Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Shine A Light - The Movie - Reviews
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 5, 2008 14:30

I loved it too, but I think it could be far better. I would have loved if they had dropped 3-4 songs and made it more of a documentary, but that we cannot change winking smiley

Overall it was still very entertaining with many highlights such as She Was Hot,
Champagne and Reefer (Buddy really showed them, that voice and playing - excellent), Faraway Eyes (Ronnie, Mick n' Keith sharing the mic), As Tears Go By, Some Girls, and Loving Cup - Jack White was like a little boy whose dream became true and that made the song really special. Lowpoints for me was Sympathy, Satisfaction...actually I was almost bored during the warhorses.

Of course, the cameras are far too often on Mick, the hired, boring blonde girls in the first rows annoyed the hell out of me and Keith's playing on many songs is just a huge disappointment. Mick sounds a bit too busy which makes his voice sound flat and hurried sometimes, but of course his energetic performance is just amazing.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 5, 2008 16:49

its always great to see the Stones in concert, but i felt the closeups were too close and at times the edits to fast. When the shots are so tight, you really can't see anything. It did not give the feel of seeing them in concert. If you bring friend to this to "make" them into Stones fans or to try and show them what a Stones concert experience is really like, I dont think they will come away appreciating how great they are live.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 5, 2008 19:17

theimposter
cc
theimposter
The film just shows how they still love each other, despite all the differences.

isn't it pretty to think so?

Yeah, maybe I am being diluted in my thinking. Perhaps you know them personally and know something the rest of us don't? I doubt it though.

no, just interpreting the same information you have. I very much think they probably love each other as longtime bandmates do, but a band that doesn't live together anymore, rarely writes or plays, and has a history of conflict. The moments when the love through are I think probably never on camera. On camera, it mainly looks forced. But it is a nice thought, really.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 5, 2008 21:36

I thought the movie was killer. Only think that bugged me and I know its been said before is the hired hand in the front. It would have been so much better with the real fans there. Otherwise I had a blast and danced the whole movie! will defintely go back and see it again. I hope it runs more than a week or so. San Francisco was not sold out the first night.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 5, 2008 21:46

Went in with friends to have some fun and did just that !!
We clapped after songs, did some woo-hoos, laughed, had great time.
It wasn't "perfect", but so what?
The theater sound was splendid; I'll never see the band up-close like that in person so this was a great treat.
We're going back as soon as we can get together !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 21:47 by gmanp.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 5, 2008 22:07

cc
theimposter
cc
theimposter
The film just shows how they still love each other, despite all the differences.

isn't it pretty to think so?

Yeah, maybe I am being diluted in my thinking. Perhaps you know them personally and know something the rest of us don't? I doubt it though.

no, just interpreting the same information you have. I very much think they probably love each other as longtime bandmates do, but a band that doesn't live together anymore, rarely writes or plays, and has a history of conflict. The moments when the love through are I think probably never on camera. On camera, it mainly looks forced. But it is a nice thought, really.

Okay, I basically agree with what you said. But when I said you could see the love on camera, I didn't mean the more staged-looking scenes w/Keith and Mick hugging and singing, etc. It was the little moments, like Keith coming up to joke around w/Charlie and so forth that I thought you could sense the genuine fondness they have for one another. They can probably do without one another's company if for the rest of their lives if they were forced to do so, but it doesn't mean these old geezers don't genuinely love each other. I think Scorsese caught that feeling in a way the concert dvds and the like cannot.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 5, 2008 22:35

First off I give many thanks to Seet Neo-con for providing me with a pass for two to the Milwaukee premire. Rolling Stones fans are the best and certainly the ones on IORR.
I found it to be a great film although being there live is always better. Many great songs on the list with She Was Hot and You Got The Silver out front as my faves. Keiths singing and emotion was sincere and genuine. I found some of the guest appearences may have taken away from the overall performance because sometimes it takes awhile for the artist to warm up to the mood of the show. Not bad overall but it seemed like Champagne & Reefer with Buddy Guy (who I love dearly) started out slowly and a bit rougher/sloppy than the usual sound. By the end of the song it was much tighter and I always love Mick playing harp because it showcases him as a musician and not a performer.
The filming was good with quick cuts that kept in time with the songs pace as they were being played. I really loved the input of the old clips and the humor they brought. Sometimes watching a performance on video can get boring after about 20-30 minutes and I thought it helped break that up. I also found the irony when during AS Tears Go By Mick sang the line "doing things I used to do, and think they're new" because the Rolling Stones have set the benchmark for rock and roll and so many artists owe them for their influences.
Only had two gripes about the film and it's presentation. First off I felt that just about anyone could have directed the film with the same or maybe better results. Maybe they felt a big name was needed. I didn't care much for Marty forcing himself into the movie especially at the end. The only other thing was that the sound would be pumped up when there was a closeup of say Keith or Woodie with their solo blasting louder than the rest of the band. I thought it was some movie soundman's idea for effect although the man taking comments after the show blamed it on the theater sound. I have my doubts.

