Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:28

Everyone will have their own thoughts and feelings on the album and that is the way it should be. I read reviews both positive and negative. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Generally either it's praised for being fresh and "sounding" like the Stones or its to polished and poppy with mediocre material. While making dinner last night I had a few beers and really gave it my 1st listen. I love it. I think that Get close is a fun one with a great groove. Driving me too hard even with Mick singing sounds like it could be off of Main Offender or Crosseyed heart. A great Keith mid tempo tune. Tell it to me straight is short and wonderful. Mick and Keith's harmonies alone make it a good listen. I like Live by the sword and their version of Rolling stone blues as well. Those are just a few of my early observations. As a lifelong Stones fan I do not just blindly love and accept everything that they put out but one thing I have learned over the years is that some of their best work needs to "grow" on you.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:31

Cool Iggy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:33

matxil
powerage78
Hackney Diamonds» des Rolling Stones : rock en toc.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood release a new album featuring a host of prestigious guests, causing quite a stir. There's plenty of noise. For the songs, we'll take a rain check.

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Ouch!

Well...he calls Jimmy Fallon a journalist. Maybe he wasn't in on the joke and was pissed off?

He doesn't even review the album, he reviews other albums and their history.

I can accept an interesting negative review, sometimes they're even funny. But this one is completely devoid of content. Totally lame!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 20:35 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:42

keefriffhards
HardRiffin
powerage78

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood release a new album featuring a host of prestigious guests, causing quite a stir. There's plenty of noise. For the songs, we'll take a rain check.

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Blatantly biased and full of crap sort of review!!!

It's not biased, the album really is that bad, it's incredibly limited and in 10 years time Dirty Work will be seen as a better album.
I've just played Crosseyed Heart, a far deeper superior album on every level.
Pleased you guys love it though, if it makes the old forget their young it can't be all bad, unfortunately for me I'm over the mid/ late life crises.

“People don’t really understand what they’re talking about half the time, to be honest. I’m sorry, they just don’t. And they have very strongly held views.”

#MickJagger

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:52

It will take weeks, maybe months, maybe longer for me to decide what I think of this release. As an older fan, I don't like modern production values and haven't liked modern production since 1981 probably. Occasionally I've taken to a Stones original post '81. "Undercover of the Night" is very 1983 but I love it. "Saint of Me" is late '90s but I like it, like it, yes I do.

I've always wondered what an album of new Stones originals helmed by a Daniel Lanois or a Rick Rubin might sound like, and I guess I'm never going to get that answer.

Maybe some of these songs will resonate more for me in a live setting?

In the meantime, I'll play it some more or not much at all depending on whether or not it grows on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 20:55 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:55

JimmyTheSaint
It will take weeks, maybe months, maybe longer for me to decide what I think of this release. As an older fan, I don't like modern production values and haven't liked modern production since 1981 probably.

I've always wondered what an album of new Stones originals helmed by a Daniel Lanois or a Rick Rubin might sound like, and I guess I'm never going to get that answer.

Maybe some of these songs will resonate more for me in a live setting?

In the meantime, I'll play it some more or not much at all depending on whether or not it grows on me.

Angry sounded great on that live show from Thursday night, and SSoH was out of the park.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: October 21, 2023 21:03

Isn't this the first album including the voice of CW?

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 21, 2023 21:19

I am now completely lost in the world because of Hackney Diamonds, as if I were born again. This showpiece by The Rolling Stones is so uniquely good.
A big thanks to Andrew Watt.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 21, 2023 22:23

Steen G
Isn't this the first album including the voice of CW?

Where are you hearing him ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 21, 2023 22:35

Looking forward to the tour next year!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 21, 2023 22:46

Thank you Rolling Stones. We are so lucky and grateful for everything you have given us. I love this new record. And concerning the nay sayers on this board, “Forgive them Rolling Stones! They know not what they are saying!!!!!”

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:01

I listened to the complete album twice in the car today. I'm pretty sure now: I like this album better than Bigger Bang, Bridges to Babylon and Voodoo Lounge. It is a fairly short album, but catchy, it is well put together. There are no boring parts, the only song I wanted to skip a bit was Sweet Sounds of Heaven, because it is so long and because I have listened to it so many times lately. On Bigger Bang you're more likely to skip... Streets of Love... Sweet Neo Con... there's too much filler. This album is short, intensive, rocking, and fresh. My favorite since Steel Wheels.

