Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 22
Re: ANGRY - new Stones' single on Spotify
Date: September 7, 2023 17:20

bakersfield
Is there a subscriber to The Times who can post their article that carries the headline ‘I’ve heard the new Stones album and it is their best since 1978’? I’m tantalised!

save your time. Article sounds wayyyy more interesting than it is.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 7, 2023 21:27

HA! Finally, I found out what the vocal production and arrangement in the chorus of Angry reminds me of with all the consonant-aligned doublings and falsettos smiling smiley

[youtu.be]

So by trying to have contemporary production, it ended up sounded like pop rock that was in the mainstream 11 years ago hahaha.

It's a shame, because I like the instrumental and the performance both by the band and Mick. There's many young producers out there that would nail that 70's studio sound and that still succeed at making it relevant (listen to Say She She for example). But of course, they wouldn't have the same mainstream and Rolling Stone magazine appeal as Andrew Watt. grinning smiley

But, what do the guitars geeks have to say? There seems to be two Keiths, right? One overdubbing the solo and the lead at the end in standard and one that plays throughout (though often getting lost under Mick's rhythm guitar). Of the three guitarists, Ronnie seems to be the least present in the recording. No Watt-guitar, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-07 21:29 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: September 7, 2023 21:45

Sounds to me like a hybrid of Mick’s Joy (from Goddess) and I Go Wild. Hopefully it will get better with more listening. But I’m soooo happy the boys are back! And I trust the album to be better than this.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 7, 2023 22:23

MonkeyMan2000
HA! Finally, I found out what the vocal production and arrangement in the chorus of Angry reminds me of with all the consonant-aligned doublings and falsettos smiling smiley

[youtu.be]

So by trying to have contemporary production, it ended up sounded like pop rock that was in the mainstream 11 years ago hahaha.

It's a shame, because I like the instrumental and the performance both by the band and Mick. There's many young producers out there that would nail that 70's studio sound and that still succeed at making it relevant (listen to Say She She for example). But of course, they wouldn't have the same mainstream and Rolling Stone magazine appeal as Andrew Watt. grinning smiley

But, what do the guitars geeks have to say? There seems to be two Keiths, right? One overdubbing the solo and the lead at the end in standard and one that plays throughout (though often getting lost under Mick's rhythm guitar). Of the three guitarists, Ronnie seems to be the least present in the recording. No Watt-guitar, right?

To me, I thought it sounded more like a typical Ronnie solo than Keef - at least from their live shows of late, but the video shows Keef playing that part, which I wouldn't have guessed honestly. I like it. I think it's crisp for guys their ages!!!!

Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: September 7, 2023 22:59

Mick is trying soooo hard for some reason to have a high singing voice that is actually sounds disasterous. He's totally singing through his nose, just like he started to do way back on, 'State Of Shock.' It sounds like his testicles fell off in the shower. I like the gritty sound of his voice on "Start Me Up."

Guitar work is mediocre, drumming is too loud.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a totally vanilla song???

Date: September 7, 2023 23:49

Song is growing on me a lot

Date: September 8, 2023 00:52

VoodooLounge13
MonkeyMan2000

[youtu.be]

To me, I thought it sounded more like a typical Ronnie solo than Keef - at least from their live shows of late, but the video shows Keef playing that part, which I wouldn't have guessed honestly. I like it. I think it's crisp for guys their ages!!!!

Very typical Keith-licks, imo. Nicely played. Ronnie's licks are in other parts of the song (right channel).

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 01:04

It’s a grower

First few listens it was meh but I’ve got that riff in my head big time now. It’s brash, the drums are kicking and Keith’s solo has attitude. Love it

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 8, 2023 02:04

sbetz

Vanilla and thoroughly forgettable. There's nothing in the song--not a riff, not a drum lick--that makes me want to hear it again. I don't get the feeling that they were even in the same studio together when they recorded it. "Hey, Keith. When you come up with a solo for the new song email it to me and we'll punch it in"

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 8, 2023 03:02

TheBadRabbit
sbetz

Vanilla and thoroughly forgettable. There's nothing in the song--not a riff, not a drum lick--that makes me want to hear it again. I don't get the feeling that they were even in the same studio together when they recorded it. "Hey, Keith. When you come up with a solo for the new song email it to me and we'll punch it in"

+1
It’s generic bubblegum pop, disguised as a Stones tune. I doubt Keith had much to do with writing it.

A shame, because there are some cool elements to it, like the guitar sound, especially at the beginning. But a great guitar sound does not equal a great track.

Still, impressive for octogenarians!

Drew

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 8, 2023 08:04

Night #2 of streaming all night whilst I sleep!!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 8, 2023 08:59

You have to listen to it on very loud volume in the car, then it's good. It's not a song to listen to on low volume.

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: September 8, 2023 13:56

Great to hear the new single. With a cool production they squeeze the maximum out of a simple riff that lands a bit behind their greatest work. Taking Mick's superb vocals for granted, the standout highlights are the overall production, Keith's bass and solo/licks together with the long outro. There's some simple but not really standout piano making me dream about what some other collaborator (like Nicky, Stu, Mac) could have contributed to a song like this. If I would guess I expect that Andrew Watt's contributed to writing the chorus coming in twice (at 0.45 and 1.40). It beats everything of their own material released back to Saint of Me which in my opinion is a better song. Looking forward to the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-08 14:07 by ekelundh.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 8, 2023 14:59

I've had Old Rockers contact me non-stop the last 24hrs, it's gone a treat with them

ANGRY - official video
Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: September 7, 2023 11:15

Truly an amazing video, honoring so beautifully and nostalgically the Stones' glorious years with video sources so well known and dear to us lifetime loyal fans.