Date: April 5, 2008 22:35

HalfNanker
its always great to see the Stones in concert, but i felt the closeups were too close and at times the edits to fast. When the shots are so tight, you really can't see anything. It did not give the feel of seeing them in concert. If you bring friend to this to "make" them into Stones fans or to try and show them what a Stones concert experience is really like, I dont think they will come away appreciating how great they are live.

I totally agree

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 5, 2008 23:06

mighty stork
The only other thing was that the sound would be pumped up when there was a closeup of say Keith or Woodie with their solo blasting louder than the rest of the band. I thought it was some movie soundman's idea for effect although the man taking comments after the show blamed it on the theater sound. I have my doubts.

I hear what you're saying, I also mentioned similar thoughts about the sound in the february premiere thread.

but I disagree that it's some sound-engineers fault or idea.
that is clearly a decision a director makes. He'll say what he wants and later approve it.
the soundguy is probably innocent.
I can imagine him replying to Scorsese: " oh c'mon, you really want to do that? we can do better than that.
ok, you're boss - whatever you say" and then thinks to himself "wtf".

...and the sound is different from one cinema to the next. (I've seen it twice)
It depends what kinda equipment and acoustics they have......and how many folks are sitting in the chairs.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: April 5, 2008 23:23

I also thought Mick was rushing thru his lyrics abit which has become the norm these days at stones shows, but I also thought he was deliberately trying to slow it down some. Noticed how the spit flew out of Keith's mouth when singing You Got the Silver...talk about camera detail.
I thought when Mick first put his arm around Keith there was a second of hesitation, it seemed not natural. Also seemed oddly formal when Keith thanked Ronnie for playing on You got the Silver, and shook his hand at the end. At one point, Ronnie bumped hips with Mick but got no reaction, they didn't seem too playful with Ronnie at this gig. I got tired of the models in the front row, and Lisa's boob shots.
I liked the ending, as if they took off in the plane...or maybe something more spiritual/immortal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 23:24 by Miss U..

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 6, 2008 01:54

review from salon.com;
[www.salon.com]

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: April 6, 2008 02:16

Just saw it, not IMAX. + some old footage and interviews, Champagne and Refer excellent, As Tears Go By. Camera work ok but too many Jagger head shots. Major complaints, Christine A, the same work horses - rather have Gimme Shelter still the one I never tire of, since it has nice guitar work rather than Start Me Up or Rambler. Keith's playing ability is looking more limited. Am I wrong? Could have had a Chuck Berry number, Carol Little Queenie or Around and Around, since that is what their so much of their early music began with. (Chuck as a guest spot??) Is IMAX version worth it?

Date: April 6, 2008 02:16

theimposter
It was the little moments, like Keith coming up to joke around w/Charlie and so forth that I thought you could sense the genuine fondness they have for one another. ... I think Scorsese caught that feeling in a way the concert dvds and the like cannot.

yeah, true, and it's powerful how the cameras swoop in to catch those moments and then pull back out to mick performing at the front of the stage.

but I do think that charlie and ron are the easy ones to get along with in the band (as long as you don't call charlie "my drummer"!) and keith has long expressed fondness & admiration for charlie in particular as a way to separate his image from mick's, and to suggest that charlie and therefore himself too are the real musicians or "engine room" of the band, whereas mick is the necessary window dressing who somehow doesn't have the perception or soul to truly appreciate charlie. That's how I personally interpret a lot of those keith moments on stage... Don't get me wrong, as a fan I have a lot of fondness & admiration for charlie too (and for keith!), and would probably do the same thing, but I would put some of those moments also in the forced category. Then again, I'm sure they have unforced moments offstage. So these moments are public performances of a real bond that's actually lived offstage.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 6, 2008 02:53

HalfNanker

I neglected to mention, i saw the IMAX version...maybe my criticisms would not be so apparent on a smaller screen (though I doubt it).

AND, I will be first in loine to buy the DVD... i am hoping that's where Albert Maysles stuff will show up, otherwsie what was the purpose of having him film so much of the fans during the pre show? Is he doing his own film of that evening?

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: April 6, 2008 03:39

I saw the movie last night in Manchester Connecticut IMAX. I think the film is very good. An A- or 4 of 5 stars. As is the Live CD Soundtrack based on. thought it'd be a titantic piece with Martin & being his favoritie band etc. It may be an A+ after hearing the DVD cranked in my backroom surround sound when it comes out. I was expecting the IMAX to be very loud last night. It wasn't in CT. I had the same problem when the Rio concert was shown in Branford Ct. The volume was so low both times. I remember many saying the Rio concert was played loudly around different theaters / States. How loud was your theater or if was IMAX etc. It bugs the shit out of me to listen to music softly. But if sound was loud I think it would of hit the mark or very close to it. Anyone here at the Manchester Ct IMAX debut last night? MEZ

