Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Draft letter requesting MSG 1969 re-issue, please read
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2022 11:23

I agree completely. Many thanks for your efforts and your time. I would still emphasize as an argument for a complete release of all three concerts that the band never played the songs in the same way back then, so fundamental differences can be noticed even by a broader audience and not only by the fans.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 20, 2022 13:10

IMO the 1972 tou r was their better.I wish there were live shows of the quality of Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 20, 2022 14:49

RobertJohnson
I agree completely. Many thanks for your efforts and your time. I would still emphasize as an argument for a complete release of all three concerts that the band never played the songs in the same way back then, so fundamental differences can be noticed even by a broader audience and not only by the fans.

Interesting thoughts, I tried, without going overkill, to make that point with: " each particular show highlighting & capturing unique, signature performances that were not readily available on the original Ya Yas release."

But I am going to take your suggestion, and re-work that line to make it more specific without hitting the reader over the head.
RJ- please look at that line in the passage above, and tell me if you like it better.
Thanks, Sighunt

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 20, 2022 15:06

it would also be nice if they could keep the price reasonable too if possible

Date: February 20, 2022 15:35

also i'd love to see the rejected ya ya's cover by ethan russell incorporated in the album art in someway if not the album cover its self

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 20, 2022 21:05

Sighunt
RobertJohnson

Interesting thoughts, I tried, without going overkill, to make that point with: " each particular show highlighting & capturing unique, signature performances that were not readily available on the original Ya Yas release."

But I am going to take your suggestion, and re-work that line to make it more specific without hitting the reader over the head.
RJ- please look at that line in the passage above, and tell me if you like it better.
Thanks, Sighunt

I totally agree with you. Let's hope for the best!

Re: Fans of the 1969 MSG shows, please read:
Date: February 22, 2022 11:01

thought i'd throw this out too

did they record the opening acts for all 3 shows and if so it be nice to have them in there complete forms as well

just to create a more complete experience of the shows

yeah it's a bit much to ask for but it sure be cool for the super deluxe if they do such a thing with it

also i know they filmed at least a bit of ike & tina's set but does anyone know how much was filmed and if they filmed b.b. king's set as well

because these would be nice to include with any live footage they release

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 11:05 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: February 22, 2022 15:29

Ok, I’m back. Did you guys miss my many posts? LOL. I thought I’d take a brief pause- don’t want to wear out my welcome-after all, familiarity can breed contempt so they say…
Anyway, back to business. After receiving some insightful feedback from people who post on this forum (and receiving private e-mails with suggestions), I cleaned up the proposal-the current working title (until I get a better catch phrase from posters)-The Rolling Stones MSG box set, stream-lined it a bit-keeping the essential elements, and thus making it easier to read in order to keep the attention of the reader. I may be biased but I’m extremely happy with the final result. Please note, I have tried to take into consideration the different types of feedback I have received, but the reality is some suggestions were simply above and beyond the context and scope of what this proposal was trying to accomplish, and I cannot honestly entertain all the suggestions as the final result would suffer from what I would describe as the “too many cooks in the kitchen” syndrome. Much of the feedback I received requested that I turn the original written document into a working petition, so that is what I did.

We in the Rolling Stones fan-base community are strongly advocating for a release of a potential box set containing all three of the professionally recorded shows from Madison Square Garden utilized for the Get Yer Ya Yas Out live in-concert album. Glyn Johns, legendary engineer and producer who recorded these brilliant performances on 11/27/69 and 11/28/69, was fortunate to capture the Rolling Stones at the peak of their powers. By the time the Stones reached the east coast, they had played over a dozen shows and were musically tight and commanding. By all accounts from fans and critics alike who followed the 1969 tour, the Madison Square Garden shows were arguably the best performed shows of the tour.

Get Yer Ya Yas Out-considered to be one of the finest live rock records-per fans and music critics alike-understandably, was meant to capture the Rolling Stones in their most favorable light, but in retrospect (when comparing the commercially released performances to raw concert tapes that have proliferated on various social media platforms), unfortunately suffers from working too hard to be the perfect live document- it tends to go a little overboard- adding too much polish and sheen to the mix via inclusion of numerous post production overdubs and editing. It is no wonder that many Stones aficionados actually prefer the widely popular bootleg recording that became “Liver Than You’ll Ever Be”, simply because it features a raw and un-doctored performance from the 1969 tour-warts and all. In fact, legend has it that Ya Yas was released to counter sales of Liver.

