Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Latest News From Wembley
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 29, 2006 14:31

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would've thought it MORE likely that they
> reschedule as opposed to cancelling. London is big
> draw and no way would they not play they're
> hometown. They'd have reschedule like they did
> during the Bridges tour.

I'd agree,i can't see another option- but BV has categorically, stated
on Tell Me, that reschedulling for '07 isn't going to happen.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 29, 2006 14:37

<<<<<<<<<<< I've no idea- it would have to be an 'open field' type show,
(there are no other London Stadia capable of holding the numbers of tickets already sold)
but of course, that would involve, at the very least, a partial refund for approx 140,000 Wembley ticket holders.
The logistics of that, seem impractical, to say the least...

that's why i think they'll have to cancel/reschedule,
for when Wembley is finished.
Either summer of '07 (which Bv has categorically dismissed),
or even Winter 06- don't forget Wembley will have a roof. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A ROOF ??????

Well that's it then ! BINGO ! No weather to consider, so take your time boys n girls - you lot that are buildin' the mothertrucker. Just finish it in time for Christmas 2006, that's all I ask. Postponement till Chrissy 2006 sounds mighty fine to me. Of course, that means the boys will have to keep the show ON THE ROAD till the sodding thing is finished. Is that such dreadful news ? It might mean .................. MORE SHOWS !!! Now how would we ever cope with that ?

Date: March 29, 2006 14:41

Read all about the Wembley sliding roof design, here:-

[www.wembleystadium.com]

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 29, 2006 14:48

I started a thread and no one answered but I imagine the Twickenham licensing is a matter of public record. Can't someome with access to the right resources put ths issue to rest for us? I am happy for those that can handle a re-scheduling, but for some of that is just as bad as a cancellation, maybe worse if they don't allow for refunds.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 29, 2006 15:00

paulywaul Wrote:
> <<<<<<<<<< I know
> you can't always(ever?) believe what you read in
> the Press but if this is true then Twickenham will
> definitely have run out of music licences come
> August....!
> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g
> t;>>>
>
> Which realistically means that this much discussed
> notion that 2 x Wembley is likely to be replaced
> by 3 x Twickers is a load of $%&#@# and has
> f*** all chance of happening ! >

not necessarily. Priority would surely be given to whoever applied for the licences first, not in the date order in which the concerts were due to take place

Date: March 29, 2006 15:02

Concerts At Twickenham (from RFU.COM)

The RFU has been successful in gaining consent to stage up to three concerts at Twickenham Stadium between Jume and October 1st in any calendar year.

Francis Barron, RFU Chief Executive said, "We are pleased at the outcome and are keen to work with the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames to make this an outstanding success for Twickenham and the local community."

The Secretary of State's Inspector, Mr J I McPherson, in giving his decision noted, " The present loss of Wembley Stadium has left the London area short of a venue for the large concerts which used to be staged there. There is considerable demand for such concerts on a worldwide scale and there is a need for some to be held in the UK, preferably the London area, in order to benefit the music industry. At the same time, these concerts would also benefit the tourism industry and the game of rugby union, which is an important component of civilised life."

The Inspector also noted that notwithstanding the RFU's contention that Twickenham Stadium could lawfully be used for concerts, the RFU had chosen to submit a planning application. This gave an opportunity for the matter to be fully discussed. The Inspector imposed a number of conditions which mirrored the restrictions and benefits the RFU had already willingly offered.

The RFU voluntarily gave an undertaking to the local authority which will ensure substantial investment being made in transport, access and safety measures in the stadium area. This will cover the likes of CCTV cameras, cycle routes, pedestrian crossings, signage, parking enforcement and publicity covering all transport and travel related to events at Twickenham. Numbers attending will be a third less than at international matches and significant investment will be made in measures like shuttle buses, which have over the past season increased from ferrying 1,500 supporters out of the area post match to transporting 9,000 fans, an increase of 500% using the free service.

Date: March 29, 2006 15:19

OK, but what does this tell us that we by and large don't already know - which is that they've got permission for three shows and the Eagles are one of them, dunno who the other is - even if there is another actually booked at this time. But either way, 2 x Twickers doesn't really accomodate the some 160,000 Wembley ticket holders, does it ? I mean 2 x 80,000 into 2 x 50,000 or 55,000 (whatever Twickers holds) doesn't go. Even with my failure at O level maths I can work that one out !

Date: March 29, 2006 15:26

The Eagles is the only show officially confirmed for Twickenham this summer, pauly

Assuming all tickets have been made available for Wembley (which may be a stretch), thats 72-75,000 x 2 = from 144 - 150,000 tickets

Twickenham held 52,000 when used for the shows in 2003. So, it can accommodate 104,000 people for two shows. They'd realistically need a 3rd show there to cater for everyone.

I dont know how strict the "3 shows per year" stipulation is and whether they could get special permission to add an extra night or not given the circumstances. I would imagine that if they booked Twickenham as an 'option' they would have been aware of the shortfall of 20,000 + tickets per show.