Date: October 21, 2023 23:16

I think the sequencing of HD is excellent. In the CD age most albums are front loaded. But HD gets better as it goes on.
SSOH is the obvious closer. I know I am in the minority, but I do not like that song at all. It's the only one from HD I do not like. I'd probably blame Andy watt for that. And IMO he did great on the whole album. SSOH has zero subtlety.
But overall album has some really great songs on it.
At this stage in their career it is virtually impossible for them not to self reference.
'Live by the sword' and 'RS Blues' are pretty much about the guys.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:30

Rip This
keefriffhards
HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

It's not biased, the album really is that bad, it's incredibly limited and in 10 years time Dirty Work will be seen as a better album.
Pleased you guys love it though, if it makes the old forget their young it can't be all bad, unfortunately for me I'm over the mid/ late life crises.

“People don’t really understand what they’re talking about half the time, to be honest. I’m sorry, they just don’t. And they have very strongly held views.”

#MickJagger

Who are you fighting and what for??

Date: October 21, 2023 23:32

Rip This
keefriffhards
HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

#MickJagger

Who are you fighting and what for.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:37

After reading most of the comments here I agree with Richie26188 100% when he says that Hackney Diamonds is a" really good album that far exceeds what I expected"...same here! I was actually afraid to listen to it, not being such a great fan of " Angry"...even my boyfriend who typically trashes lots of the Stones songs that I like said it was a really solid, good album! I've not heard it all the way through enough times to critique it track by track but I do love " Get Close" with the tasty sax and wonderful Mick vocal and " Depending On You" and " Whole Wide World" also stuck out for me as really good, well-constructed songs with nice arrangements. I do like Keith's " Tell Me Straight"! His vocal was strong, easy to listen to.
So, where was Elton John...not that he was really needed here? They surely buried him in the mix! I feel that Bernard's backing vocals were missed and Chuck's absence was felt as well.( his wife is very ill, sorry to hear this.. it's been noted before)
After 18 years without any new Rolling Stones music to speak of...with the exception of a few rare tracks like " Ghost Town", Stones " fans" still feel the need to disparage their efforts, most of it appearing without substance. BLUESRANGER nailed it when he said " there are way too many ungrateful so-called fans!"...Yes, for sure! And Bastion, well, as others have said, you must just be a troll to call this album " objectively bad music". I respect honest, constructive criticism where it's warrranted...and I don't think this is an A+ album, but it is certainly way beyond expectations! Enough said about you other than to sincerely wish you'd find a new hobby. The Stones have delivered something we never thought we'd see...a brand new album! Can't we all just be thankful and enjoy this special offering? The band deserves better than the unwelcome dribble posted here!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:54

I've played it at least a dozen times yesterday and today. It's a @#$%& classic top shelf Stones album the likes of which I haven't heard since I rode my bicycle to the Record Store to buy Some Girls. It's modern, daring in your face Rolling Stones. No holds barred. Love it!

Date: October 21, 2023 23:58

If it didn't far exceed what some of us expected is that okay, is it tolerable for a few of us real Stones fans of Stones music to be disappointed.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 22, 2023 00:02

Mick Jagger would have preferred to make a new album with the Stones sooner
Article by ANP Productions •

[www.msn.com] 9

© ANP
Mick Jagger "a little" regrets that it took eighteen years for The Rolling Stones to release a real new album. This is what the 80-year-old frontman of the band says in an interview with The Guardian.

“I should have taken charge,” he said now. "Keith kept saying in interviews that we would like to make an album when I was ready." Looking back, Jagger feels he should have taken the hint sooner. "But there's no point in whining about it now."

According to Jagger, it was not the case that The Stones did nothing. Together with Keith Richards he continued to write and record songs over the years. According to the frontman, the fact that it took so long for the band to come up with new songs had to do with fear. “Just do it,” he says now. "If it's not good, it's not good. If one song doesn't work, another song probably will."