We in the Stones fan-base community have longed to hear all three MSG shows (minus the excessive vocal/instrumental overdubs & extraneous editing) released in excellent quality in order to experience a true representation of being at a Rolling Stones concert in 1969! Why release all three shows-given that there was minor variability in the setlists? Based upon available bootleg/audience recordings of these shows, it is clear that the Rolling Stones played brilliantly at all three performances- each particular show highlighting & capturing unique, distinctive signature performances that were not readily available on the original Ya Yas release.

Lastly, it has been reported that the Maysles brothers, who directed the infamous Gimme Shelter documentary, had professionally shot video of these concerts at Madison Square that had not been included in the film. Please consider this: At this point in time, there has never been a commercially released video featuring a complete concert from one of the Rolling Stones best tours! What an amazing, historical, and visually entertaining document that would be. The inclusion of professionally shot concert footage would undoubtably enhance, and thus make for a stellar, sought-after release!

In conclusion, what a better time to honor the 60th anniversary of the Rolling Stones as a working band by releasing the Madison Square Garden shows in their entirety when the band was playing at its zenith. Please consider this request as we strongly believe that there is a sizeable market of fans, both established and new, who not only appreciate great quality music from the 1960’s, but are astute enough to recognize how vital and powerful the Rolling Stones as group were when they returned to the American concert stage in 1969. We, the undersigned, in the Stones community feel that the time is well overdue for these shows to be released in great quality (and in their entirety) for all fans to hear!

The next step in the process is to enlist help from other folks on this forum (or know somebody else not affiliated with this forum who is talented) to help out with tasks that I simply don’t know how to do and/or don’t have the skill-sets for (the biggest task being getting the petition on-line):

1) I need someone who is more computer literate than me who can turn the proposal that I have written into a working petition on line that is easy to get to and use where people can go to sign it (in 2007, one of my collaborators who worked on the Ya Yas Project set up a petition on line that was free, safe and easily assessable- although I hadn’t the foggiest how he did it) .
As people are skittish about signing their names and/or providing personal info, all I request is that the petition be made easy so all that is necessary is that you can type in your name and location (for instance: Scott Sigel, Rochester, NY). We might want to have an optional box for e-mail address?
When we (hopefully) get a good number of signatures, the petition will be presented to Abkco & the Stones organization.

2) I will need other “influential” folks on this site who inhabit other Stones boards to do a little publicity for the petition and make other “influential” people aware of it. Also, I was lucky to have some collaborators on the Ya Yas Project who knew of or were acquainted with Stones connected people who could pitch the petition and make sure it got to the right folks. I don’t have a clue on this board who knows who, but if you indeed have a valuable Stones connection, and can help out, that would be greatly appreciated.

3) Finally, I will do some research to find and place an ad or ads (hopefully in reasonably priced) music trade publications like I did in 2007 to publicize and direct folks to sign the petition.

For those who are willing to help and can fulfill some of these tasks, you can respond on this thread or contact me privately at ssigel@rochester.rr.com . Once again, thanks to all who support this proposal, Scott Sigel aka Sighunt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 16:26 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 22, 2022 15:40

Brilliant.
Great work

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 22, 2022 15:52

ProfessorWolf
also i'd love to see the rejected ya ya's cover by ethan russell incorporated in the album art in someway if not the album cover its self

Can you post a pic of the rejected cover,please?

This project could make a profit for sure if it was available for download only. I know that's not the point.

Date: February 22, 2022 15:55

great job

when available i will sign it

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: February 22, 2022 16:01

exilestones
ProfessorWolf

This project could make a profit for sure if it was available for download only. I know that's not the point.

This is the rejected cover I believe

Ethan Russell twitter about the cover

[mobile.twitter.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 16:08 by oldschool.

Date: February 22, 2022 16:13

oldschool
exilestones
ProfessorWolf

[mobile.twitter.com]

me too!thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 16:14 by Sighunt.

