Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: October 20, 2023 23:32

It’s really good and a few spins later and after a few whiskeys too it is absolutely incredible! Wasn’t very impressed with Live By The Sword at first but in my current condition WOW! Elton my man!!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 20, 2023 23:59

gotdablouse
StonesSmeth99
This article is quite interesting - [www.musicweek.com]

Indeed! So an (hoped) 18 month lifespan? Let's hope it works out to plan...Looks like Mick has high hopes for the album!

And Mess It Up is the 3rd single apparently!

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: October 21, 2023 00:15

Looking Forward To Hearing The Scraps That Did Not Make The Cut ... F The Tech Production and AutoTune ~ To Clean For Me ... Dish It Out Raw !!! ... But For 80 Year Old's Got To Give Them an A+ ... Hard To Follow After Blue and Lonesome !!!

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 21, 2023 00:38

I think "Rolling Stone Blues" is one of the best things they have ever recorded. The essence of the Rolling Stones – unadorned, raw, mysterious and dirty. I wish they'd do a whole album like that.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:15

'Hackney Diamonds' Dynamic Range is DR6 for the album and DR5-7 for the tracks - [www.ProStudioMasters.com] .

Mastering was by Matt Colton (Metropolis Studios, London, UK). The Dolby Atmos Mix is by Giles Martin.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:49

Now granted, I have not been in my car all day listening to Sirius radio, but when I have been driving I have heard three Rolling Stones songs: Gimme Shelter, Stupid Girl and Angry.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 03:01

Very happy with the album, it absolutely surpassed my expectations. Of course the reviews stating it's on par with their best material are full of it, but it's an excellent effort nevertheless. Yeah, I'd like the production to be a bit rawer, and yeah, I'd like the songwriting to be a bit less poppy. But damn, these are 80-year olds still genuinely laying it down. When that verse riff kicked in on Get Close I got Sway and Slave vibes. To think that we're 50 years further along... Remarkable.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 21, 2023 03:05

Listened to the album today, the guitar interaction throughout "Angry" is so raw and righteous!

Tremendous guitar work on that one.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 21, 2023 03:07

slewan
I visted the Hackney bus today in Hannover (details => [iorr.org])

I listened to a little more than half of HD right there. My feeling was that most of the songs are somehow 'overproduced' and that the bass is too dominant in the mix. But maybe that's just an effect of the atmos thing and/or there place were I was standing at inside the bus.

slewan like always negstive destructive a full srschloch here go home never never post here again never never never kotz dich woanders aus und leave a band you don‘t love because you dont‘t love your self dämlicher scheiss idiot!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 21, 2023 03:14

All of the majority here: Thanks for your great words about this ALBUM!!!!!!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 21, 2023 04:17

just wanted to relay something i experienced today

i went to walmart with hopes i could find the album on vinyl or cd (i found neitherangry smiley) but as i was going thru the cereal aisle i could hear something familiar from the aisle over

so after getting my cinnamon toast crunch and heading to the next aisle for some canned sauerkraut i'm confronted with the sight of two kids no older then 5 stomping and dancing around and screaming at the top of there lungs

WHY YA BITE MY HEAD OFF! WHY YA BITE MY HEAD OFF!

over and over again as there exasperated father tried to calm them down

i mention to him as i'm passing by that his kids had good taste in music and he says it's there mother that's the fan and she got them going and now he has to deal with them

i guess what i'm trying to say is that the kids are digging the albumwinking smiley

Posted by: ColdFandango ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:14

I listened to the album several times today. The Stones sound fantastic. My favorite songs are Sweet Sounds of Heaven, Mess It Up,Dreamy Skies, and Rolling Stone Blues. My least favorite is Bite My Head Off. I think McCartney was wasted on that track.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:35

NilsHolgersson
gotdablouse
StonesSmeth99
This article is quite interesting - [www.musicweek.com]

Indeed! So an (hoped) 18 month lifespan? Let's hope it works out to plan...Looks like Mick has high hopes for the album!

And Mess It Up is the 3rd single apparently!

Love it. Depending On You and Get Close could also be singles.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:46

ProfessorWolf
just wanted to relay something i experienced today

i went to walmart with hopes i could find the album on vinyl or cd (i found neitherangry smiley) but as i was going thru the cereal aisle i could hear something familiar from the aisle over

so after getting my cinnamon toast crunch and heading to the next aisle for some canned sauerkraut i'm confronted with the sight of two kids no older then 5 stomping and dancing around and screaming at the top of there lungs

WHY YA BITE MY HEAD OFF! WHY YA BITE MY HEAD OFF!

over and over again as there exasperated father tried to calm them down

i mention to him as i'm passing by that his kids had good taste in music and he says it's there mother that's the fan and she got them going and now he has to deal with them

i guess what i'm trying to say is that the kids are digging the albumwinking smiley

My 4 and 6-year old love Angry and ever since it came out, they’ve been have asking when the other new songs were going to be released. They were so excited for today. Indeed the kids are digging it!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:49

A few photos Keith looks a bit uncomfortable standing beside Andrew Watt

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: October 21, 2023 07:23

Keith on Jimmy Fallon tonight.
[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 07:25 by U2Stonesfan.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: October 21, 2023 08:28

Charlie would have loved this album. I can picture him smiling his way thru Angry.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 21, 2023 08:41

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 08:46 by cowboytoast.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 21, 2023 08:52

Bite My Head Off... ha ha, very Eazy Sleazy! Only it gets the Stones bend to it. Great energy.

Get Close has essence of Mick's Too Far Gone.

Holy crap Mick's vocals are insane! Mick is on fire. Bizarrely there's essence of mid-1980s snarl going on in some songs.

