Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
OT: David Bowie
Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: February 18, 2008 19:39

I was listening last night to a great bootleg of David's. Anyone know what he is doing now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-04 20:14 by bv.

Re: David Bowie
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 18, 2008 19:51

I think he's comfortable being David Jones these days

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 18, 2008 19:57

Or in Suffragette City

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 18, 2008 19:59

I think this is a year or so old, but I love it!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 18, 2008 21:48

tippy2toes
I was listening last night to a great bootleg of David's. Anyone know what he is doing now?

Which one?

I think Bowie's in semi-retirement now. It's best five years (!) since Reality, his longest break between albums. He probably won't be touring again because of his heart scare in 2004, although there have been rumours of residencies at the O2 in 2009.

I'm sure he's still making music. But he fell out with Sony, who were distributing his recent albums.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:15

HOLY SH*T WM !!! - whoa, is that just TOO FUNNY !!! I am LMAO !!! Everyone's standing around being just totally cruel and insensitive - especially Bowie - and it's just SO normal, but they don't take it too far (or give you a little wink) like all the stupid SAT NITE LIVE skits these days were they take it one step too far and ruin the whole vibe. This one's just PERFECT !!! "LITTLE FAT MAN WITH THE FAT NOSE FACE" Man, Bowie still has his acting chops too. God I wish he would get back in the game and make some more great music !!! That Heart Attack/Heart Condition must have really freaked him out BIG TIME - Come Back THIN WHITE DUKE, we need your Kick Ass MUSIC and SONGS for just a little while LONGER !!!! I gotta send this one off to some friends, get them LOL !! Thanks for posting, Helter

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:36

He has a small role in a new film that was just screened at Sundance, AUGUST. From his website:

"My bit was filmed last year not that far from where I live so it felt a little like wandering down the road for a morning paper, dropping into a quiet building and making a quick cameo appearance in a movie and continuing on home to read. Nice. - db"

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: February 18, 2008 22:57

Yes I hope Dave makes at least one more cd of new songs. In the meantime I have to be content on my 2 fabulous sounding bootlegs. I know what it is like to be in poor health. All the best David. We in Canada all love you to come back soon.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 18, 2008 23:14

A genius , the man, nothing more to saysmoking smiley

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 19, 2008 04:19

He's not in Mick's or Keith's league as an actor but he tries hard.
Actually I could see Bowie taking on a whole new career as a sophisticated modern Cary Grant kind of actor. Start sending him the scripts.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 19, 2008 04:31

When he did Arnold Layne with Gilmour, Wright & friends was a great moment imho

..here some more mixed, thou related material [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 06:05 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:41

Baboon Bro
When he did Arnold Layne with Gilmour, Wright & friends was a great moment imho

..here some more recent or late material [www.youtube.com]

Wow,Baboon Bro,that was good stuff. Never saw that one before. I knew that Gilmour was doing Arnold layne on the last tour. I saw it for myself. But I never knew that Bowie sung it 1 night. Must hvae been on a Gilmour European solo tour I assume?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 07:26

He is singing on two songs off of Scarlett Johanson's new album, a disc of cover tunes of Tom Waits!
There is talk he has been working on a new disc, but nothing official. That clip of Arnold Lane is off of Dave Gilmor's last DVD...and you can get the song off of iTunes.

Date: February 19, 2008 07:37

livewithme
Actually I could see Bowie taking on a whole new career as a sophisticated modern Cary Grant kind of actor. Start sending him the scripts.

are you saying Mick/Keith are better actors than Bowie?

Bowie ,imo, is a better actor than Mick, i think he has done more movies than Mick. and Keith , well he one in just one for a few min. and i doubt he will do anymore.

Bowie - Man who fell to earth was great!
Mick was really cool in Man from Eleysian (sp) Feilds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 07:51 by Donkey Girl Scout.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 19, 2008 07:43

livewithme

Bowie not as good actor as Jagger...eh or Richards?? He most certainly is/was a way better actor. BTW, are you thinking about Pirates of the Carribean when including Keith in the statement ?
As far as I'm concerned, Jagger hasn't done any good acting apart from his role in Performance.... unless you count his stage performance as acting

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 07:56 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 19, 2008 07:44