Date: February 22, 2022 16:17

oldschool
exilestones
ProfessorWolf

[mobile.twitter.com]

that's the one

mick rejected it because of the joint

i think society has moved to a point in the las 50 years where the larger public is able to accept the possibility that the stones might smoke pot

and that this photo would make a great album cover for the msg 69 boxset

Date: February 22, 2022 16:43

ProfessorWolf
oldschool
exilestones
ProfessorWolf

[mobile.twitter.com]

that's the one

i think society has moved to a point in the las 50 years where the larger public is able to accept the possibility that the stones might smoke pot

Considering Cannabis is legal in a bunch of States here in the US and also in some other countries now I think the stigma is fading so that cover would be fantastic for a Boxset of the Ya Ya shows.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:09

oldschool
ProfessorWolf
oldschool
exilestones
ProfessorWolf

[mobile.twitter.com]

that's the one

Considering Cannabis is legal in a bunch of States here in the US and also in some other countries now I think the stigma is fading so that cover would be fantastic for a Boxset of the Ya Ya shows.

And I love that Charlie is still included on the rejected cover. thumbs up Though not sure how the powers at Abkco will feel about a picture of Allen with his eyes blocked over (at least I think it's Allen?)

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:13

oldschool
ProfessorWolf
oldschool
exilestones
ProfessorWolf

[mobile.twitter.com]

that's the one

In some ways I like it too. It's fun to see the collection of relics. Still I don't understand why the tourposter from 1970 is in there. Also (IMO) it feels too staged with the joint and wiskey (or whatever it is).

Date: February 22, 2022 17:33

since ya ya's came out in 1970

maybe the photo can be interpreted as (since it's supposed to mick's suitcase) that micks packing up and heading off from america (with all the things he brought and gathered there) to the next tour in eroupe

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:39

I'm a few days late as it relates to this post, but thanks Sighunt for your gargantuan efforts. A project along the lines you have proposed has been too long in coming. Should it come to fruition there will be thousands of overjoyed Stones fans gladly willing to purchase a high quality boxed set the of the MSG 69 concerts, especially if a well mastered high SQ DVD were included. I support this project 100%. I don't know what I can add professionally to this endeavor, but I would gladly sign any petition.

The rejected Russell Ya Ya's cover is also an excellent idea. Cool layout.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:45

The naked woman Photo for PC reasons would have to go to be replaced by a photo of Bill Wyman, so we have the greatest rhythm section in rock history

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 17:48 by Taylor1.

Date: February 22, 2022 17:47

ProfessorWolf
since ya ya's came out in 1970

maybe the photo can be interpreted as (since it's supposed to mick's suitcase) that micks packing up and heading off from america (with all the things he brought and gathered there) to the next tour in eroupe

Yep, and the Euro-tour started four days after Ya-Ya's came out.

Date: February 22, 2022 18:44

OT- but 1969 tour related there is a copy of Ethan Russell's massive slip cased "Let It Bleed" book on ebay right now with the current bid just over $100.

If you don't already have the book it is a fantastic photo journey of the 1969 tour with great interviews. Be aware the book is big and heavy so it is not one you can hold in your hand to read but is a steal for that price or anything close to it.

2.5 hours left in the auction. I would bid on it if I did not already own a copy.

[www.ebay.com]

Date: February 22, 2022 19:43

Sighunt
Ok, I’m back. Did you guys miss my many posts? LOL. I thought I’d take a brief pause- don’t want to wear out my welcome-after all, familiarity can breed contempt so they say…
Anyway, back to business. After receiving some insightful feedback from people who post on this forum (and receiving private e-mails with suggestions), I cleaned up the proposal-the current working title (until I get a better catch phrase from posters)-The Rolling Stones MSG box set, stream-lined it a bit-keeping the essential elements, and thus making it easier to read in order to keep the attention of the reader. I may be biased but I’m extremely happy with the final result. Please note, I have tried to take into consideration the different types of feedback I have received, but the reality is some suggestions were simply above and beyond the context and scope of what this proposal was trying to accomplish, and I cannot honestly entertain all the suggestions as the final result would suffer from what I would describe as the “too many cooks in the kitchen” syndrome. Much of the feedback I received requested that I turn the original written document into a working petition, so that is what I did.

