Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: David Bowie
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 20, 2015 06:58

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
RollingFreak
Only 7 songs? Wow. Not that I'm judging him. I actually would rather that. You just don't see it much nowadays.

I kept scrolling thinking I was missing something. Very odd, and honestly makes me a little reluctant. Either way, he does not look too well, skinnier than 2013...
Actually I think he looks great. Yeah, a little worse for wear and tear, and a bit frail, but he is old. IMO, I'm happier to see him out there in full force like in this video than just his head from the Where Are We Now video. That actually makes him look worse. At least embracing his age looks good here, at least to me. Loved the video.

As for the album, I didn't realize ONE song was 10 minutes (although now I'm remembering people comparing it to Station To Station). So its not like it'll be a short album. I think the Sue song from the Things Have Changed box set was like 7 minutes, so now its making more sense why its only 7 songs. Again, I'd prefer that to like the 15-20 he released for The Next Day. Dense stuff and really hard to get through, but maybe that was just me. It started to all sound the same halfway through.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: November 20, 2015 09:42

kowalski

Blackstar video : [www.youtube.com]

This is cool! Very mysterious.

Thanks for posting the link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 09:45 by likecats.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 21:37

I think he looks much better now. He's lost some weight, which it seems like he was bloated from his meds possibly. I am not sure what I make of the new one yet. It'll take me a bit to see how I feel about it.

new bowie song - what do you think?
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 20, 2015 01:12

interesting ideas, but the singing drives me crazy....angry smiley

[pitchfork.com]

Re: new bowie song - what do you think?
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 20, 2015 01:27

Creepy - I'm gonna forget that crap and crank up Exile on Main street...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:14

Cool, thanks for posting. I like how much of the rhythm parts are kind of upbeat double time but that the lyrics and pacing are delivered at half that speed. I wouldn't call it creepy, but perhaps distant, remote, etc. It's like an extension of some of the ground first covered in the darker pieces from Low and Outside. Looking forward to hearing more of his forward-looking pieces. Is that Major Tom's remains in the accompanying vid?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:18

winter
Cool, thanks for posting. I like how much of the rhythm parts are kind of upbeat double time but that the lyrics and pacing are delivered at half that speed. I wouldn't call it creepy, but perhaps distant, remote, etc. It's like an extension of some of the ground first covered in the darker pieces from Low and Outside. Looking forward to hearing more of his forward-looking pieces. Is that Major Tom's remains in the accompanying vid?

yeah musicaly its quite cool. the weird drumbeat. symphonic-psychopop, whatever. but his high-pitched voice is terrible....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 20, 2015 04:19

If there's one reason I haven't liked latter day Bowie, its that I can't stand he sings like that. I miss his great voice he had, and he's been singing like this since 2000. The last time I could stomach it was Hours. Its not as bad live, but of course he doesn't do that anymore. But yeah, definitely one of my main complaints with The Next Day. I despite that whiney time of non-singing that he does on his recent albums.

I'm glad it at least changes a bit in the middle, and you get that natural voice. Now THAT I could listen to a whole album of. He seems to need to put all these effects on it nowadays. I definitely see the Station To Station comparisons, and the video is definitely @#$%& up in the best way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 04:22 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 20, 2015 04:31

A very interesting video. Looking forward to the album

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2015 07:48

Too much fun for this kid ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 20, 2015 09:46

wtf?..A bit too soundtrack-ey overall. I can kind of see the escapism, artsy, tripping without the drugs appeal of it but it ain't my cup of tea. One of those tunes I'm not sure if I need to turn way up or way down to try to get it, I tried both and when I went for the down and got to mute it seemed to work. grinning smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:05

This is far too theatrical for my taste ... Locate Eno again for a future cooperation.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:04

Haha. Crazy comments from Stones people. Obviously you only want pure no-nonsense music. Go back and listen to your "Dirty Work" record then...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:09

nonsense music .....Hhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2015 11:40

Love it (and I'm not a big fan) thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:43

Fabulous. Really thought-provoking which is what Bowie is all about, isn't he. Unsettling yes, but I immediately want to go back to work out what what this song is all about.

Bowie has moved on...has he always did throughout his career. Song based pop ain't his bagt any more. And yes, it's a soundtrack-y, reflective and future pondering as well. I wouldn't want Bowie any other way.

And I kind of got a chill that he might be addressing some kind of terrorism here. The last few minutes make me think that.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 12:02

Silver Dagger
Fabulous. Really thought-provoking which is what Bowie is all about, isn't he. Unsettling yes, but I immediately want to go back to work out what what this song is all about.

Bowie has moved on...has he always did throughout his career. Song based pop ain't his bagt any more. And yes, it's a soundtrack-y, reflective and future pondering as well. I wouldn't want Bowie any other way.

And I kind of got a chill that he might be addressing some kind of terrorism here. The last few minutes make me think that.

Agreed; very impressive.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 20, 2015 12:38

Marvelous song. A classic already.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 20, 2015 13:27

Now who said that older artists can't be creative and innovative?

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 16:06

very original work as often with David Bowie.
the weak point is I think this song is too long.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 20, 2015 16:16

AHHHH I love it! It's brilliantly twisted!

Loved his last LP, THE NEXT DAY.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 20, 2015 16:17

very very impressive. Marvellous Music.

And I like the fact that he has retired as a liveartist. I'm not interested in seing another phoned in "greatesthits"-show.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 20, 2015 16:30

confused smiley Christ I felt asleep second time I watched it...Must be looking for them Stones now to Wake up here....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 16:43

This clearly says one thing - STAY RETIRED!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 20, 2015 17:26

I watched it once. Understand why Bowie fans will like this, but not my cup of tea.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 20, 2015 17:38

Stones50

I think you have posted in the wrong thread.
Your post is supposed to be featured in the "New Stones Album & tour in 2016"-thread...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 20, 2015 17:53

Awful song thumbs down

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 20, 2015 17:56

Thanks for the tip. Going to listen tonight. Whatever I might think of it, it's great there is a new work coming from David Bowie.

Looking forward to a new Rolling Stones album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 17:56 by barbabang.

Date: November 20, 2015 18:15

Blueranger
Stones50

Your post is supposed to be featured in the "New Stones Album & tour in 2016"-thread...

Not

Date: November 20, 2015 18:15

Blueranger
Stones50

I do not thinks o

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home