Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: OT: David Bowie "Blackstar"
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 3, 2016 04:49

mighty stork
Ross
Bowie has done it again. Now we have "space-jazz"! This is really different, and great!

Ross

I was going to describe it as atmospheric. Listened through a few times now and it certainly grows on you. I think some won't like it as it doesn't rock out much but it's a very interesting project.

Rock is dead? Or more accurately, is on life support. It certainly has become very ritualistic. I went to a big, ugly rock show last week (Motley Crue & the Struts). It was good but no one was breaking any new ground for sure. The Struts were a fine young band but essentially they were recycling their dads' record collections. A measure of the Stones, a pinch of Mott, big heaping helping of Queen. You get the picture. Not that it wasn't enjoyable but it wasn't challenging in the least. Bowie has a history of being way ahead of the curve. Ten years from now people will look back & still appreciate this record. It's good enough where hopefully it will inspire some youngsters to greater things. There's a young Trent Reznor out there that is going to hear this & freak out in a good way. I'm all for more real music being played by humans with real instruments. I find a lot of today's music is soul-less in large part because of the over bearing machine element. This record is groundbreaking & doesn't sound like anything else out there. I applaud Bowie for taking the risk. It probably won't sell much but those who buy it will be rewarded. I'm hearing new things each listening, which to me is a sign of a great work. Won't be everybody's cup of tea but worth a listen. On a Stones level, I bet Charlie will "get" this record. In the past, he's been the one truly with his ear to the ground. More discussion on this will be interesting. I wish I wasn't in the hinterlands & could see "Lazarus". I saw the cast of the play do that song on one of the late night talk shows. It was great & is even better on this record. So far, my favorite on the record but that could change.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 3, 2016 08:48

Not my cup of tea, but then again most newer David isn't really for me. Just happy to see him out there at all.

Still hoping on that live show one day.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: January 3, 2016 13:01

So I hope it's not as boring as he did on Sue, the only new track on his Nothing Has Changed - collection from nov 2014. That's played in a jazzy style with a classical orchestra.

Tom

Date: January 3, 2016 13:50

Michael C. Hall (Dexter) & cast performing "Lazarus" on Colbert. This is pretty damn good! Who knew this guy could sing?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 3, 2016 14:59

Did Bowie listen in on Kendrick Lamar?

Date: January 3, 2016 15:44

Whale

I read something to that effect. Think it was an interview with Tony Visconti.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 3, 2016 16:52

electricmud
So I hope it's not as boring as he did on Sue, the only new track on his Nothing Has Changed - collection from nov 2014. That's played in a jazzy style with a classical orchestra.

Tom

Sue is re-recorded on Blackstar with the jazz backing band and a slightly different arrangement. Sounds much better to me.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 3, 2016 18:00

I just listened and I can say that for me is a great record, maybe better than the previous

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 3, 2016 23:35

crholmstrom
Whale

I read something to that effect. Think it was an interview with Tony Visconti.
Indeed, I am reading this now on the internet, while I hadn't before.
It was sort of the first thing that sprang to mind when I read here in the thread it was a jazzy record. Slighty predictable he took it from Lamar.
Ross
Bowie has done it again. Now we have "space-jazz"! This is really different, and great!
I'd say the novelty
is probably more with what Lamar did than with what Bowie did, though it may still be a nice record.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2016 23:38

potus43
Jazz!!!!! God help us

...or I could just help:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 4, 2016 13:59

Naturalust
Somehow I see Mick laughing with Mr. Bowie concerning this record and Keith laughing at Mr. Bowie.

KR shouldn't really be laughing at anybody...and especially considering what he's been sending to Jagger to sing that last 20 -30 years or so...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 4, 2016 18:21

crholmstrom
mighty stork
Ross

Ross

I was going to describe it as atmospheric. Listened through a few times now and it certainly grows on you. I think some won't like it as it doesn't rock out much but it's a very interesting project.

