review in the NY Post today. More of an excuse for Steel Wheelchair level jokes than a critique of the film. Made even more ridiculous for the fact that they gave it three stars, while the review itself had nothing positive to say.

[www.nypost.com]

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:32

Much better than I expected, mainly because it's more dynamic than watching a typical PPV-style concert (read: flat).

And look at all this:

-The Spinal Tap-ness of the opening scenes, with Mick seeing the stage and admitting he doesn't understand "any of it".

-Mick. Jagger.

-The idea that Mick wanted to do Too Much Blood, and that they consider certain songs to be only "Medium Known".

-All those setlists that fans will be dissecting online when the dvd is released.

-Mick and the Japanese girl celebrating their 29th.

-Charlie's post-All Down The Line reaction.

-Lisa and Mick's interplay during She Was Hot.

-Also, Lisa in general.

-When did Buddy Guy turn into an old bluesman?

-Keith spitting out the cigarette during Champagne and Reefer. Iconic stuff.

-It's going to ultimately be revealed that Christina's baby is a little Jagger.

-Someone once told me he found it odd to watch Mick hold a guitar. I have to admit, it's pretty strange to see Keith not holding one.

-Didn't really like Connection being constantly interrupted. Great interview clips, but it was jarring to the overall rhythm of things.

-Ronnie knowing he's the better guitar player. Keith just knowing better.

-The moon transforming into the Stones tongue. That's what it needs to do every night.

Posted by: Pohan ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:38

Ok just watched it. It was perfect, and there's so much love in it. And thats all I have to say about that.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 5, 2008 00:50

Here's what the IMAX theatre in Los Angeles is looking like at the moment. The theatres requires assigned seats, which you can pick online. The blue boxes signify empty seats and the faded boxes means that it's been taken.

Across the board..looks like a good crowd:

4:10pm

7:00pm (show I'm going)

9:50pm

Posted by: gagaman ()
Date: April 5, 2008 02:18

Godo review from Baltimore paper:

[www.examiner.com]

Stones shine in Scorsese's 'Light'

They age like the old black bluesmen they’ve idolized for going on a half-century now. Which is to say, they play until they can play no more, and do it superbly. Yes, The Rolling Stones have gathered moss — look at the contour map on Keith Richards’ face — but the skinny, 60-something Brits deliver three-chord bliss like no others.

Date: April 5, 2008 03:09

Took the day off from work and saw the 11:30am at the IMAX. Great movie but ...

1) Jack White was a throwaway scene. Could have done without it.
2) Christine A. was great eye candy but eh.
3) Maybe it was where I saw it but did anyone think the mix could have been better. Keiths guitar seemed way down in the mix alot. He has that great little riff during 'Just My Imagination' and I could hardly hear it. Listen to the version on Handsome Girls. It stands out. And during the encore scenes, the camera would zoom in on him during a solo and all of a sudden his guitar would get louder than softer when it panned away. I found it annoying. This happened several times throughout the movie.

Ok, maybe I'm being picky! Overall, a great movie and I'll go see it several more times.

Scotty

Hey Hey My My. Rock and Roll Will Never Die.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 5, 2008 03:51

I watched Shine a Light today. I think great. The Stones were amazing. When I saw Mick and Keith singing together Far Away Eyes I cried. It was a fantastic moment.
Just My Imagination, She Was Hot, As Tears go By, Tumbling Dice, You Got the Silver were great moments too.
The boys played very well. Lisa was sexy and beutiful. I will wacth the movie many times.

Thank you boys for this fantastic moment....

Posted by: rcho ()
Date: April 5, 2008 04:11

Boston Globe review

Legend meets legend
Scorsese's 'Light' captures energy of the Rolling Stones
By Ty Burr, Globe Staff | April 4, 2008

"Shine a Light" did something I didn't think was possible. It got me caring about the Rolling Stones again.

A documentary record of a two-night stand at New York's Beacon Theatre in the fall of 2006, the film marks a collision between two of pop culture's most stubbornly instinctive creative forces, director Martin Scorsese and Stones frontman Mick Jagger. On the surface, it's not much of a contest: 63 when the film was shot, Jagger remains the Energizer Bunny of rock stars, a miracle of good genes, modern chemistry, or both. The voltage he exudes onstage is nothing less than astounding. I think I pulled a muscle just watching him.

Scorsese, by contrast, lays low after some pre-concert scenes in which we see him fretting comically about a missing set list. Like Hitchcock, the director understands the cartoon that is his public persona - the chatty, movie-obsessed "Marty" - and he has great fun playing with it for a while. But then to the business at hand.

Why a Stones concert film, and why now? The band has been spent as a necessary pop force since the early '80s. Admit it: Everything after "Tattoo You" is marketing and sweat equity. There's nothing wrong with that; all artists live off the fumes of their most fertile period, and by any measure the Stones had an incredible run. Their music - incisive, mean, at times both frightening and beautiful - was a critical ingredient of the youth explosion from 1964 to 1972, and their bad-boy attitude echoed for years after. It echoes still.

Yet the experience of seeing the group play in the past two decades has usually been a letdown: tiny figures on a giant stadium stage playing old hits through a watery arena sound system. The Rolling Stones are a corporate brand, and everyone wants a piece: During the pre-show rehearsals in the film, the entire Clinton family and entourage climbs the stage to shake hands with the real legends.

The surprise is that "Shine a Light" reclaims the notion of a Stones concert, building slowly yet inexorably until it seems as if the entire movie theater is vibrating. (The film's playing on area IMAX screens, too; you may want to wear protective gear.)

The close quarters of the Beacon's stage brings the boys closer together - Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, drummer Charlie Watts (his sense of swing still the band's secret weapon), along with bassist Darryl Jones, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, a horn section, and backup singers. The band's within reach of each other again, and the camaraderie is palpable.

