Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 15, 2023 14:32

Doxa
Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
StonedRambler

Then you must hate Ya-Yas and Love You Live.

I don't have an opinion on Love You Live, but I do absolutely love Get Yer Ya'Ya's Out! I'm not insane. Yes, I understand there are supposedly a few subtle overdubs on the latter, but it's minimalistic. Today, the Stones perform very differently, and with the somewhat ropey present-day live performances in mind, latter guitar overdubbing and studio tinkering is that much more noticeable. Bottom line: to my ears, it's startlingly noticeable.

Almost all of the Ya-Ya vocals are recorded in the studio.

Ah, okay. To me, that matters less than instrumentation, though. 'Almost all' Really??

The most notable is the chorus of "Jumpin' Jack Flash". What Mick sang originally was something totally different - the half-spoken "It's alright, yeah, it's alright.." . Mick (and Keith doing the back vox, something he did not do at all originally) replaced it with proper singing, mimicking the studio version: "It's aaalriiiiiight..."

If one wants to hear how the original live chorus went for a comparison, it could be found on GIMME SHELTER movie.

- Doxa

Yep, that's well above "correcting bum notes and flapped vocals/lyrics" as it was actually changing the original live arrangement. Still love the YaYa's version, though, despite the fact that this was not what people heard at the respective concert(s).

Date: December 15, 2023 14:37

powerage78
Rolling Stones live records illusion drinking smiley

It's a long way to Thin Lizzy, though smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 15, 2023 14:40

Big Al
powerage78

Ha! I think I'll stick with the grainy YouTube footage! No, I do jest. I'll have a proper listen when home this evening. I'll reserve genuine judgement, somewhat. However, Keith's rhythm-overdub on Bite Your Head Off is jarringly obvious to my ears, still. I wasn't even the firs to notice and comment on it!

Wot, you will have a proper listen to judge if there are overdubs or not? What about simply listening to enjoy the music?

People, these guys are app. 80 years old - and it was a one-off show, outside of a tour and lengthy rehearsals. So if I could forgive overdubs for an official release it's on this occasion! No need for "warts 'n all"!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 15, 2023 14:46

The Stones always have to be sanitised for the general public.

They just can't assimilate that glorious ramshackle noise that we so love grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 15, 2023 14:54

retired_dog
Doxa
Big Al
StonedRambler
Big Al
StonedRambler

Then you must hate Ya-Yas and Love You Live.

I don't have an opinion on Love You Live, but I do absolutely love Get Yer Ya'Ya's Out! I'm not insane. Yes, I understand there are supposedly a few subtle overdubs on the latter, but it's minimalistic. Today, the Stones perform very differently, and with the somewhat ropey present-day live performances in mind, latter guitar overdubbing and studio tinkering is that much more noticeable. Bottom line: to my ears, it's startlingly noticeable.

Almost all of the Ya-Ya vocals are recorded in the studio.

Ah, okay. To me, that matters less than instrumentation, though. 'Almost all' Really??

The most notable is the chorus of "Jumpin' Jack Flash". What Mick sang originally was something totally different - the half-spoken "It's alright, yeah, it's alright.." . Mick (and Keith doing the back vox, something he did not do at all originally) replaced it with proper singing, mimicking the studio version: "It's aaalriiiiiight..."

If one wants to hear how the original live chorus went for a comparison, it could be found on GIMME SHELTER movie.

- Doxa

Yep, that's well above "correcting bum notes and flapped vocals/lyrics" as it was actually changing the original live arrangement. Still love the YaYa's version, though, despite the fact that this was not what people heard at the respective concert(s).

Yeah, I love the YA-YA'S version - actually it was initially THE version of the song I was most impressed with - it even shadowed the stunning studio version (even today, when I think of "Jumpin' Jack Flash" guitar riff, the reference to me is this one). Later it was a huge let down when I learned that the vocals were 'fake' big time since I truely love the way Mick and Keith harmonize in the chorus - that sounded essential to the version. But after some time I get to cope with it, and started see it as a masterful recording in its own terms, no matter the 'source'. Authenticity my ass..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-15 14:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: December 15, 2023 15:09

Overdubs or not, you can clearly hear the pitch correction on Mick's vocals. I think it makes this performance sound a lot better than the youtube vids.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 15, 2023 15:51

Sounding really good actually, much better than the videos. Overdubs? Whatever, the guitars are nice and clear and raucous. The tracks are better than I was expecting.

Can't seem to find 'Sweet Sounds' on YouTube, the other six are there though.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 15, 2023 15:56

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-18 14:00 by Irix.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 15, 2023 16:52

Just gave the Live Edition a first listen and love it, of course! It would have been cool if they did the entire album!

Date: December 15, 2023 16:58

Thanks Irix, it's the live album version of Sweet Sounds I cant find - with the artwork of the new edition. The other 6 are all there, uploaded today.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 15, 2023 16:59

Sweet Sounds Of Heaven sounds like it has a weird edit at about 4:32 or so.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: December 15, 2023 17:38

I really wanted to hear keith¨s guitar on Bite My Head Off, what it sounded like with that we saw on the videos....and it was completely gone...looked like he was just hammering that E chord .. It coudn´t have sounded that bad that they decided to wipe it out completely?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-15 17:41 by dedospegajosos.

Date: December 15, 2023 17:44

Whole Wide World is rocking on this - the whole lot is good, definitely has a spark and magic to it, it's not '78 or '72 but it's quality rock'n'roll.

Whole Wide World though I've had on 3 or 4 times already this afternoon. Ronnie channelling Neil Young/Crazy Horse on those solos (like the album version). May even prefer this to the studio version.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 15, 2023 18:36

dedospegajosos
I really wanted to hear keith¨s guitar on Bite My Head Off, what it sounded like with that we saw on the videos....and it was completely gone...looked like he was just hammering that E chord .. It coudn´t have sounded that bad that they decided to wipe it out completely?

I don’t understand the decision, either. His guitar is a little muffled on the YouTube videos we’ve all seen, but he’s audible and playing just fine, in my opinion. What we get with this live release is an unnecessary change.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 15, 2023 18:51

dedospegajosos

Imo studio version it's played by Mick, Ronnie and Andy. No Keith.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: December 15, 2023 19:03

Will the live album be available on vinyl? Does anybody know?

Date: December 15, 2023 19:20

2CD Unboxing:

[www.YouTube.com]

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: December 15, 2023 19:46

Does anyone else hear a faint sax on Angry? Specifically during the chorus? Gives me hope that they'll have a brass part for this song live. In my opinion this song would have been even better with a Bitch style horn section.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 15, 2023 19:57

I always loved the Gimme Shelter version of JJF for that very reason -- AND the killer solo in Satisfaction.

T@3

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 15, 2023 20:12

Irix
2CD Unboxing:

[www.YouTube.com]

a 3.5 minute unboxing video for a CD, that's pretty funny. I like the knife at the beginning.

It would have been great to include a mini replica set list of the show, the one Ronnie did, like the one they are selling instead of the printed one.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 15, 2023 20:19

UK Albums chart:

01 25,360 The Killers - Rebel Diamonds [16,487 CDs, 5,588 vinyl, 474 downloads, 2,811 streaming]
02 13,528 Michael Bublé - Christmas
03 13,314 Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday 2
04 12,303 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)
05 11,227 Tate McRae - THINK LATER
06 8,937 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds [total: 139,846, including 80,975 CDs, 42,812 vinyl, 1,310 Blu-rays, 129 cassettes, 6,688 downloads, 7,932 streaming]
07 7,329 The Weeknd - The Highlights
08 7,197 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
09 6,909 Take That - This Life
10 6,821 Noah Kahan - Stick Season

From today's Music Week:

"Before this year, only one diamond title had sparkled at the top of the chart – Diamond Dogs, which was No.1 for David Bowie in 1974 – but now there are three. The latest, The Killers compilation Rebel Diamonds, tops the chart this week, just seven weeks after the second, the Rolling Stones’ new album, Hackney Diamonds. The latter title spends its eighth straight week in the Top 10, retreating 5-6 (8,937 sales). With to-date consumption of 139,846 units (80,975 CDs, 42,812 vinyl albums, 1,310 Blu-rays, 129 cassettes, 6,688 digital downloads and just 7,932 sales-equivalent streams), it thus surpasses the seven weeks their last album of new recordings, Blue & Lonesome, spent in the Top 10 in 2016, and becomes their longest-running Top 10 entry since Sticky Fingers racked up 15 weeks in a row way back in 1971.

Hackney Diamonds is unlikely to relinquish its Top 10 status just yet – it was today released in a new ‘Live Edition’ featuring an additional seven tracks recorded at an October gig at New York’s Racket club. For any act to spend eight straight weeks in the Top 10 mostly (89.55%) on physical sales is remarkable in this chart era – all the more so since The Rolling Stones’ average age is 78."

Date: December 15, 2023 20:25

'Hackney Diamonds' again #1 in Germany - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

Date: December 15, 2023 20:44

These are fantastic, and frankly stunning results in Europe.

A pity the North American market will buy concert tickets, but not new music for the band they purportedly love.

Canada is #86...the US number for last week, (updates Sunday) is #136, after 7 weeks.

I did notice the plethora of Christmas albums on the charts, I'm sure these low rankings would be at least 30 higher without them...but still not good after only 7 or 8 weeks of sales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-15 20:50 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 15, 2023 21:55

powerage78

And that's what live records are about. Creating an illusion of the absolute perfect concert experience.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 15, 2023 22:28

Instead of Hackney Diamonds live double cd amazon sent me a casio calculator I've never
asked them for...eye rolling smiley
Well,thank you for nothing, still be able to count up to 3 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 15, 2023 22:45

shortfatfanny
Instead of Hackney Diamonds live double cd amazon sent me a casio calculator I've never
asked them for...eye rolling smiley
Well,thank you for nothing, still be able to count up to 3 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Oh yeah, some girls give me children...I never asked them for. So there's that.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 15, 2023 22:55

StonedRambler
powerage78

And that's what live records are about. Creating an illusion of the absolute perfect concert experience.

For the Stones certainly, but not for all bands, sorry.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 15, 2023 23:13

powerage78
StonedRambler
powerage78

For the Stones certainly, but not for all bands, sorry.

You'd be suprised that almost every major label live recording these days is heavily edited and melodyned. Even those from the best performers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-15 23:14 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: lelandsundries ()
Date: December 15, 2023 23:15

loving the live album today. ron's solo on TD is so country and rad! shattered is great. angry and heaven sound awesome. how @#$%& lucky are we that these guys are doing out there making and putting out music?!

interesting about the overdubs on the new one. i had no idea. thanks for cluing me in!

in terms of the warts-and-all live albums, a lot of the vault releases have had warts. the songs with john lee hooker and bo diddley are each pretty rough. glad we got to hear those as is, though.

(we need a proper live release of steve jordan on satisfaction where he plays the full, insistent 4:4 backbeat! read an interview recently (maybe in mojo?) where steve said that charlie stopped playing all 4 hits sometime around the year 2000.)

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 15, 2023 23:25

Irix
'Hackney Diamonds' again #1 in Germany - [www.OffizielleCharts.de] , [www.OffizielleCharts.de] .

smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home