Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Mick's live singing is terrible now!
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 19, 2007 14:31

What era ya talking about? 70's I'd guess?
Well I was good at climbing trees then...... things change!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 19, 2007 15:04

Im not talking about the 70s Im talking about his abilities as a singer and how he probably could be more spontanous. Like in the 70s and 60s and 80s. Or even some studio songs from the 90s like Love is strong. Soul of Jagger is missing.

Date: June 19, 2007 15:05

And no im not talking about That's how strong my love is.

Posted by: Kirill ()
Date: June 19, 2007 16:28

My opinion is that shuch people as Stones,Dylan,Elvis,Mercury,some others are
beyond any critics.We all are in debt before them.I'm just happy that Mick and Bob still share with us and sad that Freddy and Elvis don't.I don't see youngsters who could come close.
But I'm for the freedom of speech,so it's up to everybody.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 19, 2007 16:33

LA Forum - how about stuff like Laugh I nearly died?, Most of Wandering Spirit? Saint of Me, Out of Tears etc. etc.......

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 19, 2007 18:31

His voice doesnt sound the same ..thats true...but you are saying it in a unkind way....i really dont like the name of this thread....and like you say it. it sure aint true and very mean spirited...ok but we can say some things about the subject. First off all i know Jagger can do on stage what he does in the studio...or in the seventies or sixties(i found his voice in 1990 still very strong btw!)I would like that...if he screamed more...and do those tunes alone...thats what you mean no?....and than on a high energy level like in 78?Now i like his voice still very much especially in the ballads...to be honest i rather listen to BS from the seventies....Jagger can do it the way he did it...but a lot of people would complain than cause than you get a mini tour like the 78 one and they will be playing just one hour and a half....i think than you will hear his old voice!!If he does this now..his voice soon be gone!! can you understand that? So he sings the way he does to give all the fans their Satisfaction!!!that said i think he gives so much...these days...you really cant complain its magic!If you go to their shows bring your taperecorder with you and than you do the screaming old Jagger parts...can you sing? I bet the next day your voice is gone! but you will have your howling....I hope for you that you can listen to yourself than......anyway I understand some points but....it is very very unkind the way you do this.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: June 19, 2007 18:52

slybri74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's nto MY fault. Facts are facts, The man
> REFUSES to sing with any passion anymore. I
> beleive he still can, but refuses to do so.

Ah so he CAN but he refuses to do so....hmmmmmm....why would he do that? Sorry, but I lost the will to live whilst reading this part of your argument.;-)

As to Mick's singing, all singers have off days. Sometimes you just can't hear the monitors, sometimes you have a head cold...etc etc......

I think he does very well these days. Of course, if there's someone out there who can do better, let him come up to the podium and let us all hear how good he is.....lol!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: June 19, 2007 18:53

B.S. he is keeping it together right now!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: hikinglulu ()
Date: June 19, 2007 18:54

As a trained speech and voice therapist, I feel I need to shed some light on this thread. It makes me cringe to listen to Mick's singing in his younger days. The screaming is extremely damaging to the voice and like all parts of our body, the voice is more forgiving in your 20's and 30's. The vocal training he has gotten lately has given him a much richer, stronger and purer tone, which is pleasing to the ear. I find his voice to be mature and controlled. Even better is the fact that because of this voice work, his voice can withstand multiple shows a week. Be grateful that he didn't ruin his voice in his younger days; vocal nodules and surgery would have taken his career way ie Julie Andrews. So count your blessings and enjoy but don't wish for something that could be destructive to him.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: June 19, 2007 18:56

right on sister

Date: June 19, 2007 19:52

And those old shows that i love werent that long...mind you...in the sixties yoube glad they play half an hour...if that was the case today...you would get what you seems to need.

Date: June 19, 2007 19:55

But you have to start a riot

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 19, 2007 22:42

I think slybri74 makes a point that could be well-taken - though some fans here on this board seem to look at criticizing Mick's singing nowadays as sacrilege - but sabotages his argument with needless generalizations.

Jagger is truly an amazing specimen. I have had the privilege of seeing Stones shows since the early 70's and in my opinion his singing has indeed become more 'professional' in the later tours...though nowhere near as passionate throughout an entire show as it was in the halcyon days of '69 - '73.

Thereafter Jagger went into several well-chronicled stages of 'vocal mannerisms' - some most annoying in the '75-76 and in the '81-82 Tours...thought the passion was never in doubt.

Having said that, if one OBJECTIVELY looks at the clips from 1997 that slybri74 provides, there is little doubt that Jagger no longer sings to that particular level throughout an ENTIRE show. The clips from '97 show a stunningly committed performance by the entire band...Keef cooks...and Jagger really shines, throwing EVERYTHING he has to give into the vocal AND physical performance. [I also so much more prefer the B2B stage over the present one, but that is neither here nor there in this discussion]

Nowadays Jagger can reach those heights during several sections of the show...but not for an entire show as he did 35 or even 10-15 years ago. Now he goes into autopilot for a large part of the show. Hearing him sing IORR [especially...ugh!] or HTW or JJF or MISS YOU and yes...sometimes even SFTD...these days is a lesson in AUTOPILOT singing.

Could ANY other performer in our lifetimes EVER keep the level of vocal and physical excellence that Sir Mick has retained until his mid-60's? None come to my mind.

Have his vocal performances been paced by 'autopilot' singing and peaks and valleys of late? I think so, clearly.