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: April 6, 2008 04:09

Outstanding--I really liked the Buddy Guy piece, it really shows that they are still a great blues band. Chistina was cool, she held her own against Mick and was just sexy enough. I really enjoued, You Got the Silver, wonderful guitar playing from Ronnie. A masterpiece.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 6, 2008 04:20

Sound was turned up nicely in Nashville IMAX, could "feel" it.
IMO, the IMAX sound is worth the price.
The Siskel and Ebert [sp] TV movie critics said SAL was THE movie to see this week smiling smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 6, 2008 06:21

just saw it tonite, i really enjoyed the way they mixed the old footage between and during songs, keith was a riot imho, like the way he changed that line good to be anywhere into good to see anyone

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: April 6, 2008 06:29

Did anyone catch "The Raging Bull" shout out uttered by Keith as they are coming off stage?

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: April 6, 2008 06:30

I saw it Friday and I did not here one negative word out of anyone comming out, People were saying, "He's in his sixties, can you believe it." People also said it is amazing, and a lot of people wanted to go back.

With me there were NO words to describe it. Theres plenty of words, but There is not one perfect word to describe it. I told everyone the next day at work, To see it. Every person i have ran into i have told to see it.

I thought Keith espescally looked fantastic on the big screen.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 6, 2008 06:49

Just seen it... and I loved it. Though C&R was more enjoyable on cd than watching it, for some reason. I can't wait until this comes out on DVD, though I hope they fix the sound before that happens.

Jack White was definitely my favorite duet, that was really cool to see someone so enthusiastic to play with the guys... and as nice as it is to have As Tears Go By on film, I really could have used a few less shots of Mick's face during that number. He didn't even look 40 for most of the film, but in that song...wow...haha.

The warhorses seemed pretty fresh to me on this one, except, oddly enough, Tumbling Dice, which is easily my favorite Stones tune... it just didn't move me on the big screen this time.

Overall, the best filmed Stones concert. Truly.

Posted by: rocksoffKR ()
Date: April 6, 2008 06:52

amazing at the IMAX

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: April 6, 2008 08:46

loved it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 22:34 by chelskeith.

Date: April 6, 2008 10:15

that's funny, I thought ron was totally marginalized in the movie, even more than charlie--at least other people show that they think he's important, even if Scorsese doesn't. Conversely, if this isn't too much of a contradiction to what I just said, I also thought he played fairly well.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: April 6, 2008 11:30

I just downloaded the key songs and more,,, this album/show sucks big time!!! I am a fan but please Stones please, quit its over,,, dont you get it? I am embarrassed to play these songs to my non-stones friends and Im sure they are laughing already. Sorry the show is stupid and musically bad, only Stones below 12 can enjoy this.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 6, 2008 12:32

johang
I just downloaded the key songs and more,,, this album/show sucks big time!!! I am a fan but please Stones please, quit its over,,, dont you get it? I am embarrassed to play these songs to my non-stones friends and Im sure they are laughing already. Sorry the show is stupid and musically bad, only Stones below 12 can enjoy this.

Interesting view. Care to expand on it a little/provide some detail, I'm curious to know why you thought it was so awful ?

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: April 6, 2008 14:05

"I just downloaded the key songs and more,,, this album/show sucks big time!!! I am a fan but please Stones please, quit its over,,, dont you get it? I am embarrassed to play these songs to my non-stones friends and Im sure they are laughing already. Sorry the show is stupid and musically bad, only Stones below 12 can enjoy this."

Maybe you should play "Yellow submarine" - that would lift the spirit and quality - what a miracle that song was....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-06 14:05 by bumbum.

Posted by: C R K ()
Date: April 6, 2008 14:45

Seen the movie. The negative things first:

-Christina Aguilera was really awful-she didn't only ruin Live with me but ruined the rest of the movie for me... Did anyone like this? What a way of singing... Why her?

-The audience-I know they were models in the front-but it didn't look like a rock/concert audience to me... I wish that they could have done the room darker so we didn't have to see those people "dancing"...

-The 4 last songs were kind of boring, heard them so many times... 2 of those would have been enough.

-The sound of those guitars bouncing up and down didn't work very well imo.

-Bill Clinton-why? What a waste of time...

Keith-did an ok job but You got the silver and Connection were not the highlights of the movie..

The good things:

She was hot, Faraway eyes and Champange... were the song highligts for me. They sounded great! A couple of others sounded good too.

-Mick-it was nice to see him close-up in action... What an energy!

-The archive-material, could have been much more but what was there was well choosen and I hadn't seen it before... Many laughs!

Overall-it was a nice spent 2 hours but so much could have been different if I were to decide... but I guess it could've been a lot worse too...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 6, 2008 16:39

magenta
Did anyone catch "The Raging Bull" shout out uttered by Keith as they are coming off stage?

put my robe on right, lol

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 6, 2008 16:48

smile: there's an old interview somewhere where Keith mentions that that line
has been a post-show ritual for quite a long time now

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home