Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Latest News From Wembley
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 30, 2006 11:31

thanks for that, Finnstone, maybe we'll get a better picture of things, later today, when Multiplex's statement is released.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 30, 2006 11:33

<<<<<<<< Apparently Multiplex will issue a construction schedule update today...doesn't look like it will be good news >>>>>>>>>

Any carpenters out there ? Need your help in constructing a "double scaffold: so that we can ceremoniously hang Tony Blair our PM (who is useless) and John Prescott (our Deputy PM) who is not only useless but a complete twat as well. The two of them seem to happy to preside over national f*** ups and embarrassments again and again and again. It started with the Millenium dome and it continues to this day. Hate to say it, but left in charge, you can be sure that they will contribute to the 2012 Olympics being an equal f*** up and national embarrassment as well.

Time's up boys, yas gotta go. F*** off now if you don't mind, the nation doesn't need you any more.

Date: March 30, 2006 11:40

Tony Blair and John Prescott-
just two more bad, dangerous bastads, in the cesspool of lying lawyers,
that is UK politics.

..they're time is nearly up.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2006 12:15

Wembley stadium officials have been in urgent talks with all the sporting bodies and promoters who are scheduled to stage events there in August and September.

They have been unable to give them any assurances, however, that their events will go ahead at the stadium as it looks increasingly likely that it will not be ready until December at the earliest.

This means that the Football Association will have to find a new home for four major matches, starting with the Community Shield on Aug 13 and a proposed England friendly match on Aug 16. The opening two European Championship qualifiers, against Andorra on Sept 2 and Macedonia on Oct 7, are also likely to be moved.

The Rugby Football League might need to find another venue for the Powergen Challenge Cup final on Aug 26 for which 30,000 tickets have been sold. Many fans have already booked accommodation in the capital so Twickenham might now have to be used as an alternative.

Rock concerts by the Rolling Stones and Robbie Williams are also under threat. The Stones are due to host two concerts there on Aug 20 and 22, and though Wembley have still retained the deposit paid on these concerts they cannot give any guarantee that the concerts will take place at the stadium on those dates.

This is because Multiplex, the builders, have been unable to give Wembley National Stadium Ltd, the FA subsidiary that runs the stadium, a firm date when the redevelopment project will finally be completed.

The last few weeks have seen fresh problems at Wembley. Workers were sent home for a day last week after a roof beam collapsed and there has been concern about the sewers beneath the £757 million, 90,000-seat stadium. This week there was also a sub-contractors' pay dispute which resulted in 120 steelworkers, scaffolders and welders being given notice that their employment will be terminated next Tuesday.

September is now thought to be the earliest date when Multiplex will hand over the keys. But even after they finish the job WNSL will require a further three months to fit out the stadium before it can be opened to the public.

Another concern is that the business plan under which the FA borrowed £433 million from banks to fund the project requires

£40 million in capital and interest to be paid back by September and the FA need revenue from the stadium to fund this.

Daily Telegraph, 30.3.06

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 30, 2006 13:24

well i guess all we wait on now is either where or when the Stones plan to play..and if when..how to get our money back!~

Date: March 30, 2006 13:33

Reasons to be cheerful:

1) The Rolling Stones will play "somewhere/sometime" to make up for the fact that it ain't gonna be Wembley on 20th/22nd August.

2) The nation gets to attend a public hanging: stars of the show are Tony (I'm a useless bastard) Blair and John (I'm additionally a twat) Prescott. I'm trading my front row Keith's side for front row Prescott's side - I wanna see that mothertrucker SWING !

Reason to be not so cheerful:

3) As a nation, we apologise profusely to the rest of the world for quite rightly giving it the impression that we can't organise a piss up in a brewery.

O well ........ life goes on. We stay tuned for news ......

Date: March 30, 2006 13:41

paulywaul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reasons to be cheerful:
>
> 1) The Rolling Stones will play
> "somewhere/sometime" to make up for the fact that
> it ain't gonna be Wembley on 20th/22nd August.

That's just wishful thinking, at this moment in time- but if it keeps you cheerful, then who am i to piss on your parade?

..we await the Multiplex statement-
then maybe we'll hear what Mr Cohl has to say for himself.

Date: March 30, 2006 13:51

<<<<< ..we await the Multiplex statement-
then maybe we'll hear what Mr Cohl has to say for himself >>>>>

Agreed, and hear from Mr Cohl I'm SURE we will !

Date: March 30, 2006 14:28

Perhaps it is time Sir Michael of Richmond pulled a few strings and reminded the local council what a valuable member of the community he is and then suggest what a beautfiul venue Richmond Park would be for a couple of Summer Concerts! The deer can be rounded up and given their own area for a day or two whilst the rest of us enjoy the natural surroundings and relax to some tunes performed by our favourite R&B combo.....

Date: March 30, 2006 14:38

for that to happen Sir Michael of Richmond would need to have a chin-wag
with his old mate, Her Maj- it's a royal park,her deer
(they end up on her dinner plate) and only she could sanction it.

if it comes down to playing in fields belonging to Her Maj,
Hyde Park would seem the sensible/most viable option,
as its heavily-booked, already this summer, for concerts,
and they're isn't any Venison roaming around, to get spooked.

"we don't want any of those IORR lunatics, here spoiling our grazing,
thanks very much!"- (official statement from Richmond Pk. deer)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-30 14:49 by Adrian-L.