Rock is dead? Or more accurately, is on life support. It certainly has become very ritualistic. I went to a big, ugly rock show last week (Motley Crue & the Struts). It was good but no one was breaking any new ground for sure. The Struts were a fine young band but essentially they were recycling their dads' record collections. A measure of the Stones, a pinch of Mott, big heaping helping of Queen. You get the picture. Not that it wasn't enjoyable but it wasn't challenging in the least. Bowie has a history of being way ahead of the curve. Ten years from now people will look back & still appreciate this record. It's good enough where hopefully it will inspire some youngsters to greater things. There's a young Trent Reznor out there that is going to hear this & freak out in a good way. I'm all for more real music being played by humans with real instruments. I find a lot of today's music is soul-less in large part because of the over bearing machine element. This record is groundbreaking & doesn't sound like anything else out there. I applaud Bowie for taking the risk. It probably won't sell much but those who buy it will be rewarded. I'm hearing new things each listening, which to me is a sign of a great work. Won't be everybody's cup of tea but worth a listen. On a Stones level, I bet Charlie will "get" this record. In the past, he's been the one truly with his ear to the ground. More discussion on this will be interesting. I wish I wasn't in the hinterlands & could see "Lazarus". I saw the cast of the play do that song on one of the late night talk shows. It was great & is even better on this record. So far, my favorite on the record but that could change.

Good post but the part in bold has me scratching my head. confused smiley What makes you think Charlie has been the only Stone with his ear to the ground? I always thought that was considered Micks domain.

Re: OT: David Bowie
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:12

with blackstar and lazarus (and Sue) as singles I had great expectations about this record and now these expectations are somehow deluded. still way better than the absurdly overrated next day. still waiting to hear it again and hi fi

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 5, 2016 09:14

I listened to 'The Next Day' yesterday. A really exciting album with innovating songs which gives great hope for ' Blackstar ' that I will get home today. A new five in a row like 'Station to Station-Low-Heroes-Lodger-Scary Monsters' on it's way with last album 8th january 2019? smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: January 5, 2016 10:52

I'm a great Bowie fan, but the fact is that:

- The last great album is "Scary Monsters" (1980...);

- The last interesting & exciting albums are "Outside" (1994) & Earthling (1996);

- The last good album is "Heathen" (2002)

Since 1999 (Hours), except "Heathen", the Bowie albums are poor and the production awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 10:53 by MRAmandaJones.

Date: January 5, 2016 11:01

MRAmandaJones

- The last interesting & exciting albums are "Outside" (1994) & Earthling (1996);

Since 1999 (Hours), except "Heathen", the Bowie albums are poor and the production awful.

What was wrong with The Next Day? I thought it both sounded excellent and that the songs were strong..

Date: January 5, 2016 11:14

Naturalust
crholmstrom
mighty stork
Ross

Ross

Good post but the part in bold has me scratching my head. confused smiley What makes you think Charlie has been the only Stone with his ear to the ground? I always thought that was considered Micks domain.

Mick seems to be on to the commercial stuff (dance, etc.). 1 example I can think of off top of my head about Charlie is he was the one that picked up on White Stripes early on. There have been others over the years. + with the jazz leanings of "Blackstar", I think Charlie would be interested.

Date: January 5, 2016 11:16

DandelionPowderman
MRAmandaJones

What was wrong with The Next Day? I thought it both sounded excellent and that the songs were strong..

A part from Heathen, which i dont like either, I must agree with MRAmandaJones

On The Next Day, with the only exception of the first single, Where Are We Now, a truly inspired track (and awesome video), i found the record filled with Bowie's clichés and unchallenging as great Bowie's records have always been.

Date: January 5, 2016 17:11

Just listened through 'Blackstar'....WOW!!!! Best album I have Heard for ages....Bowie is the man...Jazz? Hardly..just some very nice saxophone in betweens...

10**** for the ranking, and you know Low-Heroes and Station to Station have the same ranking....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 5, 2016 19:04

Last great Bowie-album = NLMD.
Hours is almost as good though.

Scary Monsters best Bowie-album ever, The Next Day = heap of garbage.

