Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 22
Re: ANGRY - new Stones single and video
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 9, 2023 23:33

I think it's a decent pop song, but kind of feels like a dumbed down version of the Stones.

There's a good chance the rest of the album will be better. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-10 00:26 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 9, 2023 23:35

Harlem Shuffle, what part of the conversation has blown you away? Genuine question, as it seems to me that (excluding one or two comments) it has been a pretty civil discussion, with various opinions shared.

Posted by: Ryttern ()
Date: September 10, 2023 01:04

Great song and video, give me a 70s vibe with a modern twist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-10 14:31 by Ryttern.

Posted by: Ryttern ()
Date: September 10, 2023 01:09

They should have chosen a Jag e-type instead of a MB SL. Otherwise a great video.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 10, 2023 01:17

Many parts,we can start with you.Keith,s a much better bassplayer than Darryl Jones?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 10, 2023 01:35

I love Keith's baselines over the years, his rhythm and feel, I personally find Darryl 's work with the Stones (which, to be fair, is all I'm familiar with) to be really dull, chugging on the root note. Perhaps that's all MJ and KR tell him to do, but Keith brings such a groovy flare to his bass work that I don't hear in Darryl's lines.

Perhaps I could rephrase my comment to say that I much prefer Keith's basslines to Darryl's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-10 01:36 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 10, 2023 02:35

Angry has played multiple times on ESPN tonight during the intro and during commercial breaks for the Alabama vs. Texas football game. They’ve had graphics with “Rolling Stones: Angry” and the HD tongue logo with the teams’ logos. The Crimson Tide’s coach is a big Stones fan. Roll Stones Roll!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: September 10, 2023 04:11

Love love love the song and video. Could have been on ‘Some Girls.’
Been a fan since ‘65.
People here wouldn’t like the song if it was “Honky Tonk Women” or “Start Me Up.” They would find something to complain about. I think a lot of people who post are negative about everything to draw attention to themselves. They aren’t and never have actually been fans.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 10, 2023 04:37

CrosseyedHeart
Love love love the song and video. Could have been on ‘Some Girls.’
Been a fan since ‘65.
People here wouldn’t like the song if it was “Honky Tonk Women” or “Start Me Up.” They would find something to complain about. I think a lot of people who post are negative about everything to draw attention to themselves. They aren’t and never have actually been fans.

thumbs up

Was thinking earlier that the album might end up having a Some Girls vibe about it.. think it was the mention of a "punk" ish song on it with Macca. Some Girls was so good and right for the time, hopeful this album could achieve similar.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 10, 2023 05:49

13MM Views I see - paused my looping for just a sec to update the totals. Not bad! Hoping to get to 20MM before too long!!! And now back to looping!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 10, 2023 05:51

ME been loooopin too since its been out .....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2023 05:54

Why do I get the feeling you're not talking about continuously playing the video though! LOL

Date: September 10, 2023 05:58

..... Vid vid Voodoooooo

wore me pink hoola-hoop out last month ....

ROCKMAN

Date: September 10, 2023 06:05

[url=

][/url]

Date: September 10, 2023 06:16

Kinky boob holder

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 10, 2023 13:42

keefriffhards
MonkeyMan2000
matxil
MonkeyMan2000
I wonder whose idea it was to put overdrive on Keith's bass. This, I think, is what gives the bassline and also the whole instrumental a lot of character past the obvious Stones by the numbers riff. With my band in the studio, we sometimes use overdrive on the bass part to hide some inaccuracies, so that less editing needs to be done and it can sound intededly rough and raunchy.

But, at the same time, I don't think that Darryl would have been allowed to use such a fat overdrive tone, if he played on Angry. It really takes up a lot of space in the mix, just as much as the guitars. Can't say that about B&L...

I agree that the bass is very dominant in the mix, but I kinda like it. I don't know much about sound engineering so I am still wondering what it is exactly what gives the song such a modern feel. The riff is very basic and old-school, but the production makes the song fresh, especially the chorus. There's a lot of melody to it and Mick is singing it very well.

Yes, the bass is wicked! The instrumental production is quite basic but it works. Very compressed, which makes it a bit hard to really work out the individual guitar parts as the hearing gets tired, but it slaps! Now for the chorus, I've already expressed this a few times: It sounds modern because the vocal has many layers with Mick singing falsettos and deeper lines. Then they lined up oll of the consonants. This is my main gripe with the song because while it sounds modern, it already sounds dated (2010's) because vocal production has already moved on from this sterile style back to a more performance- and human-oriented style.
I personally would have loved if Mick just did his 28-year-old Keith impression for the backing vocals. The same voice he uses when he does the vox on the deluxe sets smiling smiley

Just a question, why would Mick want to sound modern, I'm not being awkward or ignorant but what is good about a modern sound vocally or musically.
Modern but dated you say, I just wish Mick went really retro, like back to the 60S or 70s vocally.