Date: March 30, 2006 15:11

Quite so Adrian-L I know HRH wouldn't be impressed, just trying a bit of lateral thinking......puts another slant on 'Her Majesties Request....'!

Date: March 30, 2006 15:19

a “detailed” update on the project’s progress, which is expected to give a likely completion date for the project, will be announced to the Australian Stock Exchange tomorrow. (Friday 31st)

Date: March 30, 2006 16:42

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> Perhaps it is time Sir Michael of Richmond pulled
> a few strings and reminded the local council what
> a valuable member of the community he is and then
> suggest what a beautfiul venue Richmond Park would
> be for a couple of Summer Concerts! The deer can
> be rounded up and given their own area for a day
> or two whilst the rest of us enjoy the natural
> surroundings and relax to some tunes performed by
> our favourite R&B combo.....

Excellent idea. The park is but a 10 minute work from "chez moi", and whilst we RS fans enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the park and some tunes from our fave r & b combo ........ the dog can have fun chasing Maj's rudolfs all over the place; with a bit of luck one will have a heart attack and we can all be dining on royal venison after the show. I think it's a winning suggestion !

Date: March 30, 2006 16:44

<<< Excellent idea. The park is but a 10 minute work from "chez moi", >>>

I meant <<< Excellent idea. The park is but a 10 minute WALK from "chez moi", >>>

Bloody hell, getting dyslexic in my old age !

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 30, 2006 16:47

Maybe they'll do one on the beach down at Brighton (like Fat Boy Slim).

Date: March 30, 2006 16:58

its not exactly Praia de Copacabana!!!

Date: March 30, 2006 17:00

turd Wrote:
> Maybe they'll do one on the beach down at Brighton
> (like Fat Boy Slim).

Not quite the same appeal as Rio...
but 'A Bigger Bang @ Brighton' would certainly generate
alot of 'local' interest...ahem.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 30, 2006 21:48

Radio 5 Live has just reported that Bon Jovi and Take that concerts are off!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: March 30, 2006 21:50

Here`s a link for the above post................

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: maxx ()
Date: March 31, 2006 00:35

You cant open the stadium without sewers.

Its going to take a long time to dig them all up and replace them.

The supports underneath them were not properly laid.

Date: March 31, 2006 00:50

Music stars desert unfinished Wembley
7.19PM, Thu Mar 30 2006

Take That and Bon Jovi are moving the venue of their summer concert dates from Wembley to Milton Keynes Bowl due to delays in building work at the football stadium.

Take That's June 24 and 25 concerts and Bon Jovi's June 10 and 11 concerts scheduled at the troubled venue would now be moved to Milton Keynes.

A spokesman for the Rolling Stones said their Wembley concerts at the end of August were still scheduled: "At this point we're going ahead," he said.

Robbie Williams, who is also due to perform at the venue this summer, has made no statement.

Take That lead singer Gary Barlow said in a statement: "We're more than happy to hold the shows at Milton Keynes Bowl, it's going to look great."

Jon Bon Jovi said: "Having closed the original Wembley Stadium, it would have been a fitting honour to open the new one. However, the most important element was always the live concerts themselves."

The original deadline for completing the stadium had been autumn 2005, but the deadline was extended to the end of January and then March.

Now Wembley's builders are due to release an update on the project's progress.

They are expected to give a date for handing over the 90,000 seat venue to the operators, Wembley National Stadium Limited, reportedly in June.

Construction has been beset by a series of problems including a partial roof collapse, and issues with sewage pipes.

The original £325 million cost estimate for the project has more than doubled to £750 million.

www.itv.com/news

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 31, 2006 00:59

"A spokesman for the Rolling Stones said their Wembley concerts at the end of August were still scheduled: "At this point we're going ahead," he said.

I think that's commonly known as sticking your head in the sand.

Date: March 31, 2006 01:18

Neww BBC post...........Wembley not to open till 2007.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: March 31, 2006 01:21

same as was posted earlier - its quite confusing, because in the next paragraph it only mentions 4 shows in June as being cancelled

maybe its because theyre the only ones that have been CONFIRMED as having been cancelled, I suppose

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:27

GuessWho Wrote:
> Neww BBC post...........Wembley not to open till
> 2007.
>

I understand 2007 is being postponed by the Brits as well....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:33

T&A Wrote:
> GuessWho Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Neww BBC post...........Wembley not to open
> till
> > 2007.
> >
>
>
> I understand 2007 is being postponed by the Brits
> as well....

They are suffering from the Y2K7 virus.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:36

the good news about the postponement of 2007 is that Wembley now stands a better chance of completing in 2006....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:37

T&A Wrote:
> the good news about the postponement of 2007 is
> that Wembley now stands a better chance of
> completing in 2006....

All of which will cause a weird time paradox that can only be solved by the combined efforts of Kirk, Spock, Dr. Who and ferrante.

Date: March 31, 2006 01:59

This might be repeat info. I don't know and I don't rightly give a toss at this stage ............

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Cheers me dears

Date: March 31, 2006 02:21

Gazza Wrote:
> same as was posted earlier - its quite confusing,
> because in the next paragraph it only mentions 4
> shows in June as being cancelled
>
> maybe its because theyre the only ones that have
> been CONFIRMED as having been cancelled, I suppose

The BBC updated their info........the original link didn`t mention the 2007 date for completion.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home