We in the Rolling Stones fan-base community are strongly advocating for a release of a potential box set containing all three of the professionally recorded shows from Madison Square Garden utilized for the Get Yer Ya Yas Out live in-concert album. Glyn Johns, legendary engineer and producer who recorded these brilliant performances on 11/27/69 and 11/28/69, was fortunate to capture the Rolling Stones at the peak of their powers. By the time the Stones reached the east coast, they had played over a dozen shows and were musically tight and commanding. By all accounts from fans and critics alike who followed the 1969 tour, the Madison Square Garden shows were arguably the best performed shows of the tour.

Get Yer Ya Yas Out-considered to be one of the finest live rock records-per fans and music critics alike-understandably, was meant to capture the Rolling Stones in their most favorable light, but in retrospect (when comparing the commercially released performances to raw concert tapes that have proliferated on various social media platforms), unfortunately suffers from working too hard to be the perfect live document- it tends to go a little overboard- adding too much polish and sheen to the mix via inclusion of numerous post production overdubs and editing. It is no wonder that many Stones aficionados actually prefer the widely popular bootleg recording that became “Liver Than You’ll Ever Be”, simply because it features a raw and un-doctored performance from the 1969 tour-warts and all. In fact, legend has it that Ya Yas was released to counter sales of Liver.

We in the Stones fan-base community have longed to hear all three MSG shows (minus the excessive vocal/instrumental overdubs & extraneous editing) released in excellent quality in order to experience a true representation of being at a Rolling Stones concert in 1969! Why release all three shows-given that there was minor variability in the setlists? Based upon available bootleg/audience recordings of these shows, it is clear that the Rolling Stones played brilliantly at all three performances- each particular show highlighting & capturing unique, distinctive signature performances that were not readily available on the original Ya Yas release.

Lastly, it has been reported that the Maysles brothers, who directed the infamous Gimme Shelter documentary, had professionally shot video of these concerts at Madison Square that had not been included in the film. Please consider this: At this point in time, there has never been a commercially released video featuring a complete concert from one of the Rolling Stones best tours! What an amazing, historical, and visually entertaining document that would be. The inclusion of professionally shot concert footage would undoubtably enhance, and thus make for a stellar, sought-after release!

In conclusion, what a better time to honor the 60th anniversary of the Rolling Stones as a working band by releasing the Madison Square Garden shows in their entirety when the band was playing at its zenith. Please consider this request as we strongly believe that there is a sizeable market of fans, both established and new, who not only appreciate great quality music from the 1960’s, but are astute enough to recognize how vital and powerful the Rolling Stones as group were when they returned to the American concert stage in 1969. We, the undersigned, in the Stones community feel that the time is well overdue for these shows to be released in great quality (and in their entirety) for all fans to hear!

The next step in the process is to enlist help from other folks on this forum (or know somebody else not affiliated with this forum who is talented) to help out with tasks that I simply don’t know how to do and/or don’t have the skill-sets for (the biggest task being getting the petition on-line):

1) I need someone who is more computer literate than me who can turn the proposal that I have written into a working petition on line that is easy to get to and use where people can go to sign it (in 2007, one of my collaborators who worked on the Ya Yas Project set up a petition on line that was free, safe and easily assessable- although I hadn’t the foggiest how he did it) .
As people are skittish about signing their names and/or providing personal info, all I request is that the petition be made easy so all that is necessary is that you can type in your name and location (for instance: Scott Sigel, Rochester, NY). We might want to have an optional box for e-mail address?
When we (hopefully) get a good number of signatures, the petition will be presented to Abkco & the Stones organization.

2) I will need other “influential” folks on this site who inhabit other Stones boards to do a little publicity for the petition and make other “influential” people aware of it. Also, I was lucky to have some collaborators on the Ya Yas Project who knew of or were acquainted with Stones connected people who could pitch the petition and make sure it got to the right folks. I don’t have a clue on this board who knows who, but if you indeed have a valuable Stones connection, and can help out, that would be greatly appreciated.

