Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: 1981 VIDEO SHOOT in EAST VILLAGE Waiting On A Friend
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 21, 2014 17:47

NoPanic
Saw these shots here before - always nice to bring em up again.Very precious photos when they were young and on top of the world!Thanks schillid

Yes, I've seen these cool pics before on another thread, but it's great to see it posted again. Thanks for sharing, schillid!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 21, 2014 18:12

VBar St. Marks

Dave Ratzlow

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 21, 2014 18:16

2000 LYFH
Mr Jimmy
Great photos, thanks for posting! What's the intersection on the second one? St. Marks Place and ?

1st ave

[vassifer.blogs.com]

Thanks!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 09:45

great story!

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 11, 2015 11:05

I remember this very well, I live in the Village near the St Marks Bar and Grill. The St. Marks Bar and Grill (located at the corner of 1st Ave & 8th Street...AKA... St. Marks Place) has a capacity of about 90 people. The Stones or their record label had put up shots of their L.P."Tattoo You" up on the outside wall of the bar, which they took down right after the shoot (as the L.P. was not out yet.) as they did not want anyone leaking it out.
Keith was sitting on the stoop with his good friend (his name slips my mind right now) who made Keith many leather goods like belts and boots etc.
B.T.W. I have heard many people had thought it was Peter Tosh, well it's not.
The people you see inside the bar besides the Stones and their staff were employees of the St. Marks Bar & Grill. Inside the bar you see the Stones miming to play back of "Waiting On A Friend". But in fact their equipment was hooked up and they did perform live, (probably one of the smallest venues they ever played at) and it was video taped (I have a copy of that). Mick seemed quite drunk (IMHO). One song they did perform live was Jimmy Reed's "Baby, You Don't Have To Go". This was in July 1981

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 11, 2015 11:29

Missed this first time round. The coolest of the @#$%&' cool man. Great story and pix Schill. Hope ya smoked it! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:42

Now this is why I come on IORR, a brilliant insight Schillid, you landed lucky that day. One of the best Stones videos and you were right there at it's conception but to be handed a leopard pattened joint from Keith is the business. What a memory and so cool to have got the photos and have shook hands with keith. That has been one of my bucket list things to do and I got very near to doing it in Sheffield UK in the 90's but as I got near the limo where Keith was shaking hands with fans it pulled away!

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:25

So cool. Thank you for sharing!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:30

very nice

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:33

Nice that people see these pictures or read this story for the first time

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:52

I played a regular weekly gig at that bar for a couple of years after the video was shot. I had no idea they used so much of the interior in the video as it was not so easy to just pull up a video in those days. For me it is nostalgic as the place is long gone. The owner was a crook BTW. We were promised a bonus if the drawer went over a certain amount. Once we asked him to check and found ourselves 3 dollars shy, a patron then ordered a round and the total stayed put. I pissed on his stage and never returned. ST Marks Bar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 18:54 by DoomandGloom.

Date: October 11, 2015 19:27

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-07 15:39 by schillid.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 11, 2015 19:47

Fantastic.. Been there a few times since 98.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:10

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-12 06:58 by schillid.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 11, 2015 21:20

VideoJames
I remember this very well, I live in the Village near the St Marks Bar and Grill. The St. Marks Bar and Grill (located at the corner of 1st Ave & 8th Street...AKA... St. Marks Place) has a capacity of about 90 people. The Stones or their record label had put up shots of their L.P."Tattoo You" up on the outside wall of the bar, which they took down right after the shoot (as the L.P. was not out yet.) as they did not want anyone leaking it out.
Keith was sitting on the stoop with his good friend (his name slips my mind right now) who made Keith many leather goods like belts and boots etc.
B.T.W. I have heard many people had thought it was Peter Tosh, well it's not.
The people you see inside the bar besides the Stones and their staff were employees of the St. Marks Bar & Grill. Inside the bar you see the Stones miming to play back of "Waiting On A Friend". But in fact their equipment was hooked up and they did perform live, (probably one of the smallest venues they ever played at) and it was video taped (I have a copy of that). Mick seemed quite drunk (IMHO). One song they did perform live was Jimmy Reed's "Baby, You Don't Have To Go". This was in July 1981

Any chance of posting that video!?!?

Always loved hanging out in the old St Marks Bar and Grill (no kitchen so really not much of a grill!). Lots of good music--a pass the hat around kind of place.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:22

Well, it's always a good time to post a link to

THIS VIDEO

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 17:38 by schillid.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:46

Not Peter Tosh?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2015 22:26

Yeah, first time I see this. Must have missed it last year. Thanks, really great

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 11, 2015 22:54

What a great story and peace of your life ! unique

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 12, 2015 00:47

Missed this the first time, too; an enviable experience. I think it's been said on this forum that the building with the steps Mick and Keith sit on is also on the cover of Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti >>> [www.feelnumb.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2015 00:51

Always good ta read again schill....
Bet ya still have that joint and ya pretend ta light it up every day .... Hhhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:41

Video-James
But in fact their equipment was hooked up and they did perform live, (probably one of the smallest venues they ever played at) and it was video taped (I have a copy of that). Mick seemed quite drunk (IMHO). One song they did perform live was Jimmy Reed's "Baby, You Don't Have To Go". This was in July 1981

Which other songs did they perform on that location? And did they have an audience witnessing that?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 12, 2015 05:13

Compromise- take a few quick hits, pinch, save and frame that J!

Fantastic :-). Thanks so much sharing/ making me smile.

Date: October 12, 2015 05:33

I did save the end in a little plastic box but it disintegrated after several years.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 12, 2015 05:38

Dec '13

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 12, 2015 05:50

Dumpling Man looks like a swinging joint

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2015 06:12

Good stuff schillid...I believe I've seen these pics and your story in another thread from the past?
Ahhh but nice to see again, and great story!

And nice pic Minsubu.

MingSubu
Dec '13

Same building:

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:54

schillid
it disintegrated after several years.

Did you snort it ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: October 12, 2015 15:42

Yeah Videojames - if you tell us you got that on video why not post it as a real Bootleg series from the vault - you could be king for a day or more...

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:33

NoPanic
Yeah Videojames - if you tell us you got that on video why not post it as a real Bootleg series from the vault - you could be king for a day or more...

S,M,B & G./ video... Will never happen, Mick was so out of it.. Let's just say it looks more like a very late night rough rehearsal. They would never approve to release it.

From the Vault I had much better stuff to offer from 1978 and they had no interest. I even had the 7:30 SNL dress rehearsal show which was so much better then the 11:30 PM live airing (Jagger's voice was still OK then) and they had 0 interest.
I even offered it ( with the whole band skit "not in the 11:30 show") to SNL for one of their "retro specials", they showed a little interest, but never went for it in the end??... Not sure why?? Could be they needed the Stones OK.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home