Driving Me Too Hard is, bizarrely, accurate for my life right now. I listened (and read) and thought WTF this dude is hanging around my life right now.

Tell Me Straight even bounces into that scenario.

That kind of thing... it happened in 2017 with U2, with some of their songs from SONGS OF EXPERIENCE feeling like they were hanging out with me while my wife was dying of cancer...

It's probably more that emotions and life experiences are more common these days than 20 years ago.

Steve Jordan - excellent.

Great album. Really damn good.

Big Four worthy great? Way too early to tell. But it's possible. The Cult's 2022 album UNDER THE MIDNIGHT SUN was, and still is, their best album ever - for me. Even better than LOVE or ELECTRIC.

Sure, a much smaller/lesser discography than the Stones but the essence is a bit tighter.

But... why not have an open mind to now? Whole Wide World is fantastic - and possibly says it.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:13

Here in Italy basically all very positive reviews.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:33

it's a piece of corporate crap -

no 'glimmer twins" involvement at all - this Watt guy was in charge and it aint good-

a Mick solo album that Keith and Ron get to guest on -

I was looking forward to it as much as anyone - hell I've bought every album new since "it's Only Rock and Roll" - but this album is not the gem that everyone is trying to make it out to be -

it's game over - but hell they are 80

God Bless my Beloved Rolling Stones

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:52

I sometimes regret the pop orientation of some of the tracks, but on the other hand, Keith's rhythm section is top-notch, energetic and powerful.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 21, 2023 11:04

Amazon Bestsellers.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 21, 2023 11:31

cowboytoast
it's a piece of corporate crap -

no 'glimmer twins" involvement at all - this Watt guy was in charge and it aint good-

a Mick solo album that Keith and Ron get to guest on -

I was looking forward to it as much as anyone - hell I've bought every album new since "it's Only Rock and Roll" - but this album is not the gem that everyone is trying to make it out to be -

it's game over - but hell they are 80

God Bless my Beloved Rolling Stones

It's a pop album. You should compare it to other pop albums. As such, it's a good effort. It is indeed very comparable to Mick's Wandering Spirit, but he sings better on Hackney Diamonds and the guitars are more interesting.

If you are looking for something a bit more subversive, or artistically authentic, or musically experimental, there are other acts to listen to or you can listen to some Stones albums from the past or some of Keith's solo work. It is what it is.

I am too old to know what's going on nowadays. I would love to hear about new bands that go beyond the obvious.

(You're right about the "corporate" thing too, I just heard that the Stones logo will appear on FC Barcelona shirts... I guess rock n roll has always meant business, since the days of Elvis.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 11:33 by matxil.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 21, 2023 11:37

Always the dissatisfaction with how a song was created, here The Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and Andrew Watt deliver a masterful musical performance.
For God's sake, be happy that you can hear Sweet Sounds Of Heaven and that after 60 years of making music.
This song has much more power than the track I've Got Dreams to Remember on Fully Finished Outtakes.
All those complaining people who, since the Undercover period, stood still in the period 1963-1981 and only talk about everything after that time about how good it was 40 years ago, well, find another band to be a fan of.

Posted by: mistervinyl ()
Date: October 21, 2023 11:42

Hate that Watt production, everything seems to be caked in reverb even KR's voice. Only SSOH seems to breathe.

The Stones not sounding like the Stones...

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 12:10

UrbanSteel
Always the dissatisfaction with how a song was created, here The Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and Andrew Watt deliver a masterful musical performance.
For God's sake, be happy that you can hear Sweet Sounds Of Heaven and that after 60 years of making music.
This song has much more power than the track I've Got Dreams to Remember on Fully Finished Outtakes.
All those complaining people who, since the Undercover period, stood still in the period 1963-1981 and only talk about everything after that time about how good it was 40 years ago, well, find another band to be a fan of.

Yes, some of the fans are complaining a lot. I am feeling glad and lucky to be a Stones fan and try to enjoy all the music, shows, energy, memories and swinging Rock'n Roll.
The Sixty Tour and Hackney Diamonds are nothing, I want to complain about.
What a tour! What a band! Turn it loud!!
And don't forget to dance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 12:11 by micha063.

Posted by: MickDaseway ()
Date: October 21, 2023 12:11

not true, "Live be the Sword" is the essence of the Rolling Stones. yes, there are new sounds, but they have always done it this way...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 21, 2023 12:44

I understand people noticing the differences soundwise.
Something I like a lot - bass reverb -, something is interesting - riffs like Whole Wide World or Bite My Head Off that are different from what you expect from the "classic" more layered Stones/Keith's riffs -, something is not or I don't like - the"posh", pop or whatever you call that extra smooth variation in the melody they seem to try very hard in here - except Get Close.
Sometimes it works brilliantly (Depending On You, Whole Wide World), sometimes it does not hurt the song (Sweet Sound is that strong, Angry too in the end), sometimes it brings in the unnecessary (end of Dreamy Skies), sometimes it is all that a song has to offer: a series of different"catchy" riffs/melodies sewn together on a 4/4 base (Mess It Up).
So I understand people noticing the differences, but have they not done this regularly in their past? What did you think the first time you heard the drumming of Undercover, the sound of Heaven on Tattoo You or Hey Negrita and anyone here I'm sure can come up with other examples on the same line

No, it's not on the level of "my" Big Four, to understand the place Hackney Diamonds will take in my personal Stones rotation I need to listen more and need more time to pass

by now I am happy to have a new Stones record to spin, quite unbelievable per se. And it is a good one overall, that I can say for sure already

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 12:49 by maumau.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 12:48

Edit: wrong topic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 12:50 by jackflash27.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2470
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home