For Hackney Diamonds, The Stones could choose from about eighty songs. Drummer Charlie Watts, who passed away in 2021, can also be heard on some of them. The new album is about Mess It Up and Live by the Sword. Jagger has confirmed that other tracks Watts plays on may be covered in the future. "So he lives on, and I hope he likes the rest of the record," says Jagger, who said in the same interview that he misses Watts very much.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 22, 2023 00:37

Yes, I feel it's going to be a trilogy. This is the red album, the next one will be blue, and the final one will be black and white.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 22, 2023 00:45

treaclefingers
matxil
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Ouch!

Well...he calls Jimmy Fallon a journalist. Maybe he wasn't in on the joke and was pissed off?

He doesn't even review the album, he reviews other albums and their history.

I can accept an interesting negative review, sometimes they're even funny. But this one is completely devoid of content. Totally lame!

Even worse, he calls him an English journalist! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 22, 2023 00:50

They have sucessfully achieved a very good album with a contemporary sound that at the same time fits in a resounding Exile/Sticky Fingers cast/mold/mould.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: October 22, 2023 01:11

I think it’s a great album and is up there with their best. What I particularly like about it is that it truly feels like an “album” - is a unified body of work, rather than just a random collection of songs. It is sequenced really well and if you listen to it as an album from start to finish it takes you on a journey. I think the songs are stronger than any album since Some Girls or Tattoo You - ie it’s the most consistently good album since those albums, and I would definitely put it in my top 10 stones albums. The guitars sound great and Mick’s singing is the best it’s ever been (except for on the big 4 albums - Beggars to Exile).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 22, 2023 02:40

It won't chart at #1 in the US, #3 ir #4 is the best bet.

THESE NEW RELEASES ROCK
Major rock albums by blink-182 and The Rolling Stones will lead next week's debuts. Can either catch Drake’s For All the Dogs (OVO/Republic), which has the edge to return to #1, with 109-115k? Could Bad Bunny also be in the mix for a repeat? Stay tuned.

blink-182 (Columbia): 95-105k
The Rolling Stones (Geffen): 75-85k
Fuerza Regida (Rancho Humilde/Street Mob/Sony Latin): 30-35k

[m.hitsdailydouble.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 22, 2023 03:02

4 complete listens so far... an excellent album, no weak tracks! 4-star! (Out of 5)

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: October 22, 2023 03:54

I spotted some guerrilla marketing on the Paris Metro tonight!

[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: October 22, 2023 06:42

I think the Pitchfork review takes the crown for being the most out of touch, uninformed review. Here is a link to the garbage review from an overly pretentious publication:

Pitchfork HD Review

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 22, 2023 07:10

Friday was a crazy busy day for me, so I didn’t buy HD until Saturday. After listening to it twice, I am not disappointed. I like hearing Mick and Keith sing together on Dreamy Skies and I like Live by the Sword. I love every time Mick plays harp. Rolling Stones Blues is a gem. And I really love SSOH. But the record is a bit more pop than rock, which is unfortunate. But I know many of these songs will grow on me, the way Stones songs always do. If I could make one change to it, I’d get rid of those strings on Depending on You.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 22, 2023 07:13

Overall I love the record apart from the cut and paste mess that is Mess it Up.

And FULL credit for Andrew Watt in getting the Stones to knuckle down and get it done.

But there is a little too much production wizardry going on with the guitars in some of the songs. Just some effects not needed.

I recall a major criticism of the Bridges album was the production by the troop of producers bought in, in particular The Dust Brothers, who tried effects on guitars to modernise the sound.

I hear some of it again. Like effects on Whole Wide World about a minute 10 secs in.

Sort of like Andrew Watt is sonic mix of The Dust Brothers and Don Was.

But thank you lads- great record.

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 22, 2023 07:46

JadedFaded
Friday was a crazy busy day for me, so I didn’t buy HD until Saturday. After listening to it twice, I am not disappointed. I like hearing Mick and Keith sing together on Dreamy Skies and I like Live by the Sword. I love every time Mick plays harp. Rolling Stones Blues is a gem. And I really love SSOH. But the record is a bit more pop than rock, which is unfortunate. But I know many of these songs will grow on me, the way Stones songs always do. If I could make one change to it, I’d get rid of those strings on Depending on You.

Good grief, no. The strings on Depending on You are it’s icing on the cake.

Sort of like saying get rid of the strings on Moonlight Mile!!

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1741
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home