New album I havent heard yet.

Date: January 5, 2016 19:08

HMS
Last great Bowie-album = NLMD.
Hours is almost as good though.

Scary Monsters best Bowie-album ever, The Next Day = heap of garbage.

New album I havent heard yet.

Some albums requires more than just one listening from an another room ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 5, 2016 19:12

Listened to The Next Day almost a dozen times, every time the heap of garbage seemed to grow higher and higher and higher...

What´s really awful is the 2CD-deluxe-version with about six or seven bonus-tracks, all of them horrible junk...

Date: January 5, 2016 19:16

Ha Ha McCartney had a song about it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 5, 2016 20:57

David Bowie's new jazz-influenced album Blackstar will be released on Friday to coincide with the singer's 69th birthday. Critic Kate Mossman gives her response to Bowie's 25th studio album, produced by long-term collaborator Tony Visconti, which has been described as 'the most extreme album of his career'.

Today
19:15
BBC RADIO 4

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 5, 2016 23:11

crholmstrom
Mick seems to be on to the commercial stuff (dance, etc.). 1 example I can think of off top of my head about Charlie is he was the one that picked up on White Stripes early on. There have been others over the years. + with the jazz leanings of "Blackstar", I think Charlie would be interested.

I hadn't heard of Charlie picking up on the White stripes, I imagine Mick was aware of them too, might have even turned Charlie on to them. I can see how they might have had some appeal to Charlie with the simple instrumentation and simple drums such a prominent part of the music.

I suspect Charlies personal music collection these days is pretty much all traditional jazz with a bit of contemporary jazz thrown in. It would be interesting to heard Charlies review of it...it could go either way. My highly speculative and humorous guesses of each of the Stones reviews of Blackstar:

Mick: "Fantastic record, David has again shown us that he beats to his own drummer, it's really it's own thing innit? "

Keith: "Well is ain't really rock and roll is it? Haaargh. Mick probably likes it though"

Ronnie: "Great stuff man. I have always liked David, we've been mates for ages"

Charlie: "I haven't heard it. I can't be bothered to listen to what most people are releasing. Why do you care? I'm just a drummer. "

smoking smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 6, 2016 06:06

HMS
Listened to The Next Day almost a dozen times, every time the heap of garbage seemed to grow higher and higher and higher...

What´s really awful is the 2CD-deluxe-version with about six or seven bonus-tracks, all of them horrible junk...

I find the bonus tracks really good, and in a way better than some of the tracks on the second half of The Next Day proper album. The thing is they put in the middle of these bonus studio tracks less than interesting weird remixes. If you listen to just the 5 studio tracks (Atomica; The Informer; Like A Rocket Man; Born In A Ufo; God Bless The Girl) that makes a great EP.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: January 6, 2016 06:39

The Stars (are out tonight) and Valentines Day are both off of Next Day and are just as good if not better (for showing the maturity and breadth of Bowie) than any of his older work.

The man is incredible. I listen over and over just blown away, damn this from a geriatric "retiree."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7dMBcg-gE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4R8HTIgHUU

Forgive me Keith, but my husband just summarized Bowie- he's the sound of now.

*I'd love Keith on guitar for Valentine's Day though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 06:41 by Librarian.

Date: January 6, 2016 07:06

that's exactly what I was thinking thinking of Bowie's clichés smiling smiley (wih a little help from sigismondi's eye also)

yet I must say that nothing Bowie's done is worse than Never Let Me Down
so he is getting better anyway smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 07:09 by maumau.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 6, 2016 07:51

I'm listening to Blackstar right now and really enjoying it. Definitely going to take multiple listens to get a handle on it, though. I thought The Next Day was a pretty strong album, myself.

Date: January 6, 2016 09:20

I really like "The Next Day". So much so I bought it twice. For me "Blackstar" is even better. So different & cool. David seems re-energized by the musicians, much like Neil Young working with Promise of the Real. I don't think its going to happen but I would travel to see David with this band.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home