The mp4 file is now downloadable here - for those of us who are not always online:

wetransfer - Angry official video

Re: ANGRY - official video
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 7, 2023 13:40

Agree! Many seem to be Angry over it, but I also think it's great. And I must say, I don't mind still looking at a hot woman from time to time, but hey, that's just me.

Date: September 7, 2023 13:44

Love it, and very clever, and still totally Stonesy, like this whole media campaign, and the press conference at the Empire yesterday. And the single really is as good as Start Me Up for impact and sheer chutzpah. Mick is great, the voice is back to its slouchy best, none of that over enunciating. It's all about the vowels, not the consonants....

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: September 7, 2023 14:08

Honestly, I find the video offensive.
A young blonde woman ‘used’ for what?
Is a young lady excited by the music by people in their 80’s something good? If so, why?
What the sense in non play Brown Sugar live and have this video available to very young kids via accessible media?
Don’t get me wrong, but I don’t have to approve anything the band does, IMO

Date: September 7, 2023 14:25

1963luca0
Honestly, I find the video offensive.
A young blonde woman ‘used’ for what?
Is a young lady excited by the music by people in their 80’s something good? If so, why?
What the sense in non play Brown Sugar live and have this video available to very young kids via accessible media?
Don’t get me wrong, but I don’t have to approve anything the band does, IMO

??? How is it that you ever liked the band to begin with if you find something like that offensive?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 7, 2023 14:26

I uploaded a mp4 Hackney Diamonds video yesterday on facebook and it got muted it will probably happen with this one too is there anyway of getting around that it's happened before with other videos, a copyright thing

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: September 7, 2023 14:34

I would say that the world has moved on. Some of the youngsters that follow this actress might find her casual objectification alienating. If I’m honest she’s nice to look at but many younger people will be put off.
I must be getting old because I prefer watching those moving billboards to the girl in the car lol!

Date: September 7, 2023 14:40

Maybe because I’m the father of two young girls, because common sense changes through the years, maybe because we Italians have tens of young women killed every year and on sexual arrassment basis, maybe because men should get old with style. Choose the reason you like…
This has nothing to do with being a fan: I’m very very fond of their music - the best.
Still I can’t help to underline that Stupì Girl and Backstreet Girl could be released in the 60’s, but no one - even The Rolling Stones - can do it today.
Aren’t we all expected to live in today’s world?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-07 14:40 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: September 7, 2023 14:45

Talking only about the visuals here, not the music.

"Lazy" is what comes to my mind when i watch the video. Have the Stones done anything else on it other than to approve the concept and the final result? I have my doubts.
The only idea was to put archive footage on billboards and the car ride is only there cause something was needed to connect the different billboards somehow.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 7, 2023 14:56

I think the billboards element is fantastic, albeit with a slightly sad nostalgia - especially for us superfans that can identify every year/show/video. It is so great to see just how many iconic images and eras they've had (and that's even without any early footage).

The girl though... of course she's hot, but that element puts me off, and seems rather unseemly, and I would agree with many of arguments that Luca puts forward. I wouldn't want to show this vid to my kids (13 and 10) who are Stones fans and have seen them live a few times.

Date: September 7, 2023 15:01

1963luca0
Maybe because I’m the father of two young girls, because common sense changes through the years, maybe because we Italians have tens of young women killed every year and on sexual arrassment basis, maybe because men should get old with style. Choose the reason you like…
This has nothing to do with being a fan: I’m very very fond of their music - the best.
Still I can’t help to underline that Stupì Girl and Backstreet Girl could be released in the 60’s, but no one - even The Rolling Stones - can do it today.
Aren’t we all expected to live in today’s world?

To each their own, but to be fair, it was never 'just the 60s', the Stones have done many things and written many songs that could be offensive to some, not just sexist either -- the songs/lyrics always, how about Some Girls, She Was Hot (and that video?), All the Way Down, even later than that - Jump On Top Of Me, Gunface, etc. it goes on & on ... it was always there.

Remember, it's a band, if you're looking for pure music/lyrics, I think the way to go is christian music. 99% of bands you could never listen to if you're going to be offended at women topics.

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: September 7, 2023 15:04

the only good things are the video clips from 1972 and 1973

Date: September 7, 2023 15:06

steenhorst

What's wrong with the clips from 1974 to 2023?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 7, 2023 15:17

Haha, don't get angry with them.
I only think it is the formula that was used on recent videos. Have you watched
Ride em on down, Living in the heart of love, Criss Cross?
Is there even a need for videos these days, when even old chaps like me listen to Spotify?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-07 15:25 by marcovandereijk.

Date: September 7, 2023 15:24

You can’t even imagine how far I am from everything concerning the Roman Catholic Church and one of the many many reasons is the way they consider the woman and her sensibility.
Maybe this thread is leading us to far from the my original point: no
machism in the New Era,please

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 7, 2023 15:38

DandelionPowderman
steenhorst

What's wrong with the clips from 1974 to 2023?

That must have been ironically meant, right?

I know a Stones fan who doesn't like anything they did after 1963 winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home