3) Finally, I will do some research to find and place an ad or ads (hopefully in reasonably priced) music trade publications like I did in 2007 to publicize and direct folks to sign the petition.

For those who are willing to help and can fulfill some of these tasks, you can respond on this thread or contact me privately at ssigel@rochester.rr.com . Once again, thanks to all who support this proposal, Scott Sigel aka Sighunt.

I'm doing a little research (I'm not techno-savvy, not in my wheelhouse) and I need a little feedback from folks who are following this thread to look at this website, read it, and tell me what you think is the most popular, easiest, accessible (and free) on-line petition website to use:
[www.online-tech-tips.com]

If the site you find is user friendly, I will take a stab at it and post my proposal.

Also, per one of the specific websites I looked at, they want a catchy title in the subject line to grab attention. Please get creative (without being too ridiculous).

Here's one that I came up with: Get Yer Ya Yas Out and Support the MSG Box!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 19:49 by Sighunt.

Date: February 22, 2022 21:46

oldschool
OT- but 1969 tour related there is a copy of Ethan Russell's massive slip cased "Let It Bleed" book on ebay right now with the current bid just over $100.

If you don't already have the book it is a fantastic photo journey of the 1969 tour with great interviews. Be aware the book is big and heavy so it is not one you can hold in your hand to read but is a steal for that price or anything close to it.

2.5 hours left in the auction. I would bid on it if I did not already own a copy.

[www.ebay.com]

$100!?

i spent $9 for it at a goodwill 6 years ago

i had no idea it was valuable

but your right great book essential to have with the other books about the tour

Date: February 22, 2022 22:11

ProfessorWolf
oldschool

[www.ebay.com]

$100!?

There are several versions of the book. There is the shorter trade publication which is 239 pages and then there were two massive versions that come in a slip case and are 420 pages so almost twice as long.

I have the "Standard" version in the slip case and there was a Deluxe version in an even fancier clamshell slipcase with a bonus 8x10 real photo from the negatives of one of the shots Russell took on tour.

[shop.ethanrussell.com]

Here is a pic of my "standard" edition partially out of the slipcase showing you some perspective of the size.

If you got the book for $9 I am guessing it is the smaller trade version which is still a killer book but the larger formats have many more photos and interviews with the band and entourage on that tour not in the smaller trade version

The larger format "standard edition" on eBay just sold for $102 which is a steal for that version of the book as it retails for $325 not including shipping which is not cheap for such a massive book.

Sorry for the OT so I will not hijack the thread any longer and let's get back to the petition!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-23 05:03 by oldschool.

Date: February 23, 2022 10:14

oldschool
ProfessorWolf
oldschool

[www.ebay.com]

$100!?

There are several versions of the book. There is the shorter trade publication which is 239 pages and then there were two massive versions that come in a slip case and are 420 pages so almost twice as long.

I have the "Standard" version in the slip case and there was a Deluxe version in an even fancier clamshell slipcase with a bonus 8x10 real photo from the negatives of one of the shots Russell took on tour.

[shop.ethanrussell.com]

Here is a pic of my "standard" edition partially out of the slipcase showing you some perspective of the size.

If you got the book for $9 I am guessing it is the smaller trade version which is still a killer book but the larger formats have many more photos and interviews with the band and entourage on that tour not in the smaller trade version

The larger format "standard edition" on eBay just sold for $102 which is a steal for that version of the book as it retails for $325 not including shipping which is not cheap for such a massive book.

Sorry for the OT so I will not hijack the thread any longer and let's get back to the petition!

wow didn't know that version existed

your right i have the trade version

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2022 10:17

Hey Yeah ... Thats the BIG Deluxe edition .....

Beautifully put-together but ya need arms
of steel if ya gonna hold it for a long time ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: February 24, 2022 23:03

Interesting thread, I actually created this facebook page back in 2019 on the run up to the 50th anniversary of Ya-Ya's release.

Release a new 50th Anniversary Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: February 26, 2022 04:04

any more progress sighing?

Date: February 26, 2022 05:49

I'm down with everyone on the petition for sure. In the meantime, does anybody know whether these supposed SBD versions on cd are great?

[www.giginjapan.com]

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-26 05:50 by charlesbaudelaire.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1211
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home