Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dublin concert 'cancelled'
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 28, 2006 00:55

The Rolling Stones concert in Ireland this summer will not go ahead, Dublin High Court heard today.

The revelation came during a court appearance involving music promoters who were challenging the decision of the Office Of Public Works (OPW) to give permission to rival firm Aiken Promotions to stage the Dublin gig on August 18.

Senior counsel Jim O'Callaghan, representing the OPW, said he had been informed by Aiken Promotions that the concert would not be going ahead because the Rolling Stones would not be performing in Phoenix Park.

He said the OPW had no idea why the concert was not going ahead.

Senior counsel Maurice Collins, for MCD, said that it appeared the contract with the Rolling Stones had not materialised and that the band were due to play in Spain on that date.

- Belfast Telegraph -

Re: Dublin concert 'cancelled'
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2006 00:57

Sorry to hear that Gazza...nothing like having them play in your own homeland.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 28, 2006 00:58

Too sad indeed.
Dublin 2003 is a great souvenir for me...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 28, 2006 01:00

it should be interesting to see how the Stones decide to fill this vacancy....it opens the possibility of 3-for-2 swap of Wembley to Tickenham, should the situation at Wembley call for it....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 28, 2006 01:30

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to hear that Gazza...nothing like having
> them play in your own homeland.
>
> ROCKMAN

Gazza is from Northern Ireland!

Date: March 28, 2006 01:36

LOL...well its on the same island and only 100 miles down the road

However, I wasnt going to that show anyway - so no personal inconvenience, but too bad for those who were.

Contrary to what it says on that report, the Stones havent stated that theyre playing Spain on that date, although BV's tour page shows 2 separate Spanish cities in the running for a show on August 16th, so maybe they'll both get lucky.

Still think they might keep it 'open' until we find out whats happening with London, for the reasons T&A states. I also read yesterday that although Phoenix was definitely out, Croke Park was still being considered as an alternative venue.

Date: March 28, 2006 01:47

Whoa....Northern OK didn't know it was a bit touchy...kinda like the Melbourne verses Sydney slaggings that rage down here...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 28, 2006 01:50

or LA vs. SF - same state, but a different nation, politically....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 28, 2006 01:53

I WAS JOKING ANYWAY!

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: March 28, 2006 01:53

T&A,

More like Orange County vs. San Francisco...LA is too wonderfully twisted.... The shows in Dublin in 2003 at the Point were a major highlight for me. I was so close to the stage and the people were so cool. I am really sad the Stones cancelled the show there.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Date: March 28, 2006 01:57

I hope they will find and alternative venue in Dublin. Nice city and nice people, definitely want to go again. Come on Stones, please, i've allready booked an hotel there. Seriously, i hope they will annouce something definitive soon. They don't make things easy for people who travel to see them and have to book hotels and transportations.

Date: March 28, 2006 01:57

ok, I amend to OC v. SF

Date: March 28, 2006 03:29

Rockman Wrote:
> Whoa....Northern OK didn't know it was a bit
> touchy...

I wasnt being 'touchy', hence the 'LOL' smiling smiley

Date: March 28, 2006 03:31

Yeah yeah figured that Gazza...all light hearted stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 28, 2006 04:06

Gazza do you live in Ireland? I thught it was the UK

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 28, 2006 04:13

T&A Wrote:
> or LA vs. SF - same state, but a different nation,
> politically....

There is no city that is in the "same nation" as SF.

Date: March 28, 2006 04:36

sixesandsevensandnines Wrote:
> Gazza do you live in Ireland? I thught it was the
> UK

Northern Ireland, as Big Al pointed out. Which is UK.

Belfast, to be precise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-28 04:37 by Gazza.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2006 14:40

So Gaz. Is it called London or Londonderry and what's all the hububs about that???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 28, 2006 16:21

To be honest the moment I saw they were looking into Aug 16 in Zaragoza I knew the Dublin show would be in trouble. Knowing the trucking distance from the middle of Spain to Dublin, with ferries and all of that. But who I am I to decide on where the trucks go, and how fast they drive? There will be one show in Spain max in that time frame, I think. Not Zaragoza but may be he other one. But I think they need to see what is happening to Wembley Stadium first. With 160,000 ticket buyers in London it is nice to have some openings in case the stadium is not getting ready.

Bjornulf

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 28, 2006 17:43

I'm sorry for all you guys in Dublin. That's painful. And, I'll be even sorrier if they can't do Wembley.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 28, 2006 20:27

Last tour I might already have booked a flight. They could inform us better and sooner! But they don't give a @#$%&

PS: what about London? Sure they know more than us.

Date: March 28, 2006 20:48

As has happened with previous tours, the concept that many people have to book flights to get to concerts (which are usually non-refundable and which get more expensive the longer you wait to book them) is completely lost on concert organisers and promoters

At least when you book a hotel, you can usually cancel without incurring charges.

When its a case of someone taking ill, obviously you usually cant give much notice, but when its something logistical, its another matter.

To be fair, with the widespread media hype over Wembley, had it been a complete non starter for August, I think it would be confirmed by now (not by the Stones people though). At the minute, maybe theres still some hope, but I still think its more likely they wont be playing the new stadium on the scheduled dates.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 28, 2006 23:59

BV is the back up at Twicks for Wembley dates hopeful conjecture at this point, or a reality on paper? I would think that the licensing would be a matter of public reacord and easy to discover, if someone knew the right resources to investigate.

Posted by: gimmieshelter ()
Date: March 29, 2006 01:29

Ah man! I'm in an official state of mourning! sad smiley

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: March 29, 2006 11:53

Gazza Wrote:
>
> Still think they might keep it 'open' until we
> find out whats happening with London, for the
> reasons T&A states. I also read yesterday that
> although Phoenix was definitely out, Croke Park
> was still being considered as an alternative
> venue.
>

Aye - the tone of the article in yesterdays irish times was that the concert in the Park was definitely off, but that wasn't to say there would be no Irish date as of yet. On t'other hand, it's getting a bit close to start fannying about with trying to find alternative accomodation. Which brings me to Croke Park. Alas, I think that they only allow three concerts a year there and presently the acts playing are Bon Jovi, Robbie Williams and *gasp* Billy Joel.

Be still my beating heart, etc etc etc

Date: March 29, 2006 15:04

You know what the GAA are like - if someone dangles a big enough cheque their way, anything could happen

Theres also still room after Cardiff to reschedule a show, although not much as the stadium would be used for several all-Ireland finals in september

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: March 29, 2006 16:32

Gazza Wrote:
> You know what the GAA are like - if someone
> dangles a big enough cheque their way, anything
> could happen
>
> Theres also still room after Cardiff to reschedule
> a show, although not much as the stadium would be
> used for several all-Ireland finals in september

Tsk - i'll thank you not to throw asparagus at the Grab All Association....

It's not within their gift to have another gig there...the residents surrounding Croke Park have agreed that it's 3 gigs and a handful of all ireland matches that go on there.

this was interesting mind...from a site run by MCD, one of the promoters at the tussle over the last few weeks... - Ctrl F for mhoram

[www.oxegen.ie]

Date: March 29, 2006 16:48

Looks like Hot Press were talking out of their arses then, re: a gig (although Billy Joel only confirmed his show a day or two ago..)

thanks for the MCD link. So "a little birdy" told the Stones that Phoenix Park wasnt a great venue and they pulled out? Shit, the trauma of playing field shows hasnt exactly stopped them before

Plus its not like there are no other venues......Marlay Park, Dalymount etc. They could have ventured further afield and played Nowlan Park even.

Sod it, they shoulda came north and played Windsor Park instead. After 41 years its about time. I could have died happily after a gig there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-29 16:56 by Gazza.

Date: March 29, 2006 19:35

That really is terrible news Gazza. I guess you'll be going to Wembley then...

Date: March 29, 2006 20:44

I dont think ANYONE will be going to Wembley! (see the other thread)

I was going to the London shows anyway - however I was never intending to go to the the Dublin show

No inconvenience for me, personally - but too bad for those who were depending on this one and who had made plans around it

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home