I agree, his role in The Man Who Fell to Earth was tremendous. Also The Hunger, he was very good in that. Additionally, he was phenominal on Broadway as the Elephant Man, neither Jagger or Richards could even come close to that performance. Mick can be good. He was good in Performance and was ok in that movie where he was a high rent male hussler/pimp...can't remember the name, with Andy Garcia and Angelica Houston. Fields of somthing, its on the edge of my baked mind, just can't pull it out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 09:15 by whitem8.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:00

sweetcharmedlWow,Baboon Bro,that was good stuff. Never saw that one before. I knew that Gilmour was doing Arnold layne on the last tour. I saw it for myself. But I never knew that Bowie sung it 1 night. Must hvae been on a Gilmour European solo tour I assume?[/quote

On the ladest David Gilmour's DVD (Remember That Night) there are 2 songs with Bowie - Arnold Layne and Comfortably Numb. Bowie had done quite a good jub, but still..I like those versions withou him (Rick Wright singing) way better

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:09

"Yes I hope Dave makes at least one more cd of new songs"

Only one? While his touring days are probably over, I fully expect to have many more years enjoying new Bowie albums. No other artist has had such a huge affect on my life. Hours, Heathen and Reality are all an artist at the top of his creativity. Do yourself a favour and get them now.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:17

iamthedj
"Yes I hope Dave makes at least one more cd of new songs"

Only one? While his touring days are probably over, I fully expect to have many more years enjoying new Bowie albums. No other artist has had such a huge affect on my life. Hours, Heathen and Reality are all an artist at the top of his creativity. Do yourself a favour and get them now.

I also hope that Dave makes another album - I mean Dave Gilmour :-)

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 19, 2008 14:06

ACTING?!?!? BOWIE KICKED ASS IN THE FOLLOWING -

MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR LAWRENCE
THE HUNGER
ELEPHANT MAN (Live Stage)
BASQUIAT (he played Andy Warhol - effing perfect !!!)
THE LINGUINI INCIDENT
TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME

and a few others, he's ALWAYS been very good, Jagger's been good 2 or 3 times.....

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 19, 2008 15:00

Either he's retired now, perhaps because of his heart failure some years ago, or he's getting ready to take the next spaceship and make his awesome weirdo music again.

Her's to you David. The third on my list of greatest ever musicians/bands.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 15:38

Bowie is a GREAT actor.
He studied mimic gesture with Lindsay Kemp, in late sixties. As well as he was a good theater actor, like Brechtt drama "Baal". And of course, the movies. And if you see his performances on stage, especially in the seventies, you'll see how much acting influenced him (1980 floor show, the whole 1972-73 tour, the thin white duke shows..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-19 15:44 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 19, 2008 17:44

Hope he does a new album..Heathen and Reality are just brilliant.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 14, 2008 12:24

I have posted a new topic last night about his liver cancer. But it seems deleted...angry smiley
David would be in bad condition these days

Date: March 14, 2008 13:25

BOWIE HAS LIVER CANCER!????????
where did you get this story? There is nothing about this on his website, or on bowiewonderworld.com (IORR equivalent for Bowie fans)

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: March 14, 2008 13:35

I really don't think we should say the man has cancer until we know for sure.If this is true, which there is no evidence that this story is true,but if it is, its a terrible thing to hear.

Untill further notice, Bowie is ok.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 14, 2008 14:26

HelterSkelter
ACTING?!?!? BOWIE KICKED ASS IN THE FOLLOWING -

MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR LAWRENCE
THE HUNGER
ELEPHANT MAN (Live Stage)
BASQUIAT (he played Andy Warhol - effing perfect !!!)
THE LINGUINI INCIDENT
TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME

and a few others, he's ALWAYS been very good, Jagger's been good 2 or 3 times.....

And you're forgetting that he was very good in The Prestige and as Pontius Pilate in The Last Temptation of Christ.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 14, 2008 15:44

I've heard the cancer rumor too. It's ao FUBAR if it's true.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 14, 2008 16:26

toomuchforme
I have posted a new topic last night about his liver cancer. But it seems deleted...angry smiley
David would be in bad condition these days

You also posted that it was on yahoo news, and mentioned Sky News as well - yet didnt provide a link

Myself, HelterSkelter and others mentioned that we'd checked those sites as well as google and others and that there was nothing on those sites or anywhere on the web - you still didnt respond by providing a link to the news source.

No wonder it was deleted.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 14, 2008 16:32

Appalling behaviour!

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10