Wouldnt they??

Date: March 29, 2006 16:42

<<<<<<<<<<< I dont know how strict the "3 shows per year" stipulation is and whether they could get special permission to add an extra night or not given the circumstances. I would imagine that if they booked Twickenham as an 'option' they would have been aware of the shortfall of 20,000 + tickets per show.

Wouldnt they?? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Even if they were as crap at maths as I am, they surely would have retained an awareness (as you suggest) of a potential shorfall of 20,000 plus per show - in this event that Wembley isn't ready ? Makes sense to you and I certainly, but DID they actually retain that awareness as part of a backup plan ? We don't know. And what flexibility there is on this "3 show limit" ....... we also don't know.

Bollards, ain't think' about it. What will be will be. Anyway, my preferred option is Wembley Xmas 2006 under a roof, with not ONE but TWO amazonian goddesses for company, lashings of baby oil for fun and games, fizz by the bottle to quench the inevitable thirst, and a front row seat from which to enjoy the show. And I'm NOT sharing any of it with anyone; neither the seat, nor oil nor fizz - and certainly not the goddesses ! So there !!

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 29, 2006 17:02

Personally I'm against amazonian goddesses attending and therefore depriving true fans of the chance to....blah! blah! blah!

Date: March 29, 2006 17:14

as long as they dont whinge about the setlist, they can sit anywhere they like...

literally....

Date: March 29, 2006 17:15

Gazza Wrote:
> as long as they dont whinge about the setlist,
> they can sit anywhere they like...
>
> literally....

that will get the thumbs-up from Ablett, anyway.

Date: March 29, 2006 17:17

I know theres a double entendre in there, but I refuse to rise to the bait....

Date: March 29, 2006 17:20

Can someone...anyone...put this all to rest and just figure out how to get the info from TWICKENHAM? I mean do they have any kind of public information office, agent, anything? As I have said, I would have thought that this was a matter of public knowledge.I mean we are not talking about releasing tickets, announcing shows , etc, just a simple"have you licensed these two shows."

Date: March 29, 2006 17:26

Speak to me nicely and promise to write an EVEN longer and MORE comprehensive review of that Shanghai show you're going to - you lucky bastard ...... and when I get home from this god forsaken bloody desert in a couple of weeks time I'll duly round up the rest of the SW London IORR posse, we'll get good n' drunk somewhere, storm the info booth at Twickers at dawn and speak to a man/woman/child/dog in the know - and get your information.

Do we have a deal ?

Date: March 29, 2006 17:34

My God Pauly, another couple of weeks with the rumour mill and my ulcer will bleed. And the pressure of the Shanghai review too! But I promise, if I die with a GI bleed I leave you all extra tickets...and give up my place in Line for the Gazza Godesses, which I believe to quote an ealier post of his, would then give you "soggy seconds.' Hhahahaa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-29 17:44 by kahoosier.

Date: March 29, 2006 17:42

<<<<<<<<<<<< another couple of weeks with the rumour mill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know, I know, it's all rubbish and conjecture really, but it DOES keep us amused. Personally, I'm waiting for Sir Keith to get us out of this fine mess and announce that we can all come round to his summer garden party at Redlands on the south coast and have ourselves a very special Rolling Stones show there ! Rumour has it that he invites Mick n' Ron n' Charlie round for these summer extravaganzas in the garden; it's all tea, cucumber sandwiches and loud versions of Gimme Shelter ! Frightfully British and ever so civilised !

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: March 29, 2006 17:56

kahoosier Wrote:
> Can someone...anyone...put this all to rest and
> just figure out how to get the info from
> TWICKENHAM? I mean do they have any kind of public
> information office, agent, anything? As I have
> said, I would have thought that this was a matter
> of public knowledge.I mean we are not talking
> about releasing tickets, announcing shows , etc,
> just a simple"have you licensed these two shows."

Can't be arsed clicking and reading 'em all, but this is as good a starting point as any

[www.ukplanning.com]

Date: March 29, 2006 17:56

kahoosier Wrote:
> Can someone...anyone...put this all to rest and
> just figure out how to get the info from
> TWICKENHAM? I mean do they have any kind of public
> information office, agent, anything? As I have
> said, I would have thought that this was a matter
> of public knowledge.I mean we are not talking
> about releasing tickets, announcing shows , etc,
> just a simple"have you licensed these two shows."

As i posted, earlier in the thread, the best source of information,
for all things Twickers Stadium is www.rfu.com

Though- i can assure you ,that as a local resident (2 mins walk away), the stadium does have a limit of
3 CONCERTS PER SUMMER AND THEY HAVE TO BE AT A WEEKEND

...however, i am sure that "back-handers" to the local council, could persuade them otherwise (though i must tell you, that the local residents group, think that 3 gigs per annum, is too many and any increase,
(backhanders-induced or not) will be resisted and protested to the max.