As Jagger is the ringmaster in front of the cameras, Scorsese is the maestro behind them, assembling a crew under Robert Richardson that reads like a Who's Who of award-winning cinematographers. The cameras swoop and dive, bank and rise, racing toward Jagger as he's dashing toward them. "Shine a Light" isn't one of Scorsese's most personal projects, but could any other director have turned classic rock into something so intensely kinetic?

And there's the music, which mixes expected chestnuts ("Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Tumbling Dice," "Start Me Up") with a few surprises ("Connection" from the album "Between the Buttons": That is digging deep) and which builds to a pitch of expert frenzy that not even the appearance of Christina Aguilera can dissipate. She's a guest vocalist on "Live With Me," and Jack White of the White Stripes turns up for "Loving Cup." Next to Buddy Guy, they're just babies, and when that venerable bluesman lights into Muddy Waters's "Champagne & Reefer," even Jagger seems like an awed student.

My one complaint is that the sound mix favors Mick's vocals over the sonic juggernaut of the band as a whole. If your favorite Stones album is "Exile on Main Street," in which the vocals are way down in the murk, this is distracting, but any karmic imbalance is righted when Keef takes the microphone for a lovely, warm slide-guitar trawl through "You Got the Silver." If Jagger remains the careerist of the band, Richards has become its living treasure: a benevolent rock wreck.

This isn't the "definitive" Stones documentary the way Scorsese's "No Direction Home" was for Dylan. Every so often, "Shine a Light" goes to the archival well, pulling up vintage interviews to provide a sense of the band's history, but these are a distraction from the immediacy of the concert. The Stones have always been about the moment rather than its meaning. They play the old songs not for nostalgia's sake but to insist the tunes still have impact - can still get you out of your seat dancing.

One clip's a hoot, though: Dick Cavett asking Jagger in 1972, "Can you picture yourself at age 60 doing what you do now?" He answers, "Yeah, easily," and the audience laughs because in 1972 old men did not rock. But Mick is serious, confident. He's in this thing for life.

Ty Burr can be reached at tburr@globe.com. For more on movies, go to boston.com/ae/movies/blog.

© Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 5, 2008 04:15

Well I gotta tell ya . I've had a few beers since I've seen the movie and I thought it was GREAT !

What I enjoyed the most was the expessions on the Stones faces . It showed that they were really enjoying themselves . And that can only make the fans enjoy themselves that much more . In the theatre that I saw it in , people were actually clapping between songs it was as if it were a live show . Kudos to Martin Scorsese for a job well done . I loved it ! It won't be the only time I see this film , And when is the DVD release ?

1 thing I noticed though is that there were an awful lot of good looking women in the front rows . Was this done purposely ? And BTW I thought the chick to Micks left about 3 seats down the catwalk was really hot .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 04:40 by boston2006.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 5, 2008 04:30

It's currently up around 88 percent on Rottentomatoes.com. Mostly good reviews and I'm looking forward to seeing it when I can.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 5, 2008 04:40

cc
theimposter
The film just shows how they still love each other, despite all the differences.

isn't it pretty to think so?

Yeah, maybe I am being diluted in my thinking. Perhaps you know them personally and know something the rest of us don't? I doubt it though.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 5, 2008 05:37

I loved watching the film, but I have the same observations as Scotty (micknkeef@...) about the mix, and Keiths guitar going up and down. Silly and awkward sound editing.

The front row audience members were obviously planted... all young, attractive women, in their 20's... Scorsese seemed to enjoy Lisa F's breasts quite a bit, too!

Perhaps we'll get the director's cut on dvd, fewer edits, bonus tracks, etc... Overall, a lot of fun for me, a huge Stones fan, but I fear anyone else would be bored... There were nine people in attendance, in addition to my wife and myself, on the 6:50 premere night showing.

Date: April 5, 2008 07:03

Just got back from seeing Shine a light..I have never seen the Stones perform in a small venue like the Beacon. I wish the film could have been done at a large concert venue. I missed being able to watch them all in action onstage.
It is definitly worth seeing though. Alot of great camera angles...Keith's especially , catching so much expression...Mick was so dynamic....wish there were less mega closeups and more of the full shot to capture his amazing onstage energy. Happy with all the selections....esp... far away eyes ... champane and reefer...she was hot were extra delicious treats. It was really worth seeing...Loved all the clips to remind us all how far we've come.....may the journey continue.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: April 5, 2008 08:12

Highly recommend it. Would like to hear your reviews too. I loved the beginning pre show organizing, Martin sweating out the details, and the ending was creative, cute and perfect. This IMAX didn't seem to jump out as much as the other older IMAX one. My fave parts were "You Got the Silver"....Keith surprised me how good his vocals were, and no guitar in front of him, totally in the role of lead singer only...and that long black coat! Also couldn't help grinning all thru the first tune; man I still love this band!! Far Away Eyes was another fave, loved Ronnie's playing, and the camera effect on Mick for that one verse in the middle really made it. Everything seemed to go up a notch when Buddy Guy came onstage and played with them...they all seemed to be more engaged, lively and enjoying the moment more...plus that camera on Buddy was something else, now that is IMAX to full effect. Too bad he didn't stick around for a couple more. I thought Jack White sounded like a girl, and had to laugh when Christina Aguillera was singing on Live With Me, then the look on Keith's face when she started her vocal diarrhea/high pitched screams, then went to kiss him at the end. LOL. She'd make a good match with Mick.

I thought there should have been more camera time on Ronnie and Charlie,and would've liked to see more of the after-show. Just the band here, not much on the fans, and that's how it should be.
Liked the part with Brian of course! Mick Taylor was rather absent from the archived footage.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home