Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: new bowie song - what do you think?
Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 18:16

or, so

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 20, 2015 20:04

Love it! I've only heard / watched it twice and my reaction has gone from "interesting" to "phenomenal" so it's definitely a grower. I loved The Next Day which seemed to be a sort of summary of everything he'd done to date with a modern production but this has moved on to new territory. It's so inspiring to see a 68 year old still experimenting and doing so very successfully too. Beautiful video - Bowie's got his moves back too. I understand those who say it's too theatrical but that is its strength for me. Get a feeling he's writing those musicals he always said he wanted to.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: November 20, 2015 20:06

guitarbastard
interesting ideas, but the singing drives me crazy....angry smiley

[pitchfork.com]

I understand where you're coming from and had similar thoughts on first hearing but was much more tolerant of the vocal second time round. I do much prefer his 'normal' voice in the middle section though. Musically it's brilliant.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 20, 2015 20:22

I'm not a big fan of DB but this track is good.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 20, 2015 20:34

Excellent track, but then his albums from Buddha of Suburbia onwards have been pretty great.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 20, 2015 20:43

tomcasagranda
Excellent track, but then his albums from Buddha of Suburbia onwards have been pretty great.
Except for the only album I really love, Hours, which is apparently universally hated LOL. I think its far and away his best late era record.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 20, 2015 21:55

The end sounded a bit like "Their Satanic......"

I think it's not bad...maybe after hearing it 5 times it will grow on you, but it will take 3/4 of a hour..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 22:36 by NICOS.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 20, 2015 22:10

RollingFreak
tomcasagranda
Except for the only album I really love, Hours, which is apparently universally hated LOL. I think its far and away his best late era record.

Well, that makes two of us, because I like Hours too.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 20, 2015 22:22

good track
though the next day was a big disappointment to me after the first great single
hope this is different
sue from the latest collection was also great

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 20, 2015 22:27

Nice slice of escapism from a martian wannabe,Bowie's specialty.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 22:35

I also like Hours! A great album with some very classic songs. Seven and Survive are classics in their own right! A great sounding and produced disc as well!

Date: November 20, 2015 22:39

maumau
Really? A lot of people liked it, but to me it was borderline unlistenable.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 21, 2015 15:11

RollingFreak
maumau
Really? A lot of people liked it, but to me it was borderline unlistenable.

The thing about Bowie is he's always ahead of his time. Like the new song plenty.

Date: November 21, 2015 15:18

whitem8
I also like Hours! A great album with some very classic songs. Seven and Survive are classics in their own right! A great sounding and produced disc as well!
Thank you!!!

Re: David Bowie
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 24, 2015 16:28

Interesting the way careers turn out.
Bowie is releasing a new studio album in January, but no tour plans. In reality he seems to have retired himself from live concerts.
Contrast Stones Inc....no new material but still touring.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 24, 2015 18:02

I buy music to listen over and over, so I'll be passing on the single. I prefer Sons of The Silent Age over Black Star.

Date: November 24, 2015 22:49

jlowe
Interesting the way careers turn out.
Bowie is releasing a new studio album in January, but no tour plans. In reality he seems to have retired himself from live concerts.
Contrast Stones Inc....no new material but still touring.

That is interesting, especially since Bowie used to tour all the time and the Stones always took long breaks, or have since like 72-75.

For what its worth, there's a quote out there, probably from Tony Visconti, but maybe from Bowie himself, that says he never plans to perform another live concert again. As someone that never got to see him, I certainly hope that isn't the truth, but he's certainly been sticking by it for a decade now.

OT: David Bowie "Blackstar"
Date: January 2, 2016 03:16

I just listened to the new album. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. More later. Still trying to absorb it. The master is just so far ahead of the rest of us, as usual. PS: Don't worry, I will actually buy it next week!winking smiley

Re: OT: David Bowie "Blackstar"
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 2, 2016 03:32

Ok, spill the beans! How did you hear it so soon?

Date: January 2, 2016 04:22

It's up on several websites. Plixid.com, Newalbumreleases.net & semi-ironically Itsonlyrockandroll.info to name a few. Shhhh!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 2, 2016 05:21

Some respect for Mr. Jones, please! I think people can wait another week without being told where they can steal it from.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 2, 2016 05:24

Arrrrrrgh matey!

Date: January 2, 2016 10:01

DeanGoodman
Some respect for Mr. Jones, please! I think people can wait another week without being told where they can steal it from.

You mean David the Merciless, he of 15 reissues a title in his catalog? Each with 1 or 2 really cool things that aren't available elsewhere. I know I had to buy "Next Day" twice in a year because a new, far superior version came out....just to name one. As I said, I am definitely going to buy the new cd. Musically, "Blackstar" is groundbreaking. The band is jazz but the cd isn't a jazz cd. Doesn't really fit into any genre. Just really great musicians. The lyrics are really good & David's voice is in fine shape. I really admire that he hasn't abandonned his muse & gone the oldies, greatest hits route. Would be easy for him to do. At age 69, Bowie is still blazing trails. If the Stones put out a cd that is half this good, we are going to be in ecstasy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-02 19:42 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 2, 2016 15:19

Very exciting. Thanks for the enthusiastic review. I can't wait.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 2, 2016 17:16

Bowie has done it again. Now we have "space-jazz"! This is really different, and great!

Ross

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 2, 2016 17:36

Somehow I see Mick laughing with Mr. Bowie concerning this record and Keith laughing at Mr. Bowie.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 2, 2016 20:28

Can't wait to hear it. But I will wait until Friday.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 2, 2016 21:31

Ross
Bowie has done it again. Now we have "space-jazz"! This is really different, and great!

Ross

I was going to describe it as atmospheric. Listened through a few times now and it certainly grows on you. I think some won't like it as it doesn't rock out much but it's a very interesting project.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: January 3, 2016 00:01

It is really ground breaking music for any artist at this stage of his career! Still experimenting and growing as an artist, just wish he would tour again!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 3, 2016 03:32

Jazz!!!!! God help us

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Previous page Next page First page IORR home