Well, I don't know if Mick wants it that way or if he just likes that sound. Maybe it just ended up that way resulting from the collab with the producer. Sometimes these things just end up sounding like they do because a producer always tries to combine different inputs and expectations. The final vocal production might not even be of much interest to Mick, so I don't know if I could blame him when I don't like the vocal prduction...
But speaking of clarity and loudness of the vocals: It's not just with the Stones that the vocals got clearer. From the mid seventies on it was just the way things were done. People want to understand the lyrics.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: September 10, 2023 13:44

Quite a cool review of the song by Justin Hawkins (lead singer of The Darkness).
He has a great ear for finding the note/key so quickly and was cool to see him genuinely loving the song.

Below for those who are interested!

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 10, 2023 13:55

I think all it needs now is a remix with Dua Lipa to get to the youth

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 10, 2023 13:58

NilsHolgersson
I think all it needs now is a remix with Dua Lipa to get to the youth

Hahaha, I can only imagine hell breaking lose on here if they chopped up different old songs and put them back together to make one tune with a Dua Lipa feature like Elton John did...

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 10, 2023 14:14

DOXA.
I really don't like Loosing My Touch, embarrassingly lazy effort from Keith, so no, please Keith no songs like that on the album, i think this is going to be a bit special from Mick AND Keithsmiling smiley

Didn't they scrap the first attempt at making this album?
So it had to be right as its their last album between them, unfortunately they don't have another 18 years to agree on something and niether do most of us.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-10 14:16 by keefriffhards.

Date: September 10, 2023 14:42

Just realising how much I love this song and their performance, especially after the hand claps begin, and the whole thing goes really mental. I need physical media because the internet isn't loud enough.
Video's grown on me too, the billboards are incredible,m and Syd Sweeney, to me, is more funny than 'sexy-sleazy' - hell, you'd see more skin at drag queen storyime hour, and the big boots at the end are total Drag Race, no? I wonder if her prep for it was to play a women channelling of a drag queen's channelling of male fantasies of female glam. Stones have always been a bit draggy, no?
Plus she plays a mean air guitar.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 10, 2023 15:10

frankotero
LeonidP smileys with beer bye the way I'm loving the song... and video too.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: September 10, 2023 15:17

Doxa
Being a hardcore fan of this band means that one dislikes 'war horses' and leading singles of the albums. Those are just meant for ignorant casual fans. For true hardcore fans and their educated ears the true greatness of the Rolling Stones lies in somewhere else, in deep cuts and loose studio out-takes from bootlegs.

thumbs up

But no need to worry yet. There probably is a new "Slave" or "Pretty Beat Up" somewhere there on the new album.

well, let´s keep our fingers crossed

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 10, 2023 15:47

Anyone see the Texas Longhorns versus Alabama football game on ESPN on September 9, 2023? Angry or portions of it were played often, before or after commercials. Pretty cool.

Texas won at Alabama.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 10, 2023 15:59

Does the CD single have any non-lp tracks? In the Jimmy Fallon discussion, they said they recorded 23 songs...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 10, 2023 16:19

Ronnie continually stated there will be a second album from the sessions to follow. If there are any non-album B-sides on singles or special editions, it's likely to be from the 2015-2018 sessions with Don Was.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 10, 2023 16:40

Doxa
Being a hardcore fan of this band means that one dislikes 'war horses' and leading singles of the albums. Those are just meant for ignorant casual fans. For true hardcore fans and their educated ears the true greatness of the Rolling Stones lies in somewhere else, in deep cuts and loose studio out-takes from bootlegs.

But no need to worry yet. There probably is a new "Slave" or "Pretty Beat Up" somewhere there on the new album.

- Doxa

The ignorant casual fans are just so lazy and ignorant!

I welcome the wisdom of the hardcore fan who isn't so easily swayed by the "bright shiny object" of a lead single or warhorse (meaning to actually play the song in concert).

LONG LIVE DEEP CUTS (that don't make their way onto the warhorse list!)!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 10, 2023 16:59

keefriffhards
DOXA.
I really don't like Loosing My Touch, embarrassingly lazy effort from Keith, so no, please Keith no songs like that on the album, i think this is going to be a bit special from Mick AND Keithsmiling smiley

Didn't they scrap the first attempt at making this album?
So it had to be right as its their last album between them, unfortunately they don't have another 18 years to agree on something and niether do most of us.winking smiley

thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 10, 2023 19:14

Rocky Dijon
Ronnie continually stated there will be a second album from the sessions to follow...

On Fallon? Or elsewhere? All I recall on Fallon was the mention that they recorded 23 tracks, but there was never any mention of a 2nd album

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: September 10, 2023 19:59

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-10 19:59 by yeababyyea.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home