Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Shine A Light - The Movie - Reviews
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2008 18:48

UGot2Rollme
I still don't like that Keef doesn't play guitar on "Silver" (like he did on No Security tour), but otherwise, nice version.

I thought at the time that there may have been medical reasons for that, relating to the medication he's on. Combining some skills at the same time can lead to seizures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-21 18:50 by Gazza.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:06

You might be "overthinking" that Gazza.
More than likely he just put the guitar down because he wanted to concentrate on a good vocal delivery.Good move IMHO.
He's never really been able to sing and play has he...not into the microphone anyway ;^)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:10

well.he certainly had some 'absences' during the late 2006 and summer 2007 legs. I agree that he wanted to concentrate on a good vocal delivery, but if youre prone to seizures and needing to concentrate on something, hand to eye co ordination on more than one task at a time can be problematic. Its accentuated further if you're in any way intoxicated.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:15

Gazza
Its accentuated further if you're in any way intoxicated.

..agreed, not helpful.

I suspect he's largely recovered from that little escapade now..and we'll see him in better nick next time. He was certainly much improved over the later 2007 dates of the ABB tour.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:18

yes, connections now

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:39

My opinion is that Keith's performance in "You Got The Silver" is perhaps the most efficient one in the whole movie. That guy has credibility, dignity and charisma to cover the rest of rock world. Keith has a connection to the audience Mick unfortunately is too afraid to have, that is, to deliver something from his soul.

- Doxa

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:51

I dunno, he did a damn fine job on You Got The Silver during the No Security tour and he was playing lead slide. The overall sound of the song on that tour was wonderful. Keith and Ronnie shared guitar responsibilities and it was beautiful. The SAL version is good but not as great as the ones in '99.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 22, 2008 15:16

DVD Times has a review which isn't too good. But it talks about the great moment in the film with Buddy Guy which includes 'Ronnie Wood presenting him with his guitar as a gift' so take it with a pinch of salt.

[www.dvdtimes.co.uk]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 22, 2008 21:01

The Rock Star and his Greatest Fan...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 22, 2008 23:44

I didn't have the opportunity to see SAL. Did today with some friends at The Max
Linderin Paris. One word comes to my mind : fanstastic. Thanks to Martin Scorsese. He really captures the quintessence of The Stones on stage. The quick exchanges between them. Terrific setlist. My top 6 if I have to choose : JJF, Champagne and Reefer, She Was Hot,Loving Cup, BS and Get No. I wonder how Mick can deliver that much.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 12, 2008 20:11

I don't know if that's already been written, about according to this

[www.boxofficemojo.com]

SAL passed over the 10 M$ barrier last week. That means they will have to wait for the DVD to get "in".

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 25, 2008 00:31

Just caught this one on Google news::

[www.thetimes.co.za]

Shine a Light * * *

In Hail Hail Rock ’n Roll Keith Richards takes Chuck Berry to task for Berry’ s sloppy delivery of his trademark guitar licks.

But Richards should heed his own advice. He and Wood rush through this live set, dragging the rhythm section along in their wake. Apart from the Bobby Keyes sax break in Brown Sugar, Shine a Light deserves better treatment from a band that’s been at it for the last four decades. Hopefully, Martin Scorsese’s film is tighter than the accompanying soundtrack. — Tim Falkiner

Posted by: oceans ()
Date: May 25, 2008 01:13

phd
I don't know if that's already been written, about according to this

[www.boxofficemojo.com]

SAL passed over the 10 M$ barrier last week. That means they will have to wait for the DVD to get "in".

I'm sorry, but what does "wait for the DVD to get "in" mean?"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 25, 2008 13:59

skipstone
Just caught this one on Google news::

[www.thetimes.co.za]

Shine a Light * * *

In Hail Hail Rock ’n Roll Keith Richards takes Chuck Berry to task for Berry’ s sloppy delivery of his trademark guitar licks.

But Richards should heed his own advice. He and Wood rush through this live set, dragging the rhythm section along in their wake. Apart from the Bobby Keyes sax break in Brown Sugar, Shine a Light deserves better treatment from a band that’s been at it for the last four decades. Hopefully, Martin Scorsese’s film is tighter than the accompanying soundtrack. — Tim Falkiner

Don't take it seriously when he writes that they've been at it for the last 4 decades. It should be 5.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 25, 2008 19:54

Saw it yesterday och it made me proud over the Stones. Can't really understand the negative critcism.

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: May 30, 2008 15:54

I have seen it yesterday and have mixed feelings about it.

I was pleasantly surprised about Shattered, She Was Hot, Loving Cup, and Champaigne & Reefer; well, the first half of the gig was decent to great throughout.

Then there is that annoying warhorse section, which for me has become a sort of anti-climax over the years with karaoke-like arrangement and choreography, nasal vocals, and embarassing guitar noodling. Musically a poor joke. Unfortunately, the movie reflects truthfully the actual experience of a nowadays' Stones gig, notabene on a "good night".

Lighting, cutting and camera work are superb, though.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home