Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: The Art Of Weaving
Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 12, 2007 23:58

neptune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Markdog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ronnie and Keith were the only true weavers in
> the
> > Stones IMO.
>
>
> This is historically inaccurate. Again, the
> 'ancient art of weaving' has ALWAYS been a part of
> the Stones' sound. Have you listened to any
> Stones music from 1963 to 1974?

I have owed and listened to every Stones album they made, I'm 40, fan since 12. Always great dual guitars, weaving is much different then dual guitars. Keith playing 12 bar rythmn and Mick taylor playing over top is not weaving IMO. Early Brian and Keith had very well practiced rythmn parts worked out on many songs, even this is not quite weaving to me, weaving to me is instantanious not pre-planned and can never be played the exact same way twice. This is the magic of true weaving IMO.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:31

Markdog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith playing 12 bar rythmn and Mick
> taylor playing over top is not weaving IMO. Early
> Brian and Keith had very well practiced rythmn
> parts worked out on many songs, even this is not
> quite weaving to me, weaving to me is
> instantanious not pre-planned and can never be
> played the exact same way twice. This is the
> magic of true weaving IMO.

To me, this hits it right on the head: the fact that it is spontaneous is the difference between Wood/Richards and Jones/Taylor/Richards.

With Jones and Taylor, most parts were planned out, and were quite the same during a tour or even during several tours. Of course, Taylor added his solo's on top, but even these solo's normally followed certain patterns, even though most of the times they were brilliant.

With Wood and Richards it's most of the time a "It's in the key of A, I'll start it and let's see where we go this night" mentality. Solo's, riffs, rythm patterns were loose, and invented on the spot. This also meant it could be hit and miss; Some '78 or '81 gigs are terrible, while some gigs on these very same tours were brilliant shows. Some Ron Wood solo's on a given song were a mess, while the next day he would hit it right on the head.

To me, that has also been part of the excitement of the Stones from '75 to '82. You never knew what you would get: the band could be terrible, but they also could be the greatest band in the world.

Mathijs

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: August 13, 2007 11:33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-24 16:09 by parislocksmith.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2007 18:55

Later that same thread...

After a quick listen I'd say that Brian is most definitely playing a 12 string electric guitar on It's All Over Now. The choppy rhythm playing features the sound of a 12 string, listen closely to the little licks that come in between the berry-esque rhythm during the verses. smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2007 20:09

Not sure if this example already has been posted:

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home