Maybe if slybri74 had put it a bit more s-p-e-c-i-f-i-c-a-l-l-y he could have made his point without alienating so many of us...and hit closer to the truth...

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: June 19, 2007 22:48

Mck is perfect. Mick is the Stones! This post sucks and that is that!!!!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: June 19, 2007 22:49

deuce Wrote:
> Long John Stoner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If there was ever a needless thread, this is
> it.
>
>
> Yeah and you've made multiple replies in it

Hey, you're right! What of it?

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 19, 2007 22:52

bassaleman Wrote:
> Mck is perfect. Mick is the Stones! This post
> sucks and that is that!!!!

Well, it's good to see someone take the intellectual approach to this argument...

Date: June 19, 2007 23:03

hikinglulu Wrote:
> As a trained speech and voice therapist, I feel I
> need to shed some light on this thread. It makes
> me cringe to listen to Mick's singing in his
> younger days. The screaming is extremely damaging
> to the voice and like all parts of our body, the
> voice is more forgiving in your 20's and 30's.
> The vocal training he has gotten lately has given
> him a much richer, stronger and purer tone, which
> is pleasing to the ear. I find his voice to be
> mature and controlled. Even better is the fact
> that because of this voice work, his voice can
> withstand multiple shows a week. Be grateful that
> he didn't ruin his voice in his younger days;
> vocal nodules and surgery would have taken his
> career way ie Julie Andrews. So count your
> blessings and enjoy but don't wish for something
> that could be destructive to him.

With all due respect, this is Mick Jagger, the rock star. Not Loa Falkman, the vulgo-opera singer. Listen to him moan Midnight rambler (any boot from 1972 or the studio version) or howl IYCRM (the Hot as hell boot, 1975). It's all about rock n roll.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 19, 2007 23:25

IMO 1975/76 were the worst Mick's years ever. Just listen to LYL album. Today, if Keith does play out of tune during one song, many "nostalgic" fans who idolize the past are saying "what a shame". The same guys, talking about 1975/76 out of tune Mick's singing (not always, of course but very often) are sayning "even so, he was rocking"... So what? The Stones always are rocking...

Date: June 19, 2007 23:30

I love that period.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 19, 2007 23:30

Jagger 1975 featured some of his best vocals ever, 1976 is a different story

Date: June 19, 2007 23:33

And 78 was the top!

Date: June 19, 2007 23:36

i wouldn't expect ANY singer to sound the same thru 40 years of performing

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 19, 2007 23:48

stickydion Wrote:
> IMO 1975/76 were the worst Mick's years ever. Just
> listen to LYL album. Today, if Keith does play out
> of tune during one song, many "nostalgic" fans who
> idolize the past are saying "what a shame". The
> same guys, talking about 1975/76 out of tune
> Mick's singing (not always, of course but very
> often) are sayning "even so, he was rocking"... So
> what? The Stones always are rocking...

To each their own, but I don't like these simplifications...as much as Keith did not play "out of tune" during just one song in Werchter, Nijmegen or Frankfurt, Jagger did not sing out of tune "not always, but very often" in 1975/76.

Date: June 19, 2007 23:50

Its loneley its Jagger ...Elvis and Marvin....those three were kings!!And Al green!!and Jimmy Reed ok??

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 20, 2007 01:21

James Lynn wrote:

"Jagger is fantastic all the time except for some 75 & more 76 stuff."

Some of my all time favourites are from 75 and 76, and that's partly because Mick is so good:

Heartbreaker - LA, July 10, 1975
IYCRM-GOOMC - LA, July 13, 1975
Hand Of Fate - Knebworth, 1976

E.g. Hand Of Fate is Stones' dirty & decadent style at its best. What a band!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:23

"To each their own, but I don't like these simplifications...as much as Keith did not play "out of tune" during just one song in Werchter, Nijmegen or Frankfurt, Jagger did not sing out of tune "not always, but very often" in 1975/76."

retired-dog, my point was that EVEN when Keith does play out of tune during just one song, some people want to "kill" him, not in cases of worse playing. You know, by this logic, even in Hampton (!) Keith was ...problematic- just listen to the UMT and "Little T&A" intros... As for Mick, IMO was very often bad in the middle seventies.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:35

Lets' see you sing them you whiney little maggot.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:47

all i've heard of most recent gig so far is this, and at about 1:02 or something; when jagger says 'schooled,' he effortless tosses out this deep soul lick on it.....

'can mick sing live'...and i'm thinking...well, uh,,,,,

can't wait to hear other lyon clips and read the reviews and such...just had to comment on that soul lick jagger threw in there...just blew me right away...can mick still sing, can his voice still make all the difference live?? jeezum crowe...check out how he's been schoohooohooohooolleeddd at the minute mark here and u tell me..

purty exciting stuff...short clip and weird cellphone cam mix or whatever but is it me or is the bass just stupefyingly annoying clumsy 'parts' in the midst of some real extremely hot firepower here...?
seems like they all showed up on the same day...i'm off searching for live lyon clips...that's my four cents, if u count the first post...

his singing is maturing and his facility is increasing and he couldn't have credibly turned an extemporaneous genuine deep soul singer lick like that if it wasn't authentically deep within him...hey, ever consider that he might be getting even better, deeper...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-20 02:52 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: slybri74 ()
Date: June 20, 2007 02:59

Oh boy he sang "schooooled". Big whoop.
Listen to this. Absolutely horrid.

"Hootbreaker"

"Hope you Gepped my name"

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 20, 2007 03:08

All this from someone who's never even been to 1 show! What a disgrace you are!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home