Date: March 29, 2006 18:04

<<<<<<<<<< that the local residents group, think that 3 gigs per annum, is too many and any increase, (backhanders-induced or not) will be resisted and protested to the max >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sadly, I can well believe that. Bastards ! I HATE residents groups !

Date: March 29, 2006 18:05

lets have the shows at Arsenal's brand new stadium instead, then

Its not even that far from Wembley so most of us wont even have to change hotels

they can even promote the shows with the snappy tag of "A Bigger Bang Up The Arse"

Who could resist?

Date: March 29, 2006 18:07

Gazza Wrote:

> they can even promote the shows with the snappy
> tag of "A Bigger Bang Up The Arse"

yep- very good Gazza, and Arsene Wenger would be given complimentary,
FOS tickets, and when asked afterwards, how he'd enjoyed the concert,
he'd reply

"i didn't see anything"

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 29, 2006 18:14

"that will get the thumbs-up from Ablett, anyway.'.... nice to see your thinking of me Adrian-L.

Would be a good move to have the Stones play at Arsenal's brand new stadium cause its the only way the gooners are ever gonna fill it!!!!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 29, 2006 19:48

How big is the gunners'new stadium?

Date: March 29, 2006 20:19

Will hold about 60,000 apparently

Looks like we're gonna need something. Today's Daily Mail 'exclusively' reveals that the stadium wont be ready until the autumn and that the summer concerts scheduled for the stadium wont be happening. No mention of alternative arrangements however

Date: March 29, 2006 20:24

Will Wembley be ready this year?

Last Modified: 29 Mar 2006
Source: ITN

Rugby Football League officials are confident that Wembley will be able to host this year's Challenge Cup final, despite reports that the stadium may not now be ready until 2007.

The Football Association has already been forced to switch the FA Cup Final on May 13 to Cardiff along with the Football League's play-off finals because of delays in finishing Wembley's £757 million redevelopment.

England's final World Cup warm-up matches have also been moved to Old Trafford and it is thought that rock concerts - Bon Jovi (June 11), Take That (from June 24) and Rolling Stones (from August 20) - could have to be switched to English rugby headquarters Twickenham.

Wembley Stadium contractors are due to hold talks in a bid to avoid hundreds of workers being laid off in a pay dispute, which is the latest blow to the project.

Workers were sent home for a day last week after a roof beam collapsed and there have been problems with the sewers under the 90,000-seat stadium.

The Rugby League has already sold more than 30,000 tickets for the August 26th final and are closely monitoring the situation.

An RFL spokesman said: "We have a contract with the stadium to play the Powergen Challenge Cup final there on August 26 and, until we are told differently, that remains the situation. If the worst-case scenario arose, we would consider other options but that has not arisen."

The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff has hosted the last three finals but is unavailable on August 26 due to a Rolling Stones concert.

Murrayfield and Twickenham have also been used since the last Rugby League Cup final at Wembley in 1999.

And it is thought that Twickenham would be the favoured choice for any contingency since thousands of supporters have already booked hotels in the capital.

ITN News.com

Date: March 29, 2006 20:40

AUTUMN KICK-OFF FOR WEMBLEY

by Charles Sale

Wembley Stadium will not hold sports matches until at least the autumn, the Mail has learned.

The main contractor, Australian form Multiplex, is expected to confirm later this week that the stadium will not be handed over until August.

That means it is unlikely to be granted essential health and safety certificates in time for the Community Shield match on August 13, the proposed England friendly on August 16 and the Rugby league Cup final on August 26.

It will also rule out autumn internationals against Andorra and Macedonia and the planned series of summer concerts featuring The Rolling Stones, Take That, Bon Jovi and Robbie Williams .

The revelation came as hundreds of workes on the half-finished stadium were told they will be laid off next week because of a cash crisis. Some 200 steelworkers, welders and scaffolders struggling to complete the troubled project were given formal notice that their employment will be terminated on Tuesday, because sub-contractors claim they could not have been paid.

This could push the completion date of the £757 million stadium - already three years late - even further back than August. Multiplex is set to make losses of up to £200 million on the Wembley project after signing a deal to delivere it to the Football Association at a fixed price

- Daily Mail 29.3.06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-29 20:40 by Gazza.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 29, 2006 21:02

I heard that Jon Bon Jovi can use a wrench! smiling smiley

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: March 29, 2006 21:07

<<<<<<<<< It will also rule out autumn internationals against Andorra and Macedonia and the planned series of summer concerts featuring The Rolling Stones, Take That, Bon Jovi and Robbie Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, so it's everyone round to Redlands for one of Sir Keith's later summer garden extravaganzas ! Great !

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 29, 2006 21:39

paulywaul Wrote:
> >
> OK, so it's everyone round to Redlands for one of
> Sir Keith's later summer garden extravaganzas !
> Great !
>

Keiths garden at Redlands is hardly big enough for a chimps tea party.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home