Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Date: October 23, 2023 14:51

meck1211
CD or LP?

Is there a difference?
Tomorrow i‘m going to buy.

Both sounds great, imo. However, the vinyl is mastered low (I have to turn it up, compared to other newer releases by any band, really), and the dynamics seem better.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 23, 2023 14:58

Doxa

And oh yeah, I also agree that the weak link in otherwise great "Rolling Stone Blues" is, surprisingly, Mick's vocals. I think he holds his horses a bit there, I would have expected a stronger performance (based on what he, for example, does on BLUE & LONESOME).

- Doxa

Here, Mick and "I'm trying a bit too hard" on many occasions on HD find their limits, which is quite logical on a stripped-down, even minimalist blues.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 23, 2023 15:09

Doxa
A nice review, Dandie. At the moment I disagree with something you say (like I am not that big fan of Macca tune - at least yet), but I wholeheartedly agree that "Whole Wide World" is the best Stones song for a long time. It is novel, fresh and with all of its musical and lyrical references they haven't sounded so English since BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (damn, at one point I hear even The Clash and "London Calling" entering). The chorus alone is so damn well written and catchy and perfect in a rocker that it is almost unique in their catalog, at least since the melodic pop-era 60's (What catchy choruses there really have been 'lately'? "She Was Hot"? "Mixed Emotions"?). But yeah, probably I will talk about this tune more in its own thread some day.

And oh yeah, I also agree that the weak link in otherwise great "Rolling Stone Blues" is, surprisingly, Mick's vocals. I think he holds his horses a bit there, I would have expected a stronger performance (based on what he, for example, does on BLUE & LONESOME).

- Doxa

Yes, it seems so.

It could also be that we're used to the melody line he's singing here (which is awesome).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2023 15:25

powerage78
Doxa

- Doxa

Here, Mick and "I'm trying a bit too hard" on many occasions on HD find their limits, which is quite logical on a stripped-down, even minimalist blues.

Yeah, but I hear there a clear artistic choice in how to deliver the song. He take its smoothly, almost tenderly humbles the lines and of course, using there some of his usual trademark tricks. He is not even trying to touch the waters (sic) in where the Muddy original or some of those early versions of "Catfish Blues"/"Deep Sea Blues" swim in. The vocals are so raw, big and powerful in those. Here it is like the old and clever "Little Red Rooster" strategy; not trying even resemble Howling Wolf, but make it charming, poppish and English, so to say.

I don't know. Probably part of it 'taking it easy' and not shouting one's lungs out - something Mick also can do - is like paying homage to Muddy. Like 'We are just eternal schoolboys here in compared to the master, and never thinking setting our feet into his shoes'...

But don't get me wrong. This is just minor criticism - what Mick actually does sounds damn fine. It is just me having some probably unrealistic expectations...

- Doxa

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 23, 2023 15:25

Imo Mick's vocals on Rolling Stone Blues is perfect.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2023 15:40

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
A nice review, Dandie. At the moment I disagree with something you say (like I am not that big fan of Macca tune - at least yet), but I wholeheartedly agree that "Whole Wide World" is the best Stones song for a long time. It is novel, fresh and with all of its musical and lyrical references they haven't sounded so English since BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (damn, at one point I hear even The Clash and "London Calling" entering). The chorus alone is so damn well written and catchy and perfect in a rocker that it is almost unique in their catalog, at least since the melodic pop-era 60's (What catchy choruses there really have been 'lately'? "She Was Hot"? "Mixed Emotions"?). But yeah, probably I will talk about this tune more in its own thread some day.

- Doxa

Yes, it seems so.

It could also be that we're used to the melody line he's singing here (which is awesome).

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah. Here Mick is much more on the driver seat of what he does. Strong, shameless and effective. Emotions are acted or referred but expressed. Straight to the point.

Add there something something rough he does in "Hate To See You Go" and oh-la-la, my dream "Rollin' Stone" would be there...grinning smiley

But I settle with the released one, alright...

- Doxa

Date: October 23, 2023 15:45

Don't get me wrong, I love his singing here, even if it's not exactly what I expected. And the first time I heard Rolling Stone Blues I had to wipe some tears, I must admit smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 23, 2023 16:27

Angry: 6.5/10
Close To You: 1/10
Depending On You: 5.5/10
Bite My Head Off: 3/10 (only the guitar solo is nice)
Whole Wide World: 6/10
Dreamy Skies: 6/10 (pity about the bridge, it'd be better without it)
Mess It Up: 4/10
Live By The Sword: 5/10 (again, what's up with the unnecessary bridge?)
(The song reminds me vaguely of the "Get It On" cover by some Duran Duran spin-off band)
Driving Me Too Hard: 6/10
Tell Me Straight: 6/10
Sweet Sounds of Heaven: 7.5/10
Rolling Stone Blues: 7/10

Almost every song has a bridge. Which is typical since when you think about it none of the Stones' best classic songs have bridges.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 23, 2023 17:15

Here's another positive review. The Internet is full of praise for HD

[www.culturesonar.com]

HBK

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: October 23, 2023 17:20

Every time I play the album my favorite track changes.. I take this as a good sign

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 23, 2023 17:43

snoopy2
Every time I play the album my favorite track changes.. I take this as a good sign

Totally agree!

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 23, 2023 17:46

snoopy2

Same with me, I never had that before with my 60 years of being a Stones fan.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 23, 2023 18:02

Idorh
snoopy2

Same with me, I never had that before with my 60 years of being a Stones fan.

I've changed it too, Sweet sounds of heaven, Whole wide world, Dreamy skies, Live by the sword, Angry, Rolling stone blues...time will tell

Re: Hackney Diamonds
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 23, 2023 19:04

The Rolling Stones storm ahead for landmark 14th Number 1 album with Hackney Diamonds

The Stones are currently out-selling the rest of the Top 10 combined.

By George Griffiths | 23 October 2023

The Rolling Stones are on the way to marking a huge career milestone as their brand-new album, Hackney Diamonds, storms ahead to Number 1 on the Official Albums Chart.

Currently outselling the rest of the Top 10 combined, Hackney Diamonds – the first album of original material by the Stones in nearly 20 years – has already managed to accumulate over 55,000 chart units over the weekend.

It would mark the 14th UK Number 1 album for Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, and their first since the death of long-time drummer Charlie Watts in 2021. Only The Beatles with 15 Number 1 albums would have more.

American pop-punk idols blink-182 are set for a Number 2 debut with their ninth album ONE MORE TIME..., their first with vocalist Tom DeLonge since his split from the band in 2015. It would mark the band’s – also comprising Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker – sixth UK Top 10 album.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 23, 2023 19:15

MrBobMartini

07: Mess it Up
For about 38 seconds I was having a great time with it. And then the chorus came around. What I felt at that moment was once described by the comedian Mike Birbiglia as the feeling of "Having a pizza handed to you, and then being shot." The feeling of excitement from hearing Charlie on the album quickly turned to "Oh my what have they done". I'm sorry but I did not order whatever this is, please send it back to the kitchen.

tks for your intersting album review, in many cases i agree. but hilarious really is your above comment - like you took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2023 19:18

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones storm ahead for landmark 14th Number 1 album with Hackney Diamonds

The Stones are currently out-selling the rest of the Top 10 combined.

By George Griffiths | 23 October 2023

The Rolling Stones are on the way to marking a huge career milestone as their brand-new album, Hackney Diamonds, storms ahead to Number 1 on the Official Albums Chart.

Currently outselling the rest of the Top 10 combined, Hackney Diamonds – the first album of original material by the Stones in nearly 20 years – has already managed to accumulate over 55,000 chart units over the weekend.

It would mark the 14th UK Number 1 album for Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, and their first since the death of long-time drummer Charlie Watts in 2021. Only The Beatles with 15 Number 1 albums would have more.

American pop-punk idols blink-182 are set for a Number 2 debut with their ninth album ONE MORE TIME..., their first with vocalist Tom DeLonge since his split from the band in 2015. It would mark the band’s – also comprising Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker – sixth UK Top 10 album.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Stunning...too bad the US chart #1 will elude them. I recall they had the longest string of US top 10 albums of any other act, until Sucking In the 70s hit #15...though I thought it unfair to include a compilation album in their streak.

Without SITS, I wonder if that top 10 streak continues all the way to today? That would be massive.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 23, 2023 19:58

The same mystery of the hand;

11 hands

2 Right hands!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 23, 2023 20:58

Self Deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 21:53 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 23, 2023 21:35

Top 5 UK Midweek sales (Friday/Sunday)

1 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (55,357) [50,390 physicals, 3,588 downloads, 1,379 streaming]
2 blink-182 - ONE MORE TIME... (16,042)
3 Bombay Bicycle Club - My Big Day (9,909)
4 Richard Hawley - Now Then: The Very Best of Richard Hawley (3,692)
5 Barry Can't Swim - When Will We Land? (3,175)

Also Forty Licks is still in the Top 100 since the re-issue in July.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 23, 2023 21:48

The eleventh hand is probably from Schneider, who tries to grab everything they have.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 23, 2023 22:14

georgelicks

1 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds (55,357) [50,390 physicals, 3,588 downloads, 1,379 streaming]

If they couldn't outsell Richard Hawley and Bombay Bicycle Club, I would give up on this band

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: October 23, 2023 22:19

georgelicks

So what’s the prediction? Will this actually be a bigger bang?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 23, 2023 22:42

I'm reading something about 'manipulation' of the figures in US charts with customised Major League Baseball album editions. Some kinda marketing ploy.
Doesn't really mean much to me here in the UK.confused smiley

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: October 23, 2023 23:29

Amazon.com has the green vinyl back in stock.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 24, 2023 00:01

Steve Jordan does a great jobs on the drums in this album too.

He drives the boys good!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 24, 2023 01:11

Cover of the music industry publication HITS Daily Double

[hitsdailydouble.com]

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 24, 2023 01:24

HardRiffin
Imo Mick's vocals on Rolling Stone Blues is perfect.
Imo his best on the album.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 24, 2023 02:29

5he more I hear it really getting into it. Can’t wait to get the Blu-ray. Still waiting. Ugh

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 24, 2023 02:31

this is new to me

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 24, 2023 02:45

snoopy2

Yes